Author Topic: Terry Pratchett/Assisted Suicide  (Read 2310 times)

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Terry Pratchett/Assisted Suicide
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
jesus christ.... anyone watching this?

very moving...

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
Re: Terry Pratchett/Assisted Suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:24 pm »
jesus christ.... anyone watching this?

very moving...

Yup. an awful situation to be in.
I couldn't take in what I was seeing there.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:14 pm »
surprised they showed it, when he started to cough, just awful, and the people who are left behind, i wonder how this all sits now with Terry Pratchett?

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »
Watching this, bizarre . His wife is very brave
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »
So sad to watch. His wife is a brave woman and so is he. Not to forget the other fella who died earlier who they raised a glass to. Very moving.
Justice for the 97

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »
Amazing program, a testament to the BBC.
Very powerful, I found it very hard going at times.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »
Even though I heard the warning at the start that it would show the final moments of a life, I still didn't take it as literal. I actually came close a couple of times to turning it off, really wasn't sure about watching the end like that, was very moving.

Simply can't imagine what it must be like to be in that situation, and never want to. Everyone was so amazingly calm about it all, right up to the end.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:24 pm »
Very dignified man, and his wife.

Felt sorry for them that they didnt really get any time to say goodbye, just the two of them, and the fact that the nurse held him instead of the wife.

Hope I never end up in that situation but id rather go like that than 10 years suffering with my personality gone long before my body gives in.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:25 pm »
Excellent programme, what a wonderful couple of people to feature in it at such a time in their lives. Well done BBC.

Legislation to permit this can't come soon enough imo
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:43 am »
What an incredible programme for an incredibly emotive issue.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:48:19 am »
I didn't know anything about this show, it certainly won't be shown out here (i expect) so i had to look up what it was about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8573428/Terry-Pratchett-Choosing-to-Die-BBC-Two-review.html

It's a very emotive issue for me. I read it and felt very emotional. My gran has Alzheimers, like pratchett has. Terry is possibly my favourite author as well. Alzheimers is the nightmare disease. I struggle with seeing my gran now, because it simply isn't here. The state is keeping her alive when the vibrant, wonderful person who she was, has been eaten by the disease. She's just a shell with motor functions now. She doesn't recognise my grandad or my mum and it's a good day if she can even give a smile. I love my gran, the memory of who she was and what she's been through in her life makes me smile. But there is no way she would have ever wanted to be like this. No way, not even a single percent would she want to be kept alive, a burden on the state and an even bigger burden on her family.

I see what it's done to my mum and grandad, the disease has utterly changed them by what it's done to her. It has made me pro choice for euthanasia.

No one should be forced to be like this, there has to be a choice. Not everyone will agree, i'm not going to argue, i can only state my own feeling on the issue from my own experiences.

I really hope this comes available on the net for download, i'd love to watch it, despite knowing that i'll probably find it a very hard watch.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:12 am »
Having seen the way my dad went I'm sure he would have preferred to have died like the man in the programme, on his own terms and being able to say goodbye to his loved ones.

I've always agreed with the concept of assisted suicide/death and in an ideal world it would be how I would like to go. Whether I would actually be able to actually drink the poison when being in that situation is something which I can't fully comprehend. I'm sure there must have been cases where the person wasn't as calm as the one shown, or even having a change of heart after drinking it. Situations like that must be excruciating for the family and friends present as well as the person involved.

Offline loveisreal

• manloveisrealtoo. Takin' Bascombe to taskombe.
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:44 am »
euthanasia and fantasy fiction about wizards and stuff are both as bad as each other.

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:27 am »
euthanasia and fantasy fiction about wizards and stuff are both as bad as each other.

Care to expand on this mate, as I'm failing to see a coherent opinion or argument.  Are you saying fantasy fiction as a genre of literature is bad and that assisted death is equally bad (in which case I'm stunned) or are you saying something else?

As for me I'm currently catching the program on iPlayer and have long been a supporter of assisted death under the right conditions.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:12:23 am »

In the context of the thread, this is probably the most bizarre post I've ever read on here.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:38:02 am »
On an issue that is so complex and sensitive; an issue to which, when asked their opinion, pretty much everyone starts with "phew, that's a tough one".  On an issue like that, I simply cannot comprehend how anyone feels that they have the right to make the decision on someone else's behalf.  In the case of abortion, there is a small child / soon-to-be child involved, so I can understand the "I want to save the baby" brigade, but on an issue that is entirely about one individual's decision on how to handle their own life and death? 

Phew, that's a tough one, and I wish anyone who is put in that horrible position the best with their decision.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:32 am »

You just type the first thing that comes into your head most of the time, don't you?

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Pretty obvious fishing.

Thought it was very moving myself and it's certainly a topic that needs discussing. In my view, assisted suicide should be allowed. A man or woman should be allowed to dictate whether he wishes to die or not. Archiac religous views should have no part of it. Being able to die on your own terms and with your own family is the best way to go.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:34 pm »
Peter Smedley was/is my god father , a very genuine man who started out with not a lot and ended up a very rich bloke, we didnt know anything about his desire to end his life early until the day of the memorial service in January, he died on Dec 8th , i havent spoken to his wife Christine yet she has been forced to lay low a bit due to the way he passed away, i watched the first 10 minutes last night just to get an idea of what his thoughts were and then switched it off, its on Sky+ at home so i might one day have a look, its not very often you get the chance to see someone pass over and i am not sure i want to watch someone as close as Peter was, i havent seen him for a few years, he sold a country house he and Christine had renovated in Wiltshire, with the monies recieved they moved to Guernsey soon after he found out he had Motor Neuorones, a dignified bloke and a sad story

RIP Peter
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »
Peter Smedley was/is my god father , a very genuine man who started out with not a lot and ended up a very rich bloke, we didnt know anything about his desire to end his life early until the day of the memorial service in January, he died on Dec 8th , i havent spoken to his wife Christine yet she has been forced to lay low a bit due to the way he passed away, i watched the first 10 minutes last night just to get an idea of what his thoughts were and then switched it off, its on Sky+ at home so i might one day have a look, its not very often you get the chance to see someone pass over and i am not sure i want to watch someone as close as Peter was, i havent seen him for a few years, he sold a country house he and Christine had renovated in Wiltshire, with the monies recieved they moved to Guernsey soon after he found out he had Motor Neuorones, a dignified bloke and a sad story

RIP Peter

If its any consolation, he seemed a very brave bloke mate. Should be proud.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »

Your taste in everything is about as shite as it comes. And if you've never been in a position of being effected by the issure of euthenasia, I don't think you have any right to an opinion of it. And I include myself in that category. Its a piece of piss saying off the cuff that its morally wrong when you haven't personally had to watch somebody you loved deteriorating so drastically and irreversibly. I imagine it'd be hard for any of us to retain that viewpoint when and if it actually happens.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
One of my all time favorite writers.

:sad

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »

RIP Peter

You should be very proud mate, and not that I know the man or I've ever seen anyone die before but he seemed like he was incredibly at peace with his decision.

-----

A very moving film, and the debate afterwards was good too, I kept to-ing and fro-ing throughout, traditionally I've always been a supporter of euthanasia (the whole you wouldn't leave an animal in pain but it's okay for a human has never sat well with me) but with that debate I could see Liz Carr's point. There'd have to be massive water tight protections in place for something like this to become legal I think.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:41 pm »
You just type the first thing that comes into your head most of the time, don't you?

And since there are rarely more than 2 things in there, that ain't good
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline jaybeezay

• Anny Roader
  • Keeping it real while playing it safe
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:42 pm »

RIP Peter

He was a very dignified man. I hope when my time comes I can show the same courage as him. I am devastated that someone as decent as him was forced to make this decision by the illness he had. I was also very moved by Andrew, bless him, Makes you feel a right tosser for moaning about the petty stuff. I hope they had time for one last good dream before the end.

Offline stevenl

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »
Just watched this. Incredible television.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:47 pm »
Downloaded for tomorrow.

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:29 pm »
You should be very proud mate, and not that I know the man or I've ever seen anyone die before but he seemed like he was incredibly at peace with his decision.

-----

A very moving film, and the debate afterwards was good too, I kept to-ing and fro-ing throughout, traditionally I've always been a supporter of euthanasia (the whole you wouldn't leave an animal in pain but it's okay for a human has never sat well with me) but with that debate I could see Liz Carr's point. There'd have to be massive water tight protections in place for something like this to become legal I think.

I think the people on the no side of the fence are overly paranoid. I get the impression they think anyone with a disabilty or who became a "burden" to their family would be cajoled into assisted suicide.

Be a pretty weak system if that was allowed to happen and we would have thousands going every year.

I am definatley for it.  No way I want to die in pain and after  have lost my marbles.  Though to be honest, and very selfish, if I knew my time was up I'd sell up bust my credit cards and have a hell of a time with a bucket list.

So if you read about some loon base jumping Angel falls and not pulling his chute, that'll be me, my personal way of going.

I once read an article advising dog owners on the right time to put their animals to sleep.  "A week to early is far better than a day too late" I intend to follow that advice for my dogs and for myself and if sadly I cannot make it to Angel falls I hope by the time its my turn I wont have jump off Runcorn bridge and I'll be able go the dignitas way, but in my own country.
Its a dogs life for me

Offline Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 11:16:54 pm »
Some very emotive and interesting posts on here.

I'm a medical student myself, will be a doctor in about a years time. Everytime i go into the hospital and onto the wards i stare  what could potentially be my future in the face. It's something i find hard to deal with. Obviously you have patients who seem worse off than others and i only get to see the worst end of the spectrum but even spending a week on an elderly ward is enough to turn you pro choice.

How we as a people can sit by and watch our loved ones become incontinent shells is beyond me. I don't fear death, just getting old.
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 02:08:47 am »
What a brilliant piece of television. Some incredibly brave and dignified human beings.

Very glad I watched it, despite feeling incredibly sad throughout and now afterwards. Even more glad that it was made.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:48 am »
Just finished watching this.

Just an incredible tv programme. The man was so brave, as was his wife. Two extremely special human beings without a shadow of a doubt.

Not sure what else to say really, i just finished watching it so i'm still pretty raw in terms of emotion.

Remarkable people involved throughout.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
I am going to visit Christine in the coming weeks she wouldnt know Liverpool from Hartlepool its not her thing but i will show her this thread and she will appreciate all your thoughts and words.

Class acts all of you
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 02:42:54 am »
Hello all

I have been a long time reader on RAWK, only recently signed up and up until now didn't feel I had anything particularly constructive to add, especially to the endless tedium that makes up most threads here. I was going to start a topic as I had just finished watching Choosing to Die, but happily came across this and I have to say I was fairly suprised yet happy to see that the general consensus was pro euthanasia and ultimately pro choice.

So to start off the main gist of my post, I thought I would add an article by Michael Wenham writing in the Guardian that perhaps goes against what I believe, to help start up the debate.

We have just had a visit from our old friends, Jill and Dan. They are a remarkable couple. She was left a paraplegic after a motorbike accident 52 years ago. What a dire prospect for an active girl still in her teens! But she went on to be married, despite family pressure, to Dan, who lived in the same village. She wanted to have a family, and it of course seemed she'd have to have a baby by Caesarean section. In fact she was the first paraplegic to have a natural birth, watched by doctors from around the world, and went on to have two more boys. After their first was born, Dan was told: "You know, paraplegics normally survive just 10 years."

As for Dan, when we first met him 22 years ago, he'd been diagnosed with leukaemia and given six months to live. Then a new consultant came who agreed to break the rule of no bone-marrow transplants for over 50s. It was a sensible rule on money and outcome grounds, but Dan was basically a fit man. So he was given the transplant and a few years later a leucocyte infusion. He's still, I believe, the oldest surviving man to have had the procedure. He's the one survivor of five at that time. Life's not been easy for them, and it isn't. But they are full of life and affection.

I couldn't help reflecting how different their, and therefore their family's – and indeed our own – life would have been if the brave new world of Dignitas and its promoters had arrived here in Britain. Jill, a keen horsewoman, unable to walk, let alone mount her horse; the young woman dreaming of having four children – dropped by her boyfriend, before linking up with Dan – having her dreams dashed. Can't you imagine her being depressed, wanting to end it all? "It's my life; what future have I got? It's my choice. I want to die, now." And then years later Dan being told: "We can't cure you. Within six months you'll be dead. It won't be very pleasant. But we can offer you this shortcut treatment, which will relieve all the suffering for you and the heartache for your family. But it's your choice." "What's that?" he asks. "Oh, only doctor-assisted suicide. It's easy and pain free." No pressure! How different and much poorer history would have been if the brave new world we saw promoted on BBC2 on Monday night were here.

Jill and Dan have had and continue to have a full life. They're fun to be with and they live busy, normal (one forgets how extraordinary it is living with Jill's disability, day in day out) lives. They actually enrich you in knowing them. I expect that they would say that, having determined to live, their experiences have enriched them. It might have been so different. But they trusted it would be well. What was it that Mick the cabbie said on last night's programme? "I decided to give it one more throw of the dice." For him the hospice had given him a new lease of life.

In truth, he wasn't the subject of Terry Pratchett's creative documentary, Choosing to Die, last night. It was, of course, carefully crafted and mildly poetic. We saw Alpine vistas, lakes and snow-scapes – vaguely like a travel brochure. We saw close-ups of emotional faces, even tears. We had the swelling strains of Elgar to mark the death of Andrew Colgan, a 42-year-old man with MS. And an inability to face the moment of death itself (about which I'm glad), although we had pretty much everything else around that. Despite Pratchett's resounding declaration: "I've been in the presence of the bravest man I've ever met," it left a bitter taste in my mouth as if we'd been served a cocktail of death disguised as an elixir of life.

I've been thinking about that accolade of "bravery" and it occurs to me that there was only superficial examination of motivation. There was an unchallenged assumption that MND (and MS) would lead to intolerable suffering and indignity. As I've observed in the past, that was one of my own early concerns – until an association visitor told me it needn't be the case. But one had the impression that Peter Smedley, who chose to end his life after being diagnosed with MND, wanted to avoid the later stages of the disease because he'd always been strong and in control. And actually he was afraid of losing control. Certainly someone I know with MS is terrified of "not being in charge". "I want to be able to choose," she says. And that, of course, is Pratchett's line: "My life, my death, my choice" – falsely premised though it is, for who chooses their life, who chooses to be born?

One might more charitably guess that both Smedley and Colgan wanted to spare their families the pain of caring for them and watching them through the latter stages of their lives. Yet this didn't appear to be their motive. Neither Smedley's wife nor Colgan's mother wanted their loved ones to take their own lives. They, it seemed, would have chosen to care for them to the end, as Pratchett's wife for him. In my view, the true badges of courage belong to the women who sacrificed their wishes and their instincts to their loved ones' demands. To be there to witness their unnecessary and undesired deaths, just for the sake of the other, that was real bravery. Gallantry awards are won by men and women who risk their lives for others. I don't think we saw that in the men last night. I think we saw people who were afraid of what might lie ahead for themselves and decided to face the lesser of two monsters.

And that, I believe, is the tragedy of the film and of the campaign that lies behind it. The repeated refrain, especially in the Newsnight discussion that followed, was "It's my choice", "It's his choice". There was a sort of pre-suicide litany: "Is this your choice? Do you understand what you're choosing? Do you want to take this mixture which will put you to sleep and kill you? Are you sure?" The resigned women in the end could only say: "It's his choice", "You must choose." How etiolated is that view of existence. My world, when all is said and done, is ME. My individual choice is sovereign. I want my kingdom. And the rest doesn't matter. The individual is the ace, trumping all else.

Well, that's a pretty impoverished world. In fact, interdependence is the secret of society. We are dependent on each other, and that's something for celebrating, not fearing, for embracing, not avoiding. Perhaps the city is an image of heaven because community is the heart of human existence. The best thing in life is to experience the extraordinary depth with which one can be loved. It's to discover the utter disinterestedness of those who love you, to find out when you can give nothing back, literally nothing but distasteful work and pain, they still want to look after you; they still care for you; yes, they still love you.

The tragedy of Peter Smedley and Andrew Colgan, it seems to me, is that they didn't trust themselves to the journey their loved ones wanted to travel with them – because if they had, the road might well have been rough, but they would have discovered, hand in hand with them, beauties of the human spirit few of us ever glimpse.

I'll also chuck in this from elsewhere...

Writing on the Christian Concern website, Michael Nazir-Ali [the retired Bishop of Rochester] said: "Real life is quite different from Sir Terry's science fiction ... The Judaeo-Christian tradition is a surer guide. 'Thou shalt not kill' is about acknowledging the gift and dignity of human life which, whether ours or another's, we do not have the competence to take."

Care not Killing's campaign director, Dr Peter Saunders said: "This latest move by the BBC is a disgraceful use of licence-payers' money and further evidence of a blatant campaigning stance. The corporation has now produced five documentaries or docudramas since 2008 portraying assisted suicide in a positive light. Where are the balancing programmes showing the benefits of palliative care, promoting investment on social support for vulnerable people or highlighting the great dangers of legalisation which have convinced parliaments in Australia, France, Canada, Scotland and the US to resist any change in the law in the last 12 months alone?"

Thankfully I’ve never been in a situation where someone I love has a terminal illness, I’m a relatively young man (25) and have those horrible experiences yet to come no doubt. However, I am I suppose extremely liberal in my views, and have always believed people have the right to choose, whether it be abortion, euthanasia or the use of illegal drugs for fun on a weekend. If you get right down to the core of it, for me, as long as you are not affecting others adversely (in the case of drug use for example), take other peoples considerations in to view and the general feeling is that its a good move then alls well.

I don’t think I am intelligent enough to fully enter in to the debate on the legalities of choice of death. But, Paxman asked Sir Pratchett if there should be a cut off age, and he replied simply “The age of consent”. Paxman replied with something about teens and a look of shock, but I’m with Terry on that. How can you put an age on it? If someone with MND is 18 or 80, what is the difference? I guess if it was medically proven that younger people get a longer time before the heavy onset of their disease kicks in, then that would have to be taken in to consideration but ultimately no matter how many moons you have seen you are in the same boat.

As usual I’ve rambled off on a tangent and haven’t even discussed the first article I quoted.  Although saying that and re-reading it again, maybe I should just dismiss it out of hand. I think the author seems to think that if this system were in our country, and you had been told you only had X amount of time to live, they would almost try and sell you the idea of euthanasia. I’m pretty certain this would not be the case, in fact I don’t think clinics of this natural should be in any way associated with places of health such as hospitals. As I said I can’t speak from personal experience, but if you had been told you had leukemia as his friend did, you wouldn’t rush in to a decision like assisted suicide without at first seeing how your body would react. If you were getting near to that X mark in time and still feeling good (or at least as well as could be reasonable to carry on living happily) your obviously not gonna call the last resort clinic. On the other hand if you start to rapidly go downhill, the option is there to take before things become extremely painful for yourself and your loved ones.

Andrews mother put it like this; “Should I have torn up the passport? But it would have been selfish and not loving. I don’t think like Andrew thinks. I always think tomorrows going to be another day... but ultimately we’re just going to have to get through it because we can’t bear to think of him lying in a bed in some of the conditions he could possibly end up in. It took a long long while to realise that the quality of life is unacceptable it doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks, its their decision and I think its their right.”

Peter Smedley and his wife Christine were a joy to watch and learn from (aside from the German gag!) and I have enormous amounts of respect for them for letting cameras document such a profound moment in their and at the end of one of their lives. I think ultimately dying with dignitity but ultimately happy with the choice that you and your loved ones have made and accepted is a far more preferable way to go.

RIP Peter Smedley & Andrew Colgan.

YNWA

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 02:45:27 am »
On a side note, and this has no way influenced my views on this particular argument, but I believe Terry Pratchett to be one of the finest authors alive today, and one of the best this country has ever produced. It is a great shame that all good things must come to an end. If you not have read any of his books, I would suggest you do so, and immediately.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 02:32:14 pm »
That's a pretty great first post, welcome out of the shadows schwindlig. I think the articles make great points, but it's all a whatif scenario, while the the two people in the first article are very brave and a great inspiration for people that want to fight on, I think the writer underestimates how low someone can actually get, and how long do we let someone suffer in the hope that they 'may' get over it (either physically or pyschologically) how long do we say someone has to suffer for before we say that's long enough? or do we let it go on indefinitely, not knowing whether they will come out of it.

Don't get me wrong I believe that anyone given the right tools can lead a productive and successful life, it's whether said person has the strength or will to go through that. It's ultimately up to the patient I feel and unless you're actually in the position where you yourself feel so bereft of the quality of life that you don't want to go on (it's not as if people come to this decision on a whim) then I think it's churlish to dismiss, although arguably true, their problem's as things which will eventually provide this greater human understanding.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts