Author Topic: Living in London  (Read 168365 times)

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Living in London
« Reply #1960 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:55 pm »
Nice one you two. I'll have a look at these on the old Google Maps now. Do London quite a bit with work but somebody else booked the hotel this time. I'm normally an Aldgate and Shoreditch type of guy when I'm there.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1961 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:08 am »
Remember when the Alexis Sanchez thread turned into a duplicate of this thread?

Just discovered this one, although the Sanchez thread was insightful on London too, particularly Tower Hamlets  ;D

Ahh Rawk memories
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1962 on: August 22, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
anyone know about connecting flights via heathrow:

i'm to arrive to london from barcelona at 8:30a
my flight from heathrow (terminal 3) to seattle (terminal 5) flies out at 9:45a
i don't travel much at all, so i don't have a great sense of this sort of thing.
heathrow recommends 90 minutes, and i'm giving myself 75.

am i risking missing my flight back home?
is 90 minutes leeway less a precaution and more so a necessary reality?

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1963 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:26 am »
Going to a gig at The Albert Hall 2 weeks on Friday . Please can anyone recomened any bars clubs that open really late round Soho , nothing where you have to get really dressed up. Would normally have gone to Fabric but it's closed .cheers

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: September 14, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
Going to a gig at The Albert Hall 2 weeks on Friday . Please can anyone recomened any bars clubs that open really late round Soho , nothing where you have to get really dressed up. Would normally have gone to Fabric but it's closed .cheers

'Soho Theatre' is nice to pop in for a quick one I always find, stays open until midnight I think although I don't know if that's late enough for you.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1965 on: September 14, 2016, 12:26:54 pm »
'Soho Theatre' is nice to pop in for a quick one I always find, stays open until midnight I think although I don't know if that's late enough for you.

Thanks will put it on the list . Doesn't have to be Soho really , just fancy using some energy on a dancefloor after the gig  .

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
The O'Neills on Wardour Street is open until 3/4 every night and always has a live band on doing covers. Always good to have it in your google maps as a backup. Will let you in in any state wearing pretty much anything.

Thanks for that , yeah planning to be worse for wear so that will be a good option.

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1967 on: September 14, 2016, 06:20:52 pm »
The O'Neills on Wardour Street is open until 3/4 every night and always has a live band on doing covers. Always good to have it in your google maps as a backup. Will let you in in any state wearing pretty much anything.

I can second this. Was in there on Monday night with my business partner and had as good a night as I've had in London. You can tend to over think things when going out in London but you'll enjoy yourself in there. The upstairs was rammed with happy people singing along to the band who played all the happy songs for drunks and lets just say, a lot of the clientele was very easy on the eye.

Which helps ;)

Offline spider

• Main Stander
« Reply #1968 on: September 23, 2016, 01:12:37 pm »
In London tomorrow  - any good boozers showing the 3pm KO's- specifically Liverpool Hull game?

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1969 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:04 pm »
There's an LFC pubs in London thread on the main board somewhere mate.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #1970 on: December 7, 2016, 10:36:48 am »
Hi All,

Been offered a job in London, i have previously lived there when i was on placement during university. Looking to roomshare for now as its my only option. Apart from spareroom, can anyone recommend any other sites or company's that are decent?

Cheers

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #1971 on: December 7, 2016, 01:56:52 pm »
Congrats on the offer mate. Where are you looking? If west my company intranet always has listings for rooms so will keep my eye out if you like. Otherwise Gumtree and Craigslist are a couple of good options.

Thanks mate, that would be great. Im currently looking North and North west, but im happy to go anywhere if the area is nice and the room is good too.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1972 on: December 9, 2016, 07:50:35 am »
Thanks mate, that would be great. Im currently looking North and North west, but im happy to go anywhere if the area is nice and the room is good too.

I used to use moveflat. Seemed to be more filtered towards youngish non-insane professionals in nice friendly houses. Rather than 10 Australians in a Caledonian Road dungeon on gumtree.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1973 on: December 9, 2016, 09:41:18 pm »
hello,

red+yank across the pond.

Erased the entire fucking thing as I discovered the post I replied to was quite old.  ::)

How did you get on on your travel?
« Last Edit: December 9, 2016, 09:46:45 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1974 on: December 14, 2016, 06:42:48 pm »
Just had about ten armed policemen storm down the platform I was on at Bank.  Had to scarper sharpish. Severed me up somewhat after a boozy work lunch!

Online Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: December 28, 2016, 10:25:36 pm »
Could have asked in the travel forum; but here we go..

bunch of mates coming in via heathrow; some others coming in via stansted. on route to liverpool; any crossing points  or is it just as good meeting up in liverpool ? arriving app. the same time
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1976 on: December 28, 2016, 10:28:56 pm »
Could have asked in the travel forum; but here we go..

bunch of mates coming in via heathrow; some others coming in via stansted. on route to liverpool; any crossing points  or is it just as good meeting up in liverpool ? arriving app. the same time

All trains to Liverpool go from Euston so could all meet there.  Heathrow and Stanstead ar a good 60+ miles apart at a guess.  Stanstead trains go to Liverpool Street,  Heathrow you can get the tube into central London. The Stanstead journey would be the longer one.

Online Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: December 28, 2016, 10:31:45 pm »
All trains to Liverpool go from Euston so could all meet there.  Heathrow and Stanstead ar a good 60+ miles apart at a guess.  Stanstead trains go to Liverpool Street,  Heathrow you can get the tube into central London. The Stanstead journey would be the longer one.

thanks. euston it is then !
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1978 on: December 28, 2016, 10:57:00 pm »
Also depends on whether you're getting the bus up as well, if you are then Victoria is the best place to meet.

Online Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:19 pm »
Also depends on whether you're getting the bus up as well, if you are then Victoria is the best place to meet.

train it is. guess i was thinking if both airports could avoid central london and do peterborough, barrow or some hidden gems directly

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: December 29, 2016, 06:08:49 am »

For Stansted to Euston, I think you would be better off changing at Tottenham Hale and getting the tube to Kings Cross, then walk the 100 yards or so. It's 20 mins less than staying on until Liverpool Street, on the Stansted express.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1981 on: December 29, 2016, 09:42:53 am »
For Stansted to Euston, I think you would be better off changing at Tottenham Hale and getting the tube to Kings Cross, then walk the 100 yards or so. It's 20 mins less than staying on until Liverpool Street, on the Stansted express.

Good shout,  was on there for the first time ever last week, didn't even realise that was a tube station as well.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: December 29, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
If you're coming from Heathrow, you can get the Tube (Piccadilly line) straight to King's Cross, from where you can either walk the 5-10 minutes to Euston or get the Northern or Victoria lines one stop. The Heathrow Express is pricier but will get you into town (to Paddington, to be exact) a lot quicker, and from there you can get the Circle or Hammersmith & City to Euston Square, and then Euston station is a very short walk.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1983 on: March 27, 2018, 01:01:10 pm »
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to put this...any Sleaford Mods fans in?

If anyone is interested in two FREE tickets to see Sleaford Mods acclaimed 'Bunch of Kunst' film this evening (Tuesday) at Genesis Cinema I have two spares going as I can't make it now.

There's a Q&A with the director after also.

https://genesiscinema.co.uk/GenesisCinema.dll/WhatsOn?Film=10575871

PM me or drop a reply here and I'll sort you out.

Cheers :wave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:06:04 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: November 23, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »
Moved here a few months ago and remembered this thread existed last time I logged in a year or two ago. Should've posted when I was moving with all my questions really but hey...

Never though I'd live here but work took me here so went for it and really enjoying so far. If anyone has any general tips or recommendations of how to make life easier let me know!

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1985 on: November 24, 2019, 08:43:21 am »
For me, Londons greatest asset is the Overground (the orange line). It's the complete opposite to the tube in that it's modern, clean, accessible and the people using it are just generally more relaxed. Its a great way to view London as you're outside and high up at roof level.

Use it to really explore the parts of the city that the hoards of tourists don't get to -
Wapping, Shadwell and Rotherhithe are interesting for walks along the Thames to see old London, with historic pubs that back on to the water.
https://spitalfieldslife.com/2014/01/15/the-gentle-authors-wapping-pub-crawl/
Go mud-larking, there are plenty of access points down on to the Thames. Go down there and you'll easily find bits of Georgian pottery, Tobacco pipes and Roman bones.
https://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/01/04/mud-gods-discoveries-1/

Connect from there on the DLR to Greenwich village, the historical maritime hub of London. Lots of museums, pubs and markets. Amazing view of the city from the observatory.

If you need a break from city life use the line to get to Richmond Park and walk along the river to Petersham nurseries and Ham house. Or spend the day in Kew Gardens (one of my favourite places). Go to Hampstead village, nice shops restaurants and old pubs like the HollyBush and then have a walk on the heath, you'll scarcely believe you're in one of the most populated places in Europe.

Get it to Camden, ignore the market, cheap tat and the bongs and get onto the Regents canal. Walk one way to regents park or Primrose hill for the best view of London. Walk the other way to new recently refurbished Granary square and coal drops yard in Kings Cross for eating, drinking and shopping.
https://www.kingscross.co.uk/coal-drops-yard.

Theres tonnes of other stuff. Shoreditch and Dalston for all the east london markets and all the street art wankery you can fill your boots with.

Canonbury and Highbury are surrounded by georgian streets that are nice to just walk around with plenty of good old pubs

There are loads of other places on there, like Stoke Newington, Peckham Rye and East Dulwich. Small village-like parts with independent shops etc.

My other tip is to explore the City (i.e. financial district) on the weekend. Its empty as all the City boys have gone back to Kent. From St.Pauls to bank to Aldgate. Lots of historic stuff and small alleyways to explore. Mixed with all the big modern skyscrapers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:59:25 am by meady1981 »

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: January 20, 2020, 08:30:02 am »
For me, Londons greatest asset is the Overground (the orange line). It's the complete opposite to the tube in that it's modern, clean, accessible and the people using it are just generally more relaxed. Its a great way to view London as you're outside and high up at roof level.

Use it to really explore the parts of the city that the hoards of tourists don't get to -
Wapping, Shadwell and Rotherhithe are interesting for walks along the Thames to see old London, with historic pubs that back on to the water.
Go mud-larking, there are plenty of access points down on to the Thames. Go down there and you'll easily find bits of Georgian pottery, Tobacco pipes and Roman bones.

Connect from there on the DLR to Greenwich village, the historical maritime hub of London. Lots of museums, pubs and markets. Amazing view of the city from the observatory.

If you need a break from city life use the line to get to Richmond Park and walk along the river to Petersham nurseries and Ham house. Or spend the day in Kew Gardens (one of my favourite places). Go to Hampstead village, nice shops restaurants and old pubs like the HollyBush and then have a walk on the heath, you'll scarcely believe you're in one of the most populated places in Europe.

Get it to Camden, ignore the market, cheap tat and the bongs and get onto the Regents canal. Walk one way to regents park or Primrose hill for the best view of London. Walk the other way to new recently refurbished Granary square and coal drops yard in Kings Cross for eating, drinking and shopping.

Theres tonnes of other stuff. Shoreditch and Dalston for all the east london markets and all the street art wankery you can fill your boots with.

Canonbury and Highbury are surrounded by georgian streets that are nice to just walk around with plenty of good old pubs

There are loads of other places on there, like Stoke Newington, Peckham Rye and East Dulwich. Small village-like parts with independent shops etc.

My other tip is to explore the City (i.e. financial district) on the weekend. Its empty as all the City boys have gone back to Kent. From St.Pauls to bank to Aldgate. Lots of historic stuff and small alleyways to explore. Mixed with all the big modern skyscrapers.

Cheers for this! Checking back in and loads of tips I haven't used yet. Will get on it. Went to a Meetup thing for a kickabout and that was a good laugh, good natured group.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: January 20, 2020, 11:39:33 pm »

Well I’ve been living in London for nigh on 50 years and you’ve listed so many of my favourite places particularly Richmond borough which is home. You’re right mind, avoiding tourists a must. Cracking advice.

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: February 22, 2023, 03:24:36 pm »
Alright all - long time bump on this one.

But there's a film season celebrating the North coming in April at the BFI. Believe it will include a couple of Merseyside based events, will share details once I find out more if anyone living down here is interested .

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1989 on: February 23, 2023, 10:32:51 pm »
Spent the day with a London colleague up here making her delighted and surprised at her lack of stress and anxiety in the north of people being friendly (I would describe the vibe from the public today as friendly as decent)

I'm actively trying to poach good people from London

scary thing? it's working

and easy.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1990 on: February 24, 2023, 01:05:48 am »
I've been in London for the past 21 years, I left Leicester at 22 years old. I started off in North London Bounds Green area, I used to take a bus to Seven Sisters and take the Victoria line down to Victoria. I then found a flat in Mile End, and lived with some students, but because i was a working person, the whole property was liable to pay council tax, so i was booted out after 3 months. I was homeless for about a month, using various bed and breakfasts and hotels, couches of friends. Then landed in Clapham, where I lived for about 5 years. It was a strange 5 years for me, where, I was largely on my own, trying to interpret the world. Unsure if I really succeeded. Because I saw people making really deep and meaningful relationships and friendships, and I, in the end, was being used as entertainment by people. I guess I was gullible maybe, or really valued people. Because I was doing it on my own, with no history of a deep and cherished friendship. I still managed to have a good time though, work colleagues were always fun and the primary source of my friendships, however short lived they were.

Since getting married, we moved closer to her family in west london and have been here ever since. There is a large asian community of LFC fans here. But it hasn't been easy. Sometimes I wonder, if I had the support that people around me had, would things be any better. I've always thought I was surviving rather than living. I never had a set path that I wanted to go in life, I never looked at anyone and thought "I want that", so drive and ambition was something that wasn't really instilled in me. These days, I meet 22 year olds and they are so driven, they want to be CEO's at 25. Maybe my kids will be the same, who knows. But one thing i really really regret is not working hard, and changing my job often in my 20's, when I was out having a weird and wonderful time watching live music gigs here and there. I've done okay though, as a truly self made man.

I guess, what I'm saying is life probably isn't about where you are, its about the people who care about you, and you care about. I'm probably way off-topic, sorry!
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:55 am »
Gigs and culture are pretty much the point of living in London. If you can't have fun in your 20's, when can you?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1992 on: February 24, 2023, 11:04:39 am »
Gigs and culture are pretty much the point of living in London. If you can't have fun in your 20's, when can you?

haha! exactly, i mean, at 43, dancing and jumping probably wont look a pretty sight haha. drum and bass at fabric was so much fun.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1993 on: February 24, 2023, 01:25:32 pm »
Alright all - long time bump on this one.

But there's a film season celebrating the North coming in April at the BFI. Believe it will include a couple of Merseyside based events, will share details once I find out more if anyone living down here is interested .

I'd be up for that like

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: March 2, 2023, 02:53:11 pm »
I'd be up for that like

Nice one - here it is https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=northernvoices

Might be able to find a 2 for 1 code so watch this space.

Some interesting stuff, Of Time and the City always an interesting watch and Laughter from Liverpool should be interesting

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: March 10, 2023, 05:22:45 pm »
Nice one - here it is https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=northernvoices

Might be able to find a 2 for 1 code so watch this space.

Some interesting stuff, Of Time and the City always an interesting watch and Laughter from Liverpool should be interesting

All sorted - if you use 241NORTH when you're booking that should essentially be buy one get one free tickets. Can only use on the same screening.

Liverpool based ones:

No Trams to Lime Street https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/article/notramstolimestreet
Of Time and the City https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/article/oftimeandthecity2023
Letter to Brezhnev https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/article/lettertobrezhnev2023
Laughter from Liverpool https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/article/laughterfromliverpool

Nice one  :wave

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: March 2, 2024, 11:34:31 am »
Im going to London on Wednesday, will arrive at Euston and from their going to Harley Street. 
I understand its only a 20 minute walk. 
Is there anything interesting between Euston station and Harley street as I will end up with an hour or so to kill?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: March 2, 2024, 11:52:18 am »
Im going to London on Wednesday, will arrive at Euston and from their going to Harley Street. 
Is there anything interesting between Euston station and Harley street as I will end up with an hour or so to kill?
Not been around Harley Street for a while. Hope everything is ok!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1998 on: March 2, 2024, 11:53:57 am »

Pay a visit to Regent's Park maybe, which is on the way from Euston to Harley Street, or maybe go for a meal.
#Sausages

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1999 on: March 2, 2024, 11:55:58 am »
Not been around Harley Street for a while. Hope everything is ok!

Yes thanks mate, Its for a medical report not treatment

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.