Author Topic: Larry Lloyd dies aged 75  (Read 2355 times)

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Larry Lloyd dies aged 75
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2024, 10:24:16 am »
I used to love the way we did that. To my mind it was a way of saying that Liverpool would never sign another 'stopper' (sorry Larry) and would deploy skill and technique at the back. And we did.
Shanks and Bob knowing we had to be more “continental “ in our approach,having defenders who were comfortable on the ball ,passing it among themselves and building our play out from the back rather than clem or the centre half (sorry again Larry ) just hoofing it up field,making sure we kept the ball.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:18 am »
Shanks and Bob knowing we had to be more “continental “ in our approach,having defenders who were comfortable on the ball ,passing it among themselves and building our play out from the back rather than clem or the centre half (sorry again Larry ) just hoofing it up field,making sure we kept the ball.

That's right. Red Star was a game-changer wasn't it?

The thing is that Larry Lloyd excelled in a Brian Clough team that also played possession-based footy. Clough converted a decent forward (Kenny Burns) into cultured centre back. But Lloyd held down a position alongside him. Did he adapt his game for Forest? I can't quite remember.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024, 10:55:28 am »

The thing is that Larry Lloyd excelled in a Brian Clough team that also played possession-based footy. Clough converted a decent forward (Kenny Burns) into cultured centre back. But Lloyd held down a position alongside him. Did he adapt his game for Forest? I can't quite remember.
From memory I think Lloyd continued to play in the traditional centre half way as forest were trying to establish themselves once they’d got promoted into the old first division as was .
He must have adapted his game somewhat along side burns as they formed a very effective centre back pairing,very difficult to break down ,as they gathered momentum in that league winning season they had in 78.
I always thought of them more a soak up the pressure and hit you on the break ,kind of side ,often taking the lead against the run of play .
Loathe  as I am to give clough any praise ,he did know how to pick up players whos careers seemed to be on the slide or going nowhere and breathing a new lease of life into them and getting the very best out of them as was very much the case with Larry.
One of the few who left us and eventually won more .
I’m sure it didn’t end well at forest for him asi think he had a fall out with clough over some minor thing and clough showed him the door pretty sharpe ,probably for daring to stand up to the bully he was .
The red star game was indeed a game changer,early round of the European cup and they played us off the park with a possession based game .as you rightly say ,it was a game changer and shanks knew we had to change to it .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:07:09 am by 9 kemlyn road »

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2024, 11:17:37 am »

I'm not sure I've ever seen Kenny Burns described as cultured Yorky. He could play no doubt, but 'no nonsense' springs to my mind, first and foremost. Him and Larry certainly put up a formidable defensive wall that we definitely had trouble breaching. And I don't think Larry did adapt his game as I remember. Just win the ball and give it to the 'cultured' John McGovern.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2024, 11:23:45 am »
I'm not sure I've ever seen Kenny Burns described as cultured Yorky. He could play no doubt, but 'no nonsense' springs to my mind, first and foremost. Him and Larry certainly put up a formidable defensive wall that we definitely had trouble breaching. And I don't think Larry did adapt his game as I remember. Just win the ball and give it to the 'cultured' John McGovern.

He was as hard nails, sure. But I also remember him being silky in possession. It was unusual in those days for centre backs to possess flair. Our lads did - Thommo, Emlyn, Smithy - but the only others I can remember were Burns and Colin Todd (both Clough centre halves of course).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2024, 11:24:04 am »
Yes win the ball and hit teams on the break .and they were a huge thorn in our sides at that time.I think Lloyd got got great pleasure from getting it over us .
As the song went ,Larry ,Larry shithouse Lloyd …lol
Sorry Larry ..again ..lol

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2024, 11:46:31 am »
He was as hard nails, sure. But I also remember him being silky in possession. It was unusual in those days for centre backs to possess flair. Our lads did - Thommo, Emlyn, Smithy - but the only others I can remember were Burns and Colin Todd (both Clough centre halves of course).

Roy McFarland was another and ironically a Liverpool lad. Colin Todd definitely. Coincidentally I saw Colin Todd last year in a shop in Northumberland. He looked immaculate and hardly aged from how I remembered him from his playing days. Clearly looking after himself.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2024, 12:04:22 pm »
Roy McFarland was another and ironically a Liverpool lad. Colin Todd definitely. Coincidentally I saw Colin Todd last year in a shop in Northumberland. He looked immaculate and hardly aged from how I remembered him from his playing days. Clearly looking after himself.
Both of them very good players.if my memory is correct I think McFarland either began his  career at tranmere or ended there ,maybe both .and not sure but maybe Todd played for Everton at some point after derby .

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2024, 03:47:48 pm »
Article in the Telegraph for anyone who can't access the link

Larry Lloyd fell victim to Bob Paisley’s grand Liverpool plan – then proved him wrong
Lloyd, who has died at the age of 75, won one league title and back-to-back European Cups with Forest after a successful spell at Liverpool
In the autumn of 1977, Larry Lloyd, who has died aged 75, broke a bone in his foot while playing for newly-promoted Nottingham Forest. As cover, the club manager Brian Clough bought David Needham from Queens Park Rangers. And, with Needham outstanding at the heart of the defence, Forest’s astonishing rise continued unabated, their victory role in Lloyd’s absence including a 4-0 win at Manchester United. But the moment Lloyd was fit, Clough put him straight back in the team.

“You may wonder why I did that,” the manager said to Needham in front of the rest of the players. “You’ve done brilliantly. And you’re a lovely lad. In fact if I had a daughter, I’d be delighted if she ended up with you.”

Then he pointed at Lloyd. “But him, he’s a f------ b------.”
Voted on several occasions as Forest’s hardest ever player (“I wasn’t that hard I was just clumsy at times,” he once insisted), for five years Lloyd acted as Clough’s unabashed enforcer on the field. As the club won the league title, two League Cups and, gloriously, two European Cups, he was the uncompromising rock around which the defence was built. Never mind that the pair did not get on personally - Lloyd maintained that the manager’s refusal ever to compliment him on a performance irked him to distraction -theirs was a magnificent, silverware-bedecked sporting relationship. And it was one, he often reflected, that would never have come about had he not made a fuss about being overlooked at a previous club, Liverpool.

He had arrived at Anfield from Bristol Rovers as a raw 20-year-old in 1969. Bill Shankly quickly promoted him to the first team and by 1973, when he played every minute of every game in a season in which Liverpool won the league title and the Uefa Cup, he was an integral part of the team. The following season however, when he was injured, Phil Thompson was promoted in his place. New manager Bob Paisley, preferring the more accomplished passing of Thompson to Lloyd’s blunderbuss manner, kept the newcomer in the side even when the stalwart was fully fit. Lloyd was not happy. “I threw my toys out the pram,” he once admitted. And demanded a transfer.

Always shrewd in the market, Paisley sold him to Coventry City for a club record £260,000. Such a huge outlay was it, Coventry were soon in financial trouble and sought to offload their pricey new recruit. At which point, in came Clough. He was looking for an experienced, tough, no-messing defender. But with Forest then sitting in the middle of the second division, it was not an easy sell. Though, as Lloyd later reflected, Clough was “a very, very clever man.” And, after an initial loan spell, the manager persuaded the defender to sign for the club by way of offering him a new washing machine. With the new white goods plumbed into his home, Lloyd signed up and turned up at the Forest training ground, where he was accosted by one of the laundry staff. “Are you Larry Lloyd?” he was asked. “Well, you’ve just cost us our washing machine. The manager sent two blokes down to take it round to your house.”

It was worth the investment. Despite being the most fined player of Clough’s era (he was once docked two weeks wages for punching Peter Osgood in a fog so thick the referee missed it; the manager didn’t) he was a towering presence in the team. His best performance, he always reckoned, was against Hamburg in Forest’s second European triumph. He was so good, in 1980, by now in his thirties, he was recalled to the England side nine years after earning his first three international caps. It was not an auspicious return: England lost 4-1 to Wales, and he never played for his country again.
The following season, though, he was told by Clough he was getting too old for Forest. But by way of compensation Clough agreed to talk up his potential as a manager, mentioning in several interviews that he could become a top boss. As a result, he was offered a job at Wigan as player manager. Though it was something of a climbdown. As he recalled, he played in the Intercontinental Cup final in Tokyo and the following Saturday, played for Wigan at Rochdale.

But he was a success at Wigan, leading them to promotion to the third tier. His abilities caught the eye of the board at Notts County, then in the top flight, who invited him back to the banks of the Trent. However his Forest connections meant he never won over the fans and, with County relegated, he was soon let go.
He stayed in Nottingham however, buying a couple of pubs and a night club, and turning out as a highly opinionated pundit for local radio. After a spell living in Spain, where he invested successfully in property developments, he returned to the city and was a regular at Forest home games, feted by fans who recalled his part in the glory days.

“People often ask me what was my biggest regret in the game,” he once said. “And I suppose I should say it was a massive mistake to kick off at Liverpool. But then if I hadn’t, I’d never have gone to Forest. And that’s where I had the time of my life.”

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 09:11:47 pm »
RIP Big Man...... the song I remember was to the tune of this. "Oh Larry,Oh Larry Larry Lloyd, oh Larry Lloyd"

https://youtu.be/HKp9e1_YsWk?si=TGUwX40ND6e8eQ2M

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 11:15:55 pm »
Article in the Telegraph for anyone who can't access the link

Larry Lloyd fell victim to Bob Paisley’s grand Liverpool plan – then proved him wrong
Lloyd, who has died at the age of 75, won one league title and back-to-back European Cups with Forest after a successful spell at Liverpool
In the autumn of 1977, Larry Lloyd, who has died aged 75, broke a bone in his foot while playing for newly-promoted Nottingham Forest. As cover, the club manager Brian Clough bought David Needham from Queens Park Rangers. And, with Needham outstanding at the heart of the defence, Forest’s astonishing rise continued unabated, their victory role in Lloyd’s absence including a 4-0 win at Manchester United. But the moment Lloyd was fit, Clough put him straight back in the team.

“You may wonder why I did that,” the manager said to Needham in front of the rest of the players. “You’ve done brilliantly. And you’re a lovely lad. In fact if I had a daughter, I’d be delighted if she ended up with you.”

Then he pointed at Lloyd. “But him, he’s a f------ b------.”
Voted on several occasions as Forest’s hardest ever player (“I wasn’t that hard I was just clumsy at times,” he once insisted), for five years Lloyd acted as Clough’s unabashed enforcer on the field. As the club won the league title, two League Cups and, gloriously, two European Cups, he was the uncompromising rock around which the defence was built. Never mind that the pair did not get on personally - Lloyd maintained that the manager’s refusal ever to compliment him on a performance irked him to distraction -theirs was a magnificent, silverware-bedecked sporting relationship. And it was one, he often reflected, that would never have come about had he not made a fuss about being overlooked at a previous club, Liverpool.

He had arrived at Anfield from Bristol Rovers as a raw 20-year-old in 1969. Bill Shankly quickly promoted him to the first team and by 1973, when he played every minute of every game in a season in which Liverpool won the league title and the Uefa Cup, he was an integral part of the team. The following season however, when he was injured, Phil Thompson was promoted in his place. New manager Bob Paisley, preferring the more accomplished passing of Thompson to Lloyd’s blunderbuss manner, kept the newcomer in the side even when the stalwart was fully fit. Lloyd was not happy. “I threw my toys out the pram,” he once admitted. And demanded a transfer.

Always shrewd in the market, Paisley sold him to Coventry City for a club record £260,000. Such a huge outlay was it, Coventry were soon in financial trouble and sought to offload their pricey new recruit. At which point, in came Clough. He was looking for an experienced, tough, no-messing defender. But with Forest then sitting in the middle of the second division, it was not an easy sell. Though, as Lloyd later reflected, Clough was “a very, very clever man.” And, after an initial loan spell, the manager persuaded the defender to sign for the club by way of offering him a new washing machine. With the new white goods plumbed into his home, Lloyd signed up and turned up at the Forest training ground, where he was accosted by one of the laundry staff. “Are you Larry Lloyd?” he was asked. “Well, you’ve just cost us our washing machine. The manager sent two blokes down to take it round to your house.”

It was worth the investment. Despite being the most fined player of Clough’s era (he was once docked two weeks wages for punching Peter Osgood in a fog so thick the referee missed it; the manager didn’t) he was a towering presence in the team. His best performance, he always reckoned, was against Hamburg in Forest’s second European triumph. He was so good, in 1980, by now in his thirties, he was recalled to the England side nine years after earning his first three international caps. It was not an auspicious return: England lost 4-1 to Wales, and he never played for his country again.
The following season, though, he was told by Clough he was getting too old for Forest. But by way of compensation Clough agreed to talk up his potential as a manager, mentioning in several interviews that he could become a top boss. As a result, he was offered a job at Wigan as player manager. Though it was something of a climbdown. As he recalled, he played in the Intercontinental Cup final in Tokyo and the following Saturday, played for Wigan at Rochdale.

But he was a success at Wigan, leading them to promotion to the third tier. His abilities caught the eye of the board at Notts County, then in the top flight, who invited him back to the banks of the Trent. However his Forest connections meant he never won over the fans and, with County relegated, he was soon let go.
He stayed in Nottingham however, buying a couple of pubs and a night club, and turning out as a highly opinionated pundit for local radio. After a spell living in Spain, where he invested successfully in property developments, he returned to the city and was a regular at Forest home games, feted by fans who recalled his part in the glory days.

“People often ask me what was my biggest regret in the game,” he once said. “And I suppose I should say it was a massive mistake to kick off at Liverpool. But then if I hadn’t, I’d never have gone to Forest. And that’s where I had the time of my life.”

The article is a bit misleading as it alludes that Paisley was wrong to let Lloyd be sold. In fact, it seems a great bit of business, with LFC getting a big fee for a player who did not fit in with the new tactical plan - and it was not as if LFC did not have great defenders to cover.  Also, by the sounds of it Lloyd himself did not believe it was a mistake either.  RIP Larry.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2024, 07:45:32 am »

The article is a bit misleading as it alludes that Paisley was wrong to let Lloyd be sold. In fact, it seems a great bit of business, with LFC getting a big fee for a player who did not fit in with the new tactical plan - and it was not as if LFC did not have great defenders to cover.  Also, by the sounds of it Lloyd himself did not believe it was a mistake either.  RIP Larry.

True as Larry said he had the time of his life at Forest and Phil Thompson was a great player and  suited the system better I think

Offline Kenrick_66

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2024, 09:58:43 am »
Kenny Burns was hard - ok Glaswegian - but he could play. Remember he started off playing up front at Birmingham alongside Trevor Francis. Check him out below scoring a first minute goal at Anfield in 77. His positional transformation was Ray Kennedy on steroids. When we played Forest 77-80 we barely got a sniff of a goal with him and Lloyd at centre half but Forest defended from the front against us so the defence had lots of protection. Sort of Houllier era Liverpool set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKeKdSG3-s

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2024, 11:20:30 pm »
RIP big Larry. A true redman
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline wolves76

• Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2024, 02:22:06 pm »
Sad news. One of the first players I can truly remember disliking!  He seemed to have a grudge against Liverpool which looking back is understandable. He was an important member of Shanklys last title winning side and although I am too young to remember Larry Lloyd at Liverpool,  I DO remember us often dominating those Forest teams but with Lloyd and Burns as rough house centre backs holding us at bay. Larry Lloyd once went up for a challenge with David Johnson and both Johnsons boots came off as they landed!

Neither Liverpool or Forest lost out in his transfer to the City Ground via Coventry.   Our style of football changed to a more ball playing from the back approach and we went on to dominate domestically and in Europe for the next 15 years.  Our biggest challengers in the late 70s were Nottingham Forest and they stopped us potentially winning the European Cup for three years on the trot.  Larry Lloyd was an integral part of that team and its sad that he had to sell his medals and fell on harder times.  All the best and rest in peace Larry.  You were a great competitor and a proven consistent winner for both teams.