Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3307186 times)

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #16240 on: April 2, 2017, 01:05:58 pm »
Haven't listened to the pink, I assume it's just Neil Atkinson delivering a full and frank apology for righting off Coutihno at every possible occasion to anyone who will listen, for the last 3 months.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16241 on: April 2, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »
Haven't listened to the pink, I assume it's just Neil Atkinson delivering a full and frank apology for righting off Coutihno at every possible occasion to anyone who will listen, for the last 3 months.

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #16242 on: April 2, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
You feed beef burgers to swans.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16243 on: April 2, 2017, 05:01:23 pm »
Oh that's on it's way, and plenty of it.

Deadly! I assume it was a bit more civilised because of the coup of getting Pako on board for it (which was great!)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16244 on: April 2, 2017, 05:17:31 pm »
That was so annoying and so disingenuous in the way he presented stats for his argument.

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16245 on: April 3, 2017, 10:41:59 am »

The Pink was fantastic I thought. To be fair Coutinho hasn't really been at this best, and if you choose to listen to a fan podcast, you will get opinions that will clash with your own. That's just the way the world is.

But loved listening to Pako. His thing about Matip at the end was insightful, such a small observation, but something that you can probably only get from professional football tacticians, which us fans won't understand or cannot fathom.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16246 on: April 3, 2017, 10:43:20 am »
The Friday show I know that moved to another platform, anyone know the name?
No time for caution.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16247 on: April 3, 2017, 10:49:31 am »
That was so annoying and so disingenuous in the way he presented stats for his argument.

I'm fine with Neil thinking Coutinho doesn't "do goals" enough for the front three but I'm not fine with him simultaneously thinking Firmino does when Coutinho's goal to minutes rate has been consistently better while they've both been at the club

Should add I really enjoyed Neil, Rob and Phil's discussion on the free pod last night.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2017, 01:46:44 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16248 on: April 3, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »
The Friday show I know that moved to another platform, anyone know the name?

It's 50/50 football.
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16249 on: April 3, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
I'm fine with Neil thinking Coutinho doesn't "do goals" enough for the front three but I'm not fine with him simultaneously thinking Firmino does when Coutinho's goal to minutes rate has been consistently better while they've both been at the club
The line that grated on me a little bit was the one implying Phil didn't show indication he can become 15 goals a season wide-forward because in his first season and a half he scored 5 goals each in the league, last season he scored 8 and this season before the injury he scored 5 goals in 10 games so there is a crystal clear upwards trajectory where he is showing all the necessary indication that he is getting better in front of the goal all the time and getting closer to that magical 15 goals range.

It's fine if he can't warm to the idea because maybe Phil is not enough of a physical presence upfront for him but then say so don't be disingenuous.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2017, 03:36:16 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16250 on: April 3, 2017, 08:52:44 pm »
I had the wrong one first time around too. They fixed it later on, if you go back and have another look it should be there.

Luis Garcia: Neil is a great presenter and contributor but not the best interviewer. Talked too much rather than letting LG tell his own story. Interrupted him a fair few times as well.
On this while I don't really enjoy interviewing I was very conscious we had a time/background noise issue and didn't want Garcia to feel like he had to hit all the usual beats.

Offline tmsneil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16251 on: April 3, 2017, 08:59:21 pm »
I don't think I have really presented stats for my argument other than his goal record. That's not really stats. Which remains a problem. Yes he was in great form earlier this season. Then he got injured. He hasn't been in great form since. This happens to footballers all the time and happens to Coutinho all the time. He has had a couple of purple patches and he struggles to come back from injuries. I am fine with this. It happens. But I don't think he has a game for the position he plays which allows him to play steadily for a few weeks, maybe grab one or two here and there. He's either flying or he isn't. This is my problem with where he is played. He's clearly a terrific footballer.

I think Firmino week in, week out, gives you absolutely loads regardless of how well he is playing (within reason) played through the middle in this Liverpool side. I think he should look to add some more goals to his game, but I very much agree with the recent (excellent) Paul Tomkins article he is an elite centre forward who just needs to score a few more whereas I'm not convinced Coutinho is actually a forward. I don't think any of this is particularly controversial, even if I am wrong.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #16252 on: April 3, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »
On this while I don't really enjoy interviewing I was very conscious we had a time/background noise issue and didn't want Garcia to feel like he had to hit all the usual beats.

You were great as always. Come on.

Offline tmsneil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16253 on: April 3, 2017, 09:04:49 pm »
You were great as always. Come on.
I thought it was good, but I often don't enjoy doing interviews in all seriousness. Which is fine. Not everything is for everyone.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16254 on: April 3, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
He has had a couple of purple patches and he struggles to come back from injuries.
I agree with your post but would just like to add one thing to your "he didn't show indication he can be a 15 league goals a season wide-forward".

Since Klopp took over since the Spurs game Coutinho scored 12 goals till his injury in 2389 PL minutes (that's 26.5 games worth of minutes) - that's a 1 in 2.5 games goals ratio you need to get to 15 league goals, so that's indication enough for me.

Also for what it's worth two more things as food for thought - our first goal in the derby, look at Phil's run once Mane beats Davies, it's a typical wide-forward run trying to get on the end of move, he doesn't make that a year ago. And the second thing there's a xG map around showing that Phil is taking up better positions to take shots away that are more in line with wide-forwards rather than attacking midfielders.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16255 on: April 3, 2017, 11:35:11 pm »
^ phil's scoring run for Brasil has been decent this last 12 months too. I'm sure it's 1 in 2 or close to that.

Although I think it was Rob that mentioned it, that those South American games are probably not as taxing or testing as most premier games.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #16256 on: April 4, 2017, 05:43:31 pm »
The Elvis Costello interview - great surprise that, well done for sorting, really interesting listen. Who's up for a bit of constructive criticism?

Sometimes during the interview felt like Elvis was getting cut off whilst Andy asked / interjected with another question or trying to agree with his reply. The questions you asked were interesting but I felt sometimes you elaborated on the point when it was definitely clear the first time, and in doing so interrupted Elvis Costello's flow. Whilst I appreciate that the ethos of the show is more of a chat than a formal question / answer session I felt you could have left a bit of room to breathe and the interview would have been just as good. I say this as someone who has been told many times that I'm guilty of the same thing (by my wife normally :D) so I get how it happens but reckon its something to work on. Just an opinion.

As usual the content and output is superb and its easily the best fiver I spend each month!

cheers all
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #16257 on: April 4, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »
The Elvis Costello interview - great surprise that, well done for sorting, really interesting listen. Who's up for a bit of constructive criticism?

Sometimes during the interview felt like Elvis was getting cut off whilst Andy asked / interjected with another question or trying to agree with his reply. The questions you asked were interesting but I felt sometimes you elaborated on the point when it was definitely clear the first time, and in doing so interrupted Elvis Costello's flow. Whilst I appreciate that the ethos of the show is more of a chat than a formal question / answer session I felt you could have left a bit of room to breathe and the interview would have been just as good. I say this as someone who has been told many times that I'm guilty of the same thing (by my wife normally :D) so I get how it happens but reckon its something to work on. Just an opinion.

As usual the content and output is superb and its easily the best fiver I spend each month!

cheers all

Nah, thats all fair.

Was just absolutely conscious of the fact I had 45 minutes of show to get into 31 minutes because of stage times and delays!
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #16258 on: April 4, 2017, 08:30:48 pm »
Any chance you could do a cup of tea show or something similar with Mel, talking about how all the local journalists co-ordinate releasing stories? So the 10:30pm embargo, and similarly whenever any big story breaks in the day all the local journo's publish/tweet at generally the same time.
I just think it would be interesting to have an idea of how it works.

Cheers
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #16259 on: April 4, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
Nah, thats all fair.

Was just absolutely conscious of the fact I had 45 minutes of show to get into 31 minutes because of stage times and delays!

Nice one mate, appreciate the time concern and trying to fit it all in! It's a minor point too, and I recognise a fellow rambler. Why use a concise sentence when three will do? 👍🏻😁
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16260 on: April 5, 2017, 09:49:36 am »
Any chance you could do a cup of tea show or something similar with Mel, talking about how all the local journalists co-ordinate releasing stories? So the 10:30pm embargo, and similarly whenever any big story breaks in the day all the local journo's publish/tweet at generally the same time.
I just think it would be interesting to have an idea of how it works.

Cheers

Or how she puts out a story saying Liverpool don't want a player they've been after for a year anyway hours before he signs for another club  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #16261 on: April 6, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »
Oh do we just delete anything thats critical of the Wrap or Neil?

Sound, just so I know. Cheers whoever that was.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16262 on: April 6, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
Ben Johnson is made for AFQ Football, best one yet by a mile.

Enjoyed Adam Smith on last night's Pink too.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16263 on: April 6, 2017, 05:18:50 pm »

What are you going on about? A post that was critical of TAW which Neil responded to remains in place, the only post that was deleted was your unhelpful response which was reported by a RAWK user with the comment "what a tit". Just so you know.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16264 on: April 6, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »
:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #16265 on: April 6, 2017, 05:41:19 pm »
What are you going on about? A post that was critical of TAW which Neil responded to remains in place, the only post that was deleted was your unhelpful response which was reported by a RAWK user with the comment "what a tit". Just so you know.

Someone genuinely went to the trouble of reporting that as unhelpful?

Deary me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #16266 on: April 8, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
Bit late to this but some unhealthy obsession with Mings on the Unwrapped show. Of course we can do better in that department in the transfer window but fuck me, since he came back in he has been nothing less than solid.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16267 on: April 8, 2017, 12:19:34 pm »
Someone genuinely went to the trouble of reporting that as unhelpful?

Deary me.

To be fair, I don't think typing "what a tit" would cause the poster in question too much trouble at all.  :P
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #16268 on: April 10, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »
To be fair, I don't think typing "what a tit" would cause the poster in question too much trouble at all.  :P

unhelpful

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #16269 on: April 10, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »
I really enjoyed this too.  While I agree with the criticism *in principle* - I do a bit of work with witnesses and it's definitely a learned skill to stay on open questions and allow a story to emerge itself - it made me laugh when the second half ditched the footy and turned into musings on the lost La's album instead.  It worked better the way you did it imo.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16270 on: April 12, 2017, 09:18:38 am »
The phone in

Is Malcolm from Edinburgh Darth Vader ?

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16271 on: April 12, 2017, 11:37:26 am »
 [adopts Uncle Bryn's voice] "and you can telephone a podcast!"

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #16272 on: April 14, 2017, 10:21:52 pm »
Enjoyed this weeks afq. Love the normal format but that was a nice change of pace.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16273 on: April 15, 2017, 04:44:11 am »
Had a busy couple of weeks so I must have missed this, but what happened to the Friday show? Didn't Neil say it was perhaps his favourite? Where's it gone :(?
:D

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16274 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:02 am »
Had a busy couple of weeks so I must have missed this, but what happened to the Friday show? Didn't Neil say it was perhaps his favourite? Where's it gone :(?
Still there but now called 50/50 Football. It's got its own podcast so not on TAW Player. Just search on iTunes - free.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16275 on: April 15, 2017, 07:07:26 am »
Enjoyed this weeks afq. Love the normal format but that was a nice change of pace.
Agree. I don't know whether that was due to the contributors or was actually an editorial decision to be more discussion based.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16276 on: April 15, 2017, 09:27:47 am »

I'm Spartacus!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16277 on: April 15, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »
Still there but now called 50/50 Football. It's got its own podcast so not on TAW Player. Just search on iTunes - free.

Cheers mate, I knew they were doing this but thought they'd keep it on TAW still.

Perhaps this needs to be promoted a bit more? My brother and I couldn't work out where it went and we listen to a fair few shows.
:D

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16278 on: April 17, 2017, 01:10:53 pm »
Great pink, cheers. Dan made a good point about the brutal nature of football against a Pulis team. And the tolerance of the refs have for it. No wonder England are shit at international football - it's a vastly different game to this.

I know it's something that all the teams have to deal with. But it's not football is it? Why is this shit tolerated by the refs? From letting a deliberate - cynical handball go (because it's early doors)  to penalizing our players - when they're being fucking assaulted.

It's impossible to pass a Pulis team off the park because they want to disrupt, foul (and they are happy to turn everything into a wrestling match because it seemed almost 50/50 they'd get the free kick anyway). or kick for touch - fucking anyone would struggle to play football against them. We were boss !!  And good shout for Mignolet having a great match and a good season.

Offline Brunswickred

• Main Stander
« Reply #16279 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:27 pm »
Just listened to the Phil Scraton special this afternoon and cannot recommend it highly enough. Props to Robbo for just letting him talk at length without interruptions, was full of fascinating insights and things that I'd not heard before. I know we say it all the time but this is TAW at it's best.

On a lighter note, I'm really enjoying Alphabet Soup as a format, some really interesting discussions on the last one especially. The Liverpool (City) centric topics are funny/enlightening in equal measures. Dan Austin the perfect host for it (think he's very, very good across all the shows he is on actually) and Rob/Mike/Paul all great fits for it. Overtaken AFQ for me as the best non-footie show.