Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 213249 times)

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #3120 on: July 4, 2023, 03:53:54 pm »
Currently playing through Far Cry 5 - love the setting and the whole religious cult etc.  It's also a lot less "Ubisoftey" (things like no "towers" to climb, you don't need to kill every animal under the sun to get crafting materials etc) - and as a result, I don't think its's quite as "big" or bloated as the previous ones which is good.  Chose the Holland Valley region (John's) and did 100% it all, and will probably keep doing most of the side missions and "prepper stashes" (mainly as the perk points are really useful), but will skip the collectables for now.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3121 on: July 4, 2023, 05:02:16 pm »
Happy to get stuck into some Cold War now it's free, should be a decent bump in players.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3122 on: July 4, 2023, 05:06:47 pm »
Just like the real thing....it sounds absolutely awful. No idea how someone would want to listen to that constant, horrific drone the cars make for any length of time!

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3123 on: July 4, 2023, 08:23:16 pm »
Currently playing through Far Cry 5 - love the setting and the whole religious cult etc.  It's also a lot less "Ubisoftey" (things like no "towers" to climb, you don't need to kill every animal under the sun to get crafting materials etc) - and as a result, I don't think its's quite as "big" or bloated as the previous ones which is good.  Chose the Holland Valley region (John's) and did 100% it all, and will probably keep doing most of the side missions and "prepper stashes" (mainly as the perk points are really useful), but will skip the collectables for now.

It's my favourite of the Far Cry's. It got a SX upgrade as well so looks and plays so good as well. Love the setting as you've said, the religious cult thing is great because it's something I could actually see happening. I've been spending most of my time just doing the stashes and the outposts with a few of the main story missions peppered throughout. Heard good things about FC6 as well

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3124 on: July 4, 2023, 11:01:23 pm »
well I WAS playing rdr2 but for some reason, as of today, it won't even fucking start.

no idea why, it's not like anything's updated or anything like that. very irritating.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: July 5, 2023, 08:59:32 am »
BattleBit Remastered. Have soothed my Battlefield itch completely.

Never been much of a fan of those Minecraft/Voxel type games, but the gameplay faar outweighs that. Very good little game.

Mad to think it's made by just three people..
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: July 6, 2023, 02:45:36 am »
Tried to give Death Stranding a go - got about an hour in and was bored shitless.  Im sure it’s a masterpiece etc, but the gameplay did nothing for me, so I gave up.

I’m making my way through my backlog and it’s getting smaller and smaller.  And I'm worried because there’s not much coming out in the next few years that particularly interests me (especially at 30fps - I just cannot go back after the last couple of years playing 60fps on consoles.  And no, I don’t want to game on PC).  Every new or upcoming game seems to be a remake of games I have no interest in (e.g. Final Fantasy XIVIXVIV or whatever number it is).  Where are the “normal” action adventure games like Tomb Raider or Uncharted etc?
It's absolutely woeful, if it wasn't made by Kojima it would have been universally slated.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #3127 on: July 7, 2023, 03:14:53 pm »
Flipping hell, just started playing 6 days in Fallujah, what a bloody good game.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3128 on: July 11, 2023, 04:59:41 pm »
BattleBit Remastered. Have soothed my Battlefield itch completely.

Never been much of a fan of those Minecraft/Voxel type games, but the gameplay faar outweighs that. Very good little game.

Mad to think it's made by just three people..

It's fucking amazing ;D

A lot of my friends who've given up on Battlefield love it.
:D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3129 on: July 12, 2023, 12:29:46 pm »
Had a bit of a lull in gaming recently.

Downloaded Shadow of the Tomb Raider so going to give that a bash and the new Horizon.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3130 on: July 12, 2023, 05:08:05 pm »

Same for me. I think I just played a bit too much in the months before, so wasn't really motivated in recent weeks. Did also do some hardware upgrading with a new GPU, new powersupply and after having a horrible time trying to replace all the cable also a new case. Also have some new storage devices incoming...

I did buy a load of games though in the current Steam Summer Sale. Mainly, stuff to complete my collection like the newest Metro game and also some indie titles. Not sure I'll get to play them though as Jagged Alliance 3 is out this Friday and from a first pre-review it seems like it's finally a worthy successor of JA2.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: July 12, 2023, 06:34:49 pm »

Downloaded Shadow of the Tomb Raider so going to give that a bash and the new Horizon.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was the only one of the three in the new trilogy I didn't finish, I 100% completed the first 2, but Shadow just didn't stick with me in the same way.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3132 on: July 16, 2023, 03:33:17 pm »
Jagged Alliance 3. I just love this series and this is really a great return to the old classics of JA2 and JA after a shitload of failed attempts to reboot the series in recent years/decades. It's far from a perfect game, but if you liked the original JA-games you'll like this one. If you think it's like Xcom or other more modern turn based strategy combat games you might be disappointed.
This guy makes the point perfectly in this video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GddMTHg4yyc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GddMTHg4yyc</a>

The JA-series is much less about "the numbers" in my view. Of course stuff like the weapon you use, cover, the stance your merc is in, his stats, range, visibility and other things play a big part, but the focus is more on strategy and how you're positioning your team members. By not giving you the "95 percent hit chance" the game is much less frustrating and it just kind of forces you to make decisions based on what seems reasonable. A lot of the criticism I'm reading on Steam seems to be based on those wrong expectations of it being another Xcom or a modern turn-based strategy game. If you know the original series, I don't think you'll have any issues getting into the new one, because it plays very much the same, but has also added some new features (like overwatch) that fit very well.

Overall (not only looking at the actual combat) I think they've done a great job of capturing the old JA-spirit. I like the big map overview with all those places you can got to. Great interactions so far with some of the NPCs and more quests it seems. Quests were great in JA2, but I would have loved it, if there were even more side-quests you could do. It seems in JA3 they've addressed that issue.

However, there are some things I don't really like that much. The UI (outside combat) is just a complete mess. Not sure, whether they'll give that an overhaul at one point, but one thing they really have to fix is the inventory management which is a horror show at the moment. It feels like it was done for a console game even though the game isn't even released on console. You have to manage your weapons, various ammo types and multiple squads and stashes and it's an absolute clusterfuck. You can't sort things, you can't transfer items from one squad to another without multiple clicks and switching between them and the screen they make you use to do all that only you shows you a fraction of the things you need without scrolling or clicking/switching between characters/squads. They really need to fix that (or if they don't hopefully a modder will do it).

From the looks of it, they seem to encourage modding of the game. There's a Steam workshop from day one and Haemimont themselves have put things there already (like a mod that gives you hit-percentages). JA2 had loads of mods and the biggest one is still going to this day and is still getting updates I think. So, the community seem to be willing to put in some work themselves to improve the gameplay experience or add new things. I hope the base game is a good starting point for that and that loads of JA2-players make the switch and like the new one.

The only other thing I don't really like so far (except from the UI) is that they left out Bobby Ray's from JA2. All the stuff you do in the game (apart from the actual combat and sector exploring) is done on a laptop and you have some websites you can look at. A lot of them (in JA2) were just flavour/lore stuff and were there for laughs, but you also hire your mercs on the "internet" and Bobby Ray's was a weapons-shop where you could order stuff that would then be delivered (after a few days) to the airport. The interet is still there in JA3 and you still hire your Mercs there. They also seem to have some of those "flavour"-websites that are there just for fun, but there's nothing to order weapons or other stuff, which is a disappointment. Hopefully that can be added in the future with DLC, mods or even a sequel.

All in all, I'm really, really chuffed with this new JA-game...

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3133 on: July 16, 2023, 04:14:23 pm »
Tried, Oxygen Not Included, after watching a speedrunner destroy it on super mental difficult mode.....

It's an amazing game but the depth and complexity is wild! Have no background in these resource management games so was a bit overwhelmed. After not looking at the clock for 6 hours...everyone was dead ;D ;D ;D

Will no doubt give it several more tries in the future once I'm over the passing of my entire crew ;D ;D ;D ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wcLayGm_pM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wcLayGm_pM4</a>

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: July 16, 2023, 08:29:47 pm »
It's a pretty complex game and really fun, too. Only issue I have with those kinds of games is, that they get even more complex further in and for me that's often where I lose interest. I'm trying to play a game and not getting an engineering, chemistry or physics degree.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3135 on: July 19, 2023, 11:18:17 pm »
So, I'm always years behind...

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (expansion game), having played ZD through 2021/22. I've faffed about on other bits over recent years (the Tomb Raider trilogy, Ratchet & Clank, the Crash and Spyro trilogies, and a replay of the Last of Us remaster) but - with some time off this week & next - I've just started Red Dead Redemption II.

Wow, this is amazing - the world in it is fantastic (I think I'm towards the very end of chapter two) and I'm really enjoying the depth of the game. Even just enjoying knocking about with the binoculars, seeing which animals I can spot mooching by the river ;D

Got Death Stranding, Horizon Forbidden West, and the Last of Us ptII all ready to go on disc, so need to crack on...!

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3136 on: July 19, 2023, 11:21:07 pm »

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds (expansion game), having played ZD through 2021/22. I've faffed about on other bits over recent years (the Tomb Raider trilogy, Ratchet & Clank, the Crash and Spyro trilogies, and a replay of the Last of Us remaster) but - with some time off this week & next - I've just started Red Dead Redemption II.

Wow, this is amazing - the world in it is fantastic (I think I'm towards the very end of chapter two) and I'm really enjoying the depth of the game. Even just enjoying knocking about with the binoculars, seeing which animals I can spot mooching by the river ;D

Got Death Stranding, Horizon Forbidden West, and the Last of Us ptII all ready to go on disc, so need to crack on...!

Take your time. Chapters 2 and 3 are probably the most enjoyable.

And get all the satchel upgrades too. The final one lets you carry 99 of things which is very useful

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: July 20, 2023, 11:52:15 am »

I want to get through HZD too (gotten the game for free twice now) but the rumors of a potential remaster/remake are making me wait
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3138 on: July 20, 2023, 12:44:57 pm »
I want to get through HZD too (gotten the game for free twice now) but the rumors of a potential remaster/remake are making me wait

ignore rumours.

I mean why would they do that? they might do, eventually, once they've made and released part 3. but that won't be for years.

get playing.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3139 on: July 20, 2023, 01:25:04 pm »

ignore rumours.

I mean why would they do that? they might do, eventually, once they've made and released part 3. but that won't be for years.

get playing.

I agree - crack on.

I've yet to play the second game (Forbidden West) but am looking forward to playing that as it'll have all of the PS5 quality that the PS5-native first game (Zero Dawn) didn't have. Alternatively, you could stuck in a cycle waiting for a potential PS5 remaster of ZD, and then waiting for a potential PS6 remaster of FW!

I've not dabbled much in many games native to the current generation (maybe just GT7 actually), and so I'm enjoying the step-up in quality that some of the later games from the previous generation (Zero Dawn, RDRII, etc) seem to have been able to adopt compared to earlier releases.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3140 on: July 20, 2023, 03:49:51 pm »
Very temped by Arcade Paradise, for a tenner looks a nice little game!

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #3141 on: July 20, 2023, 04:44:03 pm »
Mainly - Switch: Super Smash Brothers with the missus once the little ones asleep.
Then whenever i get a spare hour or so -
Xbox: Red Dead 2
PS4: Ace Combat 7
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: July 22, 2023, 02:20:28 pm »
I went back to play some OG MW2 MP as the servers are fixed on Xbox. After all the moaning about recently released COD's and how they slowed down the gameplay (which I kind of agree with but don't mind) I thought I'd see how the older ones faired.

Just completely not how I remembered them! They used to feel fluid but honestly what I experienced was wooden movement, felt like input lag, limited to 80fov and 60 frames. Everything felt super zoomed in and blurry especially when ADS'ing

Might be different on PC but I uninstalled that shit pronto.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: July 23, 2023, 12:02:47 am »
Very temped by Arcade Paradise, for a tenner looks a nice little game!
Isn't it a tenner then you pay more for every other game?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: July 23, 2023, 12:03:34 am »
I went back to play some OG MW2 MP as the servers are fixed on Xbox. After all the moaning about recently released COD's and how they slowed down the gameplay (which I kind of agree with but don't mind) I thought I'd see how the older ones faired.

Just completely not how I remembered them! They used to feel fluid but honestly what I experienced was wooden movement, felt like input lag, limited to 80fov and 60 frames. Everything felt super zoomed in and blurry especially when ADS'ing

Might be different on PC but I uninstalled that shit pronto.
Me too, the FOV knocked me out of whack completely.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3145 on: July 23, 2023, 12:28:30 am »
Just finished FF16, felt like it was just the right length as I was starting to get a little burned out on side quests by the end, but overall I thought it was a great game and I was surprised I enjoyed the combat as much as I did.

Decided to give the original FF7 a try with some mods next, mostly upscaling background textures and improving the character models and framerate. Nothing outrageous but it does make it look a bit nicer. I set it up today just to see what the mods looked like and ended up playing for about 5 hours so I guess I'll be playing this for a bit now!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: July 23, 2023, 12:40:10 am »
Just finished FF16, felt like it was just the right length as I was starting to get a little burned out on side quests by the end, but overall I thought it was a great game and I was surprised I enjoyed the combat as much as I did.
I wonder how long till it lands on PC, the exclusivity is normally a year, so probs Jun-24. I'll have probably forgotten all about it by then ;D

Another one I feel like I've been waiting on for years (and it has been literal years, was first announced in 2017 ;D ;D ;D), releases in Sep-23, so just a couple of months left. I really hope that it doesn't end up just being a Doom clone, which in isolation would be no bad thing, but am hoping for a more original experience.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q9o3wkhQSik" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q9o3wkhQSik</a>

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: July 24, 2023, 12:20:59 pm »
Played Black OPs 2 for a couple of hours, still an enjoyable arcade style multiplayer, prefer it to the modern games in a lot of ways.  Bought Modern Warfare 2 (original) at the same time, Ill give that a blitz later.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: July 24, 2023, 01:32:17 pm »
I wonder how long till it lands on PC, the exclusivity is normally a year, so probs Jun-24. I'll have probably forgotten all about it by then ;D

Another one I feel like I've been waiting on for years (and it has been literal years, was first announced in 2017 ;D ;D ;D), releases in Sep-23, so just a couple of months left. I really hope that it doesn't end up just being a Doom clone, which in isolation would be no bad thing, but am hoping for a more original experience.

Yeah it seems like Sony have realised there's plenty of money to be made by releasing everything on PC now, I think DLC is coming too so I'm guessing it'll all drop at once.

Hadn't heard of Witchfire before but I remember enjoying Painkiller back in the day, looks like it could be decent!

Offline MomoWasBoss

• customer tit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3149 on: July 24, 2023, 11:42:16 pm »
Bought an Xbox ONE the other day and downloaded all the old CODs as they have made the public lobbies playable again. PURE NOSTALGIA!
We've got the best midfield in the world...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: July 25, 2023, 03:21:01 am »
Been playing Deathloop in the last week. Had a very steep curve in terms of learning what the deal is, and also 'getting it', but now I'm quite liking it. Switched off the online element for a bit, but probably gonna put it on soon in case it gets too easy/low stakes

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: July 25, 2023, 06:29:56 am »
Bought an Xbox ONE the other day and downloaded all the old CODs as they have made the public lobbies playable again. PURE NOSTALGIA!

Hackers galore.  If you get into a lobby without a hacker it's really good fun though.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: July 31, 2023, 09:11:17 pm »
Remnant 2 is pretty cool, IGN called it Dark Souls with guns, while that's a good description it isn't quite as special as those games, really recommend it though.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: July 31, 2023, 11:28:39 pm »
Tried to play some Battlefield 2042 or whatever it's called and I have to say those progression systems in all those games are way too complicated for me. No idea what those are all about whether it's in this or in the CoD things...

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: August 1, 2023, 05:34:55 am »
Remnant 2 is pretty cool, IGN called it Dark Souls with guns, while that's a good description it isn't quite as special as those games, really recommend it though.
Got it as a birthday gift, enjoying it so far
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: August 1, 2023, 09:07:18 am »
Deadspace (RM) and Atomic Heart discounted on steam at the minute.....£35ish

Will wait for both to drop further, I really want to play them but another 6 months and they'll probs be £20.

Anyone given either a go?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: August 1, 2023, 11:53:28 am »
Been playing Deathloop in the last week. Had a very steep curve in terms of learning what the deal is, and also 'getting it', but now I'm quite liking it. Switched off the online element for a bit, but probably gonna put it on soon in case it gets too easy/low stakes
I found I got quite into this in the end, but then I completed one full loop (and found there are choices of different endings) and realised I didn't really have the desire to continue anymore.

Doesn't quite have that same addictive element of 'live die repeat' games i've enjoyed recent (eg Hades and Returnal), but the gameplay was very good (wasn't too arsed about the story), and i'd probably revisit if they were to make a sequel

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: August 3, 2023, 02:44:53 am »
A work mate has started playing Hunt:Showdown and told me to get it. Finally, an online multiplayer shooter I'm not completely shite at... ;)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3158 on: August 3, 2023, 11:14:17 am »
Always watch the likes of JackFrags and Two Angry Gamers playing that, looks like an excellent shooter. Think I’m at the stage of preferring to watch other play these competitive games though.
AHA!

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3159 on: August 3, 2023, 11:52:53 am »
A work mate has started playing Hunt:Showdown and told me to get it. Finally, an online multiplayer shooter I'm not completely shite at... ;)

Looks fun, Stoa. Might check it out for Xbox.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.