Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Arsenal, Anfield Sat 23rd Dec KO 17:30 GMT  (Read 8422 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Arsenal, Anfield Sat 23rd Dec KO 17:30 GMT
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2023, 07:41:27 pm »
Fuck off, Tepid.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2023, 07:48:37 pm »
Don’t think it’s fully open until Man City. 57K again
ah ok thanks, thought I'd read sooner.

they could open it up to kids or likkel people.

Offline **** The Pain Away.

• the cat who went all Yusuf Islam
  • Kopite
  • "We are the real people's club."
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2023, 09:57:06 pm »
Who these likkel people be?
Meh...

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2023, 10:01:54 pm »
CORNERS, CORNERS and more CORNERS.

Raya is oh so vulnerable as seen in Arsenal's game against Luton.

We must make it a priority to exploit this.

Not just because it could win us this game, but it could do further damage psychologically to their player's belief that they have the squad capable of winning the title. 

We only have to look back at last season's 2-2 draw where IIRC Konate had almost the last kick of the game to win it, but just couldn't get the right body parts behind it to slam it home. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 12:46:48 am by latortuga »

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2023, 10:03:24 pm »
Who these likkel people be?
likkel ikkel folk.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2023, 10:44:07 pm »
Great OP, Twoturtleduvvas.
Excited for this one. I expect Endo to start this one in Midfield

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2023, 10:53:04 pm »
3-2 to the REDS!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2023, 11:17:08 pm »
Merry Christmas duvva and thanks for the OP.

This is obviously a very tough game and both sides are capable of winning.

I’m a bit concerned by the form of Nunez and Diaz …… Gakpo may start for one of them.

However my biggest concern is that if Wataru plays he tends to have one or two poor tackles and that leaves him open to getting a red. Martinelli Against Trent is another concern and so I would play Gomez at right back and Trent instead of Wataru. It’s a tough call as Trent isn’t really a DM but since we are at home I think we’ll attack more than we defend and so I would go with Trent in midfield,

It’s a game where individual battles will be important and we’ll need to dominate midfield.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 01:35:44 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2023, 06:02:43 am »
Not Arsenal related…but wanted some match ticket advice.

I’m in a Facebook group called: “Liverpool Tickets Face Value + No Scammers“. Never actually used it but there’s a guy selling Newcastle tickets for £80 each. Says he can give me 3 tickets in the lower main. Seems far too easy to be honest.

Seems a scam?

Just wondering where the the best legit exchanges are.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 06:07:24 am by Fitzy. »

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2023, 07:06:32 am »
The only legit exchange is the club. With a bit of patience it's usually pretty do-able to pick up late returns.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2023, 07:08:04 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Great op thanks Duvva, agree Wednesday has helped loads with confidence. Think Trent will play RB and agree Endo and Curtis play midfield. Key question seems to be which two of three are up top with Mo. Elliott and the one who misses out could be key to the result along with Gomez. Many think attacking their left is the key battle. I think we win this well.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2023, 07:31:35 am »
One thing weve done really well against man utd and west ham is press the ball and win it back high, I think these last 2 games have been our best counter press games for 18 months.  I'd like to see a front 3 of Nunez, Gapko, Salah, the one that hit 7 v man utd but think Klopp will use the fresh legs of Diaz today with Nunez dropping to the bench.

One thing I've noticed about Arteta in his last 2 visits to Anfield is his obsession with getting his players to fake injury in the first 30 minutes of the game to disrupt any flow to it and quiten down the crowd.  Watch out for it today, it is a quite blatant strategy he uses at Anfield.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2023, 07:39:51 am »
The only legit exchange is the club. With a bit of patience it's usually pretty do-able to pick up late returns.
Yeah. Cheers.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2023, 08:04:47 am »
One thing weve done really well against man utd and west ham is press the ball and win it back high, I think these last 2 games have been our best counter press games for 18 months.  I'd like to see a front 3 of Nunez, Gapko, Salah, the one that hit 7 v man utd but think Klopp will use the fresh legs of Diaz today with Nunez dropping to the bench.

One thing I've noticed about Arteta in his last 2 visits to Anfield is his obsession with getting his players to fake injury in the first 30 minutes of the game to disrupt any flow to it and quiten down the crowd.  Watch out for it today, it is a quite blatant strategy he uses at Anfield.

He uses it in every game.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2023, 08:33:10 am »
The West Ham game will be a point of reference for everyone going forward I think. The balance and quality of our play was superb. Where for much of our season we’ve seemed to rely on individual brilliance, Wednesday had superb tactical cohesion and deadly potential. It’s given Klopp quite the happy headache to solve going into this game.

Gomez has been excellent at right back this season and seems to add a different dimension to our game, giving greater freedom to those around him (as an aside, I think having him there could also give Robertson and Tsimikas greater attacking freedom too).

Quansah’s form has been massively exciting and he’s getting close to Konate for that second centre back spot, in my opinion. I wouldn’t blame Klopp for going either way with that decision.

If there’s an argument for Gomez at right back, there’s an argument of where to then play Trent. He’s incredible and played an amazing pass for Mo’s goal when brought on in midfield on Wednesday. So could he transition to the six, more permanently with Gomez at right back. Potentially, but then Endo is improving as time goes on too, and was another top performer in the new system the other night. It might be a horses for courses selection, especially given the potential need to manage Joe’s legs.

Jones showed exactly how valuable he can be the other night, capped by two well taken goals. Gravenberch has impressed on the whole, but still shows understandable signs of fitting in. If anyone has outright earned a place in the starting line up for Saturday, it’s Jones, for me

Elliott’s place in the side makes increasingly more sense this season, but he’s got Salah and Szoboszlai to contend with, so maybe an unfortunate one to drop back out. I’d personally argue his role in the side versus Salah’s interpretation of the role helped see what the future looks like after Salah. Not to say we sell Salah, but to say we have a path forward for years to come now. Elliott’s performances against West Ham is likely to have the longest lasting questions, I feel, especially given the general consensus that Salah is increasingly less effective stranded out on the right touchline. Obviously his numbers are terrific, they always are, and we exactly scored more when he came on the other day for Szoboszlai, dropping Elliott back into midfield, but even then something had changed in his position within the system when Cody went off allowing him to drift central more often, where he appeared most dangerous. I think we have our way home for during the AFCON, and perhaps a more central Salah might be something the happens if he comes home to an established system change.

Nunez and Gakpo interchanging positions and their different styles also caused West Ham a lot of headaches, improving both their games, in my opinion. I’d be tempted to repeat this duo today. I think Diaz is a great player but currently out of form and less versatile in general, so potentially as it has with other players, a period of bench cameos could help him regain confidence against tired legs.

Arsenal may have fresher legs but in this case I’d argue momentum is as good as a rest as we are in a lot better shape now than post Sunday. Whatever the team, we’ve got a great chance to go out and top the league at Christmas. Arsenal now have an established side, a known first XI almost. We are still discovering new tricks to add to our bow yet remain right on their heels. Whatever happens today, our future looks exceedingly bright.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2023, 09:03:29 am »
Nice OP Duvva.

Got more than a tingle of excitement for this one. Potential to be a fantastic game for starters. Potential to go top at Chrimbo, which would be a great boost for everyone. Yeah, excited by this one. Come on you mighty Redmen. Into these.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2023, 09:32:44 am »
Thanks for theOP duvva :)

Arsenal may have fresher legs but in this case I’d argue momentum is as good as a rest as we are in a lot better shape now than post Sunday. Whatever the team, we’ve got a great chance to go out and top the league at Christmas. Arsenal now have an established side, a known first XI almost. We are still discovering new tricks to add to our bow yet remain right on their heels. Whatever happens today, our future looks exceedingly bright.

That's true, I didn't expect us to have a realistic chance of being top at Christmas given the overhaul in midfield and it's shown this season where we've had games where things haven't clicked and even periods in games where things aren't working - last week against Man Utd being an example where we struggled to create much against a low block being one, though we looked really sharp in terms of our pressing and off the ball work which continued against West Ham.

Will still be really disappointed if we don't win; however whatever the result, this game isn't the be all and end all of our season even if it it the biggest game so far.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2023, 09:34:04 am »

He uses it in every game.

Yep, somewhere between the 20th and 30th minute I'd expect at least one, maybe two, Arsenal players to go down 'injured' and Arteta to gather his players around him for a talk.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2023, 10:08:09 am »
Thanks for the OP Duvva.

This is a key game at a perfect time. We can be top of the league on Christmas day (which always makes the turkey taste better), plus extend the gap to City to 7 points, and make a statement about our title credentials. Plus we've just scored 5 against West Ham, and we need to make up for that Utd game by bagging 3 points. And of course it's at Anfield under the lights on the last game before Christmas - and Jurgen has already laid down the gauntlet to make it a cauldron of noise.

We need to be at them from the first whistle, and use our physicality wherever possible to remind them they're in a title challenge. If ever there was a game for Darwin to kickstart a scoring run, it's this one - and I'm sure Mo will also run them ragged, having had a relatively easy 30 minutes in midweek.

Ali, Trent, Virgil, Konate, Gomez, Endo, Jones, Szoboszlai, Gakpo, Darwin, Mo

Diaz and Elliot off the bench, plus Trent moving between RB and midfield to mix up our play, and use the width to link up with Mo when needed.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2023, 10:27:32 am »
We’re going to struggle to progress the ball from the back in this game and need to find ways of doing so. A real shame Matip is injured because his ball carrying could really help.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2023, 10:49:06 am »
We’re going to struggle to progress the ball from the back in this game and need to find ways of doing so. A real shame Matip is injured because his ball carrying could really help.

ibou did have a good run against west ham to be fair

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2023, 11:27:04 am »
Arsenal want to attack in patterns- like Villa- so they are quite predictable.

We will set traps and counter-press them like no other team has done so far.

Easy win

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2023, 11:35:09 am »

I see the Curtis Jones inflatable doll has arrived
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2023, 12:23:17 pm »
Alisson, Gomez, Van Dijk, Konate, Tsimikas, Trent, Szoboszlai, Jones, Gakpo, Salah, Nunez.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2023, 12:32:33 pm »
I've got a good feeling about this game. I think we'll win.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2023, 12:56:35 pm »
CORNERS, CORNERS and more CORNERS.

Raya is oh so vulnerable as seen in Arsenal's game against Luton.

We must make it a priority to exploit this.

Not just because it could win us this game, but it could do further damage psychologically to their player's belief that they have the squad capable of winning the title. 

We only have to look back at last season's 2-2 draw where IIRC Konate had almost the last kick of the game to win it, but just couldn't get the right body parts behind it to slam it home.

Corners need to be right in the 6 yard box and our players should be on their GK

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2023, 01:00:53 pm »
I've got a good feeling about this game. I think we'll win.

I think so too. I am normally a half glass full kind of guy anyway when it comes to Liverpool games, but after the Utd game I said to a mate of mine (Arsenal fan)  that my head says 2-2 but my heart says Liverpool win. However, since the West Ham game and the performance from certain individuals, I feel confident that we will win today.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2023, 01:33:49 pm »
This will be tough but unlike the shite mancs Arsenal will come here to play and win.

Score early and ramp up the atmosphere.  :D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2023, 01:40:05 pm »
3-2 to the REDS!
Prefer a 0 in the away column mate.
Not gunna be that, but I would prefer that.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2023, 01:42:00 pm »
Watch us win a game we're expected to draw or lose..
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2023, 01:51:50 pm »
Watch us win a game we're expected to draw or lose..

I doubt that many expect us to lose. A lot would expect a draw and us as slight favourites as we are the home side.
#JFT97

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2023, 01:55:16 pm »
23 years ago today. Where does the time go ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuS8BM_8cuU

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2023, 02:08:50 pm »
23 years ago today. Where does the time go ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuS8BM_8cuU

Not all of their team was bad that day. One of them impressed Klopp enough to sign for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2023, 02:24:49 pm »
Not all of their team was bad that day. One of them impressed Klopp enough to sign for us.

Manninger ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2023, 02:30:01 pm »
Nice one for the OP Duvva.

I'm really looking forward to this albeit a tad nervous.

Hopefully the crowd will really be up for it today.

I'll be setting off soon :)

2-0 to the Reds.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2023, 02:54:05 pm »
This is it. This is the psychological game of the season so far. Let's break them. Jones to start and trent to conduct us like an orchestra

3-1
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2023, 02:56:07 pm »
Jones to start and trent to conduct us like an orchestra

Arsenal fans will get pretty Solti if he wins it for us
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2023, 03:00:51 pm »

Up the Reds!  Don't forget your Rattle!!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2023, 03:22:30 pm »

I like what you've done there. A nice high brow play on words
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019