Author Topic: The Real Ronaldo  (Read 39065 times)

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Real Ronaldo
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:57 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6oz1HhLjT9c

Love this 98 clip of France WC team talking about how to stop the legend.

So brilliant, it's in English subs too.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6oz1HhLjT9c

Love this 98 clip of France WC team talking about how to stop the legend.

So brilliant, it's in English subs too.
Class that. When you have two legends of the game in Thuram and Desailly worried about a player, you know that man is something extraordinary.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2013, 09:19:58 am »
Class that. When you have two legends of the game in Thuram and Desailly worried about a player, you know that man is something extraordinary.

I was laughing at when Thuram was saying how the ball was just gone when he got done at Milan.

Fucking love Ronaldo.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2013, 10:27:36 am »
Was talking about the likes of zidane and Ronaldo at work the other day.

Loved Mr Ronaldo, as I strangely always referred to him as. Power,  pace and such skill. Unusual to get all three of those in the same player and certainly not to his level. His knee injuries were terrible. Genuinely felt for him. Always thought that his rehabilitation was never correctly managed though, probably given his life style etc.

He could probably still cut it at the top level but as mentioned, the the motivation and dedication are not there. Apart from the early years, they never really were.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2016, 11:20:19 pm »

The Italian Football Hall of Fame announced Ronaldo as one of their new inductees, and he without a doubt deserves the added plaudits.

"As a kid I'd wake up at 9am in Brazil to watch the games."

"My history is beautiful because I can say I played in Italy."

Offline B.A. Baracus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2016, 12:45:35 am »
Looks like Dave Lister borrowed Dwayne Dibbley's teeth.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2016, 12:51:01 am »
Doesn't get enough recognition, one of the greatest ever. Don't care how many goals cristiano scores, there'll only ever be one Ronaldo. The phenomenon.
Who is this guy receiving the trophy on his behalf.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2016, 01:15:53 am »
Is there such a thing as fake Ronaldo?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2016, 01:37:59 am »
There is only one Ronaldo. There will only ever be one Ronaldo.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:06 am »

This one looks pretty fake to me
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2016, 03:07:15 am »
Is there such a thing as fake Ronaldo?

No, it's up there with people who use insults like "Liverpoo" or "ManUre"
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2016, 03:08:10 am »
There is only one Ronaldo. There will only ever be one Ronaldo.
Like there's only one Luis Garcia and a fake Luis Suarez? :P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2016, 11:47:23 am »
No, it's up there with people who use insults like "Liverpoo" or "ManUre"

With all that fake tan he uses, there could only be on real Ronaldo lol.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2016, 02:37:04 pm »
There's Ronaldo, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Upsets me greatly that Cristiano Ronaldo is the first option if you google 'Ronaldo'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »
Like there's only one Luis Garcia and a fake Luis Suarez? :P

You mean Luis Suarez Miramontes? He wasn't fake either.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2016, 03:37:50 pm »
There's Ronaldo, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Upsets me greatly that Cristiano Ronaldo is the first option if you google 'Ronaldo'
Not all together surprising given he's still playing, is more famous and is as good as if not better than Ronaldo was.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:23 pm »
and is as good as if not better than Ronaldo was.

you've done it now
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2016, 01:48:35 am »
you've done it now
He's right though.

Blame everything to injuries and lifestyle or whatever circumstances - talent is worth nothing without the application.

Is Ronaldo more talented? No one will ever know as he's never reached the same heights as Cristiano Ronaldo even if the latter is considered less of a phenom. Would Gerrard be a player of a generation if Houllier had a lousy eye for talent and sold him to Everton?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2016, 03:15:28 am »
I'll never forget the 1998 world cup final situation. I always wonder how it went down. We heard in school he swallowed his tongue, but I'm still not sure if that's exactly what happened.

Growing up he was the only player anyone wanted to be in the school playground.

I guess Messi and Ronaldo are better than him but then I remember Ronaldo when it felt like there was magic powder on his feet. To do both Real/Barca and Inter/AC is a mental one on its own.

I think everyones willing to give you Ronaldo right now based on the last few years of his career, but the 'would Gerrard have been...........if Houllier...........Everton.............."

fuck off ;D

What does that even mean? Of course he would have been.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2016, 05:21:29 am »
If there's a player I feel sorry for, thats Luiz Nazario De Lima Ronaldo. What only could he have been? The greatest of all time.

A lesser known fact is that he had knee problems 5 years prior to his first serious injury so him coming back not once but twice and still being the world's best player tells you everything.

At the time of the World Cup in 1998, there was little coverage of English football here (and Internet was still a luxury) so understandably I knew next to nothing about the English team (then I grew to like a certain 18 year old Englishman). However, as Serie A was the thing back then (and live games were broadcasted, sweet memories), I knew who Ronaldo was and as everyone else around my age, I loved him. I studied every his move, every trick, trying to recreate it. Needless to say it never happened as I was more of a full-back rather than a pacy striker but still, he was an inspiration. Going into that final against France, I remember Brazil were hugely favoured to win. Imagine how shocking it was for me to understand my idol wouldnt be playing and that he was in hospital (as thats what everyone said in the TV studio before the game). I was relieved he started but looking at the situation from a different perpective now, it was the wrong decision both for him as an individual and the team as a whole. That heavy collisiom with Barthez didnt help either. On what happened prior the start of the game, I think thats probably the closest to truth I've read - http://www.worldsoccer.com/columnists/keir-radnedge/misdiagnosis-that-jeopardised-ronaldos-health-333666

And all this "fake Ronaldo" stuff is just stupid. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:23:08 am by child-in-time »
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »
Not all together surprising given he's still playing, is more famous and is as good as if not better than Ronaldo was.

Yeah ..... course he is   :o

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2016, 04:16:39 pm »

Yeah ..... course he is   :o
You can argue about talent and who was the better player to watch, or who was technically/physically better, if not for injuries etc etc

At the end of the day, C.Ronaldo has 332 goals in 347 games for Madrid and most of the time he wasn't even a striker. That's almost as many goals than Brazilian Ronaldo  ever scored in his whole career

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2016, 04:17:07 pm »
People can look back with nostalgia all they want and blame injuries, but the fact is Ronaldo never came close to regularly hitting the goalscoring that Cristiano Ronaldo has been consistently putting out for years:

La Liga for Real:

Ronaldo
-23 goals
-24 goals
-21 goals
-14 goals

In Europe: 15 goals in 36 games

Cristiano:
-26 goals
-40 goals
-46 goals
-34 goals
-31 goals
-48 goals

In Europe: 74 goals in 70 games

Some won't ever give Cristiano Ronaldo the credit he deserves because he uses hair gel and dresses a certain way, but he's one of the greatest athletes i've ever seen. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are both better players than him IMO

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:21:16 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2016, 04:18:27 pm »
There is more to football than stats.

Online King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »

No way in hell 'cristiano' is better than 'ronaldo'

Yes cristiano did it on a grand scale for a longer period, but there is no doubting ronaldo was the better talent.

2 x cruciate ligament damaged knee Real Madrid 'Ronaldo' surpasses Real Madrid 'Cristiano' talent wise, not to mention Barcelona, Inter, PSV etc...

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »
Well I'm not gonna write a thesis on either player, but both players were more than stats anyway. Doesn't really make sense to me how people can say Brazilian Ronaldo was far better than Portugese Ronaldo given the fact he's competing and holding his own against probably the greatest player ever.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »

Football is judged by what happens on a pitch, not a hypothetical situation in somebody's head.

Cristiano Ronaldo has consistently delivered at a level higher than Ronaldo ever did.

Ronaldo was incredible for his time, Messi and Cristiano changed the entire game when it came to judging forwards.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »

Totally agree. People are so hung up on stats its unreal.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2016, 04:30:04 pm »
Totally agree. People are so hung up on stats its unreal.

Yeah those stupid stats said we lost 1-0 to West Ham a couple weeks ago, irrelevant, in my head we won and that's all that matters!

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:32 pm »
Luiz Nazario De Lima, when fit and before the injuries, was on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo. He was unfortunate to have these near career-ending injuries and it left us thinking "what if" and "only if", true that.
However:
35 in 36 games in 94/95
47 in 49 in 96/97
34 in 47 in 97/98

Who else at the time was putting in such stats? Who does now, bar Messi, Cristiano and Suarez?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2016, 04:45:42 pm »
Luiz Nazario De Lima, when fit and before the injuries, was on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo. He was unfortunate to have these near career-ending injuries and it left us thinking "what if" and "only if", true that.
However:
35 in 36 games in 94/95
47 in 49 in 96/97
34 in 47 in 97/98

Who else at the time was putting in such stats? Who does now, bar Messi, Cristiano and Suarez?

1 season in La Liga where he broke 30 goals, Cristiano has done it 5 years in a row, breaking 40 in 3 of them, when he's not even a #9.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
1 season in La Liga where he broke 30 goals, Cristiano has done it 5 years in a row when he's not even a #9.
Doesnt hold much sense when you consider he spent, all in all, 1 season in La Liga with Barcelona at the time. I can safely say Cristiano has never scored in Serie A, does it mean anything?

Oh, and Luiz Nazario De Lima recovered from 2 serious long-term injuries and came back (albeit never on the same level as before) good enough to be still the best striker on the planet and win a World Cup. So I'd presume he's an elite athlete as well, not many footballers do that.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2016, 07:24:10 pm »

While I agree with this to a degree, it's still worth pointing out that the object of the game is to score goals

After all, you can't win a game without scoring them, therefore I think goal records are of much higher significance than most other "stats"

Christiano Ronaldo's goal record shits all over De Lima Ronaldo's by quite a distance.

We're not talking about a handful of goals here. There's a shit load of goals in the difference.

Anyone who conveniently dismisses that fact as just another random "stat" is just being stubborn over the fact that he's an ex manc
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2016, 07:41:09 pm »
While I agree with this to a degree, it's still worth pointing out that the object of the game is to score goals

After all, you can't win a game without scoring them, therefore I think goal records are of much higher significance than most other "stats"

Christiano Ronaldo's goal record shits all over De Lima Ronaldo's by quite a distance.

We're not talking about a handful of goals here. There's a shit load of goals in the difference.

Anyone who conveniently dismisses that fact as just another random "stat" is just being stubborn over the fact that he's an ex manc

I get your point but the game to many is more than just numbers. For example my favourite player is Zidane. Now his qualities cant easily be simply judged by stats. Fat Frank for example scored more goals but so what? Im a Madrid fan so in no way am I ignoring CR7s ridiculous goal record, it speaks for itself. He is the ultimate example of maximising a big talent.

However in my opinion Ronaldo was a much bigger natural talent, a god given talent the levels of Maradona, Best, Messi etc. that you dont see often. To me these are the players I want to watch. I still respect the Cristianos but given a choice its Ronaldo every day for me.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »
No way in hell 'cristiano' is better than 'ronaldo'

Yes cristiano did it on a grand scale for a longer period, but there is no doubting ronaldo was the better talent.

2 x cruciate ligament damaged knee Real Madrid 'Ronaldo' surpasses Real Madrid 'Cristiano' talent wise, not to mention Barcelona, Inter, PSV etc...
He is.

He's scored more, assisted more, won more trophies and been more important for his respective clubs than Ronaldo ever was.

I have no problems admitting Ronaldo was more talented than  Cristiano Ronaldo, and that he was unfortunate to suffer such horrendous injuries, but he was, and his game suffered.

Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and others from that era may have had more natural talent, but as it is Cristiano has outstripped them all and will rightly be remembered as superior to those players.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2016, 08:06:39 pm »

They're obviously important but I do agree with you somewhat. Reeling off a bunch of stats and not much else doesn't really do all that much, not least because who is better is subjective anyway. Else Josef Bican would be the greatest player ever, no debate.

As it is, there's numerous arguments for either (injuries and hypothyroidism have been mentioned but I would also say the game has changed from even 20 years ago and Ronaldo would be more suited today to teams like Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the type of team who I think he'd be playing for although that's all hypothetical) in this case (and it's only being done because they share the same name) no doubt Cristiano Ronaldo's numbers stack up better than Ronaldo. But I've always found the latter more special, more capable of destroying defences in any number of ways and more fun to watch. Cristiano Ronaldo (and moreso since he's become just a goalscorer which has made him less enjoyable to watch) leaves me a little cold, his clinicalness seems a little robotic. He seems to have become a great goalscorer and yeah, that's about it. It's easy to hide behind 'oh, he's a Manc and a bit of a twat' and that's the reason and he is and he is but that's not really it. Players like Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane have done it at the highest level, as has Cristiano Ronaldo but the former three play(ed) with magic, with some kind of ethereal brilliance that I wouldn't say Cristiano Ronaldo does. Of course, Ronaldo has the numbers but then if it's all about that, I wouldn't bother watching matches, I'd just look at Opta afterwards.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:00 am »
Pah! I'd watch Ronaldo and Ronaldinho every day than watch Cristiano and Messi.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2016, 03:00:00 am »
Nerd alert.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2016, 06:06:06 am »
Doesn't it have more to do with the tactics used in football these days, really?

I mean football is way more attacking and the top teams score more each season because of it. So if one of those big teams is attacking by default and racking up 4-0 plus scorelines regularly, it makes sense players likes C.Ronaldo and Messi will score twice as many goals in todays games than they would have 20 years ago.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2016, 06:48:18 am »
Both Cristiano and Messi have failed at major tournaments for their country, real Ronaldo bossed it. Could have been even better if he didn't get so many long term injuries but in full flight with that power and control, puts these tippy tappy players of today to shame.
Real Madrid had Zidane Figo Raul and Ronaldo at one stage, some of the football was absolute magic, in a one off game  this Barca team wouldn't live with them.