Author Topic: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?  (Read 43257 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2023, 09:56:14 pm »
I turn 40 in April

Iceland....

thoughts?

the puffins, man. I love them and can also see whales maybe

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2023, 10:03:27 pm »
I turn 40 in April

Iceland....

thoughts?

the puffins, man. I love them and can also see whales maybe

It’s absolutely boss but mega mega expensive.

Anger inducingly expensive.

And it’s very well named.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2023, 10:17:27 pm »
Alarm set, 5am up for 8am flight to Tenerife 😎
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2023, 10:21:26 pm »
Alarm set, 5am up for 8am flight to Tenerife 😎

Good luck with the dust storm. Hope you get there without delays.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2023, 11:04:37 pm »

It’s absolutely boss but mega mega expensive.

Anger inducingly expensive.

And it’s very well named.

I get the money thing, sad but true

I will drink more than eat

and go as a cold person (I love winter clothes)

can I see puffins in April?
I can see whales

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2023, 07:10:34 am »
Good luck with the dust storm. Hope you get there without delays.

Yeah a nice on time flight would be good for once. Check-in and security was a breeze, we got taken out of the queue and fast tracked through 👌
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2023, 07:56:21 am »
Yeah a nice on time flight would be good for once. Check-in and security was a breeze, we got taken out of the queue and fast tracked through 👌

Only right for the King and Queen of The Canaries!

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2023, 08:33:37 am »

I can see whales

April might be slightly early, May through July is best to see them in the UK. I went to Farne in Northumberland in June last year and saw plenty close up as an alternative option.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2023, 09:11:42 am »

Alcohol is one of the more pricey purchases in Iceland.

A few of my friends have been in recent years and the advice I gave them was to take some drink with them and have a few drinks in the hotel/Airbnb before going out.

Couple of bottles of spirits in the check-in luggage/purchased from Duty Free and you'll save yourself a fortune.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2023, 09:24:02 am »
Alcohol is one of the more pricey purchases in Iceland.

A few of my friends have been in recent years and the advice I gave them was to take some drink with them and have a few drinks in the hotel/Airbnb before going out.

Couple of bottles of spirits in the check-in luggage/purchased from Duty Free and you'll save yourself a fortune.
It was £10 a pint when we were there. In our hotel it was £80 for two pints and cod and chips each for two of us.

Iceland is great, but hellishly expensive. A bloody fridge magnet for my Mum was a tenner.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2023, 09:25:30 am »
Being the famous Rob from RAWK clearly cuts a lot of ice.

Enjoy your holiday. 😎🌞
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2023, 10:59:10 am »
I turn 40 in April
the puffins, man. I love them

Taste like chicken?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2023, 05:53:58 pm »
When I look at the Easyjet website, I see at Sicily is good value.

Has anyone ever been, would you recommend it for a family with primary school age kids?
Justice for the 96!

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2023, 09:26:49 am »
When I look at the Easyjet website, I see at Sicily is good value.

Has anyone ever been, would you recommend it for a family with primary school age kids?

I've been a couple of times. What sort of holiday do you want?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2023, 10:32:37 am »
Booked Mexico (Riviera Maya) in June. Outside of Cancun.

Totally different kind of holiday for us so very excited 

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2023, 11:01:01 am »

I can see whales
Just go to Aberdaron in Gwynedd , you can see puffins all year round and never mind see Wales you'll be in Wales  :lmao :lmao :lmao
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:03:19 am by Saltashscouse »
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2023, 11:10:30 am »
Check-in and security was a breeze, we got taken out of the queue and fast tracked through 👌

Security had to remove Rob for disturbing other passengers due to his screaming.  This was on account of his youngest plucking the hairs from his legs :)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2023, 01:12:39 pm »
I've been a couple of times. What sort of holiday do you want?

Family friendly hotel with a pool and the opportunity to do a bit of sight seeing.
Justice for the 96!

Offline gav91v

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2023, 01:37:53 pm »
Anybody driven in the US before?

Hiring a car for a California Road Trip next month and not sure what I need insurance wise. It seems they have so many different options and I'm not sure what is a must have and what is an optional extra?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2023, 02:23:00 pm »
Family friendly hotel with a pool and the opportunity to do a bit of sight seeing.

If you are looking at flying to either Trapani or Palermo, have a look at staying at either San Vito Lo Capo or Cefalu. I've not been to either but understand there are resorts here and both are quite easy to get to/from Palermo.

Palermo itself is not a particularly family-friendly place - it's quite spread out and is rough around the edges. I loved it (the food is spectacular) but can't imagine people going there with a young family.

If you are thinking of flying to Catania, have a look at Taormina. This is where the recent season of White Lotus was filmed. Plenty of options for accommodation but it is the 'up market' place to stay in Sicily so prices might reflect this.

In terms of sight-seeing, Agrigento, on the south coast, is spectacular and there are a lot of interesting towns in the south-east. I'd particularly recommend Noto, Modica and Syracusa for days out. I wouldn't overly rave about the west coast so give that area a miss.

Driving is easy, we've driven across the island without any problems.

Bear in mind that it is BAKING in the summer. You could be looking at 40ish degrees. When we visited Agrigento, it was almost unbearably hot - I wouldn't fancy walking any sort of distance with young kids in that sort of heat.

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2023, 11:11:08 pm »
I'm off to Bologna and Milan next month if anyone has any tips!
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2023, 11:49:26 pm »
I'm off to Bologna and Milan next month if anyone has any tips!
cheeky bugger - pay your own tips.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2023, 08:49:34 am »
If you are looking at flying to either Trapani or Palermo, have a look at staying at either San Vito Lo Capo or Cefalu. I've not been to either but understand there are resorts here and both are quite easy to get to/from Palermo.

Palermo itself is not a particularly family-friendly place - it's quite spread out and is rough around the edges. I loved it (the food is spectacular) but can't imagine people going there with a young family.

If you are thinking of flying to Catania, have a look at Taormina. This is where the recent season of White Lotus was filmed. Plenty of options for accommodation but it is the 'up market' place to stay in Sicily so prices might reflect this.

In terms of sight-seeing, Agrigento, on the south coast, is spectacular and there are a lot of interesting towns in the south-east. I'd particularly recommend Noto, Modica and Syracusa for days out. I wouldn't overly rave about the west coast so give that area a miss.

Driving is easy, we've driven across the island without any problems.

Bear in mind that it is BAKING in the summer. You could be looking at 40ish degrees. When we visited Agrigento, it was almost unbearably hot - I wouldn't fancy walking any sort of distance with young kids in that sort of heat.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, I really appreciate it.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2023, 08:54:43 am »
I'm trying to book a trip to Venice and Rome and then go straight to Madrid for the second leg from Rome, but we're also trying to sell our flat at the moment, and it looks like the completion date is going to fall exactly when we have booked time off to go, so we might have to scrap Venice and just go to Rome before Madrid. I'm desperate to book the trip but I can't until we exchange contracts and lock in the completion date. It's driving me fucking mad. :(
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2023, 09:19:52 pm »
Got a week in Croatia booked in July (Dubrovnik). Got a villa booked and will have 2 cars. Anyone got any places worth checking out around there? I know it was used to film Kings Landing in GoT but any suggestions would be great as never been to Croatia before

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2023, 08:28:31 am »
Got a week in Croatia booked in July (Dubrovnik). Got a villa booked and will have 2 cars. Anyone got any places worth checking out around there? I know it was used to film Kings Landing in GoT but any suggestions would be great as never been to Croatia before

Dubrovnik's great but can get unbearably busy in the height of summer, at least during the day when the cruise ships are in. Cavtat is a beautiful small resort about half an hour south and can be reached by water taxi. It's well worth spending the day there for a change. The recent Nick Cage film 'The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent' was shot on location in and around Cavtat. It was supposed to be Majorca, but I'm guessing filming in Croatia was cheaper.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2023, 09:08:42 am »
Crete and Cyprus were new destinations for me last year so I never twigged, but seeing as I've flown out of Tenerife about 15 times, it came as a shock, once airside, to have to go through an additional passport control to get to the gates, as you have to get your exit stamp. Normally you just grab some food, then breeze up to the gate as the last few are boarding.

When we watched the Derby, missus overhead a conversation about how they were pissed off as they usually did 3 months on Tenerife in the winter, went home for a bit, then flew back, but can't do this anymore. That's similar to what I planned for retirement, rent a place off the books for winter, come home, then have other holidays abroad.

Fucking Brexit.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2023, 10:05:53 am »
Argentina booked. Going in late September so weather should be nice and pleasant all over.

Plan is Buenos Aires -> Iguazu Falls -> Patagonia -> Mendoza -> Buenos Aires

Hoping to catch a River Plate game when we're in Buenos Aires.

Plenty of internal flights to catch and a few hours lost in a two week trip but I don't think there's much of an alternative as the country is so vast.

Really looking forward to it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2023, 11:39:30 am »
Just in Dubai after 11 nights in Maldives, doing 3 days here to split the flying up (was an hour seaplane and 4hr flight from Dubai to Maldives, so would have been 12+ hrs on a plane plus all the airport waiting around). Fly back to the UK tomorrow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2023, 11:51:04 am »
Contributing to sportswashing, boooo
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2023, 12:13:38 pm »
Contributing to sportswashing, boooo

;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2023, 12:29:50 pm »
Just in Dubai after 11 nights in Maldives, doing 3 days here to split the flying up (was an hour seaplane and 4hr flight from Dubai to Maldives, so would have been 12+ hrs on a plane plus all the airport waiting around). Fly back to the UK tomorrow.
Nice. I hope you had a great time. We'll be in the Maldives in a few weeks too. Can't wait.

*Dusts off snorkel*

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2023, 12:32:05 pm »
Argentina booked. Going in late September so weather should be nice and pleasant all over.

Plan is Buenos Aires -> Iguazu Falls -> Patagonia -> Mendoza -> Buenos Aires

Wow what a trip. Hope you like wine and beef  ;D

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2023, 12:36:54 pm »
Nice. I hope you had a great time. We'll be in the Maldives in a few weeks too. Can't wait.

*Dusts off snorkel*

Maldives was something else. Been some nice places in my life but that was on another level.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2023, 12:38:19 pm »
Maldives was something else. Been some nice places in my life but that was on another level.

Will definitely have to put it on the list. I haven't been somewhere tropical for awhile.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2023, 12:49:31 pm »
Went for my honeymoon. Was brilliant. Got sunburnt though. Bali and Maldives was amazing.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2023, 01:04:23 pm »
Went for my honeymoon. Was brilliant. Got sunburnt though. Bali and Maldives was amazing.

Bali is next on my list. My GF took her Mum last June for her Mum’s 60th and said it was amazing.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2023, 01:06:28 pm »
Bali is next on my list. My GF took her Mum last June for her Mum’s 60th and said it was amazing.

I went to Bali about 20 years ago for a Scuba diving trip, was fantastic! The food is amazing! The scuba diving was incredible.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2023, 01:06:45 pm »
Echo the thoughts on Maldives, very unique place. Just be very careful what time of year you go. The day we arrived it was a monsoon, my heart dropped. Thankfully the rest of the days were beautiful sunshine but heard stories of people being stuck in their room the whole holiday as it never stopped raining.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2023, 01:06:49 pm »
Definitely do it. The one location I could blissfully retire too. Gorgeous location. It's just perfect.