Author Topic: Rafa the Rotator  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Rafa the Rotator
« on: June 16, 2004, 06:59:09 pm »
At long last the wait is over, and we have our man. And he is the right man: a winner who wants nothing but success. He has made no silly promises, other than to do the right things and see where it takes us; knowing that it will be a long way if the commitment matches the talent. He knows what he wants, and you can just sense that will be a very strong leader. I repeat that he faces an enormous challenge, but if anyone is up that challenge, it is Benitez.

I think he'll be perfect for us; he seems to understand what's required. I still have some doubts that all of his methods will work the wonders they did in La Liga - in his press conference he touched upon my fears when he said he made Valencia more focused and gave them a greater team-ethic than Real Madrid and Barcelona; Rafa acknowledged that Liverpool already has some of that; unlike Valencia when he arrived there, we are not lacking in that department. English football tends to involve better team spirit than the continent, so if you add that to great players, you will stand a chance. That's precisely what he did in Spain, to phenomenal effect (we just need a few more good players). So while it's encouraging that he believes so totally in team spirit (and he just needs to look at how Arsenal celebrate goals to see it is already in evidence in England), and also totally appreciates the English mentality (he is not coming here to play airy-fairy football with no basis in the reality of hard word and getting 'stuck in'), it will be in other areas we can hope he improves us.

Having said that, for all the great team spirit under GH (remember the huddles?), maybe it wasn't as strong lately; somehow it reached its zenith when GH had his heart problems, and maybe the team - from thinking he was superhuman - suddenly realised GH and a few of his methods were flawed (not wishing to sound too negative about Houllier, as he did lots right; but this is about improving the areas where he fell short). So maybe Rafa will need to re-ignite that collective will to win. After all, it must have been hard for the top Liverpool players to feel united with their colleagues when too many of them weren't putting in the same effort. At times only half the team appeared fit to wear the red shirt; Rafa will have to infuse the other half with the same desire to win, or set about replacing them. In reality, it will be a mix of both: some will stay and improve, others will be shown the door.

One main benefit we'll surely enjoy is that Rafa favours width, and you have to say that all the best sides do: maybe not solely from wingers, but from somewhere : Arsenal get theirs from Cole (a winger-turned-full-back) and Thierry Henry drifting to the left. Man United's best teams of the 1990s had Kanchelskis and Giggs as wingmen, and Beckham staying wide on the right to deliver crosses. It's about using the width of the pitch to stretch teams, and then you can pass around them more easily; Anfield is not a big pitch, so you need to open it out a bit to break packed defences down. For too long under GH the full-backs stayed back, and the wide midfielders wandered infield. There's nothing wrong with Harry Kewell doing that, for example - Robert Pires does it to devastating effect for Arsenal - but he was the only real wide-man in the squad.

Benitez also likes to rotate his players, although one or two escaped being left out (the Spain left winger Vicente, for example). I am not a huge fan of rotation, as you can lose team cohesion; but there was not enough cohesion under Houllier for my liking even without rotation - the understanding wasn't evident, however you looked at it. A small-to-medium amount of rotation can work well. In 2000/01, GH rotated most of the attacking players (strikers and midfielders) to keep them fresh. I'm not a fan of leaving out players who've just had great games, as they tend to lose their momentum. GH left out strikers after they scored hat-tricks, and I do find that bizarre, as it just dents their confidence; at times it can be better to have an average striker full of confidence than a top one totally lacking it. Claudio Ranieri made too many changes to his teams at Chelsea; his best three players last season were Lampard, Terry and Bridge - the only three who played all season. The benefit of rotation - if done correctly - is that it keeps people on their toes. However, a strong squad can do that too (although, of course you need to keep them happy, so they will need games).

The problem GH had in later years was that he no longer had the players to rotate; or even rest his key men when they needed it. Could you rest Gerrard for Diao? Owen for the out-of-sorts Heskey? Would you opt for Cheyrou ahead of Kewell? There was simply no competition for places. You wouldn't want to rotate Gerrard, but there will be times he could use a rest.

The best thing about Benitez is that he likes to attack as a team and defend as a team. Under GH, we defended as a team, but attacked as a couple of individuals chasing a long ball (not always, but too often). I recall applauding off the Valencia side that won 1-0 at Anfield in the Champions League a couple of years ago - I'm not sure if people watching on TV could get the full sense of their movement off-the-ball, and the way they outbattled, out-run and out-passed us. They were the perfect team - eleven men playing together, with spirit and (crucially) understanding. Michael Owen believes they are the best team he has faced, and it's easy to see why. Steven Gerrard will feel exactly the same, I can assure you. They will both be hugely excited by his arrival; and Cisse will have been delighted to read (if he didn't know before) Guy Roux's comments that Benitez is a big fan of the young French striker. On top of this, Benitez's track record this millennium, coupled with Liverpool's reputation, will help attract top quality players to Anfield.

Overtaking Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea will not be easy - especially as they will all strengthen too. But as long as we are close to being on a par with them, then we will stand a chance of winning the title. Arsenal could have lost NINE games they actually won last season, and still finished above us; we were not even close to being in a position to capitalise on the top clubs slipping up. Benitez can get us challenging again; and that is why he is the best man. The next few years promise to be hugely exciting, and hopefully we will add some significant silverware on the journey.

© Paul Tomkins 2004
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 10:04:59 pm by paul_tomkins »

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Re: Rafa the Rotator
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 07:28:54 pm »
Reading that was just like a bird talking dirty to you. Very Exciting! ;D
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:13:27 pm »
Keep trying to alter the word KanChelseas to Kanchelskis - a weird Freudian slip on my part! - but it's not saving the changes...

As for the article being "just like a bird talking dirty to you" - that's a first for me! (Not sure what you like your women to say in bed, if that's the case)...

;)

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:21:04 pm »
paul the combination of letters that makes chels-ki (without the hyphon) has been put on auto sensor to change it to chelsea.  Was after all the chels-ki stuff last summer.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 01:20:38 am »
I like the rotation policy. It can't be done just for the sake of it, but ideally every player will feel he's involved and ready to play. GH liked to rotate players to new positions which didn't help anyone. So when Cheyrou and Diao got to play, it wasn't just new to them, they also had to play where there was an open spot rather than in a familiar position. I imagine that will disappear with Benitez, as will a few other things that will only be good for us. :)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

gerrard_17

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 05:22:27 am »
i remember in the treble season when GH favoured a very good rotation policy. i even remember one of the commentators mentioning how we seemed to have two players for every position. but back in those days, it could be argued the team really did play with team spirit and there was a real glimmer of hope and GH received innumerable plaudits for the squad he had assembled. it all went pearshaped two seasons ago (remember that horror run?)  and he panicked and stopped rotating completely. alot of the so-called fringe players who had been getting a few games here and there and performing quite well (barmby, vignal, wright, litmanen, etc) were either sold or dropped off the face of the earth. but i think the two seasons - the treble season and the next one, when liverpool were playing well showed that a good rotation policy can work.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:28:36 am »
As for the article being "just like a bird talking dirty to you" - that's a first for me! (Not sure what you like your women to say in bed, if that's the case)...

;)
"Carragher looks up and passes to Gerrard, he turns and runs forward, flicking an exquisite ball forward to Michael Owen who scores with the cutest of finshes!" (that's usually for missionary)

What I mean is, that's it's been very hard to get excited since Ged went. Uncertainty has been the order of the day, but reading your article, I was really starting to look forward to next season. Well, even to the coming months, possible signings etc. Hope restored!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 09:06:50 am »
It really lifts my spirit with the official annoucement of Rafa (even though it's the worst kept secret of Premiership) and of course reading your piece!   :D

I know too little about Rafa really to comment, other than that his track record and character that have shown through till now seems to fit us to the hilt.  Well done to the management! 

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 09:27:20 am »
Excellent stuff and his liking for wingers is good news as far as I'm concerned. The successful Liverpool teams always had them (usually on the left) going back to Peter Thompson, then Stevie Heighway and John Barnes. I had hoped Kewell would have the same impact on the current team but so far he's been a disappointment. The Daily Mirror this morning is linking us with Vicente after he turned down a new deal with Valencia so he could be Benitez's first signing and would provide serious competition for Kewell.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:01:49 am »
The Daily Mirror this morning is linking us with Vicente after he turned down a new deal with Valencia so he could be Benitez's first signing and would provide serious competition for Kewell.

I think Kewell is an all-round attacking midfielder, so I'd be more than happy to see him switch to the right (as I said, to play like Pires) with Vicente - a top quality left winger (who IS a winger - he enjoys staying wide) to play wide of the left.

Kewell had too many injury problems to be judged last season. It was his first season at a new club; so not only was he trying to get on the same wavelength as his peers, he also arrived at a time when the entire team (with few exceptions) was misfiring. Kewell is a quality act, and people can expect a lot more from him next season.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 10:04:10 am »
paul the combination of letters that makes chels-ki (without the hyphon) has been put on auto sensor to change it to chelsea.  Was after all the chels-ki stuff last summer.

Ha! Assumed I was going insane for a while there...

Benito7

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 02:07:07 pm »
I feel Benitez's success or failure is going to be largely dependent on his signings if he signs players of the calibre of Vicente then the team can really go places and we are likely to retain our best players but I feel if we fail to buy players with the neccessary guile to create against the packed defences Owen and Cisse will face then we will struggle to compete with the top three. I feel we will really see the best of Stevie in a team with real width as this will give him more space in the middle nd better options to pass to out wide.

Offline tierney

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 07:39:48 pm »

Paul...

i agree with your synopsis however i would like to add some comments and suggestions.   sure Valencia beat us badly in all areas of the game, and i am sure raffa will change this.   for me the biggest need for us ( and this lacks in the English game in general ) is skill.... individual ball skill, Valencia showed that in abundance so if we can obtain that and along with us going forward as a team and defending as a team combine this with our "spirit " and we will challenge the top two and anyone else for that matter.

your comments?

;)

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 09:42:17 pm »
This is my first post so go easy, i'm used to the nonsense on the official site!!!

I've never been a big fan of the rotation policy, as like you suggested it can lead to a lack of cohesion for the players, as they never seem to get used to each others game!

I'm not so worried about this under Benitez however, for a couple of reasons!

1) It's worked for him before, and he obviously has a system in place that is proven to be successful in a top league.

2) More importantly, he's implied that every player knows their role and what to do in each situation. Which would lead to fewer problems with adjusting to different players. This IMO is what Houllier tried to do, to a certain extent, and resulted too often in a few methodical style of football, which was often ineffective. This doesn't worry me however, as point 1 above shows, it's worked before!

I'm also much more happy as like you said, he uses width, which IMO is a must. Going through the middle, especially in this league, is a big no no, unless you have players with exceptional technical ability!

I am very confident about the coming season, mind you, i'm always confident about a coming season!  ;D
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 10:23:15 am »
This is my first post so go easy, i'm used to the nonsense on the official site!!!

I'm also much more happy as like you said, he uses width, which IMO is a must. Going through the middle, especially in this league, is a big no no, unless you have players with exceptional technical ability!

Well, we do *try* to talk sense here!

Glad you agree - and good point about players knowing their roles. I don't think there's anything wrong with going through the middle - but it should just be an option, not the only option.