Author Topic: Union Saint-Gilloise V Liverpool - Europa League - 17:45 14 December 2023  (Read 11465 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Union Saint-Gilloise V Liverpool - Europa League - 17:45 14 December 2023
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2023, 09:57:15 am »
A European game is never irrelevant.

The vast majority of the football pyramid would give their back teeth to even have a chance to compete.

This is why some people think Liverpool fans are arrogant.

I'm always delighted to see my team in Europe.

You can ram your fucking European shite cup up yer hoop.

Like I said - I'd rather have lost fucking 20-0 against Bayern and won 1-0 and 1-0 in our league games.

The European Cup is my arse. We need to win the league. Fuck it.

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2023, 10:00:57 am »
well i prefer cartoon characters

Flintstone

Sylvester  T. Bird Old Lady 

Taz                      Roadrunner   

Pooh

B. Bunny      Y. Bear      B. Boop

M. Mouse   

D. Duck W.W Pecker Coyote Rubble J. Rabbit P. Panther  Garfield               

Taz is a liability, red card waiting to happen.

And I don't care what anyone says, Tweety Bird simply doesn't have the height to be a centre back.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2023, 10:03:15 am »

I would always want to win the league over a European Cup. That goes without saying.

However, that's just me - I was talking about the importance to the club.

I go to all the home games and I have to admit I'm enjoying this competition this year far more than I ever enjoy the 'Champions' League which has been a car crash for a few years now.

But yeah, I'd take one league over five European Cups personally.

Doesn't mean I don't want us to be in a posiiton to compete in Europe.

I'd also hazard that for me to post that, something had happened and I'd had a few :D

EDIT: Yeah. That's when I was disgusted that Ramos had done an Aikido move on Salah and Real had cheated their way through the round.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:04:48 am by Andy Pandys Christmas Shandy »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2023, 10:06:35 am »
I'd also hazard that for me to post that, something had happened and I'd had a few :D

That does fit your M.O..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2023, 10:36:58 am »
That does fit your M.O..

Imagine getting bladdered while watching Liverpool play Real Madrid in the Champions League!

What a thing!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2023, 10:59:13 am »

EDIT: Yeah. That's when I was disgusted that Ramos had done an Aikido move on Salah and Real had cheated their way through the round.

From the date, I'd say what happened is we drew with Man Utd and Everton, which ultimately cost us the league.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2023, 11:01:42 am »
Press conference this evening at 6.30pm will give us insight about Klopp's thinking but I imagine we will know the players that have travelled a few hours earlier.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2023, 11:06:17 am »
A European game is never irrelevant.

The vast majority of the football pyramid would give their back teeth to even have a chance to compete.

This is why some people think Liverpool fans are arrogant.

I'm always delighted to see my team in Europe.

Cool, good for you  … it isn’t Liverpool fan arrogance that makes it irrelevant, it’s the actual state of play in the competition.

The only way it becomes relevant is if it adds to the attrition in our squad
When you look at our squads and the squads of our rivals and the amount of fatigue and injuries they have already - that is going to be as big a factor in who wins the major prizes this season as any other
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:09:51 am by JackWard33 »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2023, 11:13:45 am »
Already through: Liverpool, Atalanta, Leverkusen, Sporting CP, West Ham, Freiburg, Brighton, Marseille, Rennes, Villarreal, Slavia Prague, Roma, Lens, Galatasaray, Benfica, Young Boys, Braga, Feyenoord.

Dropping down tonight: PSG or Newcastle, Porto or Shaktar Donetsk

Possibly qualifying tomorrow: Two of Real Betis/Rangers/Sparta Prague, Toulouse or USG, Qarabag or Molde

Lens, Galatasaray, Benfica, Young Boys, Braga, Feyenoord and the two dropping down tonight will play a group runner up from the Europa League. Looks like there could be some pretty evenly matched games as the quality dropping down from the CL isn't great
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:16:08 am by Mouldy Christmas cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2023, 11:18:09 am »
Cool, good for you  … it isn’t Liverpool fan arrogance that makes it irrelevant, it’s the actual state of play in the competition.

The only way it becomes relevant is if it adds to the attrition in our squad
When you look at our squads and the squads of our rivals and the amount of fatigue and injuries they have already - that is going to be as big a factor in who wins the major prizes this season as any other

I personally think it's been brilliant for us as a club and has given us a real chance to bed in new players and give younger players a chance that they otherwise may not have had.

If we can pick up and get into the next tier of European football next season then the experience we've gained in this one will be invaluable.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2023, 11:22:08 am »
PSG or Newcastle is the biggest entry for differing reasons. Not sure who I’d rather have in here (obviously might not end up playing either).who’s the pick of the rest, and the other English teams: Leverkusen, Roma, Benfica, maybe Villarreal?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2023, 11:25:41 am »
I personally think it's been brilliant for us as a club and has given us a real chance to bed in new players and give younger players a chance that they otherwise may not have had.

If we can pick up and get into the next tier of European football next season then the experience we've gained in this one will be invaluable.

For sure, to be clear I'm into the Europa .. I'd put winning it a decent distance above the domestic cups
I'd use this game for the reasons you've stated but with U23 players (if the registration rules allow it?!) rather than main 20 odd squad players have a lot of european games under their belts even junior members of that group (e.g Harvey's got 14 european appearances already)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2023, 11:26:27 am »
PSG or Newcastle is the biggest entry for differing reasons. Not sure who I’d rather have in here (obviously might not end up playing either).who’s the pick of the rest, and the other English teams: Leverkusen, Roma, Benfica, maybe Villarreal?

Seems I've forgot to mention Milan could still go through even though it's a longer shot. They'd have to win at Newcastle and hope Dortmund beat PSG I think.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2023, 11:35:59 am »
A victory in the group pays €630,000 and a draw €210,000 .

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2023, 11:41:22 am »
So if we draw we might be able to cover half of Salah's wages for a week? Boss!

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2023, 11:44:11 am »
I know some (most?) want a complete team of kids. They routinely lose to League one and two sides in whatever that trophy is called these days so could get battered. Are people ok with that? I know the result doesn’t overly matter but would be harsh on them and still potentially a bit embarrassing. I think we will see a smattering of more senior players who could do with some minutes but I don’t envy Klopp having to make a selection for this one.

And I would also like to see us go fairly strong in the League Cuo next midweek which will be factored o to the selevtion too I’m sure.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2023, 11:53:27 am »
I know some (most?) want a complete team of kids. They routinely lose to League one and two sides in whatever that trophy is called these days so could get battered. Are people ok with that? I know the result doesn’t overly matter but would be harsh on them and still potentially a bit embarrassing. I think we will see a smattering of more senior players who could do with some minutes but I don’t envy Klopp having to make a selection for this one.

And I would also like to see us go fairly strong in the League Cuo next midweek which will be factored o to the selevtion too I’m sure.

He's obviously not going to send a child's team out to a European level side with far much to play for, it would have the potential to get messy. That said I'm not sure selection rules would even allow us to do that. Maye the likes of Elliot and Jones will play, but then there's your Kelleher/Quansah's who will also form a decent backbone with other youngsters coming in. I'm not expecting much of anything really but if ever there's a time to do it I suppose it's now.

League Cup is obviously much more important though, I'd easily take a loss in a Europa dead rubber if it means we beat West Ham (who have two big games this week themselves)

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2023, 11:54:53 am »
Already through: Liverpool, Atalanta, Leverkusen, Sporting CP, West Ham, Freiburg, Brighton, Marseille, Rennes, Villarreal, Slavia Prague, Roma, Lens, Galatasaray, Benfica, Young Boys, Braga, Feyenoord.

Dropping down tonight: PSG or Newcastle, Porto or Shaktar Donetsk

Possibly qualifying tomorrow: Two of Real Betis/Rangers/Sparta Prague, Toulouse or USG, Qarabag or Molde

Lens, Galatasaray, Benfica, Young Boys, Braga, Feyenoord and the two dropping down tonight will play a group runner up from the Europa League. Looks like there could be some pretty evenly matched games as the quality dropping down from the CL isn't great

It always annoys me to see ‘failures’ in the CL being ‘rewarded’, not only with a place in the Europa League, but also a draw against a team in the EL that did not win their group. If you don’t qualify from your group, you shout be out of Europe totally, for the year, not given another chance! 
Why not ‘reward’ those teams that drop down into the EL, with a draw only against the other teams that drop down from the CL?

Alternatively, (just for this year! ;D)  why not provide an incentive for teams in the EL, by rewarding the teams that win their group, with a place in the CL knockout stages?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2023, 12:03:43 pm »

Leverkusen are looking the part, that'd be tricky. Brighton have been a tough opponent 2-3 years, we've rarely beat them (although I think a European night at Anfield is different). Roma would be a pain with their fans and the Mourinho factor. PSG or Newcastle we'd want to avoid. West Ham I wouldn't fear with Moyes, maybe a new manager bounce off someone else would be problematic.

Any tie can be problematic if you're not concentrated, particularly the away leg, but we should be beating anyone over two legs. Especially if we can get the second legs at home.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2023, 12:43:53 pm »

ahhh...now that the threat of sevilla is out.

pretty sure the balls will be heated so we get psg/newcastle/leverkusen or whoever is the toughest test possible.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2023, 12:57:43 pm »
ahhh...now that the threat of sevilla is out.

pretty sure the balls will be heated so we get psg/newcastle/leverkusen or whoever is the toughest test possible.

We can't get Leverkusen or any other group winner in the next round. Don't think we can get an English team yet either. PSG would be possible if they finish third tonight and then make it through the next round (where we have a bye).

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2023, 01:13:04 pm »
Controversial opinion time, but I prefer winning European Cups over league titles.

The Europa League, while obviously not up with winning the European Cup or league, is by far the third biggest trophy in European football to win in my opinion. Liverpool and Europe together take on almost mythical proportions in my mind.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2023, 01:19:53 pm »
Controversial opinion time, but I prefer winning European Cups over league titles.

The Europa League, while obviously not up with winning the European Cup or league, is by far the third biggest trophy in European football to win in my opinion. Liverpool and Europe together take on almost mythical proportions in my mind.
The Champions League maybe but certainly not the Europa League over the League title. After the way we were forced to "celebrate" the 2020 title, I'd love for nothing better than to see Virgil,Mo and Ali parade another title in front of a full Kop.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2023, 02:12:31 pm »
I have to go with winning a European Cup (champions league) over a league title. Something magical about it that the prem can’t replicate. Just my opinion.
Anyways I think our Pep normally does the pre match interview.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2023, 02:22:34 pm »
The Champions League maybe but certainly not the Europa League over the League title. After the way we were forced to "celebrate" the 2020 title, I'd love for nothing better than to see Virgil,Mo and Ali parade another title in front of a full Kop.

we are on still on track for a treble to be honest. if or when we win it, lets just show the league what a proper celebration is like. yes im a believer ;D

right now lets just win whatever that is in front of us and let those below us worry about catching up

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2023, 02:26:44 pm »
we are on still on track for a treble to be honest. if or when we win it, lets just show the league what a proper celebration is like. yes im a believer ;D

right now lets just win whatever that is in front of us and let those below us worry about catching up
We're one of three teams that still have a chance of a quadruple!  As the other two are Newcastle and West Ham then we're realistically the only team in that running still.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2023, 03:01:41 pm »
How dare you not having Paddington in this team, with his South American skills, he's a must.
;D

Plus he'll have some marmalade sandwiches to share at half time.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2023, 03:20:52 pm »
Its going to be the second string with a few youth players, not a team of kids. In terms of getting the most 'value' out of the fixture, I'd agree with that. Leaving some kids out there to get hammered by themselves does nothing for anyone and some members of the squad haven't played enough to be overly concerned with congestion.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline vetdoc24

• Kemlynite
  • Big Dom Szoboszali will win us the league
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2023, 03:54:51 pm »

Between December 17-23 we would play Man u and Arsenal in the league and West Ham in LC (which I assume we atleast go partial strength for). So why risk injury by starting some key players or even some of the second string against a literal dead rubber? Say we play U21s and lose 5-0; what is there to feel bad for? Some opposition banter?

I would rather play the kids with no senior squad even on the bench then go and win all those three matches that actually matter.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2023, 04:09:28 pm »
The Champions League/ European Cup is without question the biggest trophy a club can win for me. The league is your bread and butter, of course, and maybe a more accurate reflection of the quality of your team. I think the classic idea is that a top team would win a few league titles before really challenging in Europe - think Roman's Chelsea and Guardiola's City. However, Klopp won a UCL before the league. Rafa won it way before we were challenging. Real Madrid won 4 in 5 years but only one league title in the same period.

Imagining that we'd qualified for the Champions League this season though, I think I'd choose the league for a few obvious reasons others have mentioned - just one behind the record and a great chance to win one in front of fans etc

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2023, 04:25:31 pm »
Liverpool travelling squad: Gomez, Endo, Konate, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Jones, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Gravenberch, Chambers, Pitaluga, Scanlon, Gordon, Doak, McConnell, Kelleher, Koumas, Quansah, Hill, Bradley, Mrozek.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2023, 04:28:19 pm »
Musialowski is really blacklisted.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2023, 04:28:36 pm »
Hopefully Ibou isn't anywhere near that pitch.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2023, 04:29:56 pm »
Play the kids!

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2023, 04:37:21 pm »
Alisson, Trent, van Djik, and Salah, all left at home.

Starting 11 of Kelleher, Bradley, Chambers, Gomez, Quansah, McConnell, Elliott, Gravenberch, Doak, Koumas, Gakpo

Bench of Pitaluga, Mrozek, Tsimikas, Scanlon, Konate, Endo, Hill, Jones, Szoboszlai, Gordon, Diaz, Nunez
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:46:59 pm by Too early for flapjacks? »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2023, 04:53:22 pm »
Nah, I want Gakpo and Elliott in the team for the weekend after they contributed to the 7-0 last year. But we should start with the players we don't expect to start then either way.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2023, 04:53:42 pm »
Would prefer Konate and Szobo weren't there, but it is what it is.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2023, 04:55:44 pm »
Alright then, now we're a bit wiser

Kelleher
Bradley   Gomez (C)   Quansah   Chambers
McConnell   Elliot   Jones
Doak   Gakpo   Gordon

Don't see it happening but why not. I'd give Gomez 45 at centre half then be tempted to throw Endo there for the rest. Doak and especially Gordon probably aren't near 90 mins but should see some involvement. Elliot and Jones for some minutes, the rest should just enjoy themselves! Still hoping he puts Gomez up front really.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:57:19 pm by Mouldy Christmas cake »

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2023, 04:57:04 pm »
Would prefer Konate and Szobo weren't there, but it is what it is.

You probably face some sort of punishment if you leave too many behind. Szoboszlai has barely played in the EL at all and I don't expect him to tomorrow so he hasn't been overplayed.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2023, 04:57:10 pm »
Not really the clubs fault this is a dead rubber game but we were never going to throw it either. Hopefully it's just an enjoyable game and there are no injuries. Up the Reds!