Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 304687 times)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #1040 on: August 10, 2020, 01:12:27 am »
Morikawa I think. Just knocked a driver to 4 feet
Looks like a proper player

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1041 on: August 10, 2020, 01:23:50 am »
Morikawa I think. Just knocked a driver to 4 feet
Looks like a proper player

Incredible shot. Surely won it with that, unlucky for Casey.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1042 on: August 10, 2020, 01:56:06 am »
Won't be popular but Patrick Reed is a shout. Played well there before.

Finding fairways will be key.

A couple long shots... Collin Morikawa ( Southern California kid but went to school at Cal in the Bay Area, so has played Harding Park numerous times), and these two straight hitters with decent putting-- Kevin Na, Sungjae Im

Super long shot..Cameron Champ ( California kid from just north in Sacramento, played Harding Park numerous times.)

Oh, and this older guy..Tiger Woods.  8)

How'd my picks do before the tournament.

Patrick Reed Joint 13th

Colin Morikawa Winner

Kevin Na  Missed Cut

Sungjae Im Missed Cut

Cameron Champ  Joint 10th

Old man Tiger  Joint 37th
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1043 on: August 10, 2020, 10:11:14 am »
He almost Aubameyang'ed the trophy lift  :)

His reflection in the trophy on the 2nd image is amazing.  65-54 to close out the weekend is the mark of a champion.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: August 10, 2020, 10:15:01 am »

His reflection in the trophy on the 2nd image is amazing.  65-54 to close out the weekend is the mark of a champion.

119 shots at the weekend is definitely the mark of a champion. Of everything.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1045 on: August 10, 2020, 10:45:15 am »
119 shots at the weekend is definitely the mark of a champion. Of everything.
I was looking at this for two minutes and thinking 'God, Gerry is just terrible at doing basic addition'   :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: August 10, 2020, 11:12:26 am »
3 wins in 29 events for Morikawa with a major under his belt. Incredible.

The tee shot on the 16th was unbelievable but he then had nerves of steel just to roll in the 6 foot putt for eagle knowing it was most likely the winning putt.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #1047 on: August 10, 2020, 11:24:38 am »
Stopped betting on majors predicted Colin Morikawa at the start of the week. I don't know what he would of been priced .

This lad will go far and win a few more in the next couple years .

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1048 on: August 10, 2020, 11:46:59 am »
That drive on the 16th!!!

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1049 on: August 10, 2020, 06:38:27 pm »
He's the best iron player I've seen since Tiger. He's got such precision with his ball striking that he'll be a threat on an array of courses because he doesn't need to bomb it 330 yards each time.

He's still very much a work in progress but the kid is going places. His shootout with JT a few weeks back showed he has balls too, JT dropped a 50 footer on the play off hole to seemingly win it only for Morikawa to sink a 25 footer to extend the play offf.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:28 pm »
These kids out of college have no fear whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see the Ryder Cup lineups as the old US players have too much baggage. Do believe these new players will make it tough for Europe in the years to come.

He was +8 on the field strokes gained putting - that's unreal. He topped the charts in driver accuracy and closest to the pin. Led in every category. He's a talent that's for sure......

Obviously it's different doing it in front of 50k people wanting someone else to win - but these tournaments with no fans is just like college golf to these kids.....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:44:08 pm by nuts100 »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1051 on: August 11, 2020, 09:31:34 am »
i fell asleep just before end but morikawa had it in bag after that spectacular shot

had finau ew so a decent bit back, berger ew faded slightly but anyone of a group of at least 12 could have won that

pity it was on so late
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #1052 on: August 11, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
Likeable kid winning it so I have no qualms. Was rooting for Fleetwood but he was out of contention by the second hole or so.

Morikawa reminded me a lot of young Mcilroy where he was fearless and just let his instinct take over. Now he has just so much baggage he doesn’t contend on Sunday anymore.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: August 11, 2020, 04:44:43 pm »
Likeable kid winning it so I have no qualms. Was rooting for Fleetwood but he was out of contention by the second hole or so.

Morikawa reminded me a lot of young Mcilroy where he was fearless and just let his instinct take over. Now he has just so much baggage he doesn’t contend on Sunday anymore.

He doesn’t contend at all in majors, hasn’t since the melt down v Reed
He’s not got that burning desire anymore, coupled with his mate on the bag and his mental weakness of not being able to grind like other tour pros

I’d love his ability, and if you put his game with Reeds toughness he’d be unbeatable. I just think he got everything so early he’s not learnt how to grind as he’s got so much fucking talent. He’s now reading books about ego being bad etc. Top sportsmen are fucking ruthless and don’t give a shit about anything but themselves

However his family is set for generations with the money he has, so fair fucking play. Just wish he’d be a bit more like brooks and say fuck it I’m all in here. You’re all shot I’m fucking ace 😂

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: August 11, 2020, 05:27:23 pm »
He doesn’t contend at all in majors, hasn’t since the melt down v Reed
He’s not got that burning desire anymore, coupled with his mate on the bag and his mental weakness of not being able to grind like other tour pros

I’d love his ability, and if you put his game with Reeds toughness he’d be unbeatable. I just think he got everything so early he’s not learnt how to grind as he’s got so much fucking talent. He’s now reading books about ego being bad etc. Top sportsmen are fucking ruthless and don’t give a shit about anything but themselves

However his family is set for generations with the money he has, so fair fucking play. Just wish he’d be a bit more like brooks and say fuck it I’m all in here. You’re all shot I’m fucking ace [emoji23]
Just too chilled to climb back to World No.1

This Ryder cup teammust be the strongest we have been. We have a current world no.1 many top players who are comfortable playing in America :

Rose
McIlroy
Rahm
Fleetwood
Casey
Hatton
Fitzpatrick

Britain could potentially go at it alone to face off America.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #1055 on: August 12, 2020, 12:02:18 pm »
Just too chilled to climb back to World No.1

This Ryder cup teammust be the strongest we have been. We have a current world no.1 many top players who are comfortable playing in America :

Rose
McIlroy
Rahm
Fleetwood
Casey
Hatton
Fitzpatrick

Britain could potentially go at it alone to face off America.

Danny Willett
Matt Wallace
Lee Westwood

All in the top 50 and Andy Sullivan who is coming on to a game winning at the weekend too.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:27 am »
you would still need a bit of continental europe as opposed to all british plus shane lowry would probably qualify

rahm is in that list, molinari and noren would add nicely to it

garcia is usually a mainstay but his form is very poor and im not sure him and harrington get along so maybe no wild card there

definitely a case that most of the team could be made up of great britain (and ireland)

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: August 13, 2020, 03:27:48 pm »
Lee Westwood wouldn’t be anywhere near my team. Guy can’t putt when it matters and was an appalling captains pick a few years ago over in the US

I think the next Ryder Cup will be a humdinger. The US captain should not pick any of the old guard, including mickleson as they have too many war wounds.

These new young Americans don’t have the baggage,
Going to be difficult over here, can see each side winning on their own territory for a while, depending on crowds and course setup

The us will always have open fairways for the bombers, Europe to the fairways for precision as in Paris

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:22 pm »
Lee Westwood wouldn’t be anywhere near my team. Guy can’t putt when it matters and was an appalling captains pick a few years ago over in the US

I think the next Ryder Cup will be a humdinger. The US captain should not pick any of the old guard, including mickleson as they have too many war wounds.

These new young Americans don’t have the baggage,
Going to be difficult over here, can see each side winning on their own territory for a while, depending on crowds and course setup

The us will always have open fairways for the bombers, Europe to the fairways for precision as in Paris
I am a bit undecided over Westwood. One of the best ball strikers in the world but couldn’t putt to save his life.

Americans average driving stats are better than us but most of our top players are pretty long hitters - Rahm perhaps outdriven only by De Chambeau.  They also could putt on fast greens. So Americans old ploy are not going to work as well.

I have never been a fan of Garcia. Playing to the crowd and his slow play annoys me. Rahm can carry the Spanish flag alone.

Have anyone checked out Whistling Straits? Longest par 4 is 520 yards! Try reaching that in 2.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: August 13, 2020, 05:27:33 pm »
Not sure if GB will have any more than 4 or 5 in the team as remember Rory will represent Ireland in any team event :p He better considering who funded him as a teenager. ;)

Always a nice blend of countries in Europe and its amazing we have such a team spirit when the USA usually have individuals who struggle big time in the foursomes and fourballs  but always kicked our ass in singles ...until Europe players came on the scene. When the Ryder Cup does come around next year we will probably have 10 of the top 15 in the world representing the States which will give them that false sense of superiority. Its amazing how that world ranking system works in favour of the PGA events and it will be even more screwed now to the Covid factor. Thankfully the USA have tasted defeat on a regular basis even when at home so lets see how many of them have 'no baggage'. :) as even those under 30 have poor Ryder cup stats.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: August 13, 2020, 09:01:19 pm »
Not sure if GB will have any more than 4 or 5 in the team as remember Rory will represent Ireland in any team event :p He better considering who funded him as a teenager. ;)

Always a nice blend of countries in Europe and its amazing we have such a team spirit when the USA usually have individuals who struggle big time in the foursomes and fourballs  but always kicked our ass in singles ...until Europe players came on the scene. When the Ryder Cup does come around next year we will probably have 10 of the top 15 in the world representing the States which will give them that false sense of superiority. Its amazing how that world ranking system works in favour of the PGA events and it will be even more screwed now to the Covid factor. Thankfully the USA have tasted defeat on a regular basis even when at home so lets see how many of them have 'no baggage'. :) as even those under 30 have poor Ryder cup stats.

I think some of them are more like Anthony Kim / Reed / Spieth. - (although Spieth is having a nightmare)
But yeah I think with the old timers gone it's going to be a great tournament. Rooting for Europe, I don't get to see much of the euro players apart from the ones over here.

Under pressure most of ours struggle with the putter - see Tommy / Casey / Rory and a few others

However, as you say The Ryder Cup brings out the "team" so will be fun watching.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09:01 pm »
Will Poulter make the European team?

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #1062 on: August 13, 2020, 11:12:42 pm »
Will Poulter make the European team?

I’d imagine only by captains choice, and even though quite a few would be ahead of him

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: August 13, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
I’d imagine only by captains choice, and even though quite a few would be ahead of him

Poulter should be on the team, imho. He leads by example.

He could be an assistant but he's more suited to playing and driving the emotion of the team that way.

No Poulter, no party ( win).  :wave

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2020, 09:48:27 am »
Poulter should be on the team, imho. He leads by example.

He could be an assistant but he's more suited to playing and driving the emotion of the team that way.

No Poulter, no party ( win).  :wave

We will see but in recent years he has not had the same impact at the event as since 2014 he has only contributed 3 points to the overall total and not playing at all in 2016. Definitely a few calls will have to be made on any wild card picks as Poulter will be relying on one I feel but then again he has shown some good form this year and his world ranking may be even in the Top 50. Each team will need a good blend of youth & experience and the good thing for Europe is they have perfected it in recent years as many of our players are under 30 ish and with several wins in their belt. Rory, Rahm, Sulllivan, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, even Pieters may feature again. No matter who goes USA will be the favourites on home soil but Europe will still have a swagger that only winners have.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1065 on: August 14, 2020, 09:53:11 am »
Was looking to replace my Ping G's with some PXG clubs, just fancied something a bit more different etc... anyway... £300~ per club... ffffffffucking hell, hard swerve especially without being able to try them anywhere outside the US really.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: August 14, 2020, 10:14:08 am »

i think them kicking us in the singles isnt the case as much anymore, used to be the case in the 90s maybe. Europe usually needed a lead going into sunday

since the turn of the millennium europe have shaded it there

i think its a good point that america seem to do better when you get a young and fearless approach

experience isnt everything at times

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: August 14, 2020, 10:53:35 am »
Was looking to replace my Ping G's with some PXG clubs, just fancied something a bit more different etc... anyway... £300~ per club... ffffffffucking hell, hard swerve especially without being able to try them anywhere outside the US really.

Crazy prices for clubs that were basically made by a Ping designer and not sure they are worth half that value. Not much of an equipment guy as I should spend my money on a few lessons versus new clubs but the better amateur players always seem to use Mizunos and another popular choice is Titleist AP2s. Have fun trying them all and see what suits you but when a 80 year old member at my local course who still plays off 4, tells me its not the club that makes the golfer. I usually listen ;)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: August 14, 2020, 11:58:14 am »
probably more for the how bad are you thread but my society is tryna fire up again which is good

as i work from home the last while i should be able to go more, dont think i played since day before the spurs final

usually cant get time off work but ive saved a good bit of leave up

built up enough browny points thats for sure

luckily im surrounded by golf courses in a 5-10 mile radius

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1069 on: August 14, 2020, 01:09:57 pm »
Crazy prices for clubs that were basically made by a Ping designer and not sure they are worth half that value. Not much of an equipment guy as I should spend my money on a few lessons versus new clubs but the better amateur players always seem to use Mizunos and another popular choice is Titleist AP2s. Have fun trying them all and see what suits you but when a 80 year old member at my local course who still plays off 4, tells me its not the club that makes the golfer. I usually listen ;)

Ya I seem to see a lot of positive views on Mizuno clubs and as a gold equipment manufacturer, kinda sidenote but I prefer their gloves over anyone elses, the only glove for me that's on par is the Callaway Opticolour I am using atm, a great fit and lovely leather.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: August 14, 2020, 03:18:45 pm »
Ya I seem to see a lot of positive views on Mizuno clubs and as a gold equipment manufacturer, kinda sidenote but I prefer their gloves over anyone elses, the only glove for me that's on par is the Callaway Opticolour I am using atm, a great fit and lovely leather.

The low handicappers seem to really enjoy Mizuno who have some lovely forged clubs but stay well away from blades unless you are a single digit player. Have a look online and see what takes your fancy but here is a great write up on various options

https://www.slimgolf.com/best-mizuno-irons/

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: August 14, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »

So over in the US there has been a huge sale on the GEN2 at $159 a club
My boy, before the car crash got fitted at Titleist and PXG.

Watching him hit both on the range, I hate small fitting studios the PXG were better for him. So I ordered a set and basically was less than half price of what it would have been and the same price as the Titleist

FWIW

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: August 14, 2020, 06:38:44 pm »

Check out Rick Sheils vids.

He does honest club reviews. To honest sometimes... :D

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:34 pm »
btw..I shot 73 today.  8)

Lowest round ever.

Every club in my bag is Calloway.  XR woods. Apex forged irons. PM wedges. Odyssey putter.

Srixon Q-star tour golf balls.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1074 on: August 14, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
Check out Rick Sheils vids.

He does honest club reviews. To honest sometimes... :D

He's brilliant. I wouldn't touch PXGs with a barge pole at the prices. If they were so good everyone on tour would play them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:55 pm »
He's brilliant. I wouldn't touch PXGs with a barge pole at the prices. If they were so good everyone on tour would play them.

You do realise that every club on tour you can’t buy in a shop 😉 and every club from every manufacturer is different for each player - all built differently.

If you see Rory and many others with the same club from Taylormade - every club is built differently for that player. No 2 clubs are the same
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:19:45 am by nuts100 »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: August 15, 2020, 11:14:23 am »
You do realise that every club on tour you can’t buy in a shop 😉 and every club from every manufacturer is different for each player - all built differently.

If you see Rory and many others with the same club from Taylormade - every club is built differently for that player. No 2 clubs are the same

Yes I do know that of course, there's still not many playing PXGs if they were worth the extra money then surely more tour players would be playing them. If you can get them on a deal then yes go ahead and purchase them, I'm just saying there's no discernible reason to pay over the top for them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #1077 on: August 15, 2020, 12:45:12 pm »
Yes I do know that of course, there's still not many playing PXGs if they were worth the extra money then surely more tour players would be playing them. If you can get them on a deal then yes go ahead and purchase them, I'm just saying there's no discernible reason to pay over the top for them.

Brand for tours is likely who’s paying them the most to use their gear.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: August 15, 2020, 12:47:34 pm »
Brand for tours is likely who’s paying them the most to use their gear.

Not true, I would say they pick performance over money. Rose went with Honma who were paying him a small fortune, he bought himself out of that contract to go back to playing his old clubs.

Once again I'm not saying PXGs are shit clubs, there's just no reason they should be priced so exorbitantly. If you can get a good deal on them, fire away.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: August 15, 2020, 03:24:11 pm »
The club manufacturers will always tweak and have new models out every year. Sometimes twice a year.

So you can find deals on previous model clubs.

As there are limits to performance as tested by the R&A and PGA, the improvements are very minor. But still can help golfers of all abilities if one looks for a club that fits your swing.

Claims of more distance are a bit cheeky by club manufacturers. For instance, a 7 iron loft is/was 35 degrees. Now some 7 iron lofts are 29 even 28 degrees. There's where the "longer" distance comes in play.

Also "feel" in a club. Forged club heads gives a player more "feel" in the shot. The other club head style, investment cast, is a club head cast from a block of steel. Typically the shot from this head has a harder feel to it, especially if you started with forged irons. ( after 20 years, finally got my son to go to forged irons this past year. He couldn't believe how "good" they felt.)

One other consideration is the offset from the hosel to the leading edge of the club head. Better players use less offset. More offset helps amateurs get the ball up in the air by promoting having your hands ahead of the impact area. So depending on your game, find out which type of offset is best for you.

This is why testing various brands and models helps fine tune what is best for you. Getting specifically fitted is the better yet. ( my only advice on getting fitted is have your swing in good nick for you. Don't go in to get fitted because you're pissed off with how you're hitting the ball. Take a lesson instead. Once you've got your swing down, then get fitted to improve your game)

As I was told during a lesson, golf is a simple game which is over complicated.