Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager  (Read 150700 times)

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
Re: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager
« Reply #1080 on: October 4, 2015, 11:02:38 pm »
Pretty impressed FSG took the decision so early into the season & admitted the summer mistake. Would have been easy to wait out the season. 

Same for me. Hope they learned from their first mistake as well and bring a proven manager this time round.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1081 on: October 4, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »
You judge a manager by the legacy and quality of squad they left.

I don`t think any new manager that takes over can say they don`t have good material to work with here. Therefore BR has done a very good job overall and the squad is talented, young, vibrant and full of potential.

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: October 4, 2015, 11:04:51 pm »
We should be sacking Ian Ayre. Not saying that Rodgers was a great manager for us, but I see bigger problem with Ayre.

Certainly would like to see him move more to a commercial role - get him away from anything to do with players and football decisions.

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #1083 on: October 4, 2015, 11:05:15 pm »
Finally watched his final interview and the only thing I'm left feeling is sorry for him. Being manager of this club is a poisoned chalice right now, and I'm actually embarrassed by some of the fans. All the ones who boo'd at the end of the Sion game, all the ones who now clicking their heels with glee. The only manager who deserved to get the boot like this was Hodgson. We've kicked out too many too soon in recent years, and I worry this is only going to feed into a downward spiral.

To kick him out now, on the basis of this season stinks. And if they're giving him the boot because of last season, which they would've been entitled too after the Stoke game, then they should have done it in the Summer. Doing it now is just bullshit, Brendan's been thrown under the bus to protect them, and to protect their investment. I bloody hope they have a plan and a quality replacement lined up., otherwise all the Brendan out twats will be laughing on the other side of their faces, just like the Rafa out twats before them.
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #1084 on: October 4, 2015, 11:08:38 pm »
I was disheartened when it was reported that FSG had a shortlist of Rodgers and Martinez – neither good enough for us. He did well in his first season by taking a chance on youngsters like Suso, whom he ditched as soon as he had money to spend.

You can't deny he set us up to get Suarez playing at his best two years ago, but even in Rafa's day, there was a need for some succession planning to replace Gerrard and Carragher. Few of Rodgers' signings have been genuinely top drawer. For me, his biggest downfall is that so many of his signings have failed to perform at the level they showed consistently with their previous clubs – Allen, Lallana, Lovren have failed to deliver. That doesn't square with the narrative that suggests he's a 'top manager'.

As for his media interviews, never as cringeworthy as Hodgson, but too puffed up with his own importance for a Liverpool manager.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #1085 on: October 4, 2015, 11:09:18 pm »
Why did they wait until they were 7-8 games into a new season to do this? They should have done it in the summer and given the new manager a clean start

This is what I don't understand. End of last season was terrible, so it sort of made sense. Then they decide to stick, which is surprising but ok if they back him. But it seems so early to pull the plug. Don't get me wrong he had lost me weeks ago, but it just felt odd they backed him but had just as little patience as the fans.

It feel like it had to happen, but a gamble that's gone wrong.... What happens to the new coaches?

Quite scared as to who we might appoint.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1086 on: October 4, 2015, 11:13:25 pm »
Apparently was devastated when he found out, obviously had no clue and was avoiding all of the rumours, FSG are across the pond so it's easy to pick and choose what to believe I suppose.

Saw I nice quote earlier, "All that matters to me is that we made them dream." - Brendan Rodgers, 2014.

Thanks for the title challenge and good luck.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: October 4, 2015, 11:17:29 pm »
Apparently was devastated when he found out, obviously had no clue and was avoiding all of the rumours, FSG are across the pond so it's easy to pick and choose what to believe I suppose.

Or was in denial or too stubborn to see the writing on the wall.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: October 4, 2015, 11:18:48 pm »

Saw I nice quote earlier, "All that matters to me is that we made them dream." - Brendan Rodgers, 2014.

He clearly knew something was up based on his post match interview with BBC and pretty much every press conference he's done for the last few weeks.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1089 on: October 4, 2015, 11:19:18 pm »

Feel for him.  :(  I hope he gets a good rest before returning to football and a new challenge. He certainly has the ability to make a good manager, and hopefully he will learn a lot about his time as Liverpool manager and put it to good use.

He certainly gave us some epic football that season, it was up there with the best. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1090 on: October 4, 2015, 11:20:00 pm »
I've made my views clear enough.

I've never been a huge devotee. When you're reared on Shanks and the other true greats and even in recent years Houllier and Rafa, it would have taken a lot more for me to have made that same sort of connection.

But Brendan Rodgers is still the man who presided over the most exciting football ever seen at Anfield. For much of that season more exciting than the football any of the great managers ever managed even with the truly great teams of yesteryear.

The season that followed was for the most part awful but the reasons for it were more down to the loss of vital players than to Rodgers's management shortcomings. 

And for those reasons alone the decision to ditch him is ludicrous and smacks of the same sort of stupid, short-term "I want it and I want it now" mentality that has gradually infected football over the years.

The lunatics began taking over the assylum as Houllier struggled and they are now in full possession both within our "fanbase"  and ownership.

Saints fucking preserve us. And you too Jurgen Klopp - you poor naive bastard.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: October 4, 2015, 11:20:11 pm »
He clearly knew something was up based on his post match interview with BBC and pretty much every press conference he's done for the last few weeks.
He knew he was under pressure but he didn't think he'd get the sack after drawing against Everton.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: October 4, 2015, 11:21:13 pm »
Pretty impressed FSG took the decision so early into the season & admitted the summer mistake. Would have been easy to wait out the season.
Wonder if all those who said they would never sack him as their happy achieving fuck all will admit they were wrong now.

Fucking loads of them saying it as well.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #1093 on: October 4, 2015, 11:21:21 pm »
This is what I don't understand. End of last season was terrible, so it sort of made sense. Then they decide to stick, which is surprising but ok if they back him. But it seems so early to pull the plug. Don't get me wrong he had lost me weeks ago, but it just felt odd they backed him but had just as little patience as the fans.

It feel like it had to happen, but a gamble that's gone wrong.... What happens to the new coaches?

Quite scared as to who we might appoint.
Perhaps who they wanted to appoint wasn't ready /available in the summer?

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: October 4, 2015, 11:22:06 pm »
Feel for him.  :(  I hope he gets a good rest before returning to football and a new challenge. He certainly has the ability to make a good manager, and hopefully he will learn a lot about his time as Liverpool manager and put it to good use.

He certainly gave us some epic football that season, it was up there with the best.
Yeah I feel sorry for him, he was out of ideas though. I'm sure the £7.3 million will ease the pain though.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #1095 on: October 4, 2015, 11:22:13 pm »
Genuinely sorry for Brendan personally as he comes across as a committed, passionate man who has always put the reputation and ethos of the club first.

Loved the way he gave youth a chance, Sterling, Ibe, Flanagan, Suso (for a while) and recently Gomez and his man management of big players like Suarez and Gerrard was generally excellent, but his inability to attract the absolute top class players from abroad probably cost him his position.

As for the future, it's likely that either Klopp or Anchelotti will be appointed (and I will fully support either), but for now I'd just like to thank Brendan for his efforts and commitment.

A good man.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: October 4, 2015, 11:25:59 pm »
What alehouse is he in John? I want to go down with my print off of Brendan's "1 win in 18 away matches against the top 8" to see what sort of reception I'll get.

;D It was Tribeca hours ago.

Offline krizzobizzle

• Mr Fun at a party near you soon!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1097 on: October 4, 2015, 11:27:24 pm »
He didn't deserve to go after today. He deserved at least a few more games to try and get it right.

Losses to Tottenham away and then a poor showing against Southampton then fair enough ok. But they see the International Break as an ideal time to pull the trigger. We are only 4 points behind Arsenal. Its not a disaster.

Its such a shame it ended this way to be honest. Whatever he had going on his private life. We can only judge him on how he always respected the values of the club. He's not perfect but in that respect he went about his job in the exact opposite way to Hogdson.

Man that fateful season seems like 10 years ago now.

I despair for Klopp or Ancellotti if we start with a few losses.

« Last Edit: October 4, 2015, 11:29:58 pm by krizzobizzle »

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #1098 on: October 4, 2015, 11:36:10 pm »
I think it's the right call at this point in time.

There are still 30 games left in the season and there's a chance (maybe not that high) that Chelsea absolutely implodes.  And you can't tell me that Man U has a lot of depth in their attack - they play the same front 4 every match.

4th place is still there for the taking but the team needs to have the ability to go on a serious winning streak somewhere in the next 30 games.  And it's fair to conclude that Rodgers just isn't going to get it done.

Basically if Rodgers stayed I'd be really confident we'd finish somewhere between 5th and 7th

With a new manager I think our range of outcomes is 3rd to 10th

I'm quite willing to make that trade right now.  If the new manager comes in and falls flat on his face, well so be it.  There's no value in staying on the Rodgers treadmill while everyone is miserable.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: October 4, 2015, 11:37:58 pm »
It wasn't to be but I genuinely think he put his best efforts into it. Thank you for that year Brendan it was incredible. Best of luck wherever you end up.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: October 4, 2015, 11:37:59 pm »
Are we allowed to criticize the manager now without being banned? No more fingers in ears?
Who is being banned for what Phil? ffs Alan's response was to someone saying BR should never have been appointed!
And Mods get accused of being OTT.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1101 on: October 4, 2015, 11:37:59 pm »
To all those people shouting for his head, you've got what you deserve now. I expect to see you back here in a couple of years calling for the next man to go. Sad day for us as a club.

I wish people would get to fuck with this sanctimonious shit.....personally I don't know anyone who hasn't welcomed the news.....the only thing sad about today was that we didnt get 3 points at the shithole
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #1102 on: October 4, 2015, 11:41:08 pm »
Are we allowed to criticize the manager now without being banned? No more fingers in ears?

Lol you're a crybaby.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: October 4, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmPS8tXgXw

The look on Henry's face for a good 20 seconds  ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1104 on: October 4, 2015, 11:43:42 pm »
I wish people would get to fuck with this sanctimonious shit.....personally I don't know anyone who hasn't welcomed the news.....the only thing sad about today was that we didnt get 3 points at the shithole

I know a few like that too P - c*nts to a fucking man.

;D

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: October 4, 2015, 11:50:30 pm »
Lol you're a crybaby.

I think you might be quite fit, I've got a nice penis, we could have a good time

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: October 4, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »
Who is being banned for what Phil? ffs Alan's response was to someone saying BR should never have been appointed!
And Mods get accused of being OTT.

I got banned last time for being quite critical of Brendan, I dunno who did it

Offline ItsMerbz

• Kemlynite
  • Red or Dead
« Reply #1107 on: October 4, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »
Thank you for your time Rodgers, is the transfer committee staying tho?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: October 4, 2015, 11:52:37 pm »
Should have gone in the summer, there was never any coming back from losing 6-1 to Stoke. Any poor result would fall back on him.

Now important the club choose the right man (Klopp)
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1109 on: October 4, 2015, 11:52:42 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmPS8tXgXw

The look on Henry's face for a good 20 seconds  ;D

Fuck me the utter drivel coming out of Carragher's gob there. Unbelievable.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: October 4, 2015, 11:52:54 pm »

It's funny; I was continuing to argue for him to get more time in the post-match thread, though critical at the moment of his tactics, and on the side of the TC over his choices. I'd logged off for a bit and was wondering what it was that actually made me think he could turn it round, and I couldn't really put my finger on it. Logged on a bit later, he'd been sacked and it was almost a release. A minor disappointment that it hasn't worked out, but nothing like losing Dalglish or Rafa (or even Roy Evans; I was never much of an Houllier fan).

But yeah, I don't think he can have too many complaints. Cheers for 2013/14, and I hope the tens of millions wages and payoff softens the blow a tad.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1111 on: October 4, 2015, 11:53:01 pm »

nothing sanctimonious about it. Some are just pissed off by it. But just because you and your mates are happy doesn't mean everyone else has to be. Don't be such a cock.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1112 on: October 5, 2015, 12:07:59 am »
nothing sanctimonious about it. Some are just pissed off by it. But just because you and your mates are happy doesn't mean everyone else has to be. Don't be such a cock.

the post I replied to was superfan, pious, holier than thou bullshit.....

and btw, just because you're crying into your Club Shop hankie doesn't mean everyone else is...think on
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #1113 on: October 5, 2015, 12:14:52 am »
I get your point too although I do disagree with it. And although I am sad that we've sacked yet another manager, I'm not in the same camp as yourself or Geoff.  No harm mate, we all support the club and I don't think you're a twat just because we have differing opinions :wave

Deffo mate ;)

At the end of the day we all want whats best for our club.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Weby72.

• Kopite
« Reply #1114 on: October 5, 2015, 12:17:13 am »
We are only 4 points behind Arsenal. Its not a disaster.

The quandary for FSG was, I guess, whether waiting for, say the New Year would have seen us 14+ points behind arsenal & us very much being in a situation that could be considered a 'disaster'.

So far as fearing the next manager wouldn't get any time to settle, experience doesn't suggest that would be the case. For much of Rodgers' first season, we weren't good, yet fans gave him no grief. He's had over 3 seasons, and for the last 13 months we've looked rudderless & devoid of any coherence. If we could have seen a progression in terms of playing style & formation, even some losses along the way would (by most) have been met with patience. Yet he's still scrabbling about trying to find a style & formation that works.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1115 on: October 5, 2015, 12:17:39 am »
the post I replied to was superfan, pious, holier than thou bullshit.....

and btw, just because you're crying into your Club Shop hankie doesn't mean everyone else is...think on

x2

Offline Skrtelonparole

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: October 5, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
Thanks for everything brendan la... That season was magic!

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: October 5, 2015, 12:21:08 am »
found him increasingly dislikable as the years went by, i wont judge him on account of his personal life, from the outside looking in, but it doesnt make for a convincing argument of him having "great character" (sorry, couldnt resist)

football wise im all for it, his teams have looked disjointed for over a year, i dont like how he treated Agger, Sterling nor Gerrard, he seemed incapable of settling his defense and worst of all he bought Borini, Aspas, Lambert and Balotelli yet didnt trust any of them, even resorted to playing Sterling up front.

hope it works out for him somewhere else

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: October 5, 2015, 12:21:11 am »
Theres no way klopp hasnt been looking in on Liverpool if he was eyeing up a top PL job. He'll have his ideas already if he's given the job.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: October 5, 2015, 12:26:40 am »
Theres no way klopp hasnt been looking in on Liverpool if he was eyeing up a top PL job. He'll have his ideas already if he's given the job.

Someone said he's been keeping up with journalists and learning about the club since the summer, can't find the post in the current madness of RAWK though.