Author Topic: Election Night in Canada  (Read 17516 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Election Night in Canada
« Reply #160 on: June 8, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
unfuckingbelievable result. Horrible horrible man and now he's in charge of the largest economy in Canada.

The result wasn't surprising; the low turnout was. Ford has no plan but the same type of people who believe in Brexit unicorns seem to think he'll lower gas and hydro prices, oh and bizarrely bring down the price of beer. If the Liberals had dumped Wynne like they should have we'd probably have something closer to a PC minority. Shame on those who didn't vote and those who vocally dislike Trump but happily voted for this populist clown who gave no interviews or provide a costed plan and is dealing with a lawsuit from his brother's widow
« Last Edit: June 8, 2018, 11:22:47 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: June 8, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
I think the lack of an actual breakdown of his spending promises was the most staggering part of it all. As if we've moved past all pretense of conservative parties as fiscally responsible. Just appeal to the greedy middle class by lowering their taxes and hope the working classes don't show up on the day.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #162 on: June 8, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
We need proportional representation, ASAP
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #163 on: June 8, 2018, 09:12:34 pm »
We need proportional representation, ASAP

I prefer the alternative vote because it encourages candiaidtes that are acceptable by at least 50% of people. Technology has changed most aspects of our lives. But we are still voting like its the 19th century.

But a combination of proportional and geographic ridings could work. it would ensure that people can vote for whatever party they want, not just the enemy of their enemy too.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:33 pm »

The National Energy Program for one, which prevented Alberta from maximizing the oil crisis in the 70s and inhibited the oil and gas industry from growing. That alone is at the core of the East-West divide in Canada and spurred a young Stephen Harper on, which led to the creation of the Reform Party and it swallowing up the no longer moderate Progressive Conservatives. Trudeau's ability to be likeable and his ability to defy three years of attack ads through solid debates and reinforcing a positive message has seen him win. If the Liberals get a majority, it won't be necessarily a protest vote. Harper put all his eggs in the oil basket economically, while skimping on things at the core of his base, such as declining military funding and pushing a fearmongering approach that I think turned off many Red Tories/Blue Liberals. He'll probably go down as Canada's Nixon without the environmental record.

Alberta is about to see a gigantic protest against the $4.5 billion Trans Mountain pipeline that Trudeau's goverment has purchased.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eFqmV2RWt4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5eFqmV2RWt4</a>

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2019, 11:40:38 am »
Not surprised about the election result. The Liberals were always going to lose some votes as 2015 was a perfect storm, whereas now normal service has mostly resumed in the likes of Alberta and Quebec, plus the added irrational hatred of Trudeau in some quarters. You also have stronger showings for the Greens that will cut into Liberal seats.

That said, the Conservatives need a long hard look in the mirror. Ford made them toxic in Ontario, despite being hidden away for five months. Additionally, you also can't campaign on a platform largely built upon smear tactics/misinformation and getting rid of a carbon tax that a) looks to have been deemed as constitutional by the courts b) has widespread support.

The Conservatives will argue they took the popular vote, discounting the fact that this was largely because turnout in Alberta and Saskatchewan was high, but in areas they'd likely have won in anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Scheer is gone before the end of the year. It doesn't help that he has the personality of a piece of toast. The fact that Scheer encompassed two previous Conservative talking points that they used to hammer previous Liberal candidates (like Dion he has dual citizenship and he's younger than Trudeau was last time around) is amusingly hypocritical.

That said, his approach has shown that he's not electable. His inability to explain basic things about himself and his policies did him no favours. His approach when asked tough questions about his previous comments about gay marriage or Brexit was simply to make vague waffling non-answers before pivoting to Trudeau. For all his talk about transparency he couldn't even answer basic questions about whether his party hired Warren Kinsella to conduct a smear campaign, nor could he provide a simple response about his education or his resume.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:44 pm »
Yeah this was a real failure of strategy by the Conservative party. They couldn't beat a guy who was reeling from scandal to scandal for the last year.

---Rilke

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
Yeah this was a real failure of strategy by the Conservative party. They couldn't beat a guy who was reeling from scandal to scandal for the last year.

Wouldn't surprise me if they try to recruit someone like Mackay to be party leader as a moderate face, who would appeal to voters in Ontario and Atlantic Canada. If they look to recruit someone like Kenney they will get (rightly) pummelled.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2019, 03:58:04 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me if they try to recruit someone like Mackay to be party leader as a moderate face, who would appeal to voters in Ontario and Atlantic Canada. If they look to recruit someone like Kenney they will get (rightly) pummelled.

The problem for them is that they have to hold on to their base in Alberta, at all costs, and it's not clear that Alberta will accept a moderate face for the party.
---Rilke

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2019, 04:07:14 pm »
The problem for them is that they have to hold on to their base in Alberta, at all costs, and it's not clear that Alberta will accept a moderate face for the party.

Who else are they gonna vote for?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2019, 04:10:16 pm »
Who else are they gonna vote for?

I wouldn't be too shocked to see a regional party gain popularity if it is to the right of the conservatives, like the Bloc in Quebec.
---Rilke

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2019, 06:10:23 pm »
I wouldn't be too shocked to see a regional party gain popularity if it is to the right of the conservatives, like the Bloc in Quebec.

If the Liberals go back to their promise of enacting alternative vote, it could splinter the conservatives between, christianists, economic conservatives, xenophobes and libertarians. And of course Western resentment could become a party.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2019, 06:13:59 pm »
Liberals did well to hold onto power given the scandals. Surprised that they so viscerally hated in Alberta. Trudeau did a lot to appease them, even spent billions of government money to buy and build the trans mountain pipeline. They just need to come to terms with the fact that when your whole economy is built around a commodity like oil, the price changes will cause boom bust cycles. Nothing any prime-minister can do about that.

Conservatives could have used a more inspiring leader. In this election the only way they could have gotten a majority was if NDP and Greens made a stronger showing and undercut Liberal votes. The Doug Ford factor is also a massive reason why they were so dismal in eastern Canada. Liberals really pounced on this opportunity.

NDP have been declining for a while, lost even more seats. I actually think Jagmeet being a turban wearing Sikh man really hurt their chances. I hate playing the race card but is there a solid reason other than unconscious biases of voters, why they performed so badly? He can be a little cringe sometimes but out of the major party Leaders he was clearly the most trustworthy and firm in his beliefs. Trudeau obviously lied about a number of election promises last time and had major corruption scandals. Scheer flip-flopped a lot of social issues. Yet I have seen people describe Jagmeet as shifty and opportunistic.

Greens done well. Gained another seat and were more relevant in total voting percentage. They were really helped by the fact that Climate Change became a major election issue this time around.

PPC. Screw em. I am happy to see that little shit Bernier lose his seat.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2019, 06:56:28 pm »
Liberals did well to hold onto power given the scandals. Surprised that they so viscerally hated in Alberta. Trudeau did a lot to appease them, even spent billions of government money to buy and build the trans mountain pipeline. They just need to come to terms with the fact that when your whole economy is built around a commodity like oil, the price changes will cause boom bust cycles. Nothing any prime-minister can do about that.

Carbon tax aside, he's pretty much appeased them as best he could with little to no benefit. It was always likely to be a fruitless exercise. It's not his fault environmental groups keep challenging the expansion project in the courts.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:58:41 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2019, 08:54:36 pm »
Well done canada