Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 147336 times)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #240 on: October 9, 2008, 01:46:06 pm »
Lovely images, but they're all 'shopped' to fuck.  In my opinion, that isn't strictly photography but makes for a good bunch of posters.

Isnt touching up photos something all photographers do?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #241 on: October 9, 2008, 02:07:50 pm »
Lovely images, but they're all 'shopped' to fuck.  In my opinion, that isn't strictly photography but makes for a good bunch of posters. 

Indeed. I guess it's crossing the line into art rather than being strictly photography. I am starting to tone down my processing, I guess its a case of realising when it works and when it doesnt.

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We write our own history
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2008, 08:02:38 pm »
Taken with a canon 400D No photoshop tricks, not my main camera but not a bad one for a first time digital slr user

2013/2014 My 51st year with hope in my heart

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2008, 11:51:47 pm »
very nice ted, seen that on flickr.. your flickr btw, not casting any aspersions there mate.
Yep.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2008, 12:57:59 am »
Indeed. I guess it's crossing the line into art rather than being strictly photography. I am starting to tone down my processing, I guess its a case of realising when it works and when it doesnt.

I think post processing is just a fact of life now. With programs like Photoshop so readily available and the competition around, photographers need to make their images perfect for them to be noticed.

The idea that you can buy a cheap SLR, snap a few shots and consider yourself a photographer gets on my nerves. There are so many teenagers now who are 'photographers' because its a trendy and 'original' thing to do.

I love your work though mate. Going to be getting myself a DSLR shortly - just need to work out my uni money first ;D Been using my girlfriend's 400D for months and love it so may well just get one of those. No doubt i'll be constantly in this thread asking for help :D

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:06 am »
very nice ted, seen that on flickr.. your flickr btw, not casting any aspersions there mate.
no probs hinesy

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:11 pm »
Usually look at sigma lenses - can't really afford to look at canon ones just yet! Perhaps I just misunderstood!

Shouldn't make any difference.  Sigma and Tamron both do lenses for Canon and Nikon.  Pretty much for every lens from Sigma and Tamron, there'll be a "Canon fit" and "Nikon fit".

Sigma do a version of the Cannon USM motors that they call HSM.  With Sigma, the better quality lenses are denoted by the term APO which means that the lenses have a special coating to improve the image quality.

Only thing to think about with Sigma and Tamron lenses, is that there have been reported problems like the camera body locking up or with the lens and body having auto-focusing problems.

That's not to knock the Sigma lenses - I have an old one ( 28-80mm ) bought with my first film SLR and it's fine except it makes clickling noises - but only because I dropped it onto a solid concrete floor the first week I got it.

I guess that http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php should really be a starting point for Cannon users.  That's really where you'll get notes of potential or known issues.

"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2008, 12:34:38 pm »
only one I can see is that its only 6mp, which could possibly pose a problem if your wanting to sell large prints of your photos. Apart from that it looks a good one to start with and a very decent price.

£100 more though will get you a D60: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D60-Digital-SLR-Camera/dp/B00131Z1GS/ref=pd_cp_ce_2?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KIX65S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MDK7T8XD26KDYGAH50M

Also appears that the extra £100 will get you a better lens as well as the extra 4 megapixels.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2008, 12:49:14 pm »
Lets be perfectly honest here, unless its for work, most of us don't need the top most lens just as we don't need the very fastest computers etc etc.

I love taking photos, and do very little photoshop to tart them up, but do use it to remove dust, shite and neds in the background with their arse out..

I've got a Sigma 105mm fixed lens with I use for macro stuff, 1:2 and its fantastic and was £299 but that's a treat for me..

As you say about amateur photographers, there is a big difference between professional needs and an enjoyable hobby.

I'd get a 2nd hand Nikon or Canon DSLR and a couple of good lens (18-55 and 70-200 kind of thing) and that's all you really need unless you want to blow them up to billboard size or have a deadline in the Sunday Mail.
Yep.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2008, 01:04:33 pm »
For an amateur starting out, second had is defintely a good way to do.  Get a good quality body and lens.  Warranty is the only issue, but may be able to pick up an insurance policy if you buy your 2nd hand kit from somewhere like Jessops.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline ds2190

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2008, 01:18:23 pm »
Right, Canon 1000D or 450D?

My girlfriend can give me one of her spare lenses so I only need a body only kit. Have found the 450D for £404 with £50 cashback and I can do it on finance with no interest in the first year - will have it paid off in 3-4 months but it just gives me a bit more money to play with to get accessories, etc.

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2008, 03:41:14 pm »
Lets be perfectly honest here, unless its for work, most of us don't need the top most lens just as we don't need the very fastest computers etc etc.

I love taking photos, and do very little photoshop to tart them up, but do use it to remove dust, shite and neds in the background with their arse out..

I've got a Sigma 105mm fixed lens with I use for macro stuff, 1:2 and its fantastic and was £299 but that's a treat for me..

As you say about amateur photographers, there is a big difference between professional needs and an enjoyable hobby.

I'd get a 2nd hand Nikon or Canon DSLR and a couple of good lens (18-55 and 70-200 kind of thing) and that's all you really need unless you want to blow them up to billboard size or have a deadline in the Sunday Mail.
Thats all the info he needs, follow this advice and you wont go far wrong.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2008, 04:31:38 pm »
Right, Canon 1000D or 450D?

My girlfriend can give me one of her spare lenses so I only need a body only kit. Have found the 450D for £404 with £50 cashback and I can do it on finance with no interest in the first year - will have it paid off in 3-4 months but it just gives me a bit more money to play with to get accessories, etc.

450D is a better bet, if you want live view, higher mp count aswell....

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2008, 10:08:18 pm »
Thinking of purchasing a Canon EOS 40d... but wondering if there are better alternatives in the market, ie. the Nikon D90.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2008, 10:28:17 pm »
better for what? You'd never notice the difference at our level unless you're a professional..
Yep.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2008, 02:10:15 pm »
better for what? You'd never notice the difference at our level unless you're a professional..

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do photography a-level and i'd like a good mid-priced dslr that could help me achieve the best quality images possible.

Been looking at the 40d a lot, but i've heard the kit lenses on Canons aren't all that great and Nikon lenses are better to start with...

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »
Sure, I know what you mean mate. But I take a lot of photos and blow them up to large canvas sizes and I'm using a 2005 D70 Nikon and its just fine for that. What I meant was, neither will make a great difference to you, and both will suit your needs perfectly so get the cheapest or, try and hold them and see how they feel in your hand and go with your instinct. That's all. Both are just as good really. I happen to prefer Nikon but for no other reason than I bought a Nikon.
Yep.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2008, 03:10:03 pm »
Okay thanks for the heads up, I'll probably go and have a look this weekend.

I used my mate's Canon 5D the other day (he got it from his dad who's a prof. photographer luckily) and it was very, very nice to use. Love the circular dial on the back too.

I've also used my Uncle's 30D which was similar too.

Have not used a Nikon but I will still try them out, thanks.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
some of the 2nd hand better Nikon's have the two circular wheels for full manual operation which is a good idea, you should try and get a 2nd hand D70s, great camera.
Yep.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2008, 04:28:55 pm »
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do photography a-level and i'd like a good mid-priced dslr that could help me achieve the best quality images possible.

Been looking at the 40d a lot, but i've heard the kit lenses on Canons aren't all that great and Nikon lenses are better to start with...

Nowt wrong with the kit lenses.  Both Cannon and Nikon do decent kit lenses.  EF-s 18-55 (the new one is supposed to be decent.  I have the 40D with EF-S 17-85 kit lens.  It's a good general purpose lens.

Obviously everyone makes a dud or two and it's simply a case of finding which model isn't that good.   The Canon kits normally come in 2 or more flavours so you can choose which lens you want.  If you go with a 40D, then the EF-S17-85 is a good option.

Thread about the 17-85 http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144177&highlight=17-85

Canon lens forum http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2008, 04:33:05 pm »
Nowt wrong with the kit lenses.  Both Cannon and Nikon do decent kit lenses.  EF-s 18-55 (the new one is supposed to be decent.  I have the 40D with EF-S 17-85 kit lens.  It's a good general purpose lens.

Obviously everyone makes a dud or two and it's simply a case of finding which model isn't that good.   The Canon kits normally come in 2 or more flavours so you can choose which lens you want.  If you go with a 40D, then the EF-S17-85 is a good option.

Thread about the 17-85 http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144177&highlight=17-85

Canon lens forum http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Yes, the one i was looking at was the 17-85 kit lens.

What's the image quality like with it?

Offline ds2190

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2008, 04:43:33 pm »

The 40D is far, far above what you'll need for A Level. Obviously you want a decent camera but something like the 1000D would probably still be better than you'll actually need for an A Level course.

What else would you be using it for apart from your school work and casual photography? I'd personally prefer a good entry-level SLR and then spend the money I saved on accessories.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2008, 04:57:56 pm »
Yes, the one i was looking at was the 17-85 kit lens.

What's the image quality like with it?

The quality is good and that link I posted to the 17-85 thread has some good examples.

I forgot to add that the 17-85 is a image stabilised (IS) lens which means low-light hand-held shots are not too difficult.

The lens on it's own is typically £400+.  As part of the kit, you'll only end up paying £150 or so on top of the camera, saving over £250.

Once you really get going, you'll probably want to start looking at primes (fixed length) or even L lenses.  But that's a long way off and not worth worrying about too much.  All I would add on that point, is that Canon do a really good range of lenses at all focal lengths, speeds and prices.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2008, 05:04:33 pm »
The 40D is far, far above what you'll need for A Level. Obviously you want a decent camera but something like the 1000D would probably still be better than you'll actually need for an A Level course.

What else would you be using it for apart from your school work and casual photography? I'd personally prefer a good entry-level SLR and then spend the money I saved on accessories.

The thing to watch for is handling.  I found the 400D too small and uncomfortable, even though I don't have large hands.  Added to that is that the 40D is a magnesium alloy frame and very sturdy.  The 50D is now out and the 40D is dropping in price every week.

In terms of lenses, I do find that the less money I have to blow, the better my kit lens gets.  They must have built a wallet thickness sensor into the lens because the more I use it/less money I have, the better my pictures get.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:40 am »
Canon 40D currently has a £60 cashback/rebate.  Once you buy the camera, apply to Canon directly and the £60 can be put towards a nifty fifty (EF 50mm F1.8) which can be picked up brand new for under £70.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »
Guys, got a little speck on most of my pics. I have a 400D and guess it is a little bit of dust or dirt. Whats the best way to clear it ?

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2008, 06:06:08 pm »
Guys, got a little speck on most of my pics. I have a 400D and guess it is a little bit of dust or dirt. Whats the best way to clear it ?

Clone stamp it way with a nearby sample in Photoshop - Elements has this too.
Or clean your sensor, if you're sure the dirt isn't on the back of the lens.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2008, 06:18:22 pm »
Loads of info about cleaning the sensor:  http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
Right, I think I am going to take the plunge into the SLR world. As an amateur, I don't know a lot about them but been looking around, read this thread and 3 have caught my eye, looking to spend between £300-400, would consider buying second hand as well.

The 3 that caught me eye were,
Cannon 1000D http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75075/Show.html?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=481&ManIds=1159,&SortBy=SkuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=y
Cannon 400D http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000IKVOE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197382138&sr=1-1
and Nikon D60 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D60-Digital-SLR-Camera/dp/B00131Z1GS/ref=pd_cp_ce_2?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KIX65S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MDK7T8XD26KDYGAH50M

I think all 3 come with a lens kit and reading the details, they all seem to have the similar features, I don't know anything about lenses, would the one's that come with them be suitable for an amateur like me, although I hope I get the bite and get addicted to photography.

I take it the 3 I posted are decent enough, I'd welcome people's opinions on the best one though, as I'm torn.

Also I would want to get a tripod and memory cards, where's the best/cheapest place for these, maybe I'm best off buying a camera with this kit added.

EDIT just found this which I might stretch my budget to, Cannon 450D http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1024467 although again, I would need a tripod, what's the going rate for an entry level one?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:42:22 pm by alex. »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »
I have the predecessor of the D60, the D40. Fantastic camera at the price, with one potential problem: there is no autofocus motor built into the body, so you can only use lenses with built-in motors (if you want AF). This precludes cheaper third-party lenses, like Sigma.

Still, a lot of people will tell you their lenses are utter shite, and you should only use original Nikon, anyway.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:57 pm »
I'm opting for the 450D, just need to find a decent and cheap photo printer now (A3+)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:14 pm »
any opinions on the 50D? Looks a nice step between entry level and professional?

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2008, 11:56:48 am »
any opinions on the 50D? Looks a nice step between entry level and professional?

Noise is supposed to not be very good on the 50D in low light situations - supposedly as a result of trying to cram too many pixels onto the sensor.  The 40D can be had at decent prices if you're not bothered about movie mode and 15mp.  10mp on the 40D (or 12mp on the 450D) is more than sufficient.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »
Noise is supposed to not be very good on the 50D in low light situations - supposedly as a result of trying to cram too many pixels onto the sensor.  The 40D can be had at decent prices if you're not bothered about movie mode and 15mp.  10mp on the 40D (or 12mp on the 450D) is more than sufficient.

Yeah I had read that. I have a 350d at the moment, which is sufficient for what I'm doing just now, but I'm looking to move onwards and upwards in terms of lenses & body. The more I use it the more uncomfortable the small body is to hold. The MP of the 350D is starting to limit me too in terms of how big I can print. The 5D mkII looks 'slightly' too pricey for me just now and I don't see much point in getting the outgoing 5D so the new 50D looked like a good solution, although it's still not a full frame sensor. So maybe I should look at saving a bit more and making a bigger step?

Perhaps I'll stick with what I have and invest in the glass instead!

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2008, 01:15:40 pm »
Yeah I had read that. I have a 350d at the moment, which is sufficient for what I'm doing just now, but I'm looking to move onwards and upwards in terms of lenses & body. The more I use it the more uncomfortable the small body is to hold. The MP of the 350D is starting to limit me too in terms of how big I can print. The 5D mkII looks 'slightly' too pricey for me just now and I don't see much point in getting the outgoing 5D so the new 50D looked like a good solution, although it's still not a full frame sensor. So maybe I should look at saving a bit more and making a bigger step?

Perhaps I'll stick with what I have and invest in the glass instead!

Until you can afford a full frame 5D or 5DmkII, I reckon better glass is the way to go.  The glass will always last you longer than the body because of the continuous desire to upgrade to more megapixels and more features on the body.

I have a 40D and if you're looking to upgrade from the 350D, I'd say the 40D is a very good piece of kit.  I know that people panned it on the forums because of the dreaded Err99, but every camera seems to get that treatment and the 50D is getting the same for the noise aspect, the 1Dmk3 got panned  (quite rightly) because of focus issues, etc.

The thing with complaints is that only those people with problems post on forums, not the hundreds of thousands that are happy with their kit.

As I said, the 40D is a seriously good piece of kit.
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: December 6, 2008, 03:41:14 pm »
Hi guys - after some buying advice please.

Have ordered a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens from Jacobs Digital online.  It was in stock on their website, but I got an email saying it's on back order!!!!

Off to Australia on Christmas Day, so it's imperative I get me this lens before I go.

Anyone recommend where else I could pick this lens up if I cancel my order with Jacobs???

Ps - the Fcukers charged my Credit Card before emailing that it wasn't in stock
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 6, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
Canon 70-200mm F4L is want you want intead of that

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: December 6, 2008, 10:30:08 pm »
I'd love that Lens, but at 3 times as much as the EF-S 55-250, and the fact I'm a total noob to DSLR, I really can't justify it!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:49 pm »
Ok..it's Mrs Beef's birthday on the 1st March and I'm going to get her a new SLR camera, as she's very in to photography and the camera she has now is very old. After narrowing it down I'm planning to buy the Canon 450D.. as it seems to have a good amount of features but then doesnt seem toooo advanced for an amature photographer like the 40d or 50d (which cost silly money too!). Question is just... is the 450D a good choice? any horror stories? anyone want to change my mind? There are some people on the earlier page saying to get the 400D instead and spend more on the lens I notice? My problem is I dont know or understand shit about photography so dont really know much about lenses..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:32:47 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline ds2190

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »
Ok..it's Mrs Beef's birthday on the 1st March and I'm going to get her a new SLR camera, as she's very in to photography and the camera she has now is very old. After narrowing it down I'm planning to buy the Canon 450D.. as it seems to have a good amount of features but then doesnt seem toooo advanced for an amature photographer like the 40d or 50d (which cost silly money too!). Question is just... is the 450D a good choice? any horror stories? anyone want to change my mind? There are some people on the earlier page saying to get the 400D instead and spend more on the lens I notice? My problem is I dont know or understand shit about photography so dont really know much about lenses..

400Ds are now virtually impossible to get hold of unless you buy a refurbished one, but then you have no warranty. 450D is a decent camera.

I ended up buying a 1000D a month or so ago - its the most basic model they do and that is absolutely fine. No doubt people will criticise but it is just something I do with my girlfriend and I thought it was best to get my own camera as I always take hers and she ends up not being able to get any pictures ;D