Author Topic: And On The 8th Day, God Said "Let There Be Depth At Liverpool"  (Read 2259 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Behold!  8) When is the last season we looked this strong from top to bottom?  :)

Just look at the "Cup Team". I'd argue that unit, as written, could get to at least the semis of the League or FA Cups, and maybe have an outside shot of winning one of them.

*players listed as of 8/11/18 on LFC site

Starting Unit

Allison

Alexander-Arnold Lovren Van Dijk Robertson

Fabinho Keita Henderson

Salah Firmino Mane

Cup Team:

Karius

Clyne Matip Klavan Moreno

Lallana Wijnaldum Milner

Shaqiri Sturridge Origi

Cup Bench Options: Mignolet, Grabara, Kelleher, Gomez, Randall, Phillips, Grujic, Jones, Ojo, Camacho, Markovic, Chirivella, Solanke

Injured: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster

Loaned: Bogdan, Allan, Woodburn, Kent, Wilson, Ejaria, Awoniyi, Ings

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: And On The 8th Day, God Said "Let There Be Depth At Liverpool"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:10:31 pm »
Depth will be key for us in whatever we aim to accomplish this year. Klopp said it today in his presser, rotation is the ultimate future of football and once September arrives, there will be rotation and 2 games played a week

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:04:24 am »
Depth will be key for us in whatever we aim to accomplish this year. Klopp said it today in his presser, rotation is the ultimate future of football and once September arrives, there will be rotation and 2 games played a week
And we seem to have a group of unselfish players who understand their roles and are willing to sacrifice some playing time in order to contribute to a top club aiming for trophies.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:18:10 am »

As much as I love Sturridge I don't think we have great depth in attack should one of the three be unavailable and our need to rotate in that area going forward.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:34 am »
Yes, it’s not bad at all. City had Sane, Kompany, Gabriel, and Debruyne on the bench today and it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if 2 or 3 of them were in the premier league team of the season
So  they’ve still got an advantage over the long season but at least now we’re not relying on four 17 year olds and Stephen Caulker. It feels good

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:35 am »
The three that took up midfield today were the three that deserved to. Good to see two of them in your 'cup team' ;)

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:36:07 am »
The three that took up midfield today were the three that deserved to. Good to see two of them in your 'cup team' ;)
Oh, I agree with you 100%. :) But I think the general feeling is that Henderson & Fabinho will establish themselves as starters alongside Keita. Nice "problem" to have, no matter who the boss chooses!   
― Christine Szymanski

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:38 am »

As much as I love Sturridge I don't think we have great depth in attack should one of the three be unavailable and our need to rotate in that area going forward.

You can easily play a five man midfield with one of the 3 up front and we could rotate successfully, and that's without depending on Sturridge.

Henderson/Milner      Fabinho/Wijnaldum

Shaqiri/Milner              Lallana/Keita       Keita/Lallana   

Salah/Mane/Bobby/Sturridge/Solanke/Origi

There are various options combinations,formations we can use and rotate the front 3.

The midfield depth gives us the options how to line up and minimize the use of all front 3 when we need to rotate that heavy. We have interchangeable players who can do various roles and do them well

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:54:04 am »
Oh, I agree with you 100%. :) But I think the general feeling is that Henderson & Fabinho will establish themselves as starters alongside Keita. Nice "problem" to have, no matter who the boss chooses!
Indeed it is. Still not sure who the "first choice" midfield will ultimately be but yeah, this is definitely the strongest squad we've had for years. Still a question mark for me about depth for the wide forward positions - Shaqiri looks good but I'm not sure he's quite enough, and I reckon there's still a fair chance Origi leaves this window (and he's not a natural wide man anyway, though I do like his pace for that position)  - but other than that we're looking very good and it's hard not to be positive.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:55:41 am »
Indeed it is. Still not sure who the "first choice" midfield will ultimately be but yeah, this is definitely the strongest squad we've had for years. Still a question mark for me about depth for the wide forward positions - Shaqiri looks good but I'm not sure he's quite enough, and I reckon there's still a fair chance Origi leaves this window (and he's not a natural wide man anyway, though I do like his pace for that position)  - but other than that we're looking very good and it's hard not to be positive.

See above for something we could do  ;) Keita gives us variety of options, he played wide in the 2nd half. We don't have to play with 2 wide forwards

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 01:02:03 am »
Wasn't there a thread like this after the first game last season? ...distinctly remember people getting carried away this time last year

You can't really appreciate depth until it's the dark days of Feb,  there's 2 or 3 injured players, 2 or 3 fatigued players - then you find out if you've got the depth to reproduce this kind of dismissive performance still

It's better than it's been in a good while no question - let's see how we go

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 01:07:07 am »
See above for something we could do  ;) Keita gives us variety of options, he played wide in the 2nd half. We don't have to play with 2 wide forwards
True, but I do think we work well like that. As you say though, Keita could probably do the Mane position without missing a step, so we should be ok. Be nice if Lallana comes back to full fitness and ability too - not for the wide positions I mean (God no!), but just in general. Such a classy player when he's on it.
Wasn't there a thread like this after the first game last season? ...distinctly remember people getting carried away this time last year

You can't really appreciate depth until it's the dark days of Feb,  there's 2 or 3 injured players, 2 or 3 fatigued players - then you find out if you've got the depth to reproduce this kind of dismissive performance still

You're right of course mate, but no harm in a little optimism. Do wonder if this is the strongest squad I've seen in my time as a Liverpool supporter, but should probably temper that with a recognition that the demands of the modern game are harder than they've every been, especially in a system that demands as much effort as Klopp's.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:42 am »
Well said. Also as Jacks says, we need a bit of luck with injuries for the depth to be effective.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:07 am »
Well said. Also as Jacks says, we need a bit of luck with injuries for the depth to be effective.
Completely, mate. We've already seen what a cluster of injuries in a single position - centre half right now - can do to even a strong squad. We'll definitely need a bit of luck with the injuries and I still reckon we've got a couple more injury-prone players than I'd like, but maybe that's the case at most teams? Not sure - I know Utd struggle with Bailly and Jones, and there's Kompany and maybe Gundogan at City, but apart from them I don't really know enough to compare properly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 01:26:27 am »
Completely, mate. We've already seen what a cluster of injuries in a single position - centre half right now - can do to even a strong squad. We'll definitely need a bit of luck with the injuries and I still reckon we've got a couple more injury-prone players than I'd like, but maybe that's the case at most teams? Not sure - I know Utd struggle with Bailly and Jones, and there's Kompany and maybe Gundogan at City, but apart from them I don't really know enough to compare properly.

Aguero,[he is always injured every year at some point],Stones, are prone to injuries, they only have Fernandinho as a six, granted against most sides they don't need a player like him. Dont know much about the rest mate.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 03:59:37 am »

I agree, perspective and not getting carried away is key.

At the same time, even with 6 first team injuries/fatigue issues, we could field a top draw 11 and a pretty decent bench!

What we need to avoid is injuries to key players - VVD, Keita, Firmino are the most critical for a title push I believe.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 04:59:44 am »
The one area we are lacking is speed in wide areas. There’s no depth there at all.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 05:49:04 am »
Wait until after the dreaded International Break, then we can see how the strength in depth looks. In the meantime, we are fantastic and nothing can stop us.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:39 am »
Hey.. not bad!

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:55 am »
I think our depth is improved as of last year. However, looking at the bench City had yesterday... now thats depth!