Poll

Every week PGMOL fuck us over. City are cheats. The league is shite....

I'd be very upset. The Premier League is the best competition there is
I would be a bit upset, but I can see the reasons for leaving
Chocolate Truffles
I'd be quite happy. The Premier league isn't what it was
I'd be delighted. Fuck them
I like cheesy wotsits covered in gravy. Mmmm.. Gravy....

Author Topic: If Liverpool fucked off the Premier league, how would you feel?  (Read 22052 times)

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: If Liverpool fucked off the Premier league, how would you feel?
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2023, 09:17:14 pm »
I voted "very upset", ignoring the "bestest comp ever bit"... there's a lot to dislike about what it's become since Abramovich was allowed to corrupt its integrity, but it's been a big part of my life for a long time, and for a while the commercial hype was worth it to have the world's best players come to our league. And the league is what it's ultimately all about for Liverpool FC, so an exodus to some new competition without its rich history would be a gut punch. As others have said, I'd rather excise the cancer than blow the brains out.

Out of interest on this integrity piece.  If man utd had had the brains to employ Guardiola years ago and actually spent money well would everyone he alright with that ?

After all they earn their money though success in the pitch .....

I'm guessing the moaning would be the same

I do agree football is broken though, and the only way I see it being fixed is with European wide salary cap that would stop the big teams having massive squads of internationals, can't see it happening anytime soon though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2023, 09:20:23 pm »
I don't disagree with you that Van Dijk shouldn't have been called offside, it was more about the Palace one. The decision in our match was a joke.

Yeah but under the law as written, he was stood offside when it hit the Fulham defender, so should have been disallowed.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2023, 09:28:39 pm »
Yeah but under the law as written, he was stood offside when it hit the Fulham defender, so should have been disallowed.

Do you have a link to that? I'm sure I've read the whole rule before and it's a bit clearer there.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2023, 09:35:33 pm »
As long as the state owned clubs are left out, I am 100% in favor of the European Super League. I would love to see it with 3 tiers and 72 clubs (maybe even 4 tiers and 96 clubs), promotion/relegation of 4 clubs between the tiers every season, no more than 4 clubs from one country and no more than 2 clubs from one city (so most of the European countries are involved), a professional refereeing organization with the best referees in the World, and of course, a fair distribution of the ESL revenues to all the involved clubs ...

You realise you’re championing joining a league with… in your own words ‘the original sportswashers’ in order to escape… sportswashers

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2023, 09:41:23 pm »
Do you have a link to that? I'm sure I've read the whole rule before and it's a bit clearer there.

Have a look on the FA website. Google offside law (I'm sat in the car waiting to pick my son up from sir cadets)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2023, 10:08:20 pm »

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

I see what you mean, it's all a bit of a mess.

I'll tell you what though, the Man Utd goal given against Man City where Rashford wasn't deemed offside has pissed me off even more after reading that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2023, 10:09:15 pm »
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

I see what you mean, it's all a bit of a mess.

I'll tell you what though, the Man Utd goal given against Man City where Rashford wasn't deemed offside has pissed me off even more after reading that.
That was Mike Riley's parting gift to his favourite team.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2023, 10:11:09 pm »
Out of interest on this integrity piece.  If man utd had had the brains to employ Guardiola years ago and actually spent money well would everyone he alright with that ?

I do agree football is broken though, and the only way I see it being fixed is with European wide salary cap that would stop the big teams having massive squads of internationals, can't see it happening anytime soon though.
Salary cap would never work with the Sports washers.

Wages off the books would be diverted to the royal family banks in Abu Dhabi, Doha and Riyadh.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2023, 10:11:47 pm »

And you'd be guessing wrong. They are actual rivals and although they sold their soul, they do their stuff within the rules of the competitions they compete in.,
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2023, 10:54:58 pm »
Did you go to Anfield yesterday?

Why, does this thread encapsulate the mood at the ground or something?

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2023, 10:56:41 pm »
You realise you’re championing joining a league with… in your own words ‘the original sportswashers’ in order to escape… sportswashers

I'm confused by this also - the remedy to escape sportswashers is to completely surround yourself with them forever. A bold strategy

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2023, 11:12:42 pm »
Why, does this thread encapsulate the mood at the ground or something?

It's captures the mood of some of the chats I was having during the game and after in the pub.

A lot of people are seriously pissed off. That fucking cheating c*nt reffing didn't help the mood much either.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2023, 02:43:38 am »

We'd be moaning that the league was boring and predictable, and I suppose if Guardiola managed to wield the same influence on referees and the press that HSS did, we'd certainly moan about that too. Don't think we'd be talking about breakaway leagues just because we couldn't find a way to conquer the beast, though.

Anyway, it's a moot point, if Mancs had brains they'd have dominated the 70s and 80s too, but they don't, and they didn't. :)

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2023, 07:56:00 am »
I take it you've not seen the stats that clearly show LFC get a disproportionately large number of decisions against them when compared to other clubs?

It might not be corruption, but it's more than simply referees being bad at their job.

Its called “variance”

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2023, 08:26:16 am »
There is football outside of the Premier League. The sooner English fans understand that, the sooner they will accept the inevitable. The first time you were tricked by the likes of Gary Neville, on behalf of the real owners of the Premier League, Sky Sports.

It continually baffles me who you think you're chatting with on here.

Liverpool are a European club, our fanbase cherish and value the concept of continental competition, and we have added to it immeasurably over the last 50 years or more. We aren't John Bull type little Englanders clinging on to the idea that English football is the be all and end all at the expense of anyone else, and we never have been.

Just because some of us think your utopian ESL idea is awful doesn't mean we want nothing but domestic football. We want Liverpool to be the cream of the crop both domestically and internationally, because both matter. Domestic football is where the traditions exist, where our old rivals and tribal opponents exist, and the continent is where our history has taken us. Both matter.

But to you one doesn't matter because you don't value the local over the continental, it's all about some grand project that suits your version of football. It's fine, your opinions are as valid and as stupid as mine or anyone elses, but you do seem to miss something quite often.

Your lack of understanding as to why some of us care about what Everton do was another clue in this. Liverpool are a club with local and traditional rivals, we aren't a project to stick your pan European ideas to and expect everyone to be as excited as you about it.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2023, 08:31:51 am »
Its called “variance”

Defining it doesn't explain it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2023, 08:36:47 am »
Nah, it pretty much does

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2023, 08:41:37 am »
Ive already fucked it off. Dont watch any of it anymore. Not even LFC games.

When I visit my aunt n uncle nr Dumfries, I pop over to Palmerston and watch the mighty QotS. Proper footie, community and pies. Like it all used to be.

Im getting old.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2023, 08:55:48 am »
Nah, it pretty much does

You can only explain truly random data with variance, to just dismiss any possible causation in subjective decisions a group of people continue to make over a sustained period of time is naive.

If this was over a season or two, I'd say (and have previously said) it evens itself out, but at over half a decade of dogshit officiating statistically going against us, I can't subscribe to that line of though any more. There is clearly something going on here, I believe it's almost certainly subconscious on the individual referees performance, but the allocation of referees by the PGMOL needs a proper looking at. Referees being sent to Anfield disproportionately due to the pressure isn't variance, it's not even, and it's not fair. Referees should be drawn at random from a pool of suitably qualified referees, if you can't send some to Anfield due to the pressure, then they shouldn't be reffing the premier league at all.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2023, 09:16:29 am »
Nah, it pretty much does

Nah. You see the correct statistical term you are looking for is bias
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2023, 09:44:35 am »
LiVARiance

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2023, 09:48:05 am »
I would want 2 more (without Man U winning more) before we fuck it off

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2023, 10:00:25 am »
PL pros:

- Global Exposure
- Prestige of winning
- European Qualification
- Derbies and Big Games
- The Best League in the world!

PL Cons:

- Global Exposure leading to every man and his dog thinking they have a valid opinion on us and subjecting us to the endless toxicity of "banter culture"
- Ever eroding prestige of winning, as the focus is not on great football but on how much money you can throw at the problem and how dodgy you can be before getting charged with 115 breaches (and then celebrating lawyer appointments like new signings)
- Overcrowded fixture schedules meaning you have to play FK Chernobyl at 9pm on Thursday followed by a lunchtime kick off away to Brighton on the Saturday
- The hate, bile and general toxicity spewed by the Blues who's sole existence of late is to one up their more successful neighbours, and when reminded of how shite they are they retort to the same old shite about Heysel and some vague reference to Norwegians. Then you can sit back and relax for the ever-eventful games with United and be called a murderer for 90 minutes and then tune in for a week of "COMBINED XI - LIVERPOOL AND UNITED - SANCHO OVER SALAH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!" from the boring press.
- Sky Sports Super Mega Grand Slam Sunday Sponsored By Gillette The Best A Man Can Get (tm) - Come and join the absolutely unscripted and non-agenda fuelled studio of Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Roy Keane and Special Guest (probably Michael Dawson, Leon Osman or some other vaguely memorable face) who will spend two hours talking about everything but the football! Don't expect to hear how well a team played or how good a goal was... it's all about TALKING POINTS and BANTER and CONTROVERSY and DRAMA - AND IT'S LIVE!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2023, 10:01:21 am »
Ive already fucked it off. Dont watch any of it anymore. Not even LFC games.

When I visit my aunt n uncle nr Dumfries, I pop over to Palmerston and watch the mighty QotS. Proper footie, community and pies. Like it all used to be.

Im getting old.

I don't think it's getting old.  Top-level footie has nothing to do with the game (its origins) anymore.

It's great going to see your local, lower league team. 

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2023, 10:03:04 am »
I would want 2 more (without Man U winning more) before we fuck it off

;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2023, 01:23:36 pm »

Liverpool are a European club, our fanbase cherish and value the concept of continental competition, and we have added to it immeasurably over the last 50 years or more. We aren't John Bull type little Englanders clinging on to the idea that English football is the be all and end all at the expense of anyone else, and we never have been.

Just because some of us think your utopian ESL idea is awful doesn't mean we want nothing but domestic football. We want Liverpool to be the cream of the crop both domestically and internationally, because both matter. Domestic football is where the traditions exist, where our old rivals and tribal opponents exist, and the continent is where our history has taken us. Both matter.

But to you one doesn't matter because you don't value the local over the continental, it's all about some grand project that suits your version of football. It's fine, your opinions are as valid and as stupid as mine or anyone elses, but you do seem to miss something quite often.

Your lack of understanding as to why some of us care about what Everton do was another clue in this. Liverpool are a club with local and traditional rivals, we aren't a project to stick your pan European ideas to and expect everyone to be as excited as you about it.
Excellent post. :thumbup

Joining pan-european leagues for our league football would remove clubs even further from the communities they are situated in, historically intertwined with, and meant to serve. And it would be the first step to 'franchising' clubs and relocating them at the whim of owners and Big Money
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2023, 09:15:21 pm »

The football you are talking about is dead. It was killed when Abramovich was let in, and now Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia are pissing on the corps.

Unfortunately, you have only 2 choices: Accept Liverpool Football Club competing in a pan-European league with all the other traditional big European clubs, or watch Man City and Newcastle competing for the Premier League and the Champions League title every year. There is no middle ground.

And I do respect the local rivalries (we also have them here), but in the big picture, the rivalry between LFC and Everton has as much meaning as the rivalry between Chelsea and Fulham ...

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2023, 10:07:47 pm »
I'd love for us to break away and watch any interest in that sham of a "competition" dwindle rapidly.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2023, 10:13:12 pm »
By the way, this is how the proposed Europen Super League (first two divisions) would roughly look like, without the English clubs:

Vienna - 51.000
Minsk - 22.000
Brussels - 50.000
Sofia - 44.000
Zagreb - 34.000
Prague - 20.000
Kopenhagen - 38.000
Helsinki - 36.000
Paris - 81.000
Marseille - 67.000
Lyon - 59.000
Lille - 50.000
Dortmund - 81.000
Munich - 75.000
Berlin - 74.000
Stuttgart - 60.000
Athens - 70.000
Budapest - 67.000
Dublin - 52.000
Tel Aviv - 30.000
Milan - 76.000
Rome - 71.000
Naples - 55.000
Turin - 42.000
Amsterdam - 56.000
Rotterdam - 51.000
Oslo - 27.000
Warsaw - 58.000
Lisbon - 65.000
Porto - 50.000
Bucharest - 56.000
Moscow - 81.000
St.Petersburg - 62.000
Glasgow - 61.000
Belgrade - 52.000
Bratislava - 23.000
Barcelona - 99.000
Madrid - 81.000
Sevilla - 61.000
Bilbao - 53.000
Stockholm - 54.000
Basel - 36.000
Istanbul - 75.000
Kiev - 70.000
Cardiff - 74.000

And please don't tell me that the fans in these countries will reject it. These fans are sick and tired of the likes of Bournemouth coming and bying their top players, just because they are in the Premier League, and have shitload of TV money ...

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2023, 10:15:09 pm »
How many away games do you go to Mac? How much do you spend on travelling to aways per season? How much do you expect ordinary working Liverpool fans to spend on all those aways? Will Nike cover the costs like they paid for Mbappe when we bought him?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:23:48 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2023, 10:15:54 pm »
Years ago I'd have been well against the idea of the ESL, but the Premier League is a complete joke.

IF the PGMOL isn't utterly corrupt then they are absolutely the worst officials I've seen in any league and at any level. When you watch lower league or even non league games, the referees show competence and an understanding of the game and you can see the decisions they make all make sense in the context of the game.

PGMOL officials are fucking rank at best, cheating fucking gobshites would probably be a fair assessment.

Doesn't matter who is playing, but the officials decide most games with their joke refereeing, bias, shady VAR decisions and absolute fucking incompetence/outright cheating.

I'd personally be delighted if we fucked off this shithouse league and formed a leage where football is king and not these dickheads.

When you add the outright, sanctioned cheating of City and their free pass with the media then this decision becomes a no-brainer.

Fuck it off. Cheating c*nts.
Been thinking this way for a while. I stopped watching other teams in the league a couple years ago when it started to look like the PL was rigging the league for Man City to win it every year... Allegedly, of course. It just doesn't feel like a fair fight anymore.

Football as a whole is fucked. When Messi goes to play in $audi Arabia that'll be another nail in football's coffin.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2023, 10:33:13 pm »
How many away games do you go to Mac? How much do you spend on travelling to aways per season? How much do you expect ordinary working Liverpool fans to spend on all those aways? Will Nike cover the costs like they paid for Mbappe when we bought him?

I used to go to our away games, when we were playing in Southern, Central or South-East Europe. I haven't been going the last few years, even before the pandemic, due to the high hospital bills, but before that I was spending one, sometimes even two monthly salaries on these trips.

This year, I will start attending our away games again, and I am praying that we will have some club from the region in our EL group. And no, I am not expecting for Nike to cover any of my expences ...

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2023, 10:35:27 pm »
I used to go to our away games, when we were playing in Southern, Central or South-East Europe. I haven't been going the last few years, even before the pandemic, due to the high hospital bills, but before that I was spending one, sometimes even two monthly salaries on these trips.

This year, I will start attending our away games again, and I am praying that we will have some club from the region in our EL group. And no, I am not expecting for Nike to cover any of my expences ...
Peter, my point wasn't to ask you about your actual away game history, and certainly not to judge you on your spending. No fan needs to spend a single penny to be a fan. All are welcome. You've also explained your personal situation before, very movingly, and I have every sympathy for you.

My point was to say that a Europe wide league will have a massive impact on fans  So how will you expect UK based fans - or indeed fans of the other clubs as well, some of which are poorer countries - to travel to all those aways?

The Nike quip was just a gentle reminder of your track record on predictions... ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:42:32 pm by Ghost Town »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2023, 10:41:48 pm »
So how will you expect UK based fans - or indeed fans of the other clubs as well, some of which are poorer countries - to travel to all those aways?

The Nike quip was just a gentle reminder of your track record on predictions... ;)

Well, the UK-based LFC fans will have the chance to watch in person all the home games, as well as the games against the clubs from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, without too much expence. And of course, France, Belgium and Holland are not that far either. So, the UK-based LFC fans will be in a pretty good position ...

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2023, 10:44:55 pm »
I’ve got to the point now where I watch hardly any football on the TV.   If we are on and I’m at home I’ll watch it  but I don’t go out of my way.   Would rather watch Halesowen Town

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2023, 10:49:17 pm »
Well, the UK-based LFC fans will have the chance to watch in person all the home games, as well as the games against the clubs from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, without too much expence. And of course, France, Belgium and Holland are not that far either. So, the UK-based LFC fans will be in a pretty good position ...
No, you're talking about massively changing the football experience. People who have gone to aways all their lives won't be able to manage it. The travelling kop will shrink. There'll be fewer Scouse and England-based fans at away matches, maybe none at all sometimes, due to costs and getting time off work etc.

And while fans are welcome from all over the world, this idea will serve to loosen and eventually endanger the ties between the club and the people of the community it is sited within. Not just Liverpool, every other club who takes part as well. A few seasons of that and the biggest clubs will be ripe to become 'franchises' that can be moved from their home cities and towns as the whims of owners and the money dictate.

At the very least think about these ramifications instead of just cheerleading for what would be change unlike anything football has ever seen before.

NOTE I edited my previous post to add some clarification in case I had not been clear initially. No intent to judge or look down upon you was intended and I apologise if it came across that way.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:53:16 pm by Ghost Town »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2023, 10:54:40 pm »
No, your talking about massively changing the football experience. People who have gone to aways all their lives won't be able to manage it. The travelling kop will shrink. There'll be fewer Scouse and England-based fans at away matches, maybe none at all sometimes, due to costs and getting time off work etc.

And while fans are welcome from all over the world, this idea will serve to loosen and eventually endanger the ties between the club and the people of the community it is sited within. Not just Liverpool, every other cloub who takes part as well.

At the very least think about these ramifications instead of just cheerleading for what would be change unlike anything football has ever seen before.

NOTE I edited my previous post to add some clarification in case I had not been clear initially. No intent to judge or look down upon you was intended and I apologise if it came across that way.

Mate, the football as we knew it is dead. Pretty soon, no one will bother going to the away games in a league that can only be won by 2 state owned clubs. The fans will turn to their local clubs in the lower leagues, while the LFC home games' crowd will be made mostly of tourists. The Premier League is broken, and it can't be fixed anymore ...

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2023, 11:37:44 pm »
By the way, this is how the proposed Europen Super League (first two divisions) would roughly look like, without the English clubs:

Based on your "no more than 4 per country" idea I notice that your plan leaves out Atletico Madrid (I assume it's them, it could be Real) and one of the Milan clubs. Both those clubs would be happy for it to proceed without them whilst Minsk, Dublin, Helsinki and others have a club in the top two divisions? In what aspect is this idea built on sporting competition? And in what aspect is this is a goer when you tell people that they won't be playing Real or Atletico, or one of the Milan clubs but will be playing Bohemians and HJK instead? You also have a dot on Cardiff, who play in the English league and therefore wouldn't have been invited, unless the powers that be have decided that the side 21st in the Engish second tier is a viable and necessary option and have asked them to leave.

And, what actually happens to the domestic leagues under this idea? Do they just exist without important clubs involved, or do they just disband? Either way, complete destruction of a century's worth of tradition and culture so that we can have a bizarre league that isn't based on sporting competition but on a desire to stick dots on as many parts of a map as you can.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:44:11 pm by Macc77 »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2023, 05:29:43 pm »
Based on your "no more than 4 per country" idea I notice that your plan leaves out Atletico Madrid (I assume it's them, it could be Real) and one of the Milan clubs. Both those clubs would be happy for it to proceed without them whilst Minsk, Dublin, Helsinki and others have a club in the top two divisions? In what aspect is this idea built on sporting competition? And in what aspect is this is a goer when you tell people that they won't be playing Real or Atletico, or one of the Milan clubs but will be playing Bohemians and HJK instead? You also have a dot on Cardiff, who play in the English league and therefore wouldn't have been invited, unless the powers that be have decided that the side 21st in the Engish second tier is a viable and necessary option and have asked them to leave.

And, what actually happens to the domestic leagues under this idea? Do they just exist without important clubs involved, or do they just disband? Either way, complete destruction of a century's worth of tradition and culture so that we can have a bizarre league that isn't based on sporting competition but on a desire to stick dots on as many parts of a map as you can.

This why I said "roughly". If you check my original post, I have not excluded Atletico Madrid and neither of Milan clubs:

As long as the state owned clubs are left out, I am 100% in favor of the European Super League. I would love to see it with 3 tiers and 72 clubs (maybe even 4 tiers and 96 clubs), promotion/relegation of 4 clubs between the tiers every season, no more than 4 clubs from one country and no more than 2 clubs from one city (so most of the European countries are involved), a professional refereeing organization with the best referees in the World, and of course, a fair distribution of the ESL revenues to all the involved clubs ...

With 3 or 4 tiers, it is very unlikely that the very top European clubs will play at first the likes of Bohemians and HJK, even though that wasn't such a bad experience in the European Cup, while it still existed. The first tier of the ESL at the beggining will most likely have clubs from England (if they join), Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal and Holland, with clubs from other countries qualifying in time as they grow.

The fair distribution of the ESL revenues will allow for the clubs with century's worth of footballing tradition to become strong once again, so we won't have the ridiculous scenario of Bournemouth outbidding AC Milan in the transfer market ever again.

As for Glasgow, Dublin and Cardiff, they will be specifically targeted by the ESL, if the English clubs don't join it. Maybe Belfast too, and certainly both clubs from Glasgow.

Domestic leagues will continue to exist, of course. They will have do decide if they still want to be owned by Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the likes, or they want to return to their century's worth of tradition and culture that no longer exists ...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2023, 05:40:55 pm »
Mate, the football as we knew it is dead. Pretty soon, no one will bother going to the away games in a league that can only be won by 2 state owned clubs. The fans will turn to their local clubs in the lower leagues, while the LFC home games' crowd will be made mostly of tourists. The Premier League is broken, and it can't be fixed anymore ...

Miles wide of the mark, its the tourists who will fuck off and it'll be the locals and English supporters who go the game. There's fellas been going decades at all clubs, they go home and away regardless of what they win, its in their blood. Newcastle have had average attendences of over 51,000 for years before the Saudis bought them, we've had obver 20,000 on our ST waiting list for over 20 years, I went on the list in 2003 and am still 3,000 from the front.

You really have no clue about Liverpool supporters.
Jurgen YNWA