Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 323026 times)

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #4040 on: April 4, 2024, 10:34:15 pm »
Excellent header for the goal

Don't think a lot people appreciate just how difficult it is to score a goal like that. Lovely technique by Cody.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4041 on: April 4, 2024, 10:36:31 pm »
So happy for him. Looked as sharp as I’ve seen him in a while.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4042 on: April 4, 2024, 10:37:20 pm »
Some people are too quick to write people off.

Absolutely…right, onto the Gravenberch thread

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4043 on: April 4, 2024, 10:44:01 pm »
Someone must have had a word with him, he played like a man possessed. Drastic difference between today and the previous cameos. Keep it up, lad! 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4044 on: April 4, 2024, 10:45:12 pm »
He good when he doesnt play the solo 9 basically. He really good on the wings or a second striker. He just not a depth player as much.
He numbers are pretty good too. Seems very good in the locker room also

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4045 on: April 4, 2024, 10:45:52 pm »
I criticised him for not running enough during recently, but can't accuse him of that today. Absolutely worked his socks off, and was rewarded with a lovely goal. Excellent cameo, hopefully played himself into a bit of form just as the season climaxes.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4046 on: April 4, 2024, 10:46:44 pm »
Someone must have had a word with him, he played like a man possessed. Drastic difference between today and the previous cameos. Keep it up, lad! 

Yeah absolutely. Looked like he had a point to prove when he came on. Far more aggressive with the ball than he's been in recent cameos. Deserved the goal and I think he could be crucial in the run in, as a starter and a sub.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4047 on: April 4, 2024, 10:48:08 pm »
Absolutely…right, onto the Gravenberch thread

I've purposely avoided that thread. Can't get my head around people's eagerness and willingness to slag players off. No consistency from the c*nts either. The same cowards are nowhere to be seen when a player does very well.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4048 on: April 4, 2024, 10:57:06 pm »

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #4049 on: April 4, 2024, 10:58:28 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/XV2Rh0e2Cq

Listen up dickheads! :P

It’s almost as if the manager keeps putting him on the pitch for a reason.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #4050 on: April 4, 2024, 11:06:03 pm »
Message from Cody, "Fuck off RAWK".
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4051 on: April 4, 2024, 11:12:37 pm »
That's a proper response, love it. Looked extremely determined from his first seconds. And even put his body about more than he has previously during other good performances

The way Nunez was looking for hm to high five his effort over the bar (pre-goal) and Mac spoke of his hard work in the interview and the way Klopp's just included him in a list of returning injured players 'Cody back in a way' (not a direct quote) makes you wonder if he's been quietly going through something and they've all rallied round him. delighted to see him get the goal reward his performance deserved (not least cos it gave us a relaxing injry time!). Should do his confidence a load of good
Yep agree, thought he was a contributor (as were the brits Robbo Elliot and Jones) to the increased tempo and intensity, not a recipient of it.

That's how I saw it too.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #4052 on: April 4, 2024, 11:15:13 pm »
Really needed that goal. Good shift overall.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4053 on: April 4, 2024, 11:19:12 pm »
Cracking header.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #4054 on: April 4, 2024, 11:20:26 pm »
Don't think a lot people appreciate just how difficult it is to score a goal like that. Lovely technique by Cody.

Yes it was excellent technique……..not an easy goal to score.
#JFT97

Offline fancy lad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4055 on: April 4, 2024, 11:26:18 pm »

I thought so too.

He played with a hunger and tenacity that has not been there for a long stretch of games. 

It was awesome to see.  That kind of drive and spirit will be needed the rest of the way.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4056 on: April 5, 2024, 12:06:59 am »
Looked like Gakpo from last season tonight, just at the right time.
:D

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4057 on: April 5, 2024, 12:14:06 am »
Well done Cody. Really looked up for it.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4058 on: April 5, 2024, 12:16:30 am »
Excellent header for the goal
fantastic header.  would be talked about for weeks if another striker had put that in.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4059 on: April 5, 2024, 12:17:41 am »
I thought so too.

He played with a hunger and tenacity that has not been there for a long stretch of games. 

It was awesome to see.  That kind of drive and spirit will be needed the rest of the way.
He had a bit of a go at Diaz for not playing him in as well (he switched the play to Harvey instead).  Not saying I want our lads arguing with each other but it was good to see Gakpo with that fire in him.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #4060 on: April 5, 2024, 02:54:12 am »
Nice, aggressive play today. Good goal. I hope it jump starts some form. He has had a rough few months, but he can still contribute so much over the next 8 matches.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #4061 on: April 5, 2024, 03:42:00 am »
Great sub appearance by Gakpo.  Not sure what was up recently as he was giving me the same vibes I experienced watching Torres at the end with so little effort.  Tonight was a complete turnaround as he was all over the place and had some beautiful moments of skill thrown in before finishing it off with that great directed header.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4062 on: April 5, 2024, 08:11:00 am »
The international break really helped him. You could see his confidence return and he has now brought that to domestic football. I hate internationals but in this instance, it has really helped.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #4063 on: April 5, 2024, 08:25:44 am »
Great header, just perfect from a great cross from andy.

We're gonna need this type of intensity from here on out. All f-ing out from everyone.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #4064 on: April 5, 2024, 08:46:20 am »
The international break really helped him. You could see his confidence return and he has now brought that to domestic football. I hate internationals but in this instance, it has really helped.
It's the beard.

I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #4065 on: April 5, 2024, 10:09:26 am »
I just don’t believe that anyone in this team, with this manager, would be tolerated not making an effort (which he’s been accused of in here) for a minute. Let alone picked again the next game. Or needed to be ‘had a word with’. I think each player does exactly what he’s capable of doing, given the fitness of their body and mind game to game, or exactly what they’re instructed to do. Never mind the negative pressure from fans, which he’s obviously aware of given the fact players are lining up to praise him. Graveberch is getting exactly the same. These are the players we’ve got. Get behind them, you can slag them off and hope they get sold in the summer if you really need to.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4066 on: April 5, 2024, 10:12:28 am »
I don't really think it's about 'slagging anyone off', people are a bit too oversensitive on here when it comes to that - when someone doesn't play well people are going to say so.  It's good to try and be balanced and give credit where credit's due as well though, maybe some don't do that. He was excellent last night and I hope he continues that because it will make a big difference if he does.

Where it crosses the line is when people use terms like 'finished' etc which are just plainly bollocks.  I had people in the transfer thread swearing up and down to me Matip was finished and Bradley wouldn't be able to play backup RB and Endo was a terrible signing etc etc.  Those things are the things that deserve calling out, not 'Cody's been a bit crap' when he's been a bit crap.  Something about 'effort' is probably borderline but I don't blame people for thinking that, I think the term I used was that he looked like he'd been heavily sedated. Maybe he was knackered.  He looked a different player last night.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2024, 10:15:17 am by JP! »
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4067 on: April 5, 2024, 10:21:12 am »
He won't dribble like Diaz, cause chaos like Darwin or be the constant elite kind of threat that Mo is......his style of play is understated as it is (does a bit of everything really and positions himself well in the forward line). When he's a little bit off he can look a bit of a passenger even though he's not really playing that badly, the recent wave of criticism i thought was a storm in a teacup kinda thing

Because he seems to me to not be the sort of player to remain like that and correct himself - he certainly came on with intent last night and very happy he got that goal. Hope that gives him more confidence if that what was needed....really good to hear his teammates say nice things about him because it shows the unity within the squad.

As long as these lads are pulling for eachother this run-in can go well
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4068 on: April 5, 2024, 10:22:28 am »
I don't really think it's about 'slagging anyone off', people are a bit too oversensitive on here when it comes to that - when someone doesn't play well people are going to say so. It's good to try and be balanced and give credit where credit's due as well though, maybe some don't do that. He was excellent last night and I hope he continues that because it will make a big difference if he does.

Where it crosses the line is when people use terms like 'finished' etc which are just plainly bollocks.  I had people in the transfer thread swearing up and down to me Matip was finished and Bradley wouldn't be able to play backup RB and Endo was a terrible signing etc etc.  Those things are the things that deserve calling out, not 'Cody's been a bit crap' when he's been a bit crap.

Anyway, semantics.  Played well last night. Keep it up.

It'd just be nice to see a bit of context. He's been in and out of the starting line up, played in all sorts of different line ups, lots of different positions, and he's been pretty consistently picked because our other attackers haven't been available. Gravenberch is getting the same treatment now. Endo has had it this season, Gomez has had it recently, frankly even Nunez has, Diaz had it earlier in the season, Robbo has had it just this week.

We're in a season where we're looking like we can compete in all competitions again right to the last games (FA Cup aside obvs), and against a backdrop of a silly amount of injuries which we didnt have when we did it in 21/22. That's absolutely phenomenal and to be quite honest, I don't really think there's any player we've got who particularly deserves any criticism. As boring as you might think that'd make the forum.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4069 on: April 5, 2024, 10:24:19 am »
It'd just be nice to see a bit of context. He's been in and out of the starting line up, played in all sorts of different line ups, lots of different positions, and he's been pretty consistently picked because our other attackers haven't been available. Gravenberch is getting the same treatment now. Endo has had it this season, Gomez has had it recently, frankly even Nunez has, Diaz had it earlier in the season, Robbo has had it just this week.

We're in a season where we're looking like we can compete in all competitions again right to the last games (FA Cup aside obvs), and against a backdrop of a silly amount of injuries which we didnt have when we did it in 21/22. That's absolutely phenomenal and to be quite honest, I don't really think there's any player we've got who particularly deserves any criticism. As boring as you might think that'd make the forum.

There's always some who go too far and say ridiculous shit.  The Nunez thread in particular is a hilarious read sitting here in April.  I think *most* criticism of Gakpo has been of late and largely fair, but I don't think anyone wants him to fail. I was made up for him last night.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #4070 on: April 5, 2024, 10:38:40 am »
I don't really think it's about 'slagging anyone off', people are a bit too oversensitive on here when it comes to that - when someone doesn't play well people are going to say so.  It's good to try and be balanced and give credit where credit's due as well though, maybe some don't do that. He was excellent last night and I hope he continues that because it will make a big difference if he does.

Where it crosses the line is when people use terms like 'finished' etc which are just plainly bollocks.  I had people in the transfer thread swearing up and down to me Matip was finished and Bradley wouldn't be able to play backup RB and Endo was a terrible signing etc etc.  Those things are the things that deserve calling out, not 'Cody's been a bit crap' when he's been a bit crap.  Something about 'effort' is probably borderline but I don't blame people for thinking that, I think the term I used was that he looked like he'd been heavily sedated. Maybe he was knackered.  He looked a different player last night.

Look, I think places like this play a very small part in pushing a narrative, that combines with Reddit and Twitter and the general social media world. And players are affected by it.

I very rarely get involved with player threads, but Ive seen him called a disgrace in here, and what really set me off is seeing people come on here, minutes after we’ve won to take us top of the league and their first thought is to discuss how shit he is. I’ll never understand that mentality. I have no problem with people not thinking someone played well. He’s not played particularly well of late. Banging on about it when the final whistle has just blown is wild.

I’m going to stop coming in here. It’s just this team, this run in. I can’t understand people being negative about it. It might not be this good again for a long time. I’ve seen it bad in 30 years of watching. 

Good luck all, enjoy what’s left  :wave

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4071 on: April 5, 2024, 10:40:34 am »
I’m going to stop coming in here. It’s just this team, this run in. I can’t understand people being negative about it. It might not be this good again for a long time. I’ve seen it bad in 30 years of watching. 

Good luck all, enjoy what’s left  :wave

Haha, that I get, cos I've been defending this squad since fucking August :D

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4072 on: April 5, 2024, 01:03:01 pm »

Well that's interesting because it definitely filters through to the players otherwise Mac Allister wouldn't be calling it out in his post match interview yesterday when he stuck up for Gakpo citing recent criticism.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4073 on: April 5, 2024, 01:12:22 pm »
Well that's interesting because it definitely filters through to the players otherwise Mac Allister wouldn't be calling it out in his post match interview yesterday when he stuck up for Gakpo citing recent criticism.
That's probably a reference to people like Carragher tweeting about him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4074 on: April 5, 2024, 01:16:52 pm »
I dont think people appreciate what a strong squad we have now.
In 2019/20, we had an amazing starting trio of Mane/Bobby/Salah, but on the bench we had Minamino, Origi and Brewster!
We also had Oxlade, Milner and Shaqiri playing in attack at times.
That's a gigantic dropoff in quality, whoever we played

Now our best trio is not as good, but our bench is much better. Which also shows in the stats and how we win many games in the last 15 min.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4075 on: April 5, 2024, 01:18:40 pm »
That's probably a reference to people like Carragher tweeting about him.

All part of the same shite.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4076 on: April 5, 2024, 01:22:17 pm »

Is it? Neither I nor anyone here has Carragher's media profile...nor were we as scathing I don't think bar one guy who wanted to send him to the reserves.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4077 on: April 5, 2024, 02:03:17 pm »
Is it? Neither I nor anyone here has Carragher's media profile...nor were we as scathing I don't think bar one guy who wanted to send him to the reserves.

Don't take the piss, Mac Allister was referring to the general shite Gakpo was getting across the internet of which there's a shit load on here.

Support the fuckin team, we're going for a title.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4078 on: April 5, 2024, 02:40:06 pm »
Don't take the piss, Mac Allister was referring to the general shite Gakpo was getting across the internet of which there's a shit load on here.

Everyone supports the team, doesn't mean you can't discuss tactics, individual performances, team performance, team selection etc etc after the game.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #4079 on: April 5, 2024, 02:46:38 pm »

I do support the team, stop getting so randomly angry at nowt.