Author Topic: RIP Andrew Devine  (Read 18199 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Andrew Devine
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2021, 02:32:15 am »
RIP Andrew.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2021, 02:34:40 am »
RIP Andrew

YNWA JFT 97
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2021, 03:51:00 am »
Tony Evans can answer that...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/andrew-devine-hillsborough-disaster-liverpool-b1893143.html

Wonderful piece of writing. I hope you don't mind me posting it in full.

Andrew Devine was a happy, vibrant 22-year-old when he went to the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on 15 April 1989. He was just another football fan.

On Tuesday he died, the result of injuries sustained on that awful day 32 years ago. The coroner ruled that he is the 97th victim of the disaster, another name added to the tally of those who were unlawfully killed on the Leppings Lane in Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough stadium.

The young man’s chest was crushed so badly that he could not breathe. His brain was starved of oxygen. He was not expected to survive. But he did: confined to a wheelchair, unable to speak, able only to eat puréed food.

Supported by a loving family, he lived long enough to be failed completely by the justice system. In May, the last criminal trial connected with the Hillsborough disaster collapsed. No one will ever be held accountable.

Five years ago, the longest inquest in British history detailed the chain of events that led to mass death on the terraces with stomach-churning clarity. Despite this, none of those responsible were brought to account. Just one individual was convicted of an offence related to the unlawful killings of 97 people. Graham Mackrell, the safety officer at Sheffield Wednesday’s ground at the time, was fined £6,500 for failing to ensure there were enough turnstiles available.

While Devine sat in his wheelchair, stripped of his chance of a normal, fulfilling existence, the men whose task it was to protect him and ensure his safety continued with their lives. There were consequences, but they were relatively minor.

David Duckenfield, the match commander, retired from the South Yorkshire Police two years later at the age of 46 on an index-linked pension worth £23,000. He made the catastrophic decision to open the exterior gates so fans flooded in instead of gradually arriving through the turnstiles. He also ignored the build-up of supporters in the central pens although it was clear they were dangerously overcrowded and the terraces on the wings were sparsely populated by comparison. Duckenfield lied about his decision to order the gate opened and blamed fans.

Devine was able to do nothing without the help of his family – washing, feeding, going to the toilet. Meanwhile, Duckenfield moved to Dorset and played a lot of golf. At the inquests he said: “On the day, I was traumatised and, like many things in life, you only remember the good days, and sometimes sadly and unfortunately, you bury the bad.”

The man who made the fatal decision could afford to be forgetful. The families could not. They had to bury their dead.

Duckenfield was acquitted on charges of gross negligence manslaughter almost two years ago. The trial judge allowed the defendant to sit with his lawyers rather than in the dock and told the jury that Duckenfield could not give evidence because he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Sir Peter Openshaw also explained to the jurors not to infer anything from the retired policeman’s demeanour. “My prediction is that Mr Duckenfield will show no emotion at all [to evidence], because he has not shown any physical reaction at all throughout the trial.

“You may have noticed that and you may have thought it strange, or even odd, but there may be a medical explanation… He has a resilient, passive and expressionless external presentation which gives no indication of his state of mind so don't draw an adverse inference against him.”

Devine was resilient but could not be anything other than passive. His injuries – which should have been avoided if Duckenfield had done his job properly – were so severe.

The jury might have inferred from Duckenfield’s evidence at the inquests – where he admitted to lying about the opening of the gate – that his guilt was clear but Openshaw said previous findings were “quite irrelevant”. So it was back to the golf course for Duckenfield.

And what of Sir Norman Bettison, the man who did so much to push the narrative that the disaster was the fault of fans like Devine? Bettison led the South Yorkshire Police review group and narrated a 30-minute film that repeated the lies about ticketless supporters, drunken behaviour and illegal entry into the ground. The masterpiece of newspeak was shown to MPs at Westminster.

As the Devine family adjusted to their new life, where everything was centred around caring for Andrew, Bettison’s trajectory soared. He became chief constable of Merseyside Police in 1998, was made an honorary fellow of Liverpool John Moores University six years later and was knighted in 2006. He resigned from the police after the Hillsborough Independent Panel outlined his role in the aftermath of the disaster in 2012 on a pension of £83,000. He was charged with offences relating to the cover-up but the case was dropped. He published a self-serving book about Hillsborough. All in all, life is pretty comfortable for Sir Norman.

It was never comfortable for the Devines. Or many others. The impact of Hillsborough was clear on Andrew. He was profoundly disabled. The physical scars of the day were apparent. For other survivors less so.

The psychological trauma of the day is as far reaching as any recognisable bodily injury. Andrew Devine was far from the 97th victim of Hillsborough.

On Merseyside and beyond there have been a slew of deaths connected with the tragedy. For some the link is obvious. Stephen Whittle, from Greater Manchester, had work commitments on that spring day in 1989. He sold his ticket to a friend, who died in the Leppings Lane. A decade ago, tormented by guilt, he stepped in front of a train.

The hidden cost of Hillsborough is incalculable. There have been dozens of suicides and many, many untimely deaths as a result of self-destructive behaviour brought about by PTSD. At funerals there is a common mantra: “They were never the same after Hillsborough.”

None of the survivors were.

Duckenfield and Bettison were not alone in getting off lightly. Dozens of policemen and other public servants who failed in their duty have escaped the consequences. They have Andrew Devine’s blood on their hands. It is not enough to say “rest in peace”. No one can rest until justice is done. That hope died long before Andrew.

RIP Andrew. YNWA.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:53:19 am by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2021, 09:33:15 am »
Really hard-hitting article that by Tony Evans.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2021, 09:55:41 am »
🔥JFT97🔥

R.I.P Andrew

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2021, 10:05:53 am »
RIP JFT97

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2021, 12:54:43 pm »
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1421055128975650824

Our U23, U18 and U16 squads and staff paid tribute to Andrew Devine this morning by observing a period of silence.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:25 pm »

Can't look at this without tearing up  :'(

R.I.P Andrew; you never walked alone in this life, and you certainly won't in the next.

JFT97
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2021, 03:57:19 pm »
That's heart-breaking and a wonderful tribute.....well played Alan.

Offline philippe

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RIP Andrew Devine
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2021, 11:06:01 pm »
R.I.P. Andrew
YNWA
Justice for the 97

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2021, 11:52:59 pm »
My thoughts are with Andrew Devine’s friends & family.

Tony Evans has been spot on in his coverage this week.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #91 on: August 2, 2021, 01:36:43 am »
Tragic, not going to say what I feel about the scum who let this happen, Tony Evans' article sums it up for me

RIP Andrew Device

JFT97
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 2, 2021, 04:35:41 am »
Desperately sad news. What a fighter he was. RIP Andrew

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: August 2, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »
If they gave him six months, and he lived for over 30 years more, that is something special.

Rest in Peace.

Justice for the 97!

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 4, 2021, 11:36:56 am »
What a fighter you were, Andrew. RIP.

But it's more than 97, isn't it?

And the man who helped push the lie was subsequently rewarded with a top job in the city of Liverpool and given laurels by a university in Liverpool?

Unbelievable.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #95 on: August 5, 2021, 10:50:10 am »
Liverpool Football Club will pay tribute to Andrew Devine, the 97th person unlawfully killed as a result of the Hillsborough disaster, ahead of the Reds' first Premier League home game on Saturday August 21.

A lifelong supporter of the club, Andrew passed away recently at the age of 55. Despite sustaining life-changing injuries at Hillsborough, he continued to attend matches at Anfield when possible.

In recognition of his passing, a minute’s silence will take place ahead of kick-off at our Premier League fixture against Burnley at Anfield to allow supporters, players and staff to come together to pay their respects. A special Kop mosaic will also be displayed, which will feature the Eternal Flames with the number 97.

LFC will also be reviewing its current 96 emblems with plans to change them to 97 in memory of Andrew. This will include the emblems on the backs of the playing shirts, although it is not possible to change them for the 2021-22 campaign at this point.

Andrew’s name will also be etched on the Hillsborough Memorial at Anfield alongside the 96.

Liverpool Football Club’s thoughts continue to be with the Devine family and all those affected by the Hillsborough disaster.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #96 on: August 5, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
Superb.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 5, 2021, 02:38:45 pm »
I'm sure the club have sought approval from Andrew's family before this announcement and it's absolutely the right thing to do. JFT97.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 10:29:36 pm by Boaty McBoatface »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #98 on: August 5, 2021, 10:25:08 pm »
A wonderful tribute to someone who displayed immense bravery and f9ght over the past 32 years. Hopefully the updated memorial will serve as a reminder of how the victims and their families have been failed by the system.

YNWA Andrew Devine
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #99 on: August 6, 2021, 12:25:19 am »
RIP Andrew. You will be remembered.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2021, 04:11:13 pm »
LFC conducts final preparations for Andrew Devine tribute

Ahead of Liverpool’s first Premier League home game of the season this weekend, the club will be remembering Andrew Devine, the 97th person unlawfully killed as a result of the Hillsborough disaster.

Andrew, a lifelong supporter of the club, sadly passed away in July at the age of 55 as a result of the life-changing injuries he sustained at Hillsborough. 

In recognition of his passing and in consultation with Andrew’s family, the club will hold a minute’s silence ahead of kick-off of the match against Burnley at Anfield on Saturday to allow supporters, players and staff to pay their respects. 

Fans on the Kop will also display a special tribute mosaic, which will feature the Eternal Flames with the number 97. 

Outside of the stadium, 96 Avenue has been renamed 97 Avenue, with the new signage in place ahead of the weekend’s game. Updates to the club’s website have been finalised this week, with the 97 emblem featuring across LFC's digital channels. Arrangements have also commenced for Andrew’s name be etched onto the Hillsborough Memorial at Anfield alongside the 96, although this will take some time to complete.

For the 2022-23 season, the club's playing shirts will also be updated with the 97 emblem featuring on the nape of neck on the new jerseys.

Liverpool Football Club continues to be in close contact with the Devine family and our thoughts remain with their loved ones and all those affected by the Hillsborough disaster. 

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2021, 04:23:25 pm »

Nice to see the club move so fast on this.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2021, 04:27:00 pm »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2021, 10:46:29 am »
         97 Avenue

An Avenue with a change of name.
Back in the news, The Leppings Lane.
It's now 97 Avenue in Liverpool 4.
Another tragic death against the law.
One more life needlessly taken away.
For one more family, a time to pray.
More blood been spilt on guilty hands.
An updated song from Anfield Stands.
Our tribute flags need changing too.
One more apology I think is due.
60 more seconds with heads bowed.
One more missing face from the crowd
One more anniversary bell to chime.
Forever rest in peace, Andrew Devine.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:04:19 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2021, 10:48:51 am »
That's absolutely brilliant Mike. Heartbreakingly superb.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2021, 05:57:29 pm »
That's absolutely brilliant Mike. Heartbreakingly superb.

Cheers mate...that article by Tony Evans is an excellent piece. It's so fitting how and wholly appropriate how the Club have moved quickly to remember and pay tribute to Andrew. Such a tragic story this.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:44 pm »
         97 Avenue

An Avenue with a change of name.
Back in the news, The Leppings Lane.
It's now 97 Avenue in Liverpool 4.
Another tragic death against the law.
One more life needlessly taken away.
For one more family, a time to pray.
More blood been spilt on guilty hands.
An updated song from Anfield Stands.
Our tribute flags need changing too.
One more apology I think is due.
60 more seconds with heads bowed.
One more missing face from the crowd
One more anniversary bell to chime.
Forever rest in peace, Andrew Devine.
On it.

Boss poem laaaaaa!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2022, 04:20:58 pm »

RIP. JFT97.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2022, 08:24:00 am »
Thanks for that Ray.
I'll move this to the memorial board otherwise it will drift right down this one.

RIP Andrew.