Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager  (Read 150698 times)

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
Re: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager
« Reply #1120 on: October 5, 2015, 12:33:48 am »
I said I thought Rodgers deserved 10 games, but if I'm honest, I don't think we would have seen much improvement. He is a very bright young manager, but he is still learning how to implement his ideas with consistency. I reckon he'll be back at a big club in five to ten years, once he learns how to get consistency from his players while competing on multiple fronts with limited training time. Rodgers produced beautiful football for the supporters with a week to prepare for each match and a mostly fit squad. Doing it with only two or three days to train between games and injuries to key players, however, requires a more highly developed skill set. I don't think Rodgers is quite there yet. Many very seasoned managers have succumbed to those difficulties, let alone one at his first big club. This job just came a decade too early for him in my opinion.

Best of luck to Brendan.       

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1121 on: October 5, 2015, 12:38:46 am »
Thank you Brendan, 2013/14 was majestic, you took on something bigger than you'd ever had to do and almost pulled it off. I won't get too upset for you as you've been handsomely rewarded and you've done enough to get another job. Maybe you'll get the chance to prove us wrong at another club but, given where we were in the summer, the money spent and the feeling we were going nowhere, there was no choice really. I'm sure you understand, its what you did with players where you felt things could be improved. Hope you had a good time.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1122 on: October 5, 2015, 12:48:18 am »
The poor signings have swung the axe on his job at LFC.

I liked the guy, I really did. He had the aurora of a proper Liverpool manager.

13/14 was a special year even if we didn't get the trophy at the end.

I'd love to have Klopp take over but I think the existence of the transfer committee needs to come under question regardless of who we bring in.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #1123 on: October 5, 2015, 12:50:05 am »
I know that his position has been untenable but that was sudden. :o
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #1124 on: October 5, 2015, 12:54:05 am »
He didn't though. That's the point. He fucked it.

Jesus. I assume you're fucking awesome at what you do.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rodgers sacked
« Reply #1125 on: October 5, 2015, 12:56:34 am »
Should of done it in the summer.

Fuck sake. This is what I mean, yes he hasn't done enough but just use your fucking brain, why not in the summer!

Yes.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1126 on: October 5, 2015, 12:56:48 am »
He didn't though. That's the point. He fucked it.

He may well have gone for the draw at half time if Gerrard doesn't slip, but you can't go for a draw when you are losing.

Quite the shithouse comment as well.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: October 5, 2015, 12:59:07 am »
found him increasingly dislikable as the years went by, i wont judge him on account of his personal life, from the outside looking in, but it doesnt make for a convincing argument of him having "great character" (sorry, couldnt resist)

football wise im all for it, his teams have looked disjointed for over a year, i dont like how he treated Agger, Sterling nor Gerrard, he seemed incapable of settling his defense and worst of all he bought Borini, Aspas, Lambert and Balotelli yet didnt trust any of them, even resorted to playing Sterling up front.

hope it works out for him somewhere else

You know what, try resisting. Talk of his personal life was absolutely ridiculous when he was our manager, and it's certainly not warranted now either.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1128 on: October 5, 2015, 01:00:31 am »
And so we move on to the fourth manager of FSG's tenure in a little over 5 years. The previous four stretching back to Souness covered a period of 19 years. I think before they go appointing managers FSG need to take a look at themselves and ask what it is that might be causing this endless rebuilding. If they really are about winning and trophies then they have to go out and prove it. No more experiments, no more moneyball or fucking analysis, and fuck signing young players with a view on the potential profit first rather than whether or not they can help us to win trophies. Time to rewrite the script.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: October 5, 2015, 01:02:01 am »
He quite simply just ran out of ideas. There was nothing in our play that suggested we would turn things around any time soon.

FSG have done well to take decisive action, would have been a difficult decision when they'd backed him in the summer. But with the likes of Klopp and Ancelotti available, and with us somehow still in the race for fourth - it was the right timing by them.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #1130 on: October 5, 2015, 01:03:42 am »
He may well have gone for the draw at half time if Gerrard doesn't slip, but you can't go for a draw when you are losing.

And that's what's basically become of our fanbase.

Sad to see him go, ultimately I think he's hit a wall. Reckon he should have been given at least the season but the pressure was on. Find it odd that he was sacked after a draw against a decent Everton side. Probably says more about the owners than Rodgers now.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: October 5, 2015, 01:04:18 am »
And so we move on to the fourth manager of FSG's tenure in a little over 5 years. The previous four stretching back to Souness covered a period of 19 years. I think before they go appointing managers FSG need to take a look at themselves and ask what it is that might be causing this endless rebuilding. If they really are about winning and trophies then they have to go out and prove it. No more experiments, no more moneyball or fucking analysis, and fuck signing young players with a view on the potential profit first rather than whether or not they can help us to win trophies. Time to rewrite the script.

This again?

- Hodgson was awful and simply had to be removed.
- Kenny wasn't a long-term option but after his very successful caretaker period he had to be given the opportunity.
- Brendan has been given a lot of patience and backing but it just didn't work out (I realise some disagree here).
- The 4th manager hasn't even arrived yet and could easily be around for the next decade.

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #1132 on: October 5, 2015, 01:05:00 am »
Geez I thought they'd give him a couple more weeks, but something certainly had to change - whether under Rodgers with a different approach, or a different manager. 

Thank you for some glorious football Mr Rodgers, best season in a long long time! Good luck with your next job.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #1133 on: October 5, 2015, 01:05:51 am »
I have nothing against Brendan, nothing at all. He made me dream again, allowed me to remember what it was like to be a little child full of awe and wonder. Sure, it was Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard as well but in the same way he no longer deserved the job for what's gone on, he deserves credit for what's gone on before.

My only gripe is that it's too late. Why now? Why spend all that money on all those players when we were clearly waiting for him to fuck up and let him go? Why not just let him depart after the Stoke hammering and move on without all this drama, without all this shit? I don't get it. I really don't get it.

Bye, Brendan. It was a tale of two halves. When I'm old and grey and I'm sitting there with my grandkids, it'll be the better half I tell them about. Thanks for everything.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: October 5, 2015, 01:07:09 am »
Sad montage of MOTD2.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: October 5, 2015, 01:07:48 am »
Thanks for all the good times Brendan. You made it feel magical again and it's a shame you just fell short. All the best.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: October 5, 2015, 01:09:01 am »
Geez I thought they'd give him a couple more weeks, but something certainly had to change - whether under Rodgers with a different approach, or a different manager. 

Thank you for some glorious football Mr Rodgers, best season in a long long time! Good luck with your next job.

International break now, if they're going to do it (post-summer) this is the time.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1137 on: October 5, 2015, 01:14:59 am »
This again?

- Kenny wasn't a long-term option but after his very successful caretaker period he had to be given the opportunity.
- Brendan has been given a lot of patience and backing but it just didn't work out (I realise some disagree here).
- The 4th manager hasn't even arrived yet and could easily be around for the next decade.

Yes, this again. I'm sorry but FSG have made some questionable decisions during their ownership of the club. I'm sorry if it's not convenient or politically correct to question the motives of the owners but if they are going to be custodians of the club then they have to answer the questions. I really hope that the next manager builds a dynasty, I really do. But then I thought that about Brendan Rodgers after 13/14. It's not like I've spent the past 40 years supporting Liverpool wishing anyone to fail. I just question what it is that these owners want from the club. Thierry Henry was spot on after the Arsenal match, commenting that they are good at living off Liverpool the brand, but not quite as good at keeping them competitive. I want Liverpool to be the best team in the fucking world, dominating the game as in days gone by. I just need FSG to prove that they feel the same way. Now would be a good time to show it.

Offline Ziggy09

• Kopite
  • No Retreat, No Surrender
    • KZFLP - Health & Skincare
« Reply #1138 on: October 5, 2015, 01:16:19 am »
Thought he had it coming but surprised it happened now - thought FSG would give him more time  especially as they gave him the summer transfer window. Theyve suddenly lost patience - I wonder what prompted it?

As for Rogers, he was respectful and he tried hard but it wasnt to be. Not sure he leaves the first XI in a better or worse state (probably better in terms of being able to score but much worse in defence). In the end, his teams looked and played confused football. He just seemed to ditch his beliefs and the players he played never fitted the system he was trying to play - not sure if that was his fault or the fault of having a transfer committee buying your players?

Now Klopp or Ancellotti? Hmmmm - both have very good records and experience of winning leagues/cups/in Europe. Klopp just looks like hed be mental and it could be one hell of a ride! I'd definitely start listening to the manager's conferences again!!

Ancellotti brings experience of managing big clubs in 4 different countries. His record at Milan should have been much better for the team he had in the 2000s should have won the league many times. But he has won big ears 3 times and theres something nice about the only men to have won it that many times both having managed Liverpool!! (And Id just about forgive him of he beat Bob's record while he was managing us!!)

I reckon this is probably the most important managerial decision the club has  had to make in the modern era. We are at a crossroads - trying to stay with moneybags clubs or getting dragged into midtable ding dongs with the spuds and like - which sadly is where we have been heading. Failing again and having to restart AGAIN will really set us back if this new manager cant get us back into the top 4 regularly again and so its crucial FSG get it right.

So I hope its either Klopp or Ancellotti. I believe both could do it. I dont think FSG can or will want to get anyone who is currently employed and De Boer is too much of a risk for me so I really really hope its one of these two and not another gamble on an unproven, young manager who talks about entertaining football but delivers confusion.

« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 01:19:52 am by Ziggy09 »
Roll up you sleeves and start to dance boys, for happiness is rare in a poor man's life!

Dedication. Determination. Perfection.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: October 5, 2015, 01:16:34 am »
International break now, if they're going to do it (post-summer) this is the time.

Another international break coming up in November; clearly the belief that Rodgers could turn things around declined, while the realisation that we're actually still in the hunt in the league prompted a reappraisal. From a couple of journalist points, it seems that Rodgers has partly talked himself into it in recent weeks with the 'rebuilding'comments.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: October 5, 2015, 01:16:35 am »

Not to mention the draw isn't enough when looking at the final table...ah well

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: October 5, 2015, 01:21:48 am »
Yes, this again. I'm sorry but FSG have made some questionable decisions during their ownership of the club. I'm sorry if it's not convenient or politically correct to question the motives of the owners but if they are going to be custodians of the club then they have to answer the questions. I really hope that the next manager builds a dynasty, I really do. But then I thought that about Brendan Rodgers after 13/14. It's not like I've spent the past 40 years supporting Liverpool wishing anyone to fail. I just question what it is that these owners want from the club. Thierry Henry was spot on after the Arsenal match, commenting that they are good at living off Liverpool the brand, but not quite as good at keeping them competitive. I want Liverpool to be the best team in the fucking world, dominating the game as in days gone by. I just need FSG to prove that they feel the same way. Now would be a good time to show it.

I wasn't disagreeing with your sentiment (and I'm not necessarily agreeing with it either), I just disagree with that nonsensical stat being used out of context all over the board as a stick to beat the owners with.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: October 5, 2015, 01:22:20 am »
Brendan shot himself on the foot by terrible track record in his transfers, not to mention playing the very same footballers he requested out of their positions.

Not hiring Klopp in the summer and giving the transfer budget probably cost us this season already, unless we manage to stay close and come with solid squad additions in January.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: October 5, 2015, 01:25:23 am »
Not really unhappy to see Brendan go. He's had an amazing opportunity with us and after spending a fair wad of cash we have nothing to show for it. I'm not just talking silverware, I'm talking about a style or a system.

I think he's great at the theory of football but not the execution.

All the best.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1144 on: October 5, 2015, 01:25:34 am »
well, you will never know unless you keep sticking with him, obviously. You look at how well the team is performing and make a calculated decision. By your logic, we could have turned it round to win the league and then the champions league next season. How the fuck will we know he couldn't have done that?

Do you think he could have turned it around? I don't. And many others don't either. So back to my question which you unsurprisingly managed to avoid. How long would you have given him, if the results and form stayed as they had been. Drawing to the likes of Sion and Carlisle with players more expensive than the whole of their club. Where do you draw a line and say, look this isn't on, you tried but it's just not good enough.

Love the comment about my "dirge" though. When I'm pretty sure you haven't a clue about most of my posts apart from the last few, and when you hardly post anything constructive either.

my dad can fight your dad......

You're right about one thing; I don't have a clue about any of your posts.

Gobshitery of the highest order regarding a young, determined coach, who should have had the backing of this club's gobshite owners until, at least, Christmas, having given him the opportunity to spend a shed load of dough. To then pull the fucking rug from under him after 7 games is a fucking joke. You prattle on about having given him enough time, toeing the party fucking line and expect us all to fall in? Get to fuck
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #1145 on: October 5, 2015, 01:26:15 am »
I've just seen the news. Fuck me, I didn't expect that.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: October 5, 2015, 01:28:59 am »
Brendan shot himself on the foot by terrible track record in his transfers, not to mention playing the very same footballers he requested out of their positions.

Not hiring Klopp in the summer and giving the transfer budget probably cost us this season already, unless we manage to stay close and come with solid squad additions in January.
Bringing in a top class manager to work with what we've already got should see us be able to to at least salvage something from this season considering we're still in all comps and it's early on.  A top class manager should be able to work with and get the best out of what he's got.  Not that I wouldn't give him a lot of time if it started out a struggle, because I would.  Can't speak for others though.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1147 on: October 5, 2015, 01:30:15 am »
I don't see the timing as a kneejerk reaction, but its hard not to see it as opportunistic.  Other clubs are struggling so despite poor results we are far from being a lost cause, and I am sure Maureen's meltdown and the availability of replacements won't have gone unnoticed.  Dick's resignation and dodging the 'first managerial exit of the season' mantle might even be considered as something of a 'bonus' in some quarters.  Add in the international break and I can understand how the timing might be seen as making sense, although this surely has to be dependent on more than having the job advert drafted to put into the Echo classifieds on Monday.

Carra spoke about player decisions and said that not all the problems can be attributed to Brendan and  I am guessing that FSG have some sympathy with the situation we were left in last season which is why they backed him with cash in the summer.  I've no idea, and even less interest, in where we are with 'net spend' but from what I gather there was money left in the kitty  which would give the new man something to start with in January.  Until then, and subject to current injuries, there is considerable depth in the squad - enough I hope to give a talented manager the tools to get through the tricky run to Christmas and still be in touching distance of the Top 4.

I still don't know what to think really, its one thing to change the manager but unless some of the other structures are reviewed we run the risk of setting a similar cycle in motion.  Football is a business of course, it would be naive to pretend otherwise, but if business decisions are hampering the manager there is only so much face cream, donuts and shitty shirts can do to re-address the balance.

I am loathed to think that the Blueshite might think that they had any hand in it and look forward to the new boss dishing out the twatting they deserve in February.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: October 5, 2015, 01:35:03 am »
Another international break coming up in November; clearly the belief that Rodgers could turn things around declined, while the realisation that we're actually still in the hunt in the league prompted a reappraisal. From a couple of journalist points, it seems that Rodgers has partly talked himself into it in recent weeks with the 'rebuilding'comments.
That's actually the thing that tipped me over the edge with him and the point where he completely lost my trust. For all the valid arguments about how little interviews and press conferences should matter, when your manager is talking about rebuilding after spending £292m in three years, then you really have to ask the question whether he's fit for the role anymore.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: October 5, 2015, 01:36:06 am »
You know what, this was the right decision. Hell, I've called for this decision for a few weeks now. And yet, I feel sad that he is gone. I can't quite explain that, but I'm sad that he's gone, and I'm shocked at how swiftly it was done. Best of luck Brendan in all your future endeavours.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: October 5, 2015, 01:38:01 am »

Not sure that I could put it better than zen did. While acknowledging that the current owners saved us from the disaster of the previous group of Yanks, I do hope that the currrent group in charge show themselves ready to make the right sorts of changes. Transfer committee nonsense needs to be tossed out the window. Bring in an experienced manager and give him what he needs to do his job.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1151 on: October 5, 2015, 01:38:22 am »
Fuck. Just woke up to this news. Um, shocked, disappointed. Quite numb actually. Like Brendan and was backing him, however ultimately his time was on a knife's edge.

I wish him all the best in the future.

Anyone think the Chelsea situation forced FSG's hand? That's if we're looking at Klopp, of course.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 02:03:04 am by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: October 5, 2015, 01:40:12 am »
That's actually the thing that tipped me over the edge with him and the point where he completely lost my trust. For all the valid arguments about how little interviews and press conferences should matter, when your manager is talking about rebuilding after spending £292m in three years, then you really have to ask the question whether he's fit for the role anymore.

Probably that's when they made the decision to sack him. "Rebuilding" talks, "I am still the best manager for this job". "I haven't lost a derby yet" was all hard to digest for them.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #1153 on: October 5, 2015, 01:40:51 am »
I just woke up and saw the news, so I'm going to be reading for the foreseeable future. I have stayed out of this debate the past few weeks and months, not out of cowardice to express my opinion, and not in a holier-than-thou attempt to seem to be above criticizing the manager, but rather in the hope that my silence would spare all of you the grease and gloop of my sloppy and confused emotions about it all. In short, I had nothing new to contribute - just the same questions (albeit important questions), the same doubts that all of us have had and have been expressing. In short, I've been utterly baffled by it all. But I will say this.

I think FSG were very fair to Rodgers. They gave him a chance to rebound from Stoke (and really from all of 2014-15), but the shoots of new growth were not there and their decision last night makes clear sense. We can't be afraid to try something new and different.

I think Brendan was fair to the club and to us. He clearly gave every effort to put us back in the fray at the top and he clearly tried everything he could think of. It didn't work out, but I'll not slate him for his effort and I wish him well in the future.

Having wished him well and continued to treat him with respect, I think it is fair for us to be excited about what comes next. We needed a lift, badly, and it is clear to me that we needed a change. Banking on the owners to make the right decision (whatever that is) on our next boss is a scary proposition, but the idea that we will be changing the structure of the footballing side of things in the wake of this sacking fills me with hope, something that has been dormant for quite some time.

The club is more than one man, more than one season, more than one slump or one streak of victories. It's a continuum, linking the past to the present and leading to the future. We all remember the glorious, unbearable pressure of those European nights under Rafa, not to mention all the seasons and moments that came before and built the platform from which he led his charge onto the continent. While we are not entitled by some divine right to be included in that mix year after year, no one can argue that our club doesn't belong at the head table, our knives out stabbing at the best meat, the top prizes. Hopefully this decision is the first step on our way back there.

Thanks Brendan and best of luck. YNWA.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: October 5, 2015, 01:43:31 am »

Yeah, the first mention or two you can put down to his apparent need to open up to journalists and perhaps using the word instead of 'evolution'. But as was being discussed before the sacking, he was going out of his way to insert it into every single appearance in recent days.

Judging by one or two of the reports, there does seem to be a touch of delusion in his view of what's gone wrong, and perhaps an overly pessimistic view of some of the signings that weren't 'his'.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: October 5, 2015, 01:45:52 am »
This again?

but the point is, they were all decisions they have made.  hodgson was a rushed ill-informed decision, which resulted in it being a poor one....dalglish was not their chosen appointment, but it was weak to keep him on when they did not want him and it was shithouse 'summoning' him to boston to sack him at the end of the season......Rodgers was their appointment that broke with their initial plan of a structured team with a head coach, and the process at the time seemed ham fisted and, in hindsight still seems like a poorly managed process, which was presented as a fresh and new approach unhindered by past experiences in the game, but ultimately merely appears to have been an amateurish approach that was, indeed, unhindered by experience - and indeed - knowledge of the game.  and then Rodgers is sacked3 months after replacing his coaching support staff and a couple of months after being provided with a meaty transfer budget.....so under Rodgers we have disposed of the (admittedly limited) remains of the family silver and replaced them with lots of stainless steel, all with their approval.  and then he is sacked by phone.  from the us.

this has been a shit tenure in terms of decision making by fsg.  they have continued to make strides off the field, but how well they are doing is not an easy argument ether way, they are operating in an era of unprecedented opportunity and competition, so how do you gauge? however, we have not improved on the field despite their investment. in fact, we have continued to go backwards.  the damage done under h&g cannot be underestimated, but at the same time we cannot continue to use it as an excuse.  they have not appeared to me to be engaged in the football club, and the decisions I have highlighted, the manner in which they have been relayed, and the lack of progress show just that.   

I never did actually like Rodgers, and thought he was a bit of a charlatan. but at the end of the day that is just my opinion and I always supported his teams.  him being removed as manager is not something I see as anything other than inevitable.  but he deserved better treatment. as did dalglish. fsg have shown no class, no engagement and no ability thus far to improve the club.  this needs to change, otherwise the next appointment will have the same outcome.  we will continue to sink to mid-table/uefa league challengers and our ultimate goals and expectations will be managed down.

I am not at all positive about Rodgers being replaced, as I see nothing changing at the club other than personnel and that means nothing if the personnel are not engaged and committed and talented.
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1156 on: October 5, 2015, 01:48:22 am »
Think I heard John Barnes call the sacking a 'crazy decision' on the radio before. For reasons I've stated in other posts, I agree totally with him if that's the case.

Took another step in distancing myself away from modern day footy today, just can't be arsed with it at the moment.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: October 5, 2015, 01:56:55 am »
Personally I'm annoyed by the sacking. I felt the same way about Rafa's sacking. The only reservation I had about Rodgers is his inexperience in Europe. That cost us last season and could potentially cost us a spot this year. I felt he did well to resurrect the team's chances of qualifying for Europe last season (and we did qualify for Europa) after losing Suarez & Sturridge. Once we lost that crucial match at home to United in March it looked all over and we lacked motivation for the remainder of the season.

This season we've started slowly again but we're not far off the pace in the league & still in all cups. Plus we've just got Sturridge back, which makes me a bit surprised we didn't give Rodgers just a bit more time. The summer was the time to axe the manager if we were going to do it. The next two months could make or break our season, so Rodgers' replacement is going to have to get on board very quickly.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: October 5, 2015, 01:58:24 am »
Yeah, the first mention or two you can put down to his apparent need to open up to journalists and perhaps using the word instead of 'evolution'. But as was being discussed before the sacking, he was going out of his way to insert it into every single appearance in recent days.

Judging by one or two of the reports, there does seem to be a touch of delusion in his view of what's gone wrong, and perhaps an overly pessimistic view of some of the signings that weren't 'his'.
It comes down to himself ultimately. Very talented coach, mediocre manager. Most of his failures were managerial ones, mistakes to do with his overriding strategy or decision making. Whatever blame may be attached for lack of certainty and clarity higher up in terms of roles, transfer committee etc he had more than enough with which to do his job and he lost sight of what he came in to do.

He'll have a good career if he can sort out his managerial problems because he's clearly a good coach but boy does he need a bit of introspection. All managers look to shift blame away from themselves to put themselves in a better light but you got the feeling with him that he believed the excuses he came out with. If he can sort some of that out then he'll have success in his future career. I'd be very happy to see that happen because he's clearly got a lot of talent and has a lot of passion for what he does.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: October 5, 2015, 02:10:18 am »
Personally I'm annoyed by the sacking. I felt the same way about Rafa's sacking. The only reservation I had about Rodgers is his inexperience in Europe. That cost us last season and could potentially cost us a spot this year. I felt he did well to resurrect the team's chances of qualifying for Europe last season (and we did qualify for Europa) after losing Suarez & Sturridge. Once we lost that crucial match at home to United in March it looked all over and we lacked motivation for the remainder of the season.

This season we've started slowly again but we're not far off the pace in the league & still in all cups. Plus we've just got Sturridge back, which makes me a bit surprised we didn't give Rodgers just a bit more time. The summer was the time to axe the manager if we were going to do it. The next two months could make or break our season, so Rodgers' replacement is going to have to get on board very quickly.

This was a big negative for me last season. I can understand things not coming off and the attack being dysfunctional, but the way we lay down after the United game and basically treated the rest of the season like it was Gerrard's farewell tour was pretty disgraceful. That's not how winners behave.