Author Topic: Daniel Agger  (Read 117296 times)

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
Daniel Agger
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:48:08 pm »
Thoughts on this season?

Think he's a bit overrated to be honest, poor from set pieces and his best attribute seems to be his single run into midfield, to which he will eventually run into a dead-end and dive to get a freekick.

Sort of wondering whether we should have snatched Man City's 20 million, I think there's more all rounded and reliable defenders out there, it's not like we have really missed him the last two games.

Maybe play him in midfield? Seems to be a good dribbler, either that or he has to completely relearn how to mark set pieces.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Agger
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:49:22 pm »
Think he's boss.

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
Are we man-to-man or zonal? It seems all are defenders are having problems with the marking, even Carra.

He's better than Ashley Williams.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:53:25 pm »
He's really poor in the air. It shows especially when he attacks our own set peices, he must miss at least 5 easy goal chances you'd expect any centreback to score

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:23 pm »
Maybe play him in midfield? Seems to be a good dribbler, either that or he has to completely relearn how to mark set pieces.

No way. He's a good dribbler because the whole play is infront of him and he can pick and choose when to drive out from the back. Put him in midfield and you lose that almost completely.

The team as a whole needs to tighten up on set pieces. Obviously the centre backs play a big part of that but if I were Rodgers I'd be looking for a more commanding defender to play alongside Agger rather than having to rebuild from scratch.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:55:04 pm »
hyppia ain't coming back, he's the best we've got. He plays good D just needs a solid tall partner I feel.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »
He's brilliant and a huge part of our future.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »
Very important player for us, loves the club and is an ideal center back for the way Rodgers would like to play.  He is just coming into his best years and we would be foolish to sell him.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »
Good on the ball and quick enough. Not dominate in the air this season past but maybe he was carrying something and this back strengthening stuff will help.

His marking needs a lot of work though.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:17:46 pm »
The best we currently have, be madness to sell him. Plus he actually cares about wearing the shirt, something that is an unknown among those various 'more all rounded and reliable defenders' we could spend a ton on.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:06 pm »
Mediocre season for Daniel, he did play a lot and stayed fit for a long time, so that's a positive.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 05:21:00 pm »
it's not like we have really missed him the last two games.

Fulham and QPR, one safe one relegated.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »
Put him alongside a top class CB and a more inform defensive unit in general and he will be great next season.

Don't think he is over rated at all, just the whole defensive line up hasn't been playing to the best of its ability.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »
he is average.  Good in making runs and making the team move forward from the back (something Brendan likes).  But he is quite poor in holding the line, marking and communicating to the other 3 defenders.  He will play well with someone who has authority in the back four
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 05:43:40 pm »
Carra gone, let's find another whipping boy. The dismissive tone of the op is shocking. Daniel is still a World class defender. I'm sure the boss has plans to strengthen there. You put every player under the microscope you will find fault if you want to, but to rip into the lad the day after a defensive legend retired smacks of mischief. If the great man had not retired yesterday I'm sure this shit thread would be full of clowns blaming Carra for Daniels perceived poor form. I know cos I remember the threads throughout the early part of the season that blamed Carra for everything including the sinking of the Titanic

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 05:46:29 pm »
Him and Papadopoulos ;) will be best partnership in league next season. Not his best season, but still very good. Maybe his back has been causing him trouble and he's not been going into as many 50-50 due to his past injury problems. I wouldn't if I was him either. We look better when he plays though, simple as that. I agree though, he needs someone to tell him what to do
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:48:51 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »
I think he's a good player but he hasn't had a good season. He's been part of a weak defence and he was poor for a good few goals we've conceded. But we know how good he can be and definitely suits our game, he just needs to improve on set pieces and not getting bullied by strong attackers
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:50:43 pm »
Carra gone, let's find another whipping boy. The dismissive tone of the op is shocking. Daniel is still a World class defender. I'm sure the boss has plans to strengthen there. You put every player under the microscope you will find fault if you want to, but to rip into the lad the day after a defensive legend retired smacks of mischief. If the great man had not retired yesterday I'm sure this shit thread would be full of clowns blaming Carra for Daniels perceived poor form. I know cos I remember the threads throughout the early part of the season that blamed Carra for everything including the sinking of the Titanic
Well said mate, another thread that gives a chance for some to put the boot into one of our players.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Mellow29

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54:29 pm »
I honestly feel he's overrated by our fans. I like him, he seems to be a great and loyal lad and that's important, but I wouldn't say he is a world class defender. His defensive attributes should be better, his forward runs lack intelligence (compared to Vertonghen, for example) and I wish he'd be a bigger threat in set pieces. Decent CB, no doubt, but not the world-class we hope he'd be.

Finding a good partner for him is vital. I fancy that Greek guy.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
He's on the back of his longest run of games so a dip in form wouldn't be unheard of. His mistakes have been down to concentration - I guess if you were being kind you could mention fatigue - but it doesn't hide the fact that they have been littered through the season.

Next season marks a turning point for him though. Long have we stood by him during his injury problems and with a season under his belt, coming into his summer years we can say expectations for next season have to be higher than this. 

I honestly feel he's overrated by our fans. I like him, he seems to be a great and loyal lad and that's important, but I wouldn't say he is a world class defender.

Reminds me a little of all the furore surrounding Dominic Hansen Matteo. Think this type of players harks back to the halcyon days so we're keen to pin labels on as soon as possible despite the players sometimes falling short in the quality department.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:00:41 pm by lachesis »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:14 pm »
Was very poor before the new year, and other defenders had to take some flak that should have been Agger bound. By no means flawless since then, but the last couple of months he has returned closer to where he needs and has the quality to be.

Still need more from him next season.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 06:00:12 pm »
Well said mate, another thread that gives a chance for some to put the boot into one of our players.

but is it putting the boot into a player, or perhaps taking account for his role in a lot of poor defensive performances? He's a player with a lot of ability, however this season wasn't an overwhelming success for us on the defensive front, and at times he struggled. He's an excellent footballer, but he's not the greatest 'defender' in the world. If we're going to play with a higher defensive line, you have to ask serious questions about whether he is going to be able to make the adjustment on a permanent basis.

In hindsight the £20 million from city looks like a very tempting deal, but it came far too late in the day to bring in replacements and work with them.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

What can one add to that, really. Good to see some sense on a first page of a new topic before it evolves into who knows what...

Agger is a class act. He didn't have the best season, but that may have been largely affected by the break of his PARTNERSHIP with Skrtel. We don't play with one CB, you know, and you can't put two CBs together and expect instant subliminal understanding even though they've been around the training ground a lot. I don't think it's Agger who is the problem, it's neither Carra, nor Skrtel, nor Coates. We need to define the role and expectations from a new CB partnership and see who fits in the best. Carra is no longer an option, so it's up to Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Kelly, maybe Wisdom, or whoever comes in to fit in the new scheme AND CB partnership.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:26 pm »
Thoughts on this season?

Think he's a bit overrated to be honest, poor from set pieces and his best attribute seems to be his single run into midfield, to which he will eventually run into a dead-end and dive to get a freekick.

Sort of wondering whether we should have snatched Man City's 20 million, I think there's more all rounded and reliable defenders out there, it's not like we have really missed him the last two games.

Ill bite.

Really? He is a superb centre back. Yeh he has been poor at times at set pieces, but then so have the whole team and that just shows its to do with getting to grips with whatever way Brendan sets us up rather than his inabaility.

There are probably no ball playing centre halves better than him who would sign for us, and thats the reason he should be kept. We need a warrior alongside him, but take Agger out (and Pepe too for that matter) and playing it out from the back will be difficult. And you wont realise how important it is until it's gone.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 06:05:24 pm »
Agger is a class act. He didn't have the best season, but that may have been largely affected by the break of his PARTNERSHIP with Skrtel. We don't play with one CB, you know
Agger's performances were worse, prior to the partnership's break up, so not sure that excuse works. Interestingly, only one of those members of the partnership was however scapegoated, and suddenly not only our Defender of the year last year, but Player of the Year was dropped and we were suddenly swarmed with condescending nonsense about Skrtel's limitations.

Offline Right Said Red

• I'm too self-righteous for this Orum! Not an expert. Monumental Idiot.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »
He's made too many mistakes this season.

Most worrying has been his marking at set plays.  He is good in the air, but his tracking of the man has been the issue.  West Brom and Arsenal were two matches where he should have done much better at set plays for goals we conceded.

On the ground he is one of the best centre backs around, he keeps the ball, he can move up the pitch with it and his interceptions and tackling have been fine.

To be fair to Agger I think the whole defending at set plays has been an issue and needs to be looked at.  We need players on the posts for starters, also need some players at the egde of the box to win the second balls, not to mention having a dominant centre back to header the first ball away.  But he has to track his man better.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »
What can one add to that, really. Good to see some sense on a first page of a new topic before it evolves into who knows what...

Agger is a class act. He didn't have the best season, but that may have been largely affected by the break of his PARTNERSHIP with Skrtel. We don't play with one CB, you know, and you can't put two CBs together and expect instant subliminal understanding even though they've been around the training ground a lot. I don't think it's Agger who is the problem, it's neither Carra, nor Skrtel, nor Coates. We need to define the role and expectations from a new CB partnership and see who fits in the best. Carra is no longer an option, so it's up to Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Kelly, maybe Wisdom, or whoever comes in to fit in the new scheme AND CB partnership.

Agreed, mate. The use of the term 'overated' is very overated particularly when used by those who overate their own opinion. Have a discusion but the op is shizer and not conducive to a debate on the Agger issue. For me, he is still, by far, our best defender and will thrive under Brendan. City can stick their 20 million (if there was that much dough on the table) where Paddy stuck his ninepence
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »
Agger's performances were worse, prior to the partnership's break up, so not sure that excuse works. Interestingly, only one of those members of the partnership was however scapegoated, and suddenly not only our Defender of the year last year, but Player of the Year was dropped and we were suddenly swarmed with condescending nonsense about Skrtel's limitations.
Does that have anything to do with the CBs being asked to play differently than before?

Offline Right Said Red

• I'm too self-righteous for this Orum! Not an expert. Monumental Idiot.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:38 pm »
Does that have anything to do with the CBs being asked to play differently than before?

I think the centre backs have played the same way all season.

Offline Redondos Barber

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:31:09 pm »
He's made too many mistakes this season.

Most worrying has been his marking at set plays.  He is good in the air, but his tracking of the man has been the issue.  West Brom and Arsenal were two matches where he should have done much better at set plays for goals we conceded.

On the ground he is one of the best centre backs around, he keeps the ball, he can move up the pitch with it and his interceptions and tackling have been fine.

To be fair to Agger I think the whole defending at set plays has been an issue and needs to be looked at.  We need players on the posts for starters, also need some players at the egde of the box to win the second balls, not to mention having a dominant centre back to header the first ball away.  But he has to track his man better.

Have to say I agree. I don't get how so many people dismiss him as being poor in the air. He's got a very good leap and he attacks the ball. His problems arise, as you say, when he loses his man either through switching off or being caught unbalanced. Although that has been a bit of a problem right throughout the defence at times this season.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »
I think the centre backs have played the same way all season.
The point was, did they play the same way like last season when Agger was our Defender of the Year? But if you consider that defenders defend, the attackers attack, and the keeper keeps the goal, than okay.

That doesn't concern Agger alone, but the entire way we defend. All defenders now have been given different duties, the FBs support the attack more, they are expected to bring the line higher up, etc. Plus, we didn't have Lucas available in the beginning of the season and neither of his deputies (Allen and Henderson) can do a par job, and the fact that we didn't buy a cover didn't help. But these are all excuses, sorry.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »
Underrated, not overrated.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:28 pm »
I think Agger is great but massively overrated on here, good on the ball, very composed, poor in the air and poor when against a strong physical centre forward, but the best we have now Carra has gone, we need stability so that means he should be a starter next season, perhaps alongside a new signing, someone who complements his qualities, so that rules out Skrtel and Coates for me.....

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »
Jesus wept. I think I'll get off here for the Summer if this nonsense is all we've got to look forward too.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
Our best defender by far.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 06:50:15 pm »
Room for improvement in his defending, with the ball - very classy.

The lads going to have to work hard, as is the rest of the defence with being more exposed due to our more attacking with numbers style/system. 

A new partner beckons and hopefully one totally the opposite to Agger.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Grandstand Finish

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
Overrated on RAWK is par for the course.

He's the best defender we have, and he fits the system well, so there should be no talk of selling him or regretting not selling him.

But he isn't 'World Class'; there was a stage in his development where he looked like he could become that, but he hasn't kicked on enough due to injuries, defensive and managerial instability. He's a good player, but has obvious deficiencies, and will need a better partner than Skrtel to come in this summer and take leadership responsibilities.

Agger Skrtel and Lucas Gerrard, as partnerships, have not given us the defensive stability required, and I think it's more down to the CBs than the CMs.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:08 pm »
Has there ever been a thread that has made you pine more than this one for the transfer forum to open?
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:09 pm »
Has there ever been a thread that has made you pine more than this one for the transfer forum to open?
The one abar Zidane and Henry at JLA?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family