Author Topic: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18  (Read 104048 times)

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18
« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2017, 03:48:15 am »
excellent
choose Life.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:43 am »
Warner gone!

59-3.  Big wicket.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2017, 04:23:47 am »
WICKET! Warner c Malan b Ball 26 (Australia 59-3)

Get in !!  :wave
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2017, 04:36:23 am »
That 302 is looking reasonable at the moment. Get Smith out soon and it will look very good.
We are Liverpool!

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2017, 05:35:03 am »
Will the courier be running stories bemoaning Australia's runrate like today's print?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2017, 05:55:54 am »
We’re bowling really well! I can’t believe Handscomb wasn’t originally given out!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2017, 05:56:35 am »
Woke up with them 4 down, knew we couldn’t have made many more! Not heard a wicket since I woke up, time to try and get back to sleep for an hour and see what I can produce.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2017, 06:12:33 am »
Boycott not impressed with Woakes here at all.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #408 on: November 24, 2017, 07:16:08 am »
sounds like we had a bit of a collapse (nothing new there!) and that again we're struggling with any idea on how to get smith out if the ball doesn't move sideways.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: November 24, 2017, 07:32:11 am »
Frustrating. Was on the cusp of that being a very good day just after tea, but with an old ball, Steve Smith well set and England, not for the first time, looking at a loss as to how to get him out, I have Australia ahead.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: November 24, 2017, 07:40:48 am »
Yeah with Smith there it's Australia's day.

Thought Broad did well today.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #411 on: November 24, 2017, 07:43:09 am »
Again a really good days cricket. Smith the key, get him inside the first 20 overs tomorrow and England are back on top, that Aussie tail is longgg. It isn't Haddin or gilchrist coming in either, it's a fella on ashes debut.

Worth just paying our lads a bit of credit whitewash this, blown away that, it's been a very fair contest in bat and ball.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: November 24, 2017, 09:24:05 am »
Again a really good days cricket. Smith the key, get him inside the first 20 overs tomorrow and England are back on top, that Aussie tail is longgg. It isn't Haddin or gilchrist coming in either, it's a fella on ashes debut.

Worth just paying our lads a bit of credit whitewash this, blown away that, it's been a very fair contest in bat and ball.

If the first couple of days are a close approximation to how the series is going to pan out, then we should be in for a cracker. Now both sides have had a bowl and time at the crease, it would appear to be much closer between the two sides than any of us thought.

Think Root could have been a bit more creative with his bowling changes today. Keeping Moeen on when they were playing him like a fiddle seemed a bit daft to me, especially when Ball is moping about the outfield having only bowled a handful of deliveries all day.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: November 24, 2017, 10:55:07 am »
I think England's bowling and actions in the field have been more deliberate and thought out which goes to them being better prepared and makes me think they'll have real success throughout the series. I don't think Australia are very good at adapting.

I think somehow we still go into series thinking that we can just turn up and play cricket and win. 'Play your natural game' and all that.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: November 24, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
I think England's bowling and actions in the field have been more deliberate and thought out which goes to them being better prepared and makes me think they'll have real success throughout the series. I don't think Australia are very good at adapting.

I think somehow we still go into series thinking that we can just turn up and play cricket and win. 'Play your natural game' and all that.

Any specifics? I wondered if Ali was brought on especially for Khawaja and, sure enough, the wicket came fairly quickly.

I thought Warner's catch was outstanding and very clever field placing by Smith.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #415 on: November 24, 2017, 12:53:36 pm »
is there a way to download TMS and listen to it at your on pace at a time that is more convenient. I know the BBC allow you to listen again for 7 days after broadcast. Would like to DL it if possible? 

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: November 24, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »
is there a way to download TMS and listen to it at your on pace at a time that is more convenient. I know the BBC allow you to listen again for 7 days after broadcast. Would like to DL it if possible? 

You could possibly record it with 'tune in radio' on your phone / iPad.... I think you may have to buy a copy to be able to record.

I've had the app for years and sadly year on year it's getting worse but it still does the job I need
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: November 24, 2017, 03:58:07 pm »
Think the match is 50/50 at the moment.

Get Smith early and we're in
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: November 24, 2017, 04:02:04 pm »
The fucking state of this.

https://twitter.com/kp24/status/933048738129563648

I thought it was a pisstake, but I think it might be real. It's difficult to know when you've got a load of humourless wankers involved. Everyone in it should all be ashamed of themselves. The Aussies probably ought to be forced to forfeit a couple of games, it's that bad. It makes Rooney's ad appearance look like Marlon Brando.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #419 on: November 24, 2017, 04:19:15 pm »
Disappointing and typical collapse by England, managed to get over 300 thanks to a great little cameo from Jake Ball.  England from no 7 down always seem to struggle when Ali bats at 6 or above.

Broad, Woakes and Anderson not really fit for purpose as batsmen at this level and I agree with Starc about how he can't wait to bowl at them on a quick wicket (how Australia allowed the Gabba groundsman to prepare the strip this way is anyone's guess)

That said, England are in a decent position at the moment and it is delicately poised.  If Smith gets a big hundred then Australia are favourites but if England get a lead going into the second innings then you'd have to fancy them as I wouldn't fancy batting last on a track that was turning sharply on Day 2!!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2017, 04:51:23 pm »
Agree. If we get smith early we get at least a draw IMO. If we get a draw or better here we win the series IMO. Appreciate that's probably a simplistic way to look at something with 20+ days to go but hey, that's me.

Sadly, I think the weather will the biggest dictator of result in this match. Sounds like it's going to be rotten for the next couple of days.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2017, 10:36:21 pm »
Sadly, I think the weather will the biggest dictator of result in this match. Sounds like it's going to be rotten for the next couple of days.

Just says showers in the afternoon. Admittedly on HTC weather app.

Edit: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/r7hgf6ch1

Met office says otherwise :/ but the draw is still 4/1 so bookies reckon a result is likely.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:38:26 pm by CheshireDave »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »
Just says showers in the afternoon. Admittedly on HTC weather app.

Edit: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/forecast/r7hgf6ch1

Met office says otherwise :/ but the draw is still 4/1 so bookies reckon a result is likely.

Similar to what they were saying on TMS last night. Regular showers and a match RPO of under 2.5 probably means that Australia are still batting come the end of the day.

Fingers crossed it misses though, because it's such an intriguing Test match that feels like one dominant session from either side may well be enough to swing the balance one way or t'other.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #423 on: November 24, 2017, 11:30:50 pm »
Anywhere I can get some sopcast/ace player streams up for this later? Struggling to find any atm.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:13 pm »
Anywhere I can get some sopcast/ace player streams up for this later? Struggling to find any atm.

acestream://3cf32325ca45e0179e0b1a3e3ad8d2de5296edcd

Perfect quality right now.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:41 pm »
Similar to what they were saying on TMS last night. Regular showers and a match RPO of under 2.5 probably means that Australia are still batting come the end of the day.

Fingers crossed it misses though, because it's such an intriguing Test match that feels like one dominant session from either side may well be enough to swing the balance one way or t'other.

Hope rain doesn't ruin the match !!

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/map7day.shtml  Forecast for Brisbane on the Aussie Met Office site says "a shower or two" and a "50/60% chance of showers"
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
Is there a "Mute Geoff Boycott" option on BT ?  ;D

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:17 am »
Just had two Jehovah Witness guys knock on the door a minute before the start of the game. 'We understand that people may have different beliefs'. 'Yes', I said. 'And, Test cricket is one of them, and it is just about to start.'
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2017, 12:09:24 am »
Just had two Jehovah Witness guys knock on the door a minute before the start of the game. 'We understand that people may have different beliefs'. 'Yes', I said. 'And, Test cricket is one of them, and it is just about to start.'

;D

What was their reply , or did you just close the door on them ?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2017, 12:15:46 am »
Is there a "Mute Geoff Boycott" option on BT ?  ;D

I think he wants the English bowlers to bowl a bit fuller. Difficult to tell as he's not really mentioned it much at all.  ::)

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2017, 12:17:44 am »
All England's starting 11 were born in England.

2003 in Galle when Nasser wasn't playing.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2017, 12:19:11 am »
I think he wants the English bowlers to bowl a bit fuller. Difficult to tell as he's not really mentioned it much at all.  ::)

Yeah , I wasn't sure either.  ;D  :butt

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2017, 12:21:22 am »
Got him!

Marsh lobbed one up to mid off.

An end opened up maybe?

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2017, 12:22:24 am »
Lovely. Well in Broad

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:01 am »
Clever bowling from Broad, rolled his fingers down the side of the ball and drew the false shot

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:20 am »
Get in !! Marsh out !!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:32 am »

;D

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2017, 12:38:40 am »
Lucky bugger. Cracking bouncer from Ball.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2017, 12:41:41 am »
Lucky bugger. Cracking bouncer from Ball.

Thought that was it momentarily. Smith then sprinted off strike next ball. Good little mini victory for Ball.

...followed it up with a long hop to Paine.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: November 25, 2017, 12:48:01 am »
Root trying to get inside Smith's head with these field placings.  Good captaincy.  Was never one to dig Cook out particularly, but it was this part of the game he never really got to grips with.