Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 542081 times)

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
Re: Michael Edwards and the Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1520 on: January 29, 2022, 06:07:57 pm »
She probably accidentally entered the Matrix. She may now know it though.

you are The One Vera

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1521 on: January 30, 2022, 07:38:50 am »
;D This was a few years ago now but I often think about her. Hope to Christ they’ve replaced it with an iPad or something.
Or even just a bog-standard Windows laptop with good RAM.
I'm SysOps, so I'm more BSD/Linux, but I'd never in my life recommend something other than Windows to anyone who doesn't know much about computers.
Mac is a bit of a step up- "quirky", needs specialst support and a little more costly so I've never recommended it to "first time" computer owners. (German old ladies just love their Macs though! It's like a 2nd family dog! ;D )

Back to Harvey- I would love to see him get some minutes. It would be a bit of a step up from an U23 Friendly, but prolly the next step in his recovery.
I'd like to see some first teamers though, just to make sure we're not coming back looking too "leggy" and yet again- repeat the same mistake that's been plaguing us for much of the Premier League era since 2000. We, especially, are notorious for coming back looking like we've just stumbled out of the alehouse after the Jan break. Hated this break especially under Ged, Rafa and Rodgers... and we've not looked like we've handled it too good either under Jurgen.
Hope we've got kept those joints well oiled.. even though it didn't seem to help much in the past.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:41:16 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1522 on: January 30, 2022, 09:00:29 am »
My mates gran went to buy a macbook air cos she wanted something to read facebook on etc. The tech guy persuaded her to get a linux laptop cos its "open source". So now this poor old biddy is sitting at home with her tea and biscuits trying to get her head around ubuntu.

Sounds like Andy@ has been moonlighting at PC World.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1523 on: January 30, 2022, 09:41:43 am »
Should have got a chromebook.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #1524 on: January 30, 2022, 01:41:11 pm »
Just reading about a potential big deal for Luiz Diaz - who I know nothing about but is reputed to be a 'big name' signing - got me wondering.

Where have we got the money from? I genuinely believed we were a bit strapped for cash no? Any financial gurus that could enlighten me about our club finances would be grand!

The money was there, club just didn’t want to pay over the odds in order to get him early until they were able to get him for a price they deemed reasonable: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/30/liverpool-backdoored-tottenham-win-battle-luis-diaz-outflanked/

It had all started last year with Porto’s financial problems - news of which had started to circulate in the game. Liverpool were aware of how serious those had become by the delays the Portuguese club had sought in paying the balance on their fees owed on the deal for Serb midfielder Marko Gruijic.

Through the autumn and towards the end of the year the club were making it known that they would sell Diaz, the joint-top goalscorer at last summer’s Copa America. Jurgen Klopp had identified Diaz as his first-choice recruit and Liverpool were interested. Diaz had an €80m buyout clause but the price was set by Porto at €60m plus add-ons. At that cost Liverpool were not interested. They said they would meet Porto after the January window to discuss a possible summer deal.

A few weeks later Porto told Liverpool there were other interested parties, and the Premier League club asked to be kept up to speed. More than once, Liverpool said they were not interested at the price being quoted, and in the meantime Levy started negotiating. The only caveat on Liverpool’s side being that if a deal was agreed, the recruitment team asked that they could be informed. They told the players’ representatives they would take any Spurs deal for Diaz to Fenway for consideration…

Levy agreed a €45m fee with around €15m of add-ons. It was in the add-ons he drove a hard bargain – they were based on targets that would be difficult for Diaz to achieve. Once that was agreed, Liverpool were given sight of the deal. Ward and Edwards, working closely with Dave Fallows, the head of recruitment, moved quickly.

Fenway agreed to pay the fee. Desperate for a cash injection to deal with payments due, Porto asked for €8m by this coming Monday. Liverpool said they could do it. A FaceTime call between Klopp and Diaz was sanctioned by Porto and the pair met at last, albeit remotely. Diaz was in the Colombia team hotel as they prepared for their World Cup qualifier against Peru on Friday in the city of Barranquilla. Klopp was on Merseyside. They got on well.

By Thursday morning, a deal was agreed between Liverpool and Porto: €45m up front and €15m in add-ons, more or less what had been agreed between Porto and Spurs. In addition, that €8m would be paid almost immediately – not an insignificant amount of cash for any club to find in a few days. Diaz and his representatives told Porto that Liverpool were the preferred destination. A transfer agreement was in place by the end of Thursday.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1525 on: February 10, 2022, 06:58:24 pm »
Personally think this should go in the PBP thread but once again the PL TV bubble isn't bursting anytime soon:

tariq panja
@tariqpanja
Premier League has finalised latest TV rights sales and international has overtaken domestic for the first time, bringing in £5.3b. Total is £10.5b (inc. £120m commercial) over three years. Once again numbers show there is not a big-5 when it comes to leagues. PL miles ahead.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1526 on: February 10, 2022, 07:38:39 pm »
wow, Mbappe is coming then
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1527 on: March 17, 2022, 01:59:52 pm »
PSG want Mikey now.

Michael Edwards is on a shortlist of those under consideration to take a similar role at Paris St-Germain as the French club embarks on yet another new direction after a chastening Champions League elimination.  [Telegraph]

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1528 on: March 17, 2022, 02:05:45 pm »
I'd prefer him to go somewhere like that, as ultimately they always want the shiny new toy to help them sportswash which isn't how he works. He'll go and find them a Wijnaldum and they'll all boo him.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1529 on: March 17, 2022, 02:08:37 pm »
...Mac is a bit of a step up- "quirky", needs specialst support and a little more costly so I've never recommended it to "first time" computer owners...
:lmao
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: March 17, 2022, 04:30:55 pm »
PSG want Mikey now.

What for, to find hidden gems like Haaland for them?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1531 on: April 29, 2022, 11:07:56 am »
The contracts of Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane are currently set to expire on the same day in 14 months’ time and Klopp would like both of them to stay. Perhaps he will find a way to convince new sporting director Julian Ward to help ensure that happens.

Yesterday’s developments are not related to the departure of Ward’s predecessor but Klopp’s relationship with Michael Edwards – while constructive – had a different dynamic, given its longevity and the seniority established by the outgoing executive. With Ward taking over, Klopp’s life within the club is likely to become smoother.

https://theathletic.com/3277837/2022/04/29/klopp-inside-the-deal-to-extend-liverpool-love-affair/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: April 29, 2022, 12:33:38 pm »
The contracts of Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane are currently set to expire on the same day in 14 months’ time and Klopp would like both of them to stay. Perhaps he will find a way to convince new sporting director Julian Ward to help ensure that happens.

Yesterday’s developments are not related to the departure of Ward’s predecessor but Klopp’s relationship with Michael Edwards – while constructive – had a different dynamic, given its longevity and the seniority established by the outgoing executive. With Ward taking over, Klopp’s life within the club is likely to become smoother.

https://theathletic.com/3277837/2022/04/29/klopp-inside-the-deal-to-extend-liverpool-love-affair/

weird statement.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: April 29, 2022, 12:37:42 pm »
weird statement.
Just another rag that thrives on controversy now.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1534 on: April 29, 2022, 12:38:24 pm »

Yup.

Klopp and Edwards have quite clearly worked great together, and Klopp has sung his praises many times.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1535 on: April 29, 2022, 01:17:03 pm »

They really are, perhaps they churn out loads of content for all clubs, but all I seem to see are obsequious articles on City (and now Newcastle) all the time. Behind a paywall, of course, but I can’t say I’d be tempted to read that kind of thing.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: April 29, 2022, 02:17:38 pm »
weird statement.
yeah that's what I thought ....

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1537 on: April 29, 2022, 06:49:00 pm »
I think all it’s trying it say is that there will be an element of power shift with the relative seniorities of the two positions being different.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1538 on: April 30, 2022, 12:44:15 am »
They really are, perhaps they churn out loads of content for all clubs, but all I seem to see are obsequious articles on City (and now Newcastle) all the time. Behind a paywall, of course, but I can’t say I’d be tempted to read that kind of thing.
Not really shocked they are peddling puff pieces on those teams and going hook, line and sinker for the sportswashing.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1539 on: April 30, 2022, 01:01:46 am »
Yup.

Klopp and Edwards have quite clearly worked great together, and Klopp has sung his praises many times.

Yup and Klopp says Divock is World Class.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: April 30, 2022, 06:44:01 am »
It’s an interesting one - there have been times where we’ve been very “jam tomorrow” and while it’s stood us in good stead it’s arguably cost us an edge in relation to silverware. I don’t think it’s that weird when you think of situations where he’s been annoyed (most notably the centre half situation last winter… albeit again that led to us getting Konate).
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #1541 on: April 30, 2022, 09:36:11 am »
It’s an interesting one - there have been times where we’ve been very “jam tomorrow” and while it’s stood us in good stead it’s arguably cost us an edge in relation to silverware. I don’t think it’s that weird when you think of situations where he’s been annoyed (most notably the centre half situation last winter… albeit again that led to us getting Konate).

It did. Given the praise heaped on Diaz for slotting into our system so well I would say that Konate has been a fantastic addition to our high line and just as impressive as Diaz. If you add on his three goals i would say he has been even better.

I can see there will be a power shift given Ward is newer but Klopp has the character to ensure a smooth working relationship with almost anyone. I won’t be worrying about that change for sure.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1542 on: May 23, 2022, 04:07:49 pm »
Nice want Mikey now.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1528701349902356480

OGC Nice are targeting Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards to replace the outgoing Julien Fournier.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1544 on: May 23, 2022, 04:18:15 pm »
Wonder what Nice could offer him that would make working there better than being here. Many said at the time his next role might be something completely different to what he was doing here, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1545 on: May 23, 2022, 04:22:01 pm »
Wonder what Nice could offer him that would make working there better than being here. Many said at the time his next role might be something completely different to what he was doing here, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

He's been here 10 years. Maybe he just wants a change in scenery
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: May 23, 2022, 04:22:08 pm »
Nice are owned by Jim Ratcliffe, the guy who wanted to buy Chelsea. They've got a few bob on them.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: May 23, 2022, 04:26:56 pm »

New project to help build up probably

10 years is a long time at one job, some people like change

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1548 on: May 23, 2022, 04:27:34 pm »
Nice are owned by Jim Ratcliffe, the guy who wanted to buy Chelsea. They've got a few bob on them.

His brother is in a senior position there and when they signed him took a dig at Everton but telling Morgan that “ at last you are now joining a proper football club”.

Cue victimisation status across the Park.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: May 23, 2022, 04:28:42 pm »
Takes the biscuit.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1550 on: May 23, 2022, 06:26:59 pm »
Nice want Mikey now.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1528701349902356480

Wasn't there some talk at point that he was interested in working in a similar role in another sport (likely in the U.S)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: May 23, 2022, 06:36:23 pm »
Yes mate. Baseball?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1552 on: May 23, 2022, 06:41:12 pm »
Wonder what Nice could offer him that would make working there better than being here.
Biscuits? I'm hearing that Millie and Robbo are also interested...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #1553 on: May 23, 2022, 07:12:30 pm »
Biscuits? I'm hearing that Millie and Robbo are also interested...

Absolute gold 😁
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1554 on: May 23, 2022, 07:14:14 pm »
I hope we've changed the passwords  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: May 23, 2022, 07:31:16 pm »
erm ... Nice? :)

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1556 on: May 23, 2022, 07:47:21 pm »
*Mrs Merton voice* What first attracted you to the French Riviera?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1557 on: May 23, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »
erm ... Nice? :)
Monte Carlo is only 20 min away, he may be applying his skills there... ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1558 on: May 23, 2022, 11:58:23 pm »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.