Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 25159 times)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: The Smiths
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »
What possessed them to license 'Please please please let me get what I want' for the M&S advert. Is money that tight?  :-\

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 2, 2011, 11:58:44 pm »
What possessed them to license 'Please please please let me get what I want' for the M&S advert. Is money that tight?  :-\

Yeah, that was an odd one wasn't it? Somehow felt that your childhood spat in your face. Interestingly, the marketing manager of John Lewis, suggested that they were aiming at their prime target age group of 45-55, which I gladly fall under - tho I'd somehow suggest that maybe they take on board the under 40's or something. I sometimes go to John Lewis, and I walk around and I never see anything that I want to buy (except a small hand held vacuum cleaner once, which did look lovely), but surely there's room for growth.

I thought the ad was a nice twist tho, in the way that nice twists are horrible and you want to kill someone. I love giving. But it does sodomize my head thru an ear.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #122 on: December 3, 2011, 12:28:50 am »
I like the way that advert is shot, actually.  But that cover is really awful.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #123 on: December 3, 2011, 01:20:01 am »
I like the Ad.

Aren't they just piggy backing on the John Lewis ad' from last year with Elton Johns song?.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #124 on: January 9, 2012, 02:02:32 am »
Had this stuck in my head the past few days, Marr's guitar has such a great washed-out sound in this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgNfTx9pGzA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RgNfTx9pGzA</a>

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 9, 2012, 03:53:01 am »
I cringe every time I see that John Lewis advert. Such a sad but beautiful song used to advertise a fucking department store. For shame. Also the cover is shit.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #126 on: January 9, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
I cringe every time I see that John Lewis advert. Such a sad but beautiful song used to advertise a fucking department store. For shame. Also the cover is shit.

Me too. I wonder if Messrs. Morrissey and Marr are cringing at the royalty cheques? They must have given approval somewhere up the line for this travesty.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #127 on: January 9, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »
Me too. I wonder if Messrs. Morrissey and Marr are cringing at the royalty cheques? They must have given approval somewhere up the line for this travesty.
As CD sales dry up its inevitable you'll see more band reunions and whoring out of back catalogue as well. Doesn't make it right, but they have to maintain their lifestyles some how

Had this stuck in my head the past few days, Marr's guitar has such a great washed-out sound in this
One of more favourite Marr performances for sure, the arpeggios the lushes chords its all there

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
Great news! Morrissey and Robbie Keane are realated

Mozzer writes

It was a joyous head-storm to attend LA Galaxy -v- Club Tijuana last night and to see captain Robbie Keane score in the fourth minute. Why, exactly?
Well, family tree aficionados will be aware that Robbie and I share the same Irish blood; his late grandfather (Thomas Nolan) being my own father's cousin. In filial terms the Irish blood, English heart genetic between Robbie and I is evident - his chin is my chin, my chin is his. Robbie was raised on Captains Road (as was my mother) in Crumlin (Dublin), before he was shipped out to Tallaght. He is a gentleman of the highest caliber (or, if you must, calibre), and to watch him on the pitch - pacing like a lion, as weightless as an astronaut, is pure therapy. Robbie, the pleasure, the privilege is mine.

Morrissey
20 February 2013
Los Angeles

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »

Mozzer writes

In other news Robbie has announced that he was a boyhood Morrissey fan and meeting his hero was a dream come true.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2013, 02:51:04 pm »
"There'll never be a Keaner, window cleaner..."
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
In other news Robbie has announced that he was a boyhood Morrissey fan and meeting his hero was a dream come true.
First thing a fella at work said back to me ;D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »
Morrissey looking like Robbie Williams in a few years there.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2013, 03:27:17 pm »
I thought it was a picture of Morrissey with an unidentified fan.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:51 pm »
I thought it was a picture of Morrissey with an unidentified fan.

Heh.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 6, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »
So I've just downloaded Hatful of Hollow

:shocked

I sometimes think is it worth looking into new music when I find myself constantly going back and downloading music from decades ago that I've been missing out on.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: August 6, 2013, 07:55:28 pm »
For me it's the best album in the smiths cannon.

Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #137 on: August 6, 2013, 08:29:53 pm »
Meat Is Murder for me....every note, every line is perfect...

the opening, ringing bars of 'Headmaster Rital' that opened the album still gives me neckhair erection...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #138 on: August 6, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »
For me it's the best album in the smiths cannon.
Not really a proper album though is it.

Came to the conclusion recently that "The Queen is Dead" is defiantly my favourite. It has been a straight shoot out between it and "Meat is Murder" for years. "Cemetry Gates"  "Bigmouth Strikes Again"  and "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" sit beside each other on the record which is a ridiculous hatrick of songs plonked in the middle of the album. I think Iv never listened to a song in my life as much as "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" and I'm still not sick of it.

The album also charts brilliant highs and lows from the hilarious "Oh give us your money" line at the end of "Cemetery Gates" to "I Know Its Over" where lines like "If you're so clever then why are you alone tonight" can strip you to your very core in that incredibly straight forward manner only Morrissey can do with such caustic results. Its a record for me that has everything even great drumming and bass playing along with Morrissey and Marr's genius. The pleasure the privilege is always mine.

the opening, ringing bars of 'Headmaster Rital' that opened the album still gives me neckhair erection...
Top five Marr arpeggio's for sure!

"Belligerent goons run Manchester school......"

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #139 on: August 6, 2013, 08:56:48 pm »
Splitting hairs on what's the best when there's not much to split between them all. The lyrics and the musicianship on all are top drawer.

For me  despite HOH being a collection of sessions it's the attitude of the way they play , we're The Smiths and we fuckin rock being the attitude that comes across.

Sound of a band knowing they've got the tunes and are miles ahead of the competition.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 7, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »

"Belligerent goons run Manchester school......"

I thought it was 'belligerent ghouls'?

Was watching This Is England 88 last night and they made good use of This Charming Man.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 7, 2013, 01:12:20 pm »

It is.

Shame on you Kerrykop.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #142 on: August 7, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »

Was watching This Is England 88 last night and they made good use of This Charming Man.

It is 'ghouls'.

I'm into The Smiths in a big, big way. About 5 or 6 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke doing a gig in the old Quiggins. Got both to sign my Queen is Dead LP and T shirt. Joyce is a top bloke.

What do others make of Morrissey/Marr's solo versions of Smiths tunes?
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 7, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »
The Smiths is my favourite, as a whole album. Favourite song of theirs is on Meat is Murder though.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #144 on: August 7, 2013, 02:24:29 pm »
It is.

Shame on you Kerrykop.
I feel so ashamed I want to cry...

I've also made another error on this page, extra points to the big noes who knows and gets it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #145 on: August 7, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »
I feel so ashamed I want to cry...

I've also made another error on this page, extra points to the big noes who knows and gets it.

Wrong song for the money line, yo.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:01 am »
The Queen is Dead is named the best album of all time by NME

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/73363
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2013, 01:12:09 pm »
The Queen is Dead is my favourite proper album, but I probably prefer Hatful. Just love it. There's several songs on there that I go back and forth between thinking are my favourite Smiths' tracks. Reel around the Fountain, How Soon is Now, Accept Yourself, Back to the Old House etc.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »

Mozzer writes

Didn't know Keane had 2 spines.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2013, 04:58:05 pm »
RE: The the Keane/Morrissey photo.

This must piss Joey Barton off to thee highest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »
The Queen is Dead is an absolutely cracking album, always has been. And I say that because fashions change and music journalists change, but Queen Is Dead was an immense thing when it came out. Looking thru the top 10 lists of the various people writing for the NME tho, was a saddening experience I have to say - was just left feeling... slumped.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »
Didn't know Keane had 2 spines.

I didn't know he had one.

WAYYYYYY, SEEWHATIDIDTHERE EH? WAYYYY OOAREYER OOAREYER

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »
I didn't know he had one.

WAYYYYYY, SEEWHATIDIDTHERE EH? WAYYYY OOAREYER OOAREYER

Haha
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #153 on: March 8, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »
Less than 4 pages in 8 years but we can write 30 in a couple of days about an irate Alan fuming Pardew!

Oh the humanity! :o

I have a terrible habit of getting a song stuck in my head all day, especially if I'm tired, and it annoying the fuck out of me from dawn till dusk. Today though, A Charming Man, has been rattling about upstairs and it's made my day far more bearable 8)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #154 on: March 8, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
Less than 4 pages in 8 years but we can write 30 in a couple of days about an irate Alan fuming Pardew!

I have a terrible habit of getting a song stuck in my head all day, especially if I'm tired, and it annoying the fuck out of me from dawn till dusk. Today though, A Charming Man, has been rattling about upstairs and it's made my day far more bearable 8)

"This Charming Man" is indeed a lovely song, but thinking it will solve your mental problems is absurd  :P But that is funny about the Pardew fewm haha the absolute cock womble.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 8, 2016, 04:50:20 pm »

:wave

Em....

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #156 on: March 8, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »
i was a late bloomer as far as smiths appreciation is concerned, but at their best they are up there with the very greatest bands ever.  the simplest praise you can give them is that the music hasn't dated at all (so, so rare for 80s artists).

i've had 'half a person' rattling round my head for the past fortnight after it triggered a weird deja vu experience in me.  it sounded instantly familiar but it's not a song i'd ever actually listened to.  great tune though :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #157 on: March 8, 2016, 06:13:01 pm »
A dreaded sunny day...

When it comes to the music I won't be able to add anything that hasn't been said already in this thread. All I'll add is that I recommend reading Morrissey's autobiography (called..."Autobiography") and his short novel List of the Lost.

Autobiography is perhaps a little too long and goes into various fallings out in pretty meticulous detail, but at times it's incredibly well written. Morrissey has always had a way with words, and if you enjoy his lyrics you'll enjoy parts of this. The opening few pages are amongst my favourite pieces of writing.

List of the Lost got absolutely slated, but I'm convinced the slating was done by people who saw the author's name and leapt at the chance to get in some humorous jibes, without actually reading it. A simple, but unique premise and an atmosphere you can't quite put your finger on. I read a lot of novels, so I was glad to see someone try something a little different. I don't understand the vitriol it attracted, especially when you consider some of the other titles written (and I use that term loosely) by famous names.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #158 on: March 8, 2016, 06:24:41 pm »
List of the Lost got absolutely slated, but I'm convinced the slating was done by people who saw the author's name and leapt at the chance to get in some humorous jibes, without actually reading it. A simple, but unique premise and an atmosphere you can't quite put your finger on. I read a lot of novels, so I was glad to see someone try something a little different. I don't understand the vitriol it attracted, especially when you consider some of the other titles written (and I use that term loosely) by famous names.

I agree with you regarding Autobiography. Morrissey has been one of my musical idols for over thirty years. List Of The Lost is unreadable, verging on illiterate. Despite several loyal attempts, I have never got beyond the first few pages. I take no pleasure in saying that it is absolutely awful, and one of the few books that I've have started and not finished. I think there were a handful of people who wished him ill, but there were many more who were massively disappointed by such a self indulgent piece of work.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #159 on: March 8, 2016, 06:59:22 pm »
Morrissey and myself fell out a long time ago..
FAME makes a man take things over