Author Topic: Xbox Series X (Next-Gen Xbox) Holiday 2020 announced  (Read 1477 times)

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Xbox Series X (Next-Gen Xbox) Holiday 2020 announced
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:08 am »
Just revealed at TGA. Think the name and design are kinda awful to be honest, but the trailer for Hellblade 2 looks incredible.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qJWI4bkD9ZM&amp;feature=emb_title" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qJWI4bkD9ZM&amp;feature=emb_title</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWI4bkD9ZM

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:49:26 am by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xbox Series X (Next-Gen Xbox) Holiday 2020 announced
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:26:10 am »
Just revealed at TGA. Think the name and design are kinda awful to be honest, but the trailer for Hellblade 2 looks incredible.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qJWI4bkD9ZM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qJWI4bkD9ZM</a>
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:31:12 am »
Looks mad, on the fence about the design but I'm leaning towards liking it

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:43:51 am »
I am a PS4 guy and will be moving to PS5 - not through sheer loyalty to SONY mind but purely because this generation all the worthwhile exclusives have been PS4 and I have had a very good experience with SONY as a costumer so no need to change unless Microsoft bring some big stuff to the table.

HOWEVER I am a fan of what others seem to hate about this, the design. I think it's simple and clear and would fit in well in a house.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:44 am »
I am a PS4 guy and will be moving to PS5 - not through sheer loyalty to SONY mind but purely because this generation all the worthwhile exclusives have been PS4 and I have had a very good experience with SONY as a costumer so no need to change unless Microsoft bring some big stuff to the table.

HOWEVER I am a fan of what others seem to hate about this, the design. I think it's simple and clear and would fit in well in a house.

This is what I really like about it. Will look amazing on a shelf under a mounted TV. Very minimalist

Some of the features I've read sound great as well. The 8k 120fps is more marketing speak then a realistic aim. I'd expect 8k video output with 4k 120fps as a standard for 1st party games. The ability to hold several games so you can jump in and out without having to reload them is a great feature. Being able to use XCloud to play a game as it's installing on your system to get around the waiting times which have plagued this generation

I'm excited. Coupled with the new studios this could be a very exciting time. Tempted to pick up a PS4 after this comes out to play the games I've missed this gen but this is a day one for me

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:22:15 pm »
That name is shocking.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:51 am »
Not interested. I mean, it looks nice (I like the design of it) and no doubt it'll have all the lovely "FLOPs" and "native 4k" and all that bollocks, but honestly, it just comes across as more of the same. A vanilla milkshake. Not that I don't like vanilla milkshake, it's just bland. Bit of an odd time to drop a reveal too. Sony have already sold me more on what they are doing by building on what they have by the extension of their past systems into one ecosystem that all their past games, peripherals and VR will just work straight out of the gate. No need to buy new stuff right away. It'll just function.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:10:32 am »
This is what I really like about it. Will look amazing on a shelf under a mounted TV. Very minimalist

Some of the features I've read sound great as well. The 8k 120fps is more marketing speak then a realistic aim. I'd expect 8k video output with 4k 120fps as a standard for 1st party games. The ability to hold several games so you can jump in and out without having to reload them is a great feature. Being able to use XCloud to play a game as it's installing on your system to get around the waiting times which have plagued this generation

I'm excited. Coupled with the new studios this could be a very exciting time. Tempted to pick up a PS4 after this comes out to play the games I've missed this gen but this is a day one for me
These are exactly the reasons I'm looking forward to.it, it does look about as modern and cutting edge as it gets, I can already see it sat under the tv looking mean!
I'm just hoping there's a big push for VR with the X series, I'm a passionate sim racing fan so I'm hoping you can maybe use the Oculus set up with this (more than powerful enough) or the big M are keeping something even better under wraps.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 03:17:53 pm »
These are exactly the reasons I'm looking forward to.it, it does look about as modern and cutting edge as it gets, I can already see it sat under the tv looking mean!
I'm just hoping there's a big push for VR with the X series, I'm a passionate sim racing fan so I'm hoping you can maybe use the Oculus set up with this (more than powerful enough) or the big M are keeping something even better under wraps.
Can't see it happening. Phil Spencer has already said that they've no plans for VR on their system, plus if you're into sims, proper sims, the only one's the exist on console anyway are Assetto Corsa for it's handling and physics and maybe GT Sport in terms of online racing. Dirt Rally too, which is amazing in VR. Better off going PC for sim racing. At minimum, you'd think MS would allow something like the Quest to connect wirelessly or through the link cable, but then they'd need an api. to run it. Sony coming straight out and saying that PSVR will be a focus and supported directly is the thing that's made my mind up already. Plus Gran Turismo 7 and GT Sport should get proper full VR updates to them.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »
Can't see it happening. Phil Spencer has already said that they've no plans for VR on their system, plus if you're into sims, proper sims, the only one's the exist on console anyway are Assetto Corsa for it's handling and physics and maybe GT Sport in terms of online racing. Dirt Rally too, which is amazing in VR. Better off going PC for sim racing. At minimum, you'd think MS would allow something like the Quest to connect wirelessly or through the link cable, but then they'd need an api. to run it. Sony coming straight out and saying that PSVR will be a focus and supported directly is the thing that's made my mind up already. Plus Gran Turismo 7 and GT Sport should get proper full VR updates to them.
I think your probably right mate, my only hope is that they will allow 3rd party ppl like Occulus etc to develop for it without getting involved themselves as it's a huge and growing market that would be silly to ignore, maybe they realise there's no point in making there own VR kits when there are great ones out there such as the vive/Rift etc.
Worst case I'l dive over to PlayStation 5 as a proper GT in VR would be incredible especially as they may go down the Bluetooth route with the new headset. In fairness though I'm a big fan of Forza 7 and I've invested in a decent racing setup specifically for it that won't transfer over unfortunately.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 05:25:21 pm »
I think your probably right mate, my only hope is that they will allow 3rd party ppl like Occulus etc to develop for it without getting involved themselves as it's a huge and growing market that would be silly to ignore, maybe they realise there's no point in making there own VR kits when there are great ones out there such as the vive/Rift etc.
Worst case I'l dive over to PlayStation 5 as a proper GT in VR would be incredible especially as they may go down the Bluetooth route with the new headset. In fairness though I'm a big fan of Forza 7 and I've invested in a decent racing setup specifically for it that won't transfer over unfortunately.
They're doing the right thing for them. Not really what they think the market needs. MS need to just focus on getting the system and their games right. To have a focus on VR is beyond them, because they've proven in the past they can't juggle more than one thing at one time. They've to plant their feet and stick with their decisions, and after Kinect (which in itself was a decent piece of technology but severely underutilized and misused) they must feel like VR would be too much of a hurdle to convince Xbox users only to join in on. It's going to take veterans of the industry who know what they are doing to develop and promote VR properly, but Sony have pulled a blinder with it by making it compatible and removing some of the drawbacks like the breakout box straight away with their new system. That means that when they develop a new headset (which will likely be wifi and wireless) with new controllers, it has a knock on with the existing PSVR as being the entry level headset and will end up being dirt cheap. Just plug it in and it should go. The tracking and compatibility with new controllers remains to be seen how they'll integrate that, those two being the weakest thing about the PSVR, but the tech is moving at a rapid rate, so who knows what PSVR2 will end up being.

On the sim racing side of things, if PS5 manages to get GT Sport, Dirt 2, Project Cars 2, and some of the more hardcore sims like Assetto, Raceroom, or AMB2 on there with VR support, that'll be great. If you've an Xbox 1, I think Assetto Corsa is on that and should be dirt cheap. It's not a fully fleshed out game, but the driving aspect and the individual detail on the cars FFB and how they perform is second to none.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 11:55:58 am »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand already out of date #pcmasterrace

Someone had to do it

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 12:35:56 pm »
Such a terrible name for a console.

I know it hasn't been, but has this cycle of consoles seemed incredibly short to anyone else? I still regard my PS4 as a new piece of kit when in reality it's about to be replaced.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 01:23:36 pm »
Such a terrible name for a console.

I know it hasn't been, but has this cycle of consoles seemed incredibly short to anyone else? I still regard my PS4 as a new piece of kit when in reality it's about to be replaced.
It's a mouthful. Imagine someone with a lisp going to Game and asking for a Xbox Series X.

And yeah I get what you mean. Feels like the PS4 only came out 4/5 years ago and already they've got another one coming out.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 02:03:40 pm »
They've confirmed that Xbox is the moniker going forward with 'Series X' being the version name. I imagine they'll release a 'Series S' as a digital one which isn't as powerful as well for this release and then the next ones will be 'Series X (2024)' and so on. Like car models, Ford Focus (2019) and then Ford Focus (2023) and so and so on

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 07:58:28 am »
They're doing the right thing for them. Not really what they think the market needs. MS need to just focus on getting the system and their games right. To have a focus on VR is beyond them, because they've proven in the past they can't juggle more than one thing at one time. They've to plant their feet and stick with their decisions, and after Kinect (which in itself was a decent piece of technology but severely underutilized and misused) they must feel like VR would be too much of a hurdle to convince Xbox users only to join in on. It's going to take veterans of the industry who know what they are doing to develop and promote VR properly, but Sony have pulled a blinder with it by making it compatible and removing some of the drawbacks like the breakout box straight away with their new system. That means that when they develop a new headset (which will likely be wifi and wireless) with new controllers, it has a knock on with the existing PSVR as being the entry level headset and will end up being dirt cheap. Just plug it in and it should go. The tracking and compatibility with new controllers remains to be seen how they'll integrate that, those two being the weakest thing about the PSVR, but the tech is moving at a rapid rate, so who knows what PSVR2 will end up being.

On the sim racing side of things, if PS5 manages to get GT Sport, Dirt 2, Project Cars 2, and some of the more hardcore sims like Assetto, Raceroom, or AMB2 on there with VR support, that'll be great. If you've an Xbox 1, I think Assetto Corsa is on that and should be dirt cheap. It's not a fully fleshed out game, but the driving aspect and the individual detail on the cars FFB and how they perform is second to none.
I think it's going to be a case of waiting to see what gets drip fed to us over the coming months, I do agree that Microsoft got the fingers burnt with the Kinect, which was a very good piece of kit but criminally under developed for.
I had the ps4 pro with VR but found the cabeling/breakout box a pain on a 4k tv as the box did it output in 4K when you wanted to play normal games on your 4k screen so it was a faff unconnecting etc.
If the ps5 has everything that's being mooted I'l be jumping back over as the temptation of proper SIM racing in VR will be too much to resist, I'm holding off upgrading my thrustmaster TX100 setup for a fanatec until the new machines are out to see which way I'm going to go.
GT sport looks more complete than Forza 7 with a better community and I like the penalty system which again is lacking in Class racing on Forza.
I'm still hoping that Microsoft are going to throw the VR over to Occulus and say to everybody that tjere making the X series compatible with existing technologies as opposed to making there own in house system, which would make absaloute sense as occulus would have a massive customer base to pitch too, the X series could easily handle it too.
Good times are coming for the SIM racers among us mate :)