Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 613518 times)

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #3080 on: June 13, 2017, 04:10:36 pm »
To me I dont see how its boring when there is quality basketball on display.
The only fans who think the current NBA is boring, the fans of the sides who have no chance of winning the title.

Looking forward to draft now, hopefully my Lakers select Lonzo otherwise Magic would of already made a terrible start as team pres.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3081 on: June 13, 2017, 04:47:08 pm »
The only fans who think the current NBA is boring, the fans of the sides who have no chance of winning the title.

Looking forward to draft now, hopefully my Lakers select Lonzo otherwise Magic would of already made a terrible start as team pres.

You are right in both opinions. By the way, i think it's certain you'll get him, i keep reading "Lakers are not sure, they have concerns for Lonzo's conditioning" etc news but i think they say that to make sure Boston doesn't pick him as #1. That being said, it will be interesting how you guys handle his big mouth dad.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3082 on: June 13, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
didn't manage to catch a single game of the finals, recorded last nights, is it worth watching with knowing the result?

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3083 on: June 13, 2017, 05:49:15 pm »
I suppose the league is boring in the sense that we seemingly know who's going to be in the Finals for the next couple of years. But the Finals were great fun to watch I thought, the level was unbelievable.

Well played, Golden State.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #3084 on: June 13, 2017, 05:50:11 pm »
Currently 3 of the 4 best players of both Warriors and Cavs ( teams who made the finals last 3 years) is through drafting.

Warriors drafted Curry, Klay and Green; signed Durant in offseason. Cavs drafted Lebron, Kyrie and Tristan Thompson and got Kevin Love from a trade (gave away their 2014 #1 pick). So, good recruiting can do miracles in this league imo.
You forgot to mention one very important thing that's is the main reason why they are so stacked, that is Curry's contract. He is paid less than Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith for example, the reason being that he had some bad injury problems on his ankles on his first few seasons and so was signed on the cheap. This is obviously going to change this summer when he signs a new deal but that's what let them build that ridiculous roster.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3085 on: June 13, 2017, 05:54:00 pm »
Downtown Josh Brown‏  @ReformedBroker
NBA champion Warriors skipping the White House visit, as a unanimous team decision per reports.
I'd send Matt Barnes.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3086 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »
You forgot to mention one very important thing that's is the main reason why they are so stacked, that is Curry's contract. He is paid less than Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith for example, the reason being that he had some bad injury problems on his ankles on his first few seasons and so was signed on the cheap. This is obviously going to change this summer when he signs a new deal but that's what let them build that ridiculous roster.

Absolutely. That increase in new CBA helped a lot. Come to think of it, i would go ahead and say that if Cavs kept Wiggins along with Lebron and Kyrie it could have been better because following year with the increase, they would be able to sign a star FA anyways.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »
Lonzo is great but I'd much rather have Fultz as a Laker fan.

Lonzo-DLo is a nightmare on defence. Fultz is agile and quick so you have stuff to work with but Lonzo is too slow and cumbersome to work on D alongside DLo. Fultz is also the closest thing to a guaranteed all star in this draft; and if he doesn't quite reach superstar levels, the Lakers could always attract a player of that calibre in free agency.

If I'm Minny, I go Ball. If I'm Philly, I go Ball. Anybody else should pick Fultz though.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: June 13, 2017, 06:05:06 pm »

Lonzo-DLo is a nightmare on defence. Fultz is agile and quick so you have stuff to work with but Lonzo is too slow and cumbersome to work on D alongside DLo. Fultz is also the closest thing to a guaranteed all star in this draft; and if he doesn't quite reach superstar levels, the Lakers could always attract a player of that calibre in free agency.

If I'm Minny, I go Ball. If I'm Philly, I go Ball. Anybody else should pick Fultz though.

Philly needs outside shooting, preferably someone who doesn't need the ball a lot to do damage. If/when Joel plays, his usage rate is extremely high, and apparently they're still planning to mould Simmons into a point forward. They can't afford to have another ball dominant player, especially with the concerns about Lonzo's shooting mechanics. Someone like Malik Monk from Kentucky would be a perfect fit for them, from the little amount of NCAA I've seen this year, but looking at most mock drafts 3 seems to be a bit high for him, most people have him in the 6-10 range.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3089 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »

I have a feeling once they get a good offer, they won't keep D'Angelo Russell. I assume prior to Paul George's arrival, so this is his last year unless he is traded after All star game. He had his chances anyways. Just how did thr Lakers fck it up by not drafting Porzingis (thank Lord it didn't happen)

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #3090 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
Philly needs outside shooting, preferably someone who doesn't need the ball a lot to do damage. If/when Joel plays, his usage rate is extremely high, and apparently they're still planning to mould Simmons into a point forward. They can't afford to have another ball dominant player, especially with the concerns about Lonzo's shooting mechanics. Someone like Malik Monk from Kentucky would be a perfect fit for them, from the little amount of NCAA I've seen this year, but looking at most mock drafts 3 seems to be a bit high for him, most people have him in the 6-10 range.
A shooter is really needed. Simmons' shot is already sketchy. A lot of the fans like Fox, but his shooting terrifies me. If Simmons is going to be the primary ball handler, someone needs to be at least some bit of a threat on the perimeter. I think I would be fine with any of Lonzo, Jackson, or Smith Jr. Open to taking Monk at three even if it is a reach.

If Lonzo is still there at three, I would take him. His release is slow, but he seems to have range and a decent stepback to create some space. The passing in a Simmons, Saric, Ball line-up would be awesome to watch.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3091 on: June 13, 2017, 06:42:38 pm »
didn't manage to catch a single game of the finals, recorded last nights, is it worth watching with knowing the result?

I would recommend watching it. I am biased since I am a Warriors fan, but I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3092 on: June 13, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

Lonzo isn't ball dominant at all... his usage rate is historically low and his TS% is the highest of any college guard recorded. He's all about quick facilitating and movement. The main problem for him on offense is creating his own shot (he doesn't do well inside the paint at all) and if his spot up shot doesn't translate to the NBA then you're looking at a slightly better Ricky Rubio on offense with worse defense. But he won't have to be creating his own shot if he's on the Sixers, because Simmons, Embiid, Saric is enough attacking options. Lonzo's spot up shooting is great too, but obviously there's the hoohaa about if it transfers or not.

Monk would be a good fit for Philly too, fwiw. And you're right, he's high at 3, I'd probably trade down if I was Philly. There isn't enough difference between 3 and 7/8 really, and I really don't want to be a team that's taking Josh Jackson at 3.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:41:12 pm by Shaved Crossbar »

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: June 13, 2017, 06:50:04 pm »
I have a feeling once they get a good offer, they won't keep D'Angelo Russell. I assume prior to Paul George's arrival, so this is his last year unless he is traded after All star game. He had his chances anyways. Just how did thr Lakers fck it up by not drafting Porzingis (thank Lord it didn't happen)

I'm not sure they will get a good offer for DLo, but he has shown signs of improvement tbf.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3094 on: June 13, 2017, 07:11:34 pm »
I would recommend watching it. I am biased since I am a Warriors fan, but I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

God knows i was sweating when the lead went down to 2 from 16 :-X

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »
Downtown Josh Brown‏  @ReformedBroker
NBA champion Warriors skipping the White House visit, as a unanimous team decision per reports.

We should send Draymond there alone ;D

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3096 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:11 pm »
God knows i was sweating when the lead went down to 2 from 16 :-X

Honestly. It took until about the two minute mark in the 4th quarter before I calmed down.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #3097 on: June 13, 2017, 10:46:22 pm »
As a Raps fan I didn't really give a shit which team won the finals, I didn't see any of the games and haven't really read about them either. Congrats to the Warriors but I'm looking forward to a time when more than 2 teams can actually compete to win it all again.

Couldn't agree more.
To me I dont see how its boring when there is quality basketball on display.

Only in the Finals. The playoffs were dire before (for me at least).
Cavs and Warriors went 28-1 on the way to the Finals matchup.
Here's hoping one of the Eastern teams can push the Cavs to 6 games next season.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: June 13, 2017, 11:51:16 pm »
News..

Warriors Confident Steve Kerr Will Coach In 17-18

Warriors Have Yet To Make Decision On Visiting White House

Celtics Not In 'Punt Mode' But Not Interested In Short-Term Moves

Rockets May 'Up Risk Profile, Get Even More Aggressive' To Compete With Warriors

Game 5 Draws Highest Rating Since 1998

David Blatt Finalizing Return To Maccabi Tel Aviv

Warriors Trying To Trade Into Draft

Pair Of Game 5 Tickets Sold For NBA-Record $133,000

Wolves Expected To Pursue Jrue Holiday, George Hill, Jeff Teague
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:56:54 am by elsewhere »

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:44 am »
Cavs-Warriors destroying the rest of the league is awesome, just like the Premier League was at its best when Man Utd and Arsenal won 20 consecutive titles or whatever the fuck it was.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: June 14, 2017, 06:51:22 am »
Game 6 Draws Highest Rating Since 1998

Errrrrm...

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: June 14, 2017, 09:56:43 am »
Errrrrm...
Haha, my bad, supposed to be Game 5 obviously. ;D

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3102 on: June 14, 2017, 11:43:53 am »
Haha, my bad, supposed to be Game 5 obviously. ;D

Thought as much ;D Was scared that all the Cavs in 9 jokes were for real and I missed the game...

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3103 on: June 14, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »
Cavs-Warriors destroying the rest of the league is awesome, just like the Premier League was at its best when Man Utd and Arsenal won 20 consecutive titles or whatever the fuck it was.
Well, at least in basketball this present dominance can't be sustained for much longer. Just an exceptional set of circumstances.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #3104 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
Here's hoping one of the Eastern teams can push the Cavs to 6 games next season.

Chicago Bulls.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3105 on: June 15, 2017, 12:10:55 pm »
Adam Silver has supported the idea of the Warriors-Cavs dominance saying that NBA fans want to watch excellence, and they proved that by tuning into these Finals with record ratings.

Silver told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that the Warriors aren't a problem for the NBA, the rest of the league needs to catch up.

"Rather than focusing on the top of the league, we should be focusing on the rest of the league," Silver said.  "Rather than talking about how to break up or knock down a championship-caliber team, my focus should be on how we do a better job developing more great players in this league."

The Warriors built this juggernaut with three of their top four players coming in the draft, and none of them were a top-5 pick.

"And yes, an incredible free agent was added to that squad," Silver said. "All the focus seems to be on, 'They're too good' as opposed to, 'What is it we should be doing to create more great teams in this league?' That's what my response is."

"Let's create more great teams, rather than completely focus on one incredible team and whether that's seemingly unfair to the other team. I think it's the nature of competition. Ultimately, it's about raising the bar for all the teams in this league and celebrating excellence."

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3106 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:53 pm »
I agree with him. Gsw had 73 wins from a team they drafted, that's his point. The same team that won championship earlier. They added 1 free agent and actually had less wins but won the championship. The Knicks had multiple all stars and couldn't do crap, same for the nets, or the clippers.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3107 on: June 15, 2017, 12:17:26 pm »
Top 10 Free Agents & Teams Interested in Them:

Player Name (Teams Interested)
1. Kevin Durant (GSW)
2. Stephen Curry (GSW)
3. Chris Paul (SAS, LAC)
4. Blake Griffin (BOS, LAL, LAC, OKC)
5. Gordon Hayward (BOS, MIA, UTA)
6. Kyle Lowry (SAS, PHI, TOR)
7. Paul Millsap (MIA, POR, ATL)
8. Dwyane Wade (CHI)
9. Jrue Holiday (NYK, DAL, NOP)
10. Danilo Gallinari (MIA, BOS, DEN)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3108 on: June 15, 2017, 12:20:20 pm »
Warriors Will Offer Full Five-Year $205M Max To Stephen Curry

The Golden State Warriors are prepared to do everything possible to re-sign Stephen Curry in free agency.

Curry is eligible for a five-year, $205 million extension this offseason.

"We're going to do whatever it takes to keep Steph here and happy," Joe Lacob said. "And I know he wants to be here and we want him here. So, I do not anticipate any issues with him staying."

Curry signed a four-year, $44 million extension with the Warriors in 2012.

Curry indicated during the season that he can't see himself playing for another team.

TIM KAWAKAMI/SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3109 on: June 15, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
By the way, how stupid is it that NBA has named the Finals MVP but still no regular season MVP?

Doing this after the season is dusted just takes out all the momentum, i think many fans won't even know about the award winners until the start of next season. They should have kept it the way it was and release all the selections during the playoffs. Pushing it so far just made it lose all the excitement, at least in my opinion. I truly hope they won't do it again next season. Many people even forgot about this whole thing.

For those who don't know, regular season awards will take place on 26th of June on a nationally televised telecast on TNT.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #3110 on: June 15, 2017, 10:21:02 pm »

Draymond and LeBron are hilariously having a go at each other today.    :lmao

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #3111 on: June 16, 2017, 12:19:26 am »
Yeah was funny.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:23 am »
Draymond and LeBron are hilariously having a go at each other today.    :lmao

Was hillarious.

For those who have no idea

Draymond was wearing a shirt today at their parade with the word 'Quickie'' and with the trophy on it. To which Lebron responded by posting a picture of that shirt and saying ''that's what she said''

Draymond got the last word in saying that the dubs made Lebron go bald, and congratulated him

I'm delighted that Bron has finally said good bye to his hair and shaved that shit off. Now if only KD would follow suit.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3113 on: June 16, 2017, 04:37:35 am »
Draymond is a solid heel. Not enough of them in the modern game.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: June 16, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
I know a bit late, watched the highlights and some post-match reaction, but just watched the full game then. Well done to the warriors, and how can you not love KD! I imagine he won't be going anywhere after this.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3115 on: June 17, 2017, 12:20:36 am »
Strong rumours about the Sixers trading up to the top pick in the draft. In return Boston would get at least the third pick and a future first rounder.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3116 on: June 17, 2017, 12:34:00 am »
Strong rumours about the Sixers trading up to the top pick in the draft. In return Boston would get at least the third pick and a future first rounder.

The latest reports suggest that the future pick from Philadelphia will be Lakers' 2018 first round pick (unprotected). If that is true, Danny Ainge is only confirming his status as a genius. Boston will be getting Josh Jackson at No.3 in this year's draft, and they will hold Brooklyn's and Lakers' first round picks in 2018. Insane.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:42:05 am by PeterTheRed »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3117 on: June 17, 2017, 01:19:10 am »
The latest reports suggest that the future pick from Philadelphia will be Lakers' 2018 first round pick (unprotected). If that is true, Danny Ainge is only confirming his status as a genius. Boston will be getting Josh Jackson at No.3 in this year's draft, and they will hold Brooklyn's and Lakers' first round picks in 2018. Insane.

It's a tricky spot for the Celtics, cause on the one hand they would acquire amazing draft capital for the next year or two that could be great down the road, but at the same time they have a good current nucleus that has an expiration date within the next two or three years, especially if they fail to sign Hayward in the summer or if they (making a mistake in my opinion) end up signing Griffin.

Horford doesn't have more than a couple of years left in the tank at the top level, Bradley will bet PAID whether it's by the C's or by someone else, and then there's the issue of Isiah's new contract. You either pay 40M a year for a 5'9" guy until he's in his mid 30s or you decide to deal away your best player who's on an expiring contract.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: June 17, 2017, 03:06:26 am »
It's a tricky spot for the Celtics, cause on the one hand they would acquire amazing draft capital for the next year or two that could be great down the road, but at the same time they have a good current nucleus that has an expiration date within the next two or three years, especially if they fail to sign Hayward in the summer or if they (making a mistake in my opinion) end up signing Griffin.

Horford doesn't have more than a couple of years left in the tank at the top level, Bradley will bet PAID whether it's by the C's or by someone else, and then there's the issue of Isiah's new contract. You either pay 40M a year for a 5'9" guy until he's in his mid 30s or you decide to deal away your best player who's on an expiring contract.
I'm with you. Still trying to interpret the Celtics end game here. If their intention is to package those picks for Butler, I would call it a solid deal. It seems like by passing on Fultz, they are committing to Isiah long term. Too early to tell.

I would be pretty excited if the Sixers retain their players and can get Fultz for just an additional pick. In the end, this might be a good deal for both teams.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: June 17, 2017, 12:24:34 pm »

Well, it is safe to say that Ainge has put himself in a very good position. He is a top deal maker, so having all those assets would give him a hell of an advantage in the trade market, and getting Butler via trade might be a more realistic prospect now. With Johnson, Jerebko, Olynyk and their combined $20 million contracts off the books this summer, Ainge will have the chance to explore the free agent market and add to his core of Thomas, Horford, Bradley, Crowder and Smart. I agree that Hayward would be a great addition to this Celtics team, and would probably get them very close to the Cavs. I am also not so sure about Griffin, mostly because of his injuries in recent seasons, but if he can remain fit, his athleticism could be a huge asset for them.