Author Topic: Trust your instincts...  (Read 3302 times)

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trust your instincts...
« on: January 9, 2007, 12:04:05 pm »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:23:30 pm by blurred »

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
Re: Trust your instincts...
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »
My uncle wrote a piece in the Guardian about this last summer. I'll try and find it.

Edit: Found it.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/improbable/story/0,,1858809,00.html

Trust your instincts

The evidence seems to be that the conscious mind isn't much use in making hard decisions

Johnjoe McFadden
Saturday August 26, 2006
The Guardian

Do you really need that flat-pack wardrobe or would the foldaway futon be a better buy? Why not have lunch and think about it? Then you might need to choose between pickled herring or Swedish meatballs. Everywhere we are confronted with difficult choices. In Luke Rhinehart's novel The Dice Man, the eponymous hero makes all his decisions by rolling a dice. Few of us would trust to a life ruled by chance, so we tend to think carefully about the complex decisions (the wardrobe or the futon) but are content to trust our instincts with the simpler things (meatballs or herring). New research by Ap Dijksterhuis and his colleagues at the University of Amsterdam suggests that we would be better off thinking about the simple choices, and leaving the life-changing decisions to our unconscious mind.

Dijksterhuis asked his test subjects to choose between four hypothetical cars on the basis of a set of specifications (whether the car had a sunroof, low mileage, etc) that could be either simple (only four specifications) or complex (12 specifications). One group was given four minutes to consider the problem; the other group was shown the specification and then immediately distracted by another task. Surprisingly, the subjects with plenty of time to think fared better when faced with a simple decision (four specifications) but worse when the problem was more complex (12 specifications).

This and other similar experiments go to the heart of the vexing question of whether consciousness is any use to us. Our brain seems to be split between the actions we can take with little or no conscious control (although scientists prefer to talk about "attention"), such as riding a bike, and those that require conscious attention, such as arithmetic. We tend to think of our unconscious mind as the more primitive arm of cognition, with consciousness in reserve for the hard problems. But Dijksterhuis's research suggests we have it the wrong way around.

If our conscious mind isn't much use for making hard decisions, what is it good for? It may seem that our voluntary actions are driven by consciousness, but many scientists believe this is an illusion. Nearly a century ago the evolutionary biologist Thomas Huxley argued that consciousness has no more influence on our actions than a steam whistle has on the locomotion of a train. This view was boosted in recent years by the neurobiologist Benjamin Libet at the University of California. In an experiment he asked subjects to perform a simple task, eg wiggle their little finger, at a time of their own choosing, and measured accompanying brain activity. Surprisingly, Libet could detect brain activity that predicted imminent finger wiggling nearly half a second before the subjects were aware they had decided to wiggle their finger!

Libet's experiments suggested that our brain makes up its mind long (in neurobiological terms) before we become aware of any conscious intention to act. Consciousness seems to be a mere bystander with just an illusion of control. Where does this leave free will or personal responsibility?

Dijksterhuis points out that consciousness is good at following precise rules - arithmetic, solving anagrams, etc - but has only limited capacity for handling more complex problems. He proposes the "deliberation without attention" hypothesis, whereby complex problems are best solved by the parallel-computing capabilities of the unconscious mind. So bear this in mind the next time you need to choose between the flat-pack wardrobe and the futon: trust your instincts.

· Johnjoe McFadden is professor of molecular genetics at the University of Surrey
« Last Edit: January 9, 2007, 12:15:06 pm by Devastatin' Dave »

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2007, 12:13:41 pm »
My uncle wrote a piece in the Guardian about this last summer. I'll try and find it.

Did he have a lot of thinking time ;)

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
From my experience snap decisions usually means being impulsive.....i am the most impulsive i know and as a consequence end up in the poo more often than not.... ::)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
I'm very instinctive. Woo!
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline kopbird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
I tend to go with my instincts, it leads to some very interesting situations, will prob get me in the shit one day tho!

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2007, 12:30:23 pm »
im not impulsive at all. i tend to stop and think 'but what if'. something my missus hates about me

Helly

« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2007, 01:05:27 pm »
I used to be very impulsive but now i think too much and i think i have missed out since i stopped being impulsive.

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2007, 01:09:11 pm »
Erm.......errr.....

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2007, 01:11:34 pm »
snap decisions.

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2007, 01:16:28 pm »
Just do what you want.
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2007, 02:44:22 pm »
Follow your heart!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2007, 02:46:52 pm »
I always go with my instincts. Especially in pub quizzes and relationships.

In other news, what the eff sort of name for an adult is "Johnjoe" ?

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2007, 02:47:11 pm »
I tend to focus on all the negatives and if the negatives seem daunting then i tend to go with them. I think my impulsive side only comes out when I want to buy something
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2007, 03:05:57 pm »
wish i had when reading this thread.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2007, 03:08:43 pm »
I guess I am a quite instinctive chap, now that I think about it. ;D

MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »

Hey, thats my Uncle your talking about.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2007, 03:13:31 pm »
I'm not sure how naturally a bit of research about which side of the screen an image is on leads into a discussion of how impulsive people are :D

Individually 2 interesting things though ;)

Offline archt_marj14

• Anny Roader
  • english foxes are the most dangerous.
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »
I go with my instincts, generally.
...then I'd own you.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2007, 06:33:10 pm »
I go with my instincts, generally.

I always go with me , I think.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline bigman1981

• For men
  • Legacy Fan
  • OOT wool - but just can't help loving LFC!
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2007, 06:33:15 pm »
I definitely always go with my first instincts...

...unless I have time to think about it and change my mind!
Red Forever!!!!!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2007, 06:50:59 pm »
I think we all are beginning to use and follow our intuition.  There is a lot of pyshcic energy about as we enter into the next epoch.

We are becoming multisensory beings.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2007, 06:54:26 pm »
I trust my instincts too much sometimes  :-\

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 05:42:19 am »

Did you look down Brad's mum's top again?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline kopbird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 11:59:03 am »
I tend to go with my instincts, it leads to some very interesting situations, will prob get me in the shit one day tho!

Funny how what you post comes true, fucking instincts, wont be trusting them again!

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 12:47:39 pm »
Funny how what you post comes true, fucking instincts, wont be trusting them again!

It's okay, Lucas. You can just stay with Blackburn.

Offline bondjon

• Kopite
  • It's time to dish out some hard but fair tackling
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 04:43:53 pm »

Same here - and they're crap too.
Hey! Hey you! You watch line yeah?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 04:52:13 pm »
I've been told "You're not always right, but you're always sure"

Instincts rule.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 09:16:21 pm »
I always go with my instincts. Especially in pub quizzes and relationships.

To be honest it's better than BillyBob
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #29 on: January 1, 2023, 12:08:11 pm »
Happy New Year folks, welcome to 2023.

Random one, but do you believe in 'gut instinct' or 'Intuition'? I booked a few days in Reykjavik for next week to travel alone, but for weeks I've this feeling of something isn't right, not to go, I wouldn't enjoy it. Something I can't put my finger on. I've had gut feelings like this before, mostly over meeting someone for the first time, applying for jobs or other changes but this is a first.

Yes, I badly want to see the Northern Lights, but at the moment due to my fitness, all I would spend the four days doing is sitting in a bar paying expensive prices.

I've gone and cancelled this morning, will probably take a hit on the air ticket or maybe get something back, but I've always followed my gut instinct.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: January 1, 2023, 12:16:21 pm »

Random one, but do you believe in 'gut instinct' or 'Intuition'? I booked a few days in Reykjavik for next week to travel alone, but for weeks I've this feeling of something isn't right, not to go, I wouldn't enjoy it. Something I can't put my finger on. I've had gut feelings like this before, mostly over meeting someone for the first time, applying for jobs or other changes but this is a first.

Yes, I badly want to see the Northern Lights, but at the moment due to my fitness, all I would spend the four days doing is sitting in a bar paying expensive prices.

I've gone and cancelled this morning, will probably take a hit on the air ticket or maybe get something back, but I've always followed my gut instinct.

Always trust your gut mate 👍

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 1, 2023, 02:04:29 pm »

Yep, usually right before something goes to shit. Had it just before a huge car crash, before a motorbike crash and plenty of other occasions. As Deb says, always trust your gut
Jurgen YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 1, 2023, 02:17:23 pm »
Suspect gut instinct is subject to a lot of confirmation bias. When your gut instinct turns out to be correct, you'll credit it to gut instinct being a real thing, but not vice versa when it turns out to be incorrect, leading to a belief that it is more valuable than it really is.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 1, 2023, 02:41:41 pm »
Suspect gut instinct is subject to a lot of confirmation bias. When your gut instinct turns out to be correct, you'll credit it to gut instinct being a real thing, but not vice versa when it turns out to be incorrect, leading to a belief that it is more valuable than it really is.

With my car crash, I heard a voice in my head that said "don't overtake, you won't make the end of the road", I ignored it, as I was 22 and a bit of a loon and about 10 seconds later I destroyed a taxi that pulled out of a side road and wrote my Capri off. It was 11:30pm and the road that the taxi came out of was the way into Moss Side mental hozzy (now know as Ashworth) and there was no way I could see the car, so it wasn't that I'd subconciously been aware of it.

With the bike, I bought it in August 1996, my then G/F hated it on first sight, she said it was evil, was going to hurt me and to take it back. She wanted to get my ZZR1100 back. I had loads of near misses on that bike and they day I got knocked off it, I had a strange feeling for a long time before the crash that something was going to go worng, which I never used to have on bikes. The bike then got stolen a month later.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #34 on: January 1, 2023, 02:48:27 pm »
With my car crash, I heard a voice in my head that said "don't overtake, you won't make the end of the road", I ignored it, as I was 22 and a bit of a loon and about 10 seconds later I destroyed a taxi that pulled out of a side road and wrote my Capri off. It was 11:30pm and the road that the taxi came out of was the way into Moss Side mental hozzy (now know as Ashworth) and there was no way I could see the car, so it wasn't that I'd subconciously been aware of it.

With the bike, I bought it in August 1996, my then G/F hated it on first sight, she said it was evil, was going to hurt me and to take it back. She wanted to get my ZZR1100 back. I had loads of near misses on that bike and they day I got knocked off it, I had a strange feeling for a long time before the crash that something was going to go worng, which I never used to have on bikes. The bike then got stolen a month later.
Yeah I knew something was wrong the night I had my bike crash. I felt it on the edge of my consciousness, but because it was nothing clear I went out anyway...

I suspect there is some confirmation bias in the idea of 'gut instinct' but I think there's also a component whereby your brain is gathering little clues and bits of information - about the situation, the context and also about you and your mental and emotional state - which it can't put a clear label on but which register as 'not right' to it in some way. You mind can't tell you exactly what is wrong but it knows that things aren't right somehow and so manifests a feeling which we call gut instinct.

I guess it can happen the other way, too; about something positive
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #35 on: January 1, 2023, 02:54:17 pm »
I've had that gut feeling a few times, the most memorable though was when I was in Bali on a scuba dive. First dive of the day just everything leading up to it went wrong. Couldn't get the zipper properly closed on my wetsuit so had to redo it a couple times, burst a seal in my tank, had to get that redone, then dropped my mask and almost cracked it.

By the time we got to the first dive spot something just said "Do not go down for this dive" , now keep in mind I had paid a ton of money to be there, but just something convinced me not to go on that first dive, so I stayed up on the boat and everyone else went down. Rest of the day turned out fine, but who knows what would have happened had I gone.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: January 1, 2023, 03:05:37 pm »
ages ago a bunch of ppl I worked with planned a weekend "try parachuting" day.  I was signed up but as the day got closer I decided not to go, just didn't feel right.

on the Monday morning one of the guys arrived back in work on crutches.  he and I were similar size (i.e. bigger than all others going on the trip) and he was told - after he broke his leg in several places of course - that the parachutes weren't strong enough for people his weight.

dodged a big bullet there.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 1, 2023, 03:06:50 pm »
Yeah I knew something was wrong the night I had my bike crash. I felt it on the edge of my consciousness, but because it was nothing clear I went out anyway...

I suspect there is some confirmation bias in the idea of 'gut instinct' but I think there's also a component whereby your brain is gathering little clues and bits of information - about the situation, the context and also about you and your mental and emotional state - which it can't put a clear label on but which register as 'not right' to it in some way. You mind can't tell you exactly what is wrong but it knows that things aren't right somehow and so manifests a feeling which we call gut instinct.

I guess it can happen the other way, too; about something positive

I believe its because we aren't an apex predator, I mean we get battered by domestics cats ffs, so we still have that survival instinct that prey animals have and for whatever reason, we can "sense" danger.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #38 on: January 1, 2023, 03:40:29 pm »
The gut instinct has been very useful for me in terms of staying out of trouble. Plenty of times in town when I was younger, this 'feeling' used to kick in just before a night out would kick off. That early warning system saved me a few batterings, for sure. I'd hear the stories later and ask others why didn't you get out of the way and they'd say that they just didn't see it coming.

Rule 1, if you see me leaving a bar or club, follow  8)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #39 on: January 1, 2023, 09:23:02 pm »
Glad to see a few of us are singing from the same sheet. I can't put my finger on it, just something that says don't go.

Anyway, the airline won't refund me the full amount, only airport taxes, so took a hit for about £100, but for peace of mind its worth it.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."