Author Topic: Jailed for Bad Walking  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jailed for Bad Walking
« on: September 30, 2005, 01:29:30 pm »
The range of laws imposed upon us never ceases to amaze me.....

Here

A PEDESTRIAN who caused a 70mph crash by strolling into a road to ask directions has been jailed for reckless walking.

Drunk Marcus Whitelaw watched as a car swerved to avoid him, hit a kerb and flipped.

He then asked the shocked driver: "Sorry, did I cause that? Which way is Inverness?" The 27-year-old, of Bailey Place, Lossiemouth, became one of the first people ever to be jailed for bad walking when he was locked up for two months yesterday.

Perth Sheriff Court heard driver Marie Connon and passenger Ian Fraser had been lucky to escape serious injury in the smash.

Dawn Samson, prosecuting, said Miss Connon had collected Mr Fraser in Kirkcaldy as she made her way from Lincolnshire to Lossiemouth on March 14.

She was heading north on the A9 between Perth and Inverness when she spotted Whitelaw.

The prosecutor said: "She saw something ahead. She manoeuvred into the offside lane to avoid whatever it was, then realised it wasa person.

"The accused stepped from the nearside to the offside lane waving his arms above his head.

"He appeared to be signalling them to stop. Miss Connon applied the brakes and steered away from the pedestrian"She mounted the central reservation.Thevehiclestruckthe kerb andwas lifted from the road.

"It overturned on to its roof. It ultimately came to rest on its wheels again.

"Fuel was leaking from the vehicle and the engine was smoking. They feared it would ignite."

Miss Connon and Mr Fraser scrambled out of the car and were waiting by the roadside when Whitelaw approached them to ask for directions, it was said.

Both the driver and her passenger escaped serious injury but her £4000 Peugeot 306 car was a write-off.

Gwen Wood, defending, said Whitelaw, who admitted culpably and recklessly walking into the path of oncoming traffic and endangering life, had been drinking all day in Inverness.

She said he had been dumped by friends after a fight and was in an "agitated state".

Sheriff Michael Fletcher said: "This was an incredibly stupid action on your part. The consequences were dire but could have been much more serious for the driver of that vehicle and others."

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Jailed for Bad Walking
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:33:44 pm »
Only in Scotland.... ;D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:34:38 pm »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:35:54 pm »
Stroll on!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:36:51 pm »
Is it only me who thinks the Scottish courts have got this spot on?
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:38:49 pm »
Good, about time pedestrians took some responsibility for their actions. A mate of mine had a girl of 15 (pissed) wander in front of him leaving him no chance to stop. She was very seriously injured and he felt awful, despite the fact it was her own fault. He also had £1,500 of damage to his car which in the end his insurance company had to claim from the girls family.

Nope, whole heartedly agree.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:14 pm »

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 01:42:27 pm »

Nope.
I've been sitting here trying to work out what the problem is- if not the label (and it is a little Morrisesque) then surely the sanction is spot on?

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 01:43:45 pm »
Seems fair enough to me.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 01:44:54 pm »
Nope.
I've been sitting here trying to work out what the problem is- if not the label (and it is a little Morrisesque) then surely the sanction is spot on?

There's no problem. :wave Just something unusual to brighten your day.

I made the point about a raft of laws since "bad walking" is not one I'd previously considered could exist. It ranks alongside punishments for cyclists for "pedalling furiously".

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 01:45:49 pm »
Incidentally, I'm also quite surprised the driver wasn't prosecuted. It's unusual for a pedestrian to be done, but not the driver.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 01:47:15 pm »
Incidentally, I'm also quite surprised the driver wasn't prosecuted. It's unusual for a pedestrian to be done, but not the driver.
And what did the driver actually do wrong?

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 01:47:43 pm »
Think the notion of calling it "bad walking" is amusing, same as Milsee. But definately agree that the bloke got what he deserved. He's lucky the people in the car didn't die else a good prosecution lawyer might have got him sentenced for manslaughter.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 01:49:12 pm »
There's no problem. :wave Just something unusual to brighten your day.

I agree, when I saw the title of the thread, I've got to admit I smiled thinking it was a joke. Having then read the story, I was in disbelief, pretty horrific or could have been a lot worse by the sound of it...

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 01:50:36 pm »
And what did the driver actually do wrong?

Nothing. I didn't say they did. It is unusual for an accident like this to happen and the driver not be proseucted for driving without due care, or some such thing.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 01:51:48 pm »
Pedestrians really should take more care on the road. Common attitude seems to be "if something hits me it's not my fault" when that can't always be the case. Think the fact the bloke was highly intoxicated probably also led to his being blamed :)

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 01:54:11 pm »
Think the fact the bloke was highly intoxicated probably also led to his being blamed :)

We are talking about a Scottish guy here... :P

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 01:57:41 pm »
When I have the misfortune to drive to Southport they are lemming like in their seeming wish to hedgehogged

About time they started doing people for this

And it was all going so well

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 01:58:06 pm »
I wonder if I could get all the charvers round our way locked up for bad walking. You wanna see them!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 02:07:14 pm »

Nope, serves the c*nt right. I'm sick to fucking death of swerving to miss pedestrians who just wander out without a fucking care.

When I have the misfortune to drive to Southport they are lemming like in their seeming wish to hedgehogged

About time they started doing people for this

Sadly, I live there. Chapel Street is a nightmare the way the dicks cross everywhere EXCEPT the pedestrian crossing  :wanker
Jurgen YNWA

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 02:22:13 pm »
A PEDESTRIAN who caused a 70mph crash by strolling into a road to ask directions has been jailed for reckless walking.

The phrase 'bad walking' does not appear in any of the legalese in the article, presumably it's only the journo that came up with that. Reckless walking (or jaywalking as it has been known for years and years) is an offence, meaning to cross the road illegally or recklessly.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 6, 2005, 03:53:28 pm »
Woman fined for 'walking slowly'
By Jade Bilowol
06oct05

AN 83-year-old Queensland woman with a walking stick was fined for "crossing the road too slowly", her friend said today.

Police recently issued a $30 fine to aged pensioner Pat Gallen for not crossing a road "in the most direct route" in the small township of Malanda, near Cairns in far north Queensland.

Friend Fay Millist, 66, said an uproar in the shocked town ensued, forcing embarrassed police to tear up the ticket and write an apology to the puzzled pensioner.

the advertiser

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #22 on: October 6, 2005, 04:05:48 pm »
The phrase 'bad walking' does not appear in any of the legalese in the article, presumably it's only the journo that came up with that. Reckless walking (or jaywalking as it has been known for years and years) is an offence, meaning to cross the road illegally or recklessly.

However, you CAN get done for "FURIOUS driving" in the Isle of Man :D

More specifically, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, which prohibits, "wanton and furious driving or racing".

Yes. From 1861. :D

My research has also found that is is ALSO illegal in East Anglia.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 04:09:23 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline rasher

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: October 6, 2005, 04:10:16 pm »
thats fair enough, although the gee bag driving the car must have been doing a fair speed anaw for it to flip over.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 6, 2005, 04:14:56 pm »

Also, "pedalling furiously" on a bicycle, as mentioned earlier.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 6, 2005, 04:15:02 pm »

More specifically, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, which prohibits, "wanton and furious driving or racing".

Yes. From 1861. :D

My research has also found that is is ALSO illegal in East Anglia.   ;D

If you drive dangerously on private land then you will get charged with that because the Road Traffic Act only applies to roads (ie public ones) and public places.

Offline matty c

• RAWK Ho - £50 a night, hotel room thrown in
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: October 6, 2005, 04:38:33 pm »
if you cause an injury or death while driving you can be jailed so why shouldn't someone get the same for punishment for causing such injurys while on foot ?

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #27 on: October 6, 2005, 04:46:07 pm »
If this law is to be applied retrospectively then some of our players under Houlier could be jailed for bad running.  Heskey springs to mind. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline smullo

• RAWK Bonjella Rep
  • Kopite
  • You can't put a price on History
« Reply #28 on: October 6, 2005, 04:51:46 pm »
Is this a wind up
"I hate talking about football. I just do it, you know?" Robbie Fowler

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #29 on: October 6, 2005, 05:08:47 pm »
Woman fined for 'walking slowly'
By Jade Bilowol
06oct05

AN 83-year-old Queensland woman with a walking stick was fined for "crossing the road too slowly", her friend said today.

Police recently issued a $30 fine to aged pensioner Pat Gallen for not crossing a road "in the most direct route" in the small township of Malanda, near Cairns in far north Queensland.

Friend Fay Millist, 66, said an uproar in the shocked town ensued, forcing embarrassed police to tear up the ticket and write an apology to the puzzled pensioner.

the advertiser

fuck me, i spent a week in that shit hole. its about 50 yds long, the locals where warned by the local copper when the highway patrol{ black rats} where in t area , thus keeping their rust ridden brake defiecient buckets of shit of the road.....

and their all inbred 2 headed twats anyway. the only thing thats there is a pub and a dairy ...
JFT 96

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 7, 2005, 03:33:42 pm »
Its a big problem with an easy solution.  If people stopped walking and instead used their cars more then  you wouldn't have situations where pedestrians cause accidents.

Awaits wall to wall abuse from the anti-car brigade  ;D :wave
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #31 on: October 9, 2005, 11:07:18 pm »

No, I'm with you the plonker should be locked up for longer.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 5, 2018, 09:28:29 pm »
Also, "pedalling furiously" on a bicycle, as mentioned earlier.
I'm on a mission to get a speeding ticket while riding my bike.    ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 5, 2018, 10:15:04 pm »
There are many laws that seemed designed to hit the half percent of people in the country who are complete idiots.  Most people are sensible enough to abide by this law.

I remember being on the 10A when some staggering drunk fool fell right in the road in front of us.  Driver had to slam the brakes on hard.  This moron was on his back, laughing his head off, completely oblivious to the fact he was about 2 seconds away from having his head popped like a fucking water melon.  Driver got him back on his feet and within 10 paces he'd fallen over some house's stone wall.  You could see his legs sticking up in the air with his trousers fallen from his ankles to hang around his knees.  Wanker.  Really felt for the driver.

Punishment is spot on imo.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art