Author Topic: 30 years of SONIC YOUTH 1981-2011  (Read 6932 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 30 years of SONIC YOUTH 1981-2011
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 11:24:04 pm »
partly because of the discussion recently, I ordered a couple of Sonic Youth Books: Kim Gordon's memoirs in ''Girl In a Band', and  the "20th Century" one. Leant into Kim Gordons so far, as I knew I would do.

Bad Moon Rising; I would have heard a few tracks maybe, a few tracks of their other earlier stuff, when I was younger (16?) and it would have gone over my head. I was a Kinks fan at that age, and finding out about bands like the Buttholes, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies etc, and getting into that. It's not an LP that you can listen to in any casual way is it? You have to fucking stick it up there with the volume button. You get release from doing that, and it's so rewarding. Two or three tracks just hold all that mind meld together beautifully.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 1, 2015, 01:08:08 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DeQDRhidNnY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DeQDRhidNnY</a>

Comon get in the car
Lets go for a ride somewhere
I won't hurt you
You make me feel so crazy

and various versions, of 'come on get in the car'. Tell me a band that did what Sonic Youth did with just that very line? Whole bloody thing is fantastic.

Perversely violent, and just sweet as childhood at the very same time. Brilliant band.

3 fucking one, fuck off.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »
I have neglected Sonic Youth and I had forgotten all about 'Sister'. Thanks for the bump, Rob. :wave

I've listened to 'Sister' about six times today; I don't think I've done that since I was nineteen. It's an incredible record, pivotal stuff, I'd say.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:53 am »
I've listened to 'Sister' about six times today; I don't think I've done that since I was nineteen. It's an incredible record, pivotal stuff, I'd say.

Such meat on its angelic ankles.

(He gaily said)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 07:59:37 am »
... and it's 30 years ago today that Sonic Youth released Daydream Nation, possibly their greatest album. Yesterday, they released a restored version of the video to Teenage Riot.

Would love to see a list of everyone who makes an appearance in the video, there are dozens.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6VHVn2k53PA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6VHVn2k53PA</a>

Happy Birthday.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 09:20:30 am »
... and it's 30 years ago today that Sonic Youth released Daydream Nation, possibly their greatest album. Yesterday, they released a restored version of the video to Teenage Riot.

Would love to see a list of everyone who makes an appearance in the video, there are dozens.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6VHVn2k53PA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6VHVn2k53PA</a>

Happy Birthday.

HBSY

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 10:15:58 am »
 'Sonic Middle Age' ..good tribute band name... as most fans now..... ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2020, 12:16:05 am »
Oh fuck.

https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/album/perspectives-musicales-live-at-cats-cradle-2000

edit: this is seriously insane. Got to promise yourselves to listen to it one day. Fucking loud too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:21:03 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:52 pm »
Oh fuck.

https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/album/perspectives-musicales-live-at-cats-cradle-2000

edit: this is seriously insane. Got to promise yourselves to listen to it one day. Fucking loud too.

Going in again.  This is NYC Ghosts and Flowers period Sonic Youth and it's beautiful.

blurb:

Mid-July, 2000, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In and around town in all of the various places where Cat's Cradle shows were promoted some 8.5"x11" fliers started popping up advertising an evening billed as "SYR Records Presents: Perspectives Musicales." Huh? The questions started up - "Sonic Youth just played in Raleigh in late June - it couldn't be them again could it? Is this some sort of showcase, albeit for a label that only releases Sonic Youth material? Aren't they on tour with Pearl Jam or something?" All I knew was that for $12 and a Saturday show was that I was *in,* regardless of what the set turned out to be.

Those two-ish weeks between the show's announcement and the actual day were pretty suspenseful. Checking the Pearl Jam / Sonic Youth tour itinerary had revealed that the "Perspectives Musicales" night was actually an off night *and* in North Carolina. It seemed pretty likely that it was going to be a Sonic Youth set, leaving the mystery then as what kind? Similar to the June show? All improv? (Admittedly, my fantasy.) Something else entirely?

The night arrived and, well, as you'll quickly be able to tell from this recording, it was pretty special and fun. Freewheeling and loose, the first set was constantly rotating, each portion something that a dyed-in-the-wool Sonic Youth (and related) fan would want to see. The magic was that you were getting to see each of these portions all back-to-back-to-back in real time. "Psychic Hearts"? Sure! "Mote" solo? You've got it! Improvised film scores? Yes, please! A sneak peak at Kim's not-yet-released SYR5? Got you covered. Thurston running through instrumental 12 string acoustic demo-style takes of tracks that would later appear on "Murray Street"? Jackpot! The crazy thing was that this special hour-ish went by quickly and then was followed by a full-on, ripping SY set. As the final notes of "100%" closed out the night, everyone in the audience knew they had seen something special.

I'm sitting here typing this, somewhat in disbelief that this show was right at 20 years ago. It is one of those things that formed memories so pleasant and vivid that it still kind of seems like it was yesterday. Relive it with me, won't you?

-Cory Rayborn, June 2020
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:08:36 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2020, 10:47:53 pm »
Going in again.  This is NYC Ghosts and Flowers period Sonic Youth and it's beautiful.

3rd time...

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2021, 09:18:54 am »
This is brilliant footage

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6vvL5KrEox4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6vvL5KrEox4</a>

(Happy 33rd to Daydream Nation this weekend)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 4, 2023, 09:27:15 pm »
https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-brooklyn-2011-2

Copied and pasted: On August 12, 2011 Sonic Youth played their final US show on an outdoor stage overlooking the East River at the Williamsburg Waterfront in Brooklyn. Fitting that their storied career would bookend with a panoramic view of New York City where it all began 30 years before, having left in their wake one of one of the most powerfully influential careers in rock music.

Following incredible sets from Kurt Vile and Wild Flag, the band took the stage. As the sun went down over the city, Sonic Youth ripped through a 17 song set that spanned from deep cuts off their first studio album and highlighting many other albums all the way through to their last, like a band with everything to prove. Or as Brooklyn Vegan’s Andrew Sacher said at the time: “While most bands who are thirty years into their career are either fading away or living off of the nostalgia of their older material, Sonic Youth continue to sound and perform as fresh as ever.”

Steve Shelley explains the uniquely career spanning set list of Live in Brooklyn 2011 and how it came to be, as well as the importance of outdoor NYC summer shows in Sonic Youth’s legacy:

“This show was a culmination of a run of really special outdoor summertime shows in New York City for us, starting in ’92 with Summerstage in Central Park when we played with Sun Ra. For the Williamsburg Waterfront show I wrote out the set list to present to the band and it was a lot of material we hadn’t played in a while, a lot of deep cuts, so I wasn’t sure if everybody would feel like doing it. After worrying about which songs the band might say yes or no to, I threw those concerns out the window and I just made a list of songs that I thought would be a great set. We practiced the week of the show at our space in Hoboken and put the set together. First we’d try and make sure we had a guitar in the song’s tuning, then we’d try to remember the arrangement and try and put it together, sometimes re-learning bar by bar. In the end I think the whole song list made it through. Even as early as ’86 and ’87 we stopped playing ‘Death Valley 69’ and ‘Brave Men Run’ with any regularity. We’d just get excited about new material coming into the set and songs would get ‘retired’ and wouldn’t get played again for years. So on this particular night in Brooklyn a lot of those retired songs and deep cuts got dusted off and played for this show. It turned out to be a pretty special event with a really special song list.”

The band would go on to fulfill a contracted festival run in South America a few months later but, by then, the group’s center was severed beyond repair and the festival appearances didn’t hold the same kind of weight.

“The stage was facing the East River from the Williamsburg, Brooklyn waterfront, and I recall the sun going down in the west during our set. It was a pretty magical, if kinda weird day. Fitting, somehow, that our ‘last show’ should be in New York City, our home and where it all began…” Lee Ranaldo

The Williamsburg Waterfront show would fondly become referred to as ‘The Last Show’ by fans and band alike, equally for its triumphant high energy performance, its unique and expansive set list and locale.

Newly remixed and remastered, Live in Brooklyn 2011 is presented for the first time on 2xLP, 2xCD and 2xTape on Silver Current Records and digitally on Goofin,’ August 18, 2023.

released August 18, 2023

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 5, 2023, 10:47:11 am »
Daydream Nation, still one of my favourite albums.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: September 5, 2023, 10:58:05 am »
https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-brooklyn-2011-2

Steve Shelley explains the uniquely career spanning set list of Live in Brooklyn 2011 and how it came to be, as well as the importance of outdoor NYC summer shows in Sonic Youth’s legacy:

“This show was a culmination of a run of really special outdoor summertime shows in New York City for us, starting in ’92 with Summerstage in Central Park when we played with Sun Ra. For the Williamsburg Waterfront show I wrote out the set list to present to the band and it was a lot of material we hadn’t played in a while, a lot of deep cuts, so I wasn’t sure if everybody would feel like doing it. After worrying about which songs the band might say yes or no to, I threw those concerns out the window and I just made a list of songs that I thought would be a great set. We practiced the week of the show at our space in Hoboken and put the set together. First we’d try and make sure we had a guitar in the song’s tuning, then we’d try to remember the arrangement and try and put it together, sometimes re-learning bar by bar. In the end I think the whole song list made it through. Even as early as ’86 and ’87 we stopped playing ‘Death Valley 69’ and ‘Brave Men Run’ with any regularity. We’d just get excited about new material coming into the set and songs would get ‘retired’ and wouldn’t get played again for years. So on this particular night in Brooklyn a lot of those retired songs and deep cuts got dusted off and played for this show. It turned out to be a pretty special event with a really special song list.”

The band would go on to fulfill a contracted festival run in South America a few months later but, by then, the group’s center was severed beyond repair and the festival appearances didn’t hold the same kind of weight.

“The stage was facing the East River from the Williamsburg, Brooklyn waterfront, and I recall the sun going down in the west during our set. It was a pretty magical, if kinda weird day. Fitting, somehow, that our ‘last show’ should be in New York City, our home and where it all began…” Lee Ranaldo

The Williamsburg Waterfront show would fondly become referred to as ‘The Last Show’ by fans and band alike, equally for its triumphant high energy performance, its unique and expansive set list and locale.

Newly remixed and remastered, Live in Brooklyn 2011 is presented for the first time on 2xLP, 2xCD and 2xTape on Silver Current Records and digitally on Goofin,’ August 18, 2023.

released August 18, 2023

I'll try find the part of Kim's book where she talks about this gig and post it later. It's mad how unhappy and what she was going through during all this.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #54 on: September 5, 2023, 11:04:04 am »
Sonic Youth are a band I feel like I should really like but I can just never get into their stuff.  Trying Daydream Nation again today.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 5, 2023, 11:21:35 pm »
I'll try find the part of Kim's book where she talks about this gig and post it later. It's mad how unhappy and what she was going through during all this.

Shit yes... i remember that now too. I wondered if it was the same gig...