Author Topic: Match Preview: EFL Cup Leicester v Liverpool FC @ the King Power 19/9/17 7.45  (Read 23649 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: Match Preview: EFL Cup Leicester v Liverpool FC @ the King Power 19/9/17 7.45
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »
This is a good game for Phil and Dan to get some game time, can see both starting.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Match Preview: EFL Cup Leicester v Liverpool FC @ the King Power 19/9/17 7.45
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
Liverpool exists to win trophies, or at least that's what I thought we were led to believe? Yet some people would be quite happy to get knocked out tomorrow so we can concentrate on the league and CL, both of which we have next to zero chance of winning? This is our best chance of a trophy this year and whilst I agree that there should be some rotation needed, we should put out a team that is capable of beating Leicester.

Those same people saying they'd be ok to prioritise the CL and league will be the same people at the end of the season throwing it back in the managers face at the end of the season if he doesn't win a trophy this season.

We need to win tomorrow. End of.

Well said. Completely agree

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2017, 10:39:50 pm »
I can only speak for myself, but I can honestly say I won't be throwing it back in the manager's face come season's end if we don't win a trophy. I prefer it when we win stuff, just like everyone, but if we don't it won't bother me hugely - for me getting top four is more important as it increases our chances of success in the long term. Maybe this is the wrong attitude to take, I don't know, but expecting us to win something every year just doesn't seem realistic anymore.

Ah I dunno pal. I'd take 5th and winning the Champions League ;D

I think most managers see the domestic cups as an opportunity to rest key players, blood in youngsters and get match fitness for those who need it. Winning is of course great and cup finals are brilliant days out, but finishing fourth and winning one once every few years becomes tiresome, ask Arsenal.

To really attract attention these days you need to be in the Champions League year in year out and going deep in the competition, as well as challenging for top honours domestically. Oh and a shit load of cash in a high profile league.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2017, 10:55:31 pm »
Ah I dunno pal. I'd take 5th and winning the Champions League ;D

;D A fair point.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »
Why do people who are enthusiastic about this competition rattle on about winning trophies? We're 6 games (or whatever) and 4 months from winning it
It's such a simplistic argument to go 'we exist to win trophies equals we should play our first teamers in the early rounds of the league cup' as if there are no other factors in the decision or all games or competitions should be perceived as or are equal.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2017, 11:13:42 pm »
Our first team squad should be nowhere near selection for this competition. It should be used exclusively for youth, fringe players and 1st team squad players who require playing time. Only time the 1st team squad get a look in is for the final itself (even the- it will depend who our Champs league opponents in the midweek is. Circumstances may dictate who plays.)
Semis in January is an absolute nightmare and hugely demanding on the first team squad.

There are 4 trophies we can win this year so I'd like to see us with a  stronger selection than the above

Which is our best chance of getting Klopp up and running ? We don't have the luxury of treating the domestic cups with disdain . I'm still fuming from the pisspoor showing at home against Wolves last year

Coutinho needs to play himself into form , would like to see how AOC can link up with him and Woodburn would be nice

Let's stop the mini-slump and hammer these
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
This is a good game for Phil and Dan to get some game time, can see both starting.

Throw Woodburn in and we should have some fun
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:53 pm »
I hope Jurgen puts out a team of U23s, U18s, apprentices, tea ladies, etc. If he plays anyone who's stepped on the pitch in the league so far this season I'll be fuming.

And that should be the policy until we get knocked out of this pointless competition. The last thing we need this season is more games, especially in November and December, which is ridiculously busy.

Well, I am glad you are not picking the team. Several players were rested at the weekend and I want us to win the fucking thing.

Pick a team to win tomorrow and see what the draw brings.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22:27 pm »
Liverpool exists to win trophies, or at least that's what I thought we were led to believe? Yet some people would be quite happy to get knocked out tomorrow so we can concentrate on the league and CL, both of which we have next to zero chance of winning? This is our best chance of a trophy this year and whilst I agree that there should be some rotation needed, we should put out a team that is capable of beating Leicester.

Those same people saying they'd be ok to prioritise the CL and league will be the same people at the end of the season throwing it back in the managers face at the end of the season if he doesn't win a trophy this season.

Nail on head. All this bollocks about effectively sacking it off drives me mad.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
Looking forward to seeing Grujic tomorrow night. I don't know exactly why, but I think this lad has something about him that could develop into something outstanding.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »

Lol your post is totally contradictive, "LFC exists to win trophies", "LFC have next to zero chance of winning the league or the CL"
It's the 18th of September, too early for the navel gazing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:45:51 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2017, 11:43:31 pm »
Not really, League Cup ir whatever the fuck it's called is a really good chance to win something

If they want an energy drink should go back to calling it the Milk Cup, will remind us all of when we took it seriously even ( or maybe especially) when we were winning leagues

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:43 pm »
Not really, League Cup ir whatever the fuck it's called is a really good chance to win something

If they want an energy drink should go back to calling it the Milk Cup, will remind us all of when we took it seriously even ( or maybe especially) when we were winning leagues

Ha ha, spelt it right by chance and got auto-corrected 😀

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2017, 11:50:20 pm »

Back when we had the biggest budget in the country and there was no european cup group stage you mean...back then?

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2017, 12:07:29 am »
Back when we had the biggest budget in the country and there was no european cup group stage you mean...back then?

That's right, back when we had a squad of 20 players , back then

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2017, 12:13:25 am »
LFC have never had the biggest budget in the Country.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:20 am »
That's right, back when we had a squad of 20 players , back then

sorry are we pretending the demands on the players are same? are we also living in a world where our competitors won't rest their players as well?
this whole debate takes place in a world that doesn't exist... a world where a team can effectively compete in 4 competitions. Doesn't exist. You have to prioritise

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2017, 12:45:42 am »
sorry are we pretending the demands on the players are same? are we also living in a world where our competitors won't rest their players as well?
this whole debate takes place in a world that doesn't exist... a world where a team can effectively compete in 4 competitions. Doesn't exist. You have to prioritise

No, which is why the squad is at 30+

The demands may be different , but so is the way the players are looked after

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2017, 12:58:58 am »
a win without major injury concerns would be an ideal scenario.

Expect both teams to rotate a bit, but eventually we have better back up players than Leicester

----------Ward------
Flanno-Lovren-Klavan-Robertson
------------Hendo-----
-----Milner---------Gini
AOC----Solanke-----Woodburn

1-2 to Liverpool. Oxlade-Chamberlain to score bold
The change is cast

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2017, 02:57:38 am »
I'm going to be a bit bullish here and say we put a lot in to this competition the last 2 years and ended up with nothing on both occasions. The final two years ago, and the semi final last year. Last year was draining on the team because had we have not had to play a ridiculous two legged semi final (in which we were utterly useless in both games) we may have fared better with our league form in January.

Have to side with those people who say we should not field a strong side. We have a big game coming up on Saturday against these lot and then a CL game in Moscow midweek. Play the youth players and some fringe players sure as they need to play as well. But players like Salah, Firmino, Hendo, Can, Matip, Moreno, Gini, Phil, Mané (banned anyway) should be nowhere near the first 11.

It's surprising how some people have given up on the league already citing this as our best chance of winning a trophy. There are 33 games left to play in the league.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:59:18 am by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2017, 03:09:29 am »
We need to start winning shit. Often winning breeds more trophies and a greater winning mentality.

We are far more likely to win this or the FA cup than we are winning the champions league or the league this year.

We should be doing our upmost to win this thing. We don't have the winning history the last ten years to scoff at this competition.

PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:03 am »
At this point we're in four competitions in theory. My heart tells me even winning one would make it a "successful" season.

Let's concentrate on getting better. Our defense as a whole is not good enough to win anything but maybe the league cup. Maybe.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
Oliver Bond‏

Philippe Coutinho will start for Liverpool this evening.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:02 am »
Oliver Bond‏

Makes sense. Takes him an age to get back into form so this could quicken it. Also think Robertson, Milner and Sturridge should start. Maybe a diamond with Solanke up front.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:26 am »
Must win game, lads. We must also keep a clean sheet and score 4 or I will be fuming. I might even whistle at my at TV.

They should rename it the Mickey Mouse cup and have Goofy refereeing it. He'd do a better job than the clowns they have in the Premier League.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2017, 08:33:23 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Looks like being a decent starting X1 and so think we should win this. Solanke up front with AOC and Woodburn for me. Phil, Grujic + 1 in midfield.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2017, 08:47:29 am »
Oliver Bond‏

I hope Filbert Fox has got a hard hat at the ready...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
Why do people who are enthusiastic about this competition rattle on about winning trophies? We're 6 games (or whatever) and 4 months from winning it
It's such a simplistic argument to go 'we exist to win trophies equals we should play our first teamers in the early rounds of the league cup' as if there are no other factors in the decision or all games or competitions should be perceived as or are equal.

You are arguing by bizarre absolute. We should neither play our strongest team, nor sack it off completely. We should play a team strong enough to win, whilst taking the opportunity to give fringe and young players some game time, but still retain enough of the first team squad to avoid playing like strangers.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2017, 09:27:52 am »
Of the four trophies that count for anything (FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Premiership) it's by far the least respected. It still counts for something though. A reminder that our trophy cabinet for the last TEN YEARS has a solitary league cup in it. We're not better without the league cup... yes we will rest or rotate players but we still go to win. Our squad is big enough (it really is) to play these maximum six extra games competitively
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2017, 09:33:41 am »
Looking forward to this. Excited to see a few players get some game time, especially Woodburn, Solanke, Ward, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Grujic.

Coutinho should definitely be starting this one too. Needs to shake off the cobwebs and get his match fitness back asap.

Ward
Gomez Klavan Lovren Robertson
Grujic Milner Coutinho
AOC Solanke Woodburn

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2017, 10:13:22 am »
Of the four trophies that count for anything (FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Premiership) it's by far the least respected. It still counts for something though. A reminder that our trophy cabinet for the last TEN YEARS has a solitary league cup in it. We're not better without the league cup... yes we will rest or rotate players but we still go to win. Our squad is big enough (it really is) to play these maximum six extra games competitively

People remember how many trophies you won a lot more than they'll ever remember how many times you get top 4. Also in in the case of Liverpool especially, I think a trophy will give you a lot of confidence, and you are a confidence team, so it could be the first of many.
If you win here you could get get a far easier tie next round so rotate accordingly, but I don't see how effectively binning a competition helps.
Anyone knows if this is on sky tonight ?

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:27 am »
It's on Sky.

Offline Glen C

• Main Stander
  • Santouryuu: Hyou Kin Dama!
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2017, 10:19:57 am »
Really hope the likes of Woodburn and Solanke get to start tonight.  Hoping to see:

--------------------------ward---------------------------
flanno----------gomez---------lovren-----------robertson
------Grujic------------Milner---------Coutinho---------
-------Ox-----------Solanke-----------Woodburn---------

Offline Red78

• Main Stander
  • One bird for life.
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:41 am »
100% on Sky. Build up starts at 7.30pm.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2017, 10:24:30 am »
People remember how many trophies you won a lot more than they'll ever remember how many times you get top 4. Also in in the case of Liverpool especially, I think a trophy will give you a lot of confidence, and you are a confidence team, so it could be the first of many.

The league cup in 2012 was fuck all help to us.  I enjoyed it (apart from Adam's penalty), but it has no long-term bearing on where the club is going.

The last time we reached the final of this thing and finished in the top 4 was 2001.  It's almost like - and hear me out - the extra games in this thing are actually detrimental to our league position.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2017, 10:28:00 am »
I agree broadly with your other points in this post, but the pedantic side of me had to pick this bit out. Gomez is 6'2, Klavan is listed as being actually a tad shorter than him. 6'2 in this league is no midget. Lovren is listed as 6'2 as well. I don't think Klopp will be reticent to play Gomez at centre back due to his height or any lack of it.

It isn't always about height either. Matip is 6'5 but doesn't seem to be able to jump very high, and indeed sometimes he doesn't jump at all. So his height doesn't work in his favour that way, whereas a defender who is just 6 foot tall might be very athletic and be able to leap like a salmon. For what it's worth, I do hope we give Gomez a shot at centre back tomorrow and if he performs well I don't see any reason not to play him in the weekend's fixture.

I agree that height isn't everything and actually a leap/spring is just as important - Lovren is a lot better in the air than Matip despite being a couple of inches shorter for example - but I don't think Gomez is quite as tall as Lovren. I'd be surprised if Gomez is taller than 6ft1 and from what I've seen of him, he hasn't got an impressive jump on him either really.

Inaccurate height listings are quickly becoming my biggest gripe with football. There should be an onus on football clubs to be 99% accurate. Weight is obviously different as it can fluctuate.

Also something to note here: I think posture is incredibly important for centre-backs. Let's say Lovren is one inch taller than Gomez, in reality it's more like two or three because his posture is very good which probably helps his jump, whereas if you watch Gomez, Klavan and to a lesser extent Matip, they're all a bit more 'squat'. They're automatically losing an inch or two in height as a result.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:32:07 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2017, 10:32:20 am »
The league cup in 2012 was fuck all help to us.  I enjoyed it (apart from Adam's penalty), but it has no long-term bearing on where the club is going.

The last time we reached the final of this thing and finished in the top 4 was 2001.  It's almost like - and hear me out - the extra games in this thing are actually detrimental to our league position.

A trophy when you're on the up like now will do a lot more than a trophy when you're generally going going nowhere (like Arsenal). I think you need a trophy as part of your progression, it would be another milestone achieved.

Online Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:13 am »
Presumably all those that are happy for us to bin the domestic cup competitions won't take part in the inevitable scramble for tickets if we were to make it to the final!  ;D ;D

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2017, 10:40:18 am »
A trophy when you're on the up like now will do a lot more than a trophy when you're generally going going nowhere (like Arsenal). I think you need a trophy as part of your progression, it would be another milestone achieved.

Totally agree. Somewhat ironic that a fan of another club sees this, while many of our own don't. Winning any trophy this season will do wonders for the squad, the fans an the club in general.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:27 am »

And yet in 2001 we won this trophy before going on to win the FA Cup, UEFA Cup and finishing third in the league. Almost as if winning that trophy gave us the belief and confidence to improve...........

We've won one trophy in the last ten years so haven't had the 'distraction' of the cup games in nine seasons yet we haven't finished top four in each of those seasons so it's hard to make any correlation between too many cup games and finishing top four. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."