Author Topic: Give Blood  (Read 23502 times)

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
Re: Give Blood
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:01 pm »
I can't because the Germans won't accept English blood.

For fucks sake.  It was nearly 70 years ago.  They should just forget about it all...
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2008, 10:37:39 pm »
I'll give blood when I'm 18.
My Dad gives blood regularly and last year he donated his Bone Marrow.
It's amazing to think that by giving a pint of blood a month you could be saving someone's life.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2008, 10:41:46 pm »
They won't let you donate that often. I think it's 16 weeks minimum between donations.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2008, 11:01:31 pm »
I can't because the Germans won't accept English blood.

Is that true ???
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2008, 11:08:14 pm »
Is that true ???

It'll be due to mad cow disease or something.

On my questionaire thing, it said "Have you ever had sex with someone from an area with high levels of HIV, such as Africa?"

I should have said "Well, I shagged a girl from Manchester, does that count?"  But I didn't ;)
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2008, 11:50:40 pm »
I havn't given blood for a long time. Used to all the time.

I won't be able to for a while longer now as I've had a tattoo.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:01 pm »
I've given blood for God knows how many years and was only stopped after serving in some far flung places.  I now live in Oz and like Branno my blood is not acceptable.   If you can give blood please, please do, it is vital to some people, you would be surpised how many people require it daily.  If you can also enquire about giving platelets.

Well done AS for starting the thread.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2008, 01:16:36 pm »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=114491.0  :wave

I think I'm upto about 9/10 times now. I love doing it as I know it really helps people.

It's different down here to what I'm hearing on here.....every session I go to, it's rammed full and sometimes you can't even get a seat whilst waiting. Admittedly, it's always after work / 6pm appt. I go....so must be busiest time for them. The nurses are sooooo friendly it's untrue.

Go and give blood if you can. It's so easy and you really make a difference...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:43 pm »
I've given blood loads of times.

It's easy to do and doesn't affect most people.

Very few I've gone with have felt a little tired afterwards.

But it's worthwhile.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:37 pm »
I've given blood loads of times.

It's easy to do and doesn't affect most people.

Very few I've gone with have felt a little tired afterwards.

But it's worthwhile.

Nice to see your spreading the anti-mancness, keep up the good work  :thumbup
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »
Found out today that I cant give blood, bit gutted but I will rest in the knowledge that I gave many an armful before the diabetes struck.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2008, 07:53:47 pm »
Martin Skrtel gives blood that he has taken from a stone.

Helly

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2008, 10:55:14 pm »
Registered to give blood last week, got the pack through and it says you have to be heavier than I am :(  Will have to eat more cake!

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:22 pm »
Just went down for my 4th session today, started last year been going every 3 months and the test they do (prick your finger) to test my blood iron levels was too low apparently. :(

My sister 2 weeks ago was told the same and it was her 4th time aswell.

I was given a pamphlet on reasons for this problem, relating to my diet.  I've been drinking topicana every morning followed by muesli and more or less have my 5 a day, I am not overweight.

Now I've been told i need to wait 1 year before i can donate again.  Anyone else had this problem.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:30 am »
They won't let you donate that often. I think it's 16 weeks minimum between donations.
Giving blood is great and I wouldn't discourage anyone, but donating platelets is really where it's at.

You can go every 4 weeks and platelets are actually far more useful to the medical profession than whole blood. For every single unit of platelets harvested, they would need to use 4 donations of whole blood to extract the same number of platelets.

I've been giving platelets for some years now, I think I'm somewhere in the region of 170 "credits", so have all the badges.

I've also been on the bone marrow register for years, and never been called for donation. To all those worried about the extraction of marrow, there used to be only one method, a large needle into the pelvic bone, done under general anaesthetic and requiring a hospital stay. Now there is a new method where a nurse can visit you at work or home, give a course of injections to encourage the marrow cells to enter the bloodstream and then harvest from a blood donation. Far less painful, so please, sign up!!
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2009, 08:24:18 am »
I have given it about 6 times now, but I don't think I am allowed for a while cos I have left the country. (Is this right? I remember them asking me last time about tattoos and leaving the country)

I have thought about the Bone Marrow thing but was frankly a little scared of the needle in the bone thing. Although as the post above says it's not like that anymore I might have to look into it.

I would urge anyone to give blood though regardless of blood type (if you're the most common the better). It does not hurt and you just feel the same after, if a tiny bit more tired. There are loads of places to give it now and it's open till late, so no real excuses. 
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 08:34:24 am »
Dave, it all depends where you have been as to whether they will disbar you for a while, usually what they are looking for are malarial countries, or sub-tropics, anywhere else is fine. I've travelled to Egypt and Tunisia and each time the service were fine with me continuing to donate.

Tats are an automatic 1 year disbarment, as are peircings
Every man has a dream

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:29 am »
Thanks for the reply. I went to the Philippines, which I am thinking might make me ineligible to give blood. I will have to check. Also America and a few places in Europe, but I assume these don’t effect.

I am seriously considering getting on the bone marrow list now that you have told me you only need injections. No chance I am doing it if someone has to stick a big needle in my bone as selfish as it sounds.

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:00 am »
I wanted to give blood ages back but thought I couldn't due to me being on Anti-Depressant medication, turns out I can.  I'm on the register so the next time I get a call up I'll go and do my bit, they can have whatever they want.

Also gonna consider the bone marrow one, in fact, probably will once I do a few of the blood donations!

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 11:00:02 am »
Giving blood is great and I wouldn't discourage anyone, but donating platelets is really where it's at.

I've given blood about 12 times now and I love it. I really get a satisfaction out of doing it and it really is simple. The waiting around is the worst bit, but you're only looking at about an hour, so not too long. My wife has just had to have 4 units of blood in 2 separate transfusions, so I feel even more pleased that I have given blood previously.

I will now look into giving platelets now though and possibly bone marrow.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
Can someone explain the process of giving platelets ?

Also where it can be done.

Ta

Online smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
Given blood many times, on the bone marrow donor list, and have a donor card.
Talked a work colleague into his first donation recently, he was on the bed about to donate when they told me I'd given less than 16 weeks ago (by about 1 week), so couldn't do it that day, so had to leave him on his own, he still thinks it was a conspiracy!  :)

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2009, 11:34:32 am »
Can someone explain the process of giving platelets ?

Also where it can be done.

Ta
Me!!

You'd need to check locally where you can give, over here in NI the only place is at the NI Blood Transfusion Service HQ at City Hospital.

Platelets are harvested by a process called apheresis. The basics are that you lie on a nice comfy bed and have a needle inserted as per usual.

The needle is slightly wider than the norm but not so much as to cause discomfort. From the needle the tubing runs into what is basically a large centrifuge which will separate the blood into constituent parts and skim off the platelets. The rest of the blood, the red cells, white cells, plasma etc is returned to you via a return tube and the same needle (this is why it's slightly larger. This is done over the course of a number of cycles (donate, spin, return, donate, spin, return...). An anti-coagulant is also used and this can sometimes cause a tingling sensation in the gums.

For 1 unit of platelets the whole process normally takes about 40 minutes, but you can also "do a double" and give 2 units in 1 session. As most of the blood products are returned, you are ready to donate again in 4 weeks.

During the session the donor attendents keep you stocked with tea/coffee and biccies.
Every man has a dream

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 12:01:54 pm »
They take platelets at the moorfields site if that helps Dave  :wave
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »
Ah right, thanks for the info (both of you). Even though I don't know where moorfields is lol. I will enquire to where the nearest place to me. The actually process of giving blood does not hurt at all, so I imagine this won’t bother me either.

At first I only gave blood cos I got the afternoon off work, but the sense of satisfaction is also decent! :)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »
Couldn't believe when i read over in Ireland and id say in most countries the blood banks are charging hospitals over 200 euro for a pint of blood .... raking in millions in profit.

At about $100 a barrel, oil is
considered an expensive resource.
But some estimates suggest that a
barrel of unmodified blood at
wholesale is worth in excess of
$20,000 and that the same amount
of blood after processing could be
worth as much as $60,000.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2009, 01:30:20 pm »
Couldn't believe when i read over in Ireland and id say in most countries the blood banks are charging hospitals over 200 euro for a pint of blood .... raking in millions in profit.

At about $100 a barrel, oil is
considered an expensive resource.
But some estimates suggest that a
barrel of unmodified blood at
wholesale is worth in excess of
$20,000 and that the same amount
of blood after processing could be
worth as much as $60,000.

I think The National Blood Service is linked to the NHS though. Maybe they charge to sell the blood to a private hospital.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »
Even though I don't know where moorfields is lol.

Very close to Liverpool Street Station / Barbican in London

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »
Very close to Liverpool Street Station / Barbican in London

Ah right, ta.

Hopefully there will be somewhere closer to me.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2009, 02:00:13 pm »
Ah right, ta.

Hopefully there will be somewhere closer to me.
Have a look here:

http://www.blood.co.uk/nhsbt_platelets/donationcentres/
Every man has a dream

Offline Xabity

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:36 pm »
Gave blood only three times but this thread made me look for when they'll be back round my neck of the woods again and fortunately they're here tomorrow so will have to pop down during lunch. Also didn't know about the platelets, might drop into the city hospital when I'm back up at uni

Has anyone donated bone marrow? its something I would like to do but i heard it's very sore. I wouldn't mind a bit of pain but how sore is it really?

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2009, 02:19:46 pm »
Gave blood only three times but this thread made me look for when they'll be back round my neck of the woods again and fortunately they're here tomorrow so will have to pop down during lunch. Also didn't know about the platelets, might drop into the city hospital when I'm back up at uni

Has anyone donated bone marrow? its something I would like to do but i heard it's very sore. I wouldn't mind a bit of pain but how sore is it really?
Xabity

It's generally one or the other with whole blood or platelets, once you are on the platelet panel, you no longer donate whole blood.

As for bone marrow, I have been on the register for about 8 years and have never been called forward for testing, never mind donation - usually several possible matches are found and then these are called forward for tests to ensure compatibility with the recipient. When I first gave my sample to enrol on the marrow panel (which is taken from a blood test) I was told that it would be unlikely that I would ever be called forward, as the odds of your marrow matching someone else's are remote,  but that the more people that registered the better the chance for actually finding a suitable match, if that makes sense.

Also see my earlier post on new methods of harvesting marrow.
Every man has a dream

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:05 pm »
I have kind of rare blood (A-) and I try to donate 4-5 times a year.  Over here in the US you can donate every 56 days.

I've never had any problems donating and If I can help someone, that's great!
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Pheeny

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »
Im not allowed to do so in Oz  :butt
and I'm not allowed to in Belgium.Any one who has lived in the UK in the 80's has got mad cows disease...   

Offline Meg7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:42 am »
I gave blood both times my school held the blood drive. Unfortunately I passed out after giving the second time (low blood pressure and being quite a bit smaller then most people)  but it was still was nice to know I was helping out.

Bunch of  morons gave blood even when they had tattoos. I didn't give as I knew the risks but we had about 4 or 5 who lied.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:12 am »
Any one who has lived in the UK in the 80's has got mad cows disease...   
True ;)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »
It'll be due to mad cow disease or something.

That's right. Do I win a prize for the latest reply?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »
Any one who has lived in the UK in the 80's has got mad cows disease...   

My wife was given 4 units of blood during July this year and has been told she can no longer give blood, due to the CJD subject. She will call them to find out more, but anyone on here know why it is? If her blood and my blood is good enough to 'have' until any kind of blood transfusion etc, what difference does it make after receiving blood? Do they not test for CJD?

Offline Eileen

• Industries
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2009, 03:42:39 pm »
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Eileen___
If you can speak Klingon just take your own life. It's too late for you. You can't unlearn that shit.

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »
I really want to give blood, but I had a blood transfusion in 1990, and that kind of counts me out. I carry an organ donor card; mainly due to the fact that my uncle had a heart transplant in 2002, and I want to be able to give someone a second chance at life when I'm gone.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.