Author Topic: Stevie G and Saudi Arabia  (Read 48151 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Stevie G and Saudi Arabia
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2023, 09:50:37 pm »
90% plus people moaning, would do the same as Gerrard in the highly unlikely circumstances that they were ever offered the riches on offer.

This is not true. Far from it. Scientific tests have been run which you appear to be unaware of. It's actually 16.4%. Still too high for my liking (so many greedy bastards), but way below your absurd claim.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2023, 10:09:39 pm »
90% plus people moaning, would do the same as Gerrard in the highly unlikely circumstances that they were ever offered the riches on offer. No one will own up to it, because we're all holier than thou.
Judge the man in a decade. My guess is a lot of good will be done with that dirty money.

If you look around the sportswashing / Qatar World Cup threads you'd find a number of people on here (and elsewhere) already have turned down lucrative work out there - some x3/4/5 their usual salary. Yet none are already millionaires set up for life many times over like Gerrard, Fowler, Firmino, Henderson etc.

None of us are 'holier than thou' - we are simply voicing our disappointment that the likes of Gerrard et al have decided to go be tbe poster boys for the latest sportswashing project of a brutal oppressive regime. Again, if you look around some of us have been voicing our disappointment with Saudi and Qatar sportswashing for quite some time.

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354341.msg18929007#msg18929007

If you have a problem with other people speaking up on here... then that's your problem - no need to try and shit on them for doing so.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2023, 10:10:12 pm »
90% plus people moaning, would do the same as Gerrard in the highly unlikely circumstances that they were ever offered the riches on offer. No one will own up to it, because we're all holier than thou.
Judge the man in a decade. My guess is a lot of good will be done with that dirty money.

Fucking hell, not this bullshit again.

All these lurkers who suddenly pop up defending this kind of shit when sportswashing is involved.

Just lock the thread now someone, please!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2023, 11:57:41 pm »

Maybe he will give some to his irish drug dealer mates

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2023, 07:46:16 pm »

Do you have the data to show this?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2023, 09:12:33 am »

We really need a sticky post at the top of any Saudi related thread, with the 100 of examples of posters stating the reply to this argument. Gets really boring otherwise.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2023, 05:57:16 pm »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2023, 06:10:09 pm »
Played 3 won 0, not got off to a very good start then.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/saudi-pro-league/steven-gerrard-al-ettifaq-saudi-pro-league-liverpool-305447-20230725

Good, hopefully it destroys him.

The unfortunate thing is he'll fail and Sky will hire him to talk absolute bollox like his pal Carragher on TV
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2023, 10:53:19 pm »
Played 3 won 0, not got off to a very good start then.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/saudi-pro-league/steven-gerrard-al-ettifaq-saudi-pro-league-liverpool-305447-20230725

After winning the SPL with Rangers, I think we all had high hopes for Stevie's managerial career. Alas, a career in punditry awaits...

... and serves him right for taking the blood money.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2023, 11:03:18 pm »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2023, 11:08:44 pm »
Wonder how fast he can get himself sacked? I imagine the payoff would be quite handsome.

At this rate, by the time Henderson gets there, Gerrard will be back in the UK.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2023, 11:12:27 pm »
Lads, the season hasn't even started. They are in Croatia for camp and friendlies.  :D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2023, 09:11:28 am »
Lads, the season hasn't even started. They are in Croatia for camp and friendlies.  :D

Yeah, but so far Everton have had a better pre-season, and we all know they're shit. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2023, 09:21:56 am »
Yeah, but so far Everton have had a better pre-season, and we all know they're shit. ;D

Has he hit the giddy heights of a 22-0 win yet?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2023, 09:40:30 am »

Talking bollocks. I turned down the chance to earn more than double what I'm on now, staying in the UK, but involving working away all week for years, not spending time with my wife and not seeing my kids as babies growing. I'd have missed first steps, teaching them things, taking them to nursey/infants/primary, reading to them as I put them to bed, family is a lot more important. Now they are teens, I wouldn't subject my wife to living as a second class citizen just for some money.

On Saturday we were in Manchester with friends, we had a meal then, as we've never been there before, the missus wanted to go to the Gay Village, as it's supposed to be dead chilled and fun, not full of knobheads like the rest of Manchester is. We were in this bar, Club Tropicana and I was sat people watching while my wife danced to 80's stuff. The DJ's were trans (they dedicated I'm coming out to the straight guys in there ;D ) , the dance floor was packed with people having a brilliant time. I was thinking mainly about Hendo, due to his LGBTQ+ chat and I was thinking that in Saudi, they'd behead the DJ's for wearing womens clothes, they've behead the couple kissing and they'd jail or behead the rest. Sickening.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2023, 02:16:27 pm »
Aye but surely Managers / Players / Fans want their team to win every single game they play.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2023, 02:26:58 pm »

Get to fuck with this absolute shite.  I'm fucking sick to the back teeth of being told how I'd behave in these circumstances when I'd do nothing of the fucking sort.

Just because your morals are in the gutter don't fucking tar others as the same!!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2023, 03:32:39 pm »
Get to fuck with this absolute shite.  I'm fucking sick to the back teeth of being told how I'd behave in these circumstances when I'd do nothing of the fucking sort.

Just because your morals are in the gutter don't fucking tar others as the same!!

:wellin

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2023, 04:19:53 pm »
We really need a sticky post at the top of any Saudi related thread, with the 100 of examples of posters stating the reply to this argument. Gets really boring otherwise.

It really does, problem is it's such a trump like, ignorant, dog whistle style of thick as pig shit argument that so many dickeads that crawl out from their twatter caves love to spout. Been done to death about how a normal person has no relevance to a high-profile footballer going there, before we even get onto the money side of it, yet people carry it on.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2023, 08:36:59 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2023, 08:39:18 pm »

this, this and this again.

I'm sick and tired of being told by someone who's never even met me that they know exactly how I would behave in a hypothetical situation that has less chance of happening than me shagging a drunk Bonnie Langford in the TARDIS.

She's not even my type ffs.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2023, 08:51:10 pm »

:wellin :thumbup
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2023, 09:23:21 pm »

It really gets my goat when people say, or type out "we this" and "we that" and I'm like, "erm don't include me in that bullshit".

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2023, 05:36:32 am »
It’s amazing that the man who remains the face of the Arab League, the most famous football person gets off with it so easily. So many people unable or unwilling to confront this crap situation. Just incredibly disappointing.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2023, 10:40:42 am »
It’s amazing that the man who remains the face of the Arab League, the most famous football person gets off with it so easily. So many people unable or unwilling to confront this crap situation. Just incredibly disappointing.

I think that's probably crossed a lot of our minds.

I can think of three reasons why Gerrard isn't getting it in the neck like Henderson is.

1. He left Liverpool for a stint in America and then had further stages in his career at Rangers and Villa so there isn't the direct transition from LFC to Saudi Arabia. That's a big factor I imagine. If Gerrard had abandoned the captaincy of Liverpool half way through a contract in order to take the Saudi coin he probably would have got far more flak than Henderson.

2. In similar vein once a player or manager leaves us the passion we feel for the person does decline in intensity. Our sense of  'ownership' is diluted and so we care less. That's natural.

3. Gerrard never pretended to be anything other than non-political. Henderson most certainly didn't. Therefore there is the added charge of hypocrisy with Hendo. I personally don't put too much emphasis on that. Everyone ought to know that the Saudi regime is one of organised thuggery. It's a betrayal of basic decency to go and play there for money, regardless of whether or not you have a record of support for human rights.

Against these three arguments there is one that could be said to operate in the opposite direction. It's do do with their respective qualities as footballers. Gerrard is perhaps the best footballer ever to pull on a Liverpool jersey. Henderson, though hugely successful as a captain in a truly great team built by Klopp, wouldn't even make the top 300 Liverpool footballers. In pure footballing terms it's a good thing we've got him off our books and that Jurgen doesn't feel the slightest pressure any more to let him start games. Yet, oddly, this factor has done nothing to mitigate the disgust so many feel towards his decision to go and play in the land of the executioners.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2023, 01:07:07 pm »

bravo to you but you are a minority.  A majority of people will leave a work place for more compensation, the work is interesting to them, good working conditions and feel safe.  Morals or principles are different for different people.

Who wouldn't sign for 1 year of work that will almost guarantee the financial future of this family and their kids in the next life?

Past 2 seasons, a lot of supporters said Henderson is done and now he left, we are moaning.

The problem isn't Henderson but the speed we are signing players and the owners who cant make their mind up on the ownership
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2023, 01:15:34 pm »
Good luck to him and Henderson. Hope they smash it.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2023, 01:17:46 pm »

The poster boys for the latest Saudi sportswashing project of a brutal, oppressive, human rights abusing, journalist dismembering, women and child torturing, regime...

:shite:

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2023, 01:20:20 pm »
the faces of pure greed.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2023, 01:26:22 pm »
The poster boys for the latest Saudi sportswashing project of a brutal, oppressive, human rights abusing, journalist dismembering, women and child torturing, regime...

What happens if they put their thumbs down? :o

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2023, 01:27:12 pm »

Two former legends now reduced to two greedy apparatus of a murderous regime.

Shame on them both.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2023, 01:29:07 pm »
Someone should lob a few shoes at them.

Next person who says we'd all do it should get an automatic ban.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2023, 01:30:56 pm »
What happens if they put their thumbs down? :o

Someone gets executed publicly, I think - https://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/21/middleeast/saudi-beheading-video/index.html (from 2015)

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2023, 01:31:41 pm »
Good luck to him and Henderson. Hope they smash it.

I'd say you are trolling but the unfortunate thing is there is a lot of fools like you going by comments on social media. The sportwashing regimes are counting on the stupidity continuing.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2023, 01:57:52 pm »
Chasing greed is the new "I love playing for this club and it's fans".

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2023, 02:01:38 pm »
Who wouldn't sign for 1 year of work that will almost guarantee the financial future of this family and their kids in the next life?
They are all ready as rich as fuck, worth I dunno how many Millions.

PS, I'm on 30k and wouldn't sell my soul for blood money so "Me" I wouldn't.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2023, 02:02:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/Ettifaq_EN/status/1684523750966849537?s=20

I wonder how Henderson feels about the black & white box effect they've put over his armband to block out the rainbow from 00:16. ::)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2023, 02:05:55 pm »
Hoping it will be easy enough to ignore this circus league when it gets going? Won’t be watching any online clips and assume it’s not televised anywhere.

Online RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2023, 02:15:15 pm »
Hoping it will be easy enough to ignore this circus league when it gets going? Won’t be watching any online clips and assume it’s not televised anywhere.

yet

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2023, 02:15:39 pm »
bravo to you but you are a minority.  A majority of people will leave a work place for more compensation, the work is interesting to them, good working conditions and feel safe.  Morals or principles are different for different people.

Past 2 seasons, a lot of supporters said Henderson is done and now he left, we are moaning.

The problem isn't Henderson but the speed we are signing players and the owners who cant make their mind up on the ownership

Did you read through the thread before posting this condescending and contrived drivel?

Or the other sportswashing threads, player sportswashing threads, or Qatar World Cup threads... where other similar views to your have been already been discussed ad nauseum?

a 'minority or majority'... So what? It is irrelevant when it comes values and outlook on life. You're on a Liverpool fan forum, with left-leaning fans, for a left-leaning club, for a left-leaning city. We fucking well know we are often in the minority.
b. "good working conditions and feel safe" - :lmao have a look through the threads for articles where this is wholly disproven (lengthy prison sentences, torture, executions etc). It appears so bad that many players' families actually live in nearby Bahrain - not Saudi itself.
c. "Who wouldn't sign for 1 year of work that will almost guarantee the financial future of this family and their kids in the next life?" - many on here. Have a look through the threads. Your claim is also a false equivalency.
d. "Past 2 seasons, a lot of supporters said Henderson is done and now he left, we are moaning." - projection and contrived. What has that to do with what reddebs and others have posted?

Again, please read through relevant threads before posting the shite you have - inform and educate yourself a little more. Or just go give your head a wobble, and try not to simply repeat patronising and already debunked shite... that has been posted a hundred times before. Thanks.

This may help: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354341.msg18929007#msg18929007 - though others in those various relevant threads put it far better than I can.

Edit: Ah - a quick look through recent posts you like to use whataboutery to try to excuse or defend Saudi Arabia's sportswashing...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354365.msg18932567#msg18932567

And on the ignore list you go.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 03:30:03 pm by oojason »