Author Topic: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50  (Read 50368 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50
« Reply #840 on: January 8, 2019, 10:01:48 am »
I cannot believe the number of idiots who have insinuated that Klopp set the team up and sent them out to fail,some dickheads have also claimed that Jurgen looked upset when we equalised.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: January 8, 2019, 10:02:09 am »
Personally I’d happily see us bow out of the CL too if it meant securing the league. I’m philosophical about everything bar the league.

One of the liverpool reporting lads [i've already forgotten who, neil jones maybe?] tweeted this morning what a millstone the league is around our neck and that no amount of fa cups can fix that, even a 6th european cup couldn't.

Now, personally, I'd always prefer to win a european cup above all else, but I can see where hes' coming from.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #842 on: January 8, 2019, 10:02:30 am »
You missed the point spectacularly but well done.

The cold, hard reality is that for Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, the Premier League and Champions League will take much greater  precedence over the FA Cup.  Success in those competitions or, in the case of Arsenal and Chelsea now, qualification for the Champions League take priority over the FA Cup - Van Gaal and Conte won the FA Cup and got sacked in large part because they didn’t meet expectations in the PL and CL.  That’s how it is now, as great as winning trophies are, the FA Cup is not viewed by the bigger clubs in this country as a real barometer or success.

Don’t be so condescending. I haven’t missed the point at all. I get what you’re trying to say but I don’t agree with it. Obviously the league and cL take priority but there’s a middle ground in between not caring at all(which is what a lot of our fans are saying)and making it no 1 priority.

Owners of clubs don’t care as there’s no money in it. That doesn’t mean the fans have to stop caring.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: January 8, 2019, 10:03:07 am »
I cannot believe the number of idiots who have insinuated that Klopp set the team up and sent them out to fail,some dickheads have also claimed that Jurgen looked upset when we equalised.

Ha ha, he didn't look upset but he didn't even look 50% as happy as he usually is the big boss fucking legend.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #844 on: January 8, 2019, 10:04:18 am »
I'm English. I'm 50 years old. I never gave much of a shit about the FA Cup - because we never did very well in it, while we were winning league titles and European Cups. The players never gave much of a shit at all about the League Cup, until they decided to prove they could win it if they wanted to, and did so 4 years in a row. The first game I ever went to was a League Cup game at Sheffield United in 1978. We lost (my uncle supported Sheffield - "Does that make us European Champions now?"). Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hughes, Kennedy, Case, McDermott, Souness, Kennedy, Heighway, Dalglish. European Champions. Sheffield United were in the 2nd Division. They got relegated to the 3rd that season.

Your post makes me sad. The day I feel that way is the day I give up on football.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: January 8, 2019, 10:04:49 am »
Don’t be so condescending. I haven’t missed the point at all. I get what you’re trying to say but I don’t agree with it. Obviously the league and cL take priority but there’s a middle ground in between not caring at all(which is what a lot of our fans are saying)and making it no 1 priority.

Owners of clubs don’t care as there’s no money in it. That doesn’t mean the fans have to stop caring.

Do you think that both the team and JK didn't care ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #846 on: January 8, 2019, 10:05:32 am »
Of course if we win the league, no one will be arsed about the LC or FA cup. But that’s a big IF. Our chances in the league are 50/50 at best and we just let man city have the initiative too whilst we are questioning ourselves.

Let's say our chances of the league are 50/50. Where there are 17 games left, where we are 4 points clear and don't have to play City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs away. You know exactly what games we have to play.

What are our chances in the FA Cup before the game yesterday? A competition where City, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea are all still in the competition. We could play multiple of those teams away. And can't lose. We might not play any of those teams in the FA Cup. We may end up needing to beat 2 or 3 of them on the way to trophy.

We should be prioritising the league due to stature of the competition. There's an argument that as it stood before the game yesterday that winning the FA Cup would be no easier than winning the league. All depends on the unknown of the draw.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: January 8, 2019, 10:06:17 am »
Your post makes me sad. The day I feel that way is the day I give up on football.
Don't do that. Just give up on RAWK.
:)

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #848 on: January 8, 2019, 10:06:53 am »

To be fair since he’s been here he’s hardly given the impression that he really wants it and most people I know who go everywhere expect a reserve team from Klopp in the FA Cup and expect to go ou. We haven’t been past the 4th round under him which is really poor for a club the size of LFC

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #849 on: January 8, 2019, 10:08:39 am »
We did and we’ve been brilliant so far in the league. Although I wasn’t impressed with how we approached the man city game.

We just lost 2 in a row now and questions are being asked now. The pressure is on and it’s not guaranteed we will cope. Saturday is massive. Don’t win that and everyone will be flapping.

The only one flapping is you. We will win on Saturday.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: January 8, 2019, 10:08:46 am »
Liverpool ‘s global profile is not going to be affected by the FA Cup. Our appeal is enhanced by success in the Champions’ League and Premiership. At this moment, these are the two most important competitions for us, despite the protestations of a minority of fans.
There is a romanticism about the FA Cup, which unfortunately doesn’t do anything to the balance sheet of LFC. Times have moved on

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #851 on: January 8, 2019, 10:08:47 am »
Don't do that. Just give up on RAWK.
:)

Why would I do that, because I’m of a different mentality? Is that what happens on here when people don’t agree, just get them to leave?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: January 8, 2019, 10:09:20 am »
Honestly, yes.
The prestige of the FA cup has eroded over the years, and now the top teams don't take it very seriously anymore. This further erodes the prestige, etc. It's in a negative spiral, and FA is doing nothing to stop it. Yesterday the currently best team was eliminated since they used their squad players, which erodes the value for whoever wins it in the end. It's not a tournament for the top players anymore.

The FA cup has become a competition for the second tier clubs that see a chance for a title, and I think FA likes it like this. When the top teams prioritize the league and CL, the lesser teams have a better chance. If they really wanted the best players to play, they could make a number of obvious changes. I think it's doomed anyway, and I don't know of any country where the domestic cup isn't struggling.

Not sure about the second tier comment as with the odd exception (cup comps will always have the odd surprise) a team from the Top 4 has won the competition the past two decades.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: January 8, 2019, 10:09:32 am »
Honest to God I believe deep down in side some of you are masochists, you seem to enjoy and revel in absolute misery and something to whinge about. It's no coincidence as soon as it's a poor result,whatever the competition,, you're chomping at the bit with the ''i told you so's'' about xyz, some of yous are even more arsed about being right about something than actually enjoying the same side you've been supporting all of your life.

The inability to have perspective and context and be objective is inexcusable as a logical thinking human being let alone a Liverpool supporter

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: January 8, 2019, 10:10:23 am »
To be fair since he’s been here he’s hardly given the impression that he really wants it and most people I know who go everywhere expect a reserve team from Klopp in the FA Cup and expect to go ou. We haven’t been past the 4th round under him which is really poor for a club the size of LFC

It's poor for the FA cup that a club of our size ultimately doesn't care about it. That's the reality.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #855 on: January 8, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
So Klopp says to himself Iam playing Mignolet tonight just incase Allison gets injured. Yeah. Go'ead.

That’s what Klopp was thinking, I bet. Not that Alisson was likely to get injured v Wolves, but that it’s possible he might pick up a knock in any game, or might get a red, and that it’s sensible to keep goalie number 2 in a little bit of match trim.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #856 on: January 8, 2019, 10:13:49 am »
Let's say our chances of the league are 50/50. Where there are 17 games left, where we are 4 points clear and don't have to play City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs away. You know exactly what games we have to play.

What are our chances in the FA Cup before the game yesterday? A competition where City, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea are all still in the competition. We could play multiple of those teams away. And can't lose. We might not play any of those teams in the FA Cup. We may end up needing to beat 2 or 3 of them on the way to trophy.

We should be prioritising the league due to stature of the competition. There's an argument that as it stood before the game yesterday that winning the FA Cup would be no easier than winning the league. All depends on the unknown of the draw.

I’m not saying don’t prioritise the league, I defo want us to prioritise the league. I’m glad we rested players yesterday. It’s the attitude that no one cares that I don’t agree with.

The unpredictable nature of the cup is the beauty of it! Would you rather it’s seeded? Although I’m not completely against seeding the 3rd round so that the lowest ranked 10 teams play the highest ranked 10 teams.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: January 8, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
That’s what Klopp was thinking, I bet. Not that Alisson was likely to get injured v Wolves, but that it’s possible he might pick up a knock in any game, or might get a red, and that it’s sensible to keep goalie number 2 in a little bit of match trim.

Imagine he played last night and something had happened

:butt

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #858 on: January 8, 2019, 10:14:20 am »
Well this club is in England mate. So everyone coming from afar to own, manage, play and support us should get on board with trying win the fa cup, not us changing for you. LFC wouldn’t be club it is today if it wasn’t for its trophy laden past, that includes winning the domestic cups.
You can think what you want, no problem, but it's obvious that you are in a small and shrinking minority now. 

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #859 on: January 8, 2019, 10:14:29 am »
It's poor for the FA cup that a club of our size ultimately doesn't care about it. That's the reality.

But only we can change our own attitude towards it.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: January 8, 2019, 10:15:19 am »

I see where you are coming from on this. But what are you suggesting Klopp should have done differently?

Would have have liked to see him select VvD, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah? A selection of these play and then rotate again for Brighton?

After a very tough December when most of our 'big' players have played every game we need to rotate at some point. Yesterday was the 12th game since November 24th. Those 12 games have included PSG (a), Napoli in a must win CL game, United (h), Arsenal (h), Everton (h), City (a). That's a lot of high intensity games packed into a short period. We managed to open up a 4 point lead at the top of the table and progress into the last 16 of the CL during this period. We did this with minimal rotation. Maybe we could have rotated more and then been able to go stronger in the FA Cup game. Maybe in that scenario we might be out of the CL or have less than a 4 point gap though.

Who knows? What I can say with certainty is that I would have taken a record of W17 D3 L1 in the league and into the last 16 of the CL if it meant we went out of both cups at the 1st hurdle. Disappointing not to still be in either domestic cup competition but in the wider picture we are in a better position than we have been at this stage for about 29 years.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #861 on: January 8, 2019, 10:16:45 am »
You can think what you want, no problem, but it's obvious that you are in a small and shrinking minority now.

Yeah it looks that way mate, but I won’t change. I’m not a sheep.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: January 8, 2019, 10:19:32 am »
Why would I do that, because I’m of a different mentality? Is that what happens on here when people don’t agree, just get them to leave?
No, disagreement is fine if you manage it without implying that others don't care as much as you do, or don't get it because they're not English.

The point of my post about losing to Sheffield United (which apparently made you sad), was that I did care. I was 9 years old, and I cried because we'd been beaten by Sheffield United in the League Cup. Later that season, we won the title, while they were relegated to the third division. We won the league 8 out of 12 seasons. We won the European again the year after. The side we put out against Sheffield should certainly have won that match, but either it didn't really care or it just couldn't muster the intensity that a bunch of second division journeymen did. Because in the end, it's not the title and it's not the European Cup.

Plenty of Liverpool fans don't care nearly as much about the domestic cups as the league; certainly not when we haven't won it in 28 years and are in a title race that depends on us keeping our best players fit and healthy. Of course you can disagree, but don't be too holier-than-thou about it.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: January 8, 2019, 10:20:18 am »

Out of interest, what inspired you to join the forum yesterday?

On the subject of Englishness and the attitude to the cup. The first time I saw us win the FA Cup we didn't have an English manager, and we didn't have single English player in the starting 11. I've seen us win 4 FA Cups since then. Not one of them with an English manager. The attitude to the cup  has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with the changing demands of the modern game.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: January 8, 2019, 10:20:40 am »
I’m not saying don’t prioritise the league, I defo want us to prioritise the league. I’m glad we rested players yesterday. It’s the attitude that no one cares that I don’t agree with.

The unpredictable nature of the cup is the beauty of it! Would you rather it’s seeded? Although I’m not completely against seeding the 3rd round so that the lowest ranked 10 teams play the highest ranked 10 teams.

I care that we got beat. I care that it's a competition that we now can't win. I've had great days watching Liverpool win domestic cup finals- Everton 86 through to West Ham 06. I'd love us to have another one of those days out at Wembley.

But I'm not going to criticise the manager for rotating yesterday. My disappointment lies with going out and certain fringe players not taking their chances. In context of this season, it doesn't seem that big a moment currently. If we end up winning the league this season, that Wolves game will be seen as a mere footnote. In this context I can see why currently people are viewing this game with much less importance than maybe the FA Cup would normally be afforded.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: January 8, 2019, 10:24:13 am »
Like lots of things the truth is somewhere in the middle and a hell of a lot more nuanced. Jookie's post last night (I think) which highlighted what we've actually done since 2006 is a good case in point. Seeing the wider context does not necessarily mean indifference to the FA Cup.

I'm not sure many people were arguing that we had a squad that could compete for 3-4 competitions when our recent history has shown us falling short when chasing one cup, let alone multiple trophies. League in 14, Europa in 16, and last year were all examples of a thin squad, short on options falling short. The squad is in better shape and improving, but unless we are very lucky with injuries we are not there yet.

We may have more numbers, but there are form issues, compatibility issues and fitness issues. Henderson, Milner, Shaqiri, current form Kieta are examples of players that add depth to the squad and are of the right quality as well as being able to fit the system. On the other hand players like Clyne, Origi, Sturridge, Lallana, Mignolet, Moreno are either not good enough, not reliable enough, not compatible or in some cases all 3. Those 6 players alone are taking up significant wages which could be used for players that offer more. That doesn't mean Sturridge cannot do the odd 20 while he's still here, or we can't chuck Origi on for the last 10 in an emergency, but longer term we need more from those squad places.

Despite the rotation, arguably the intention was for the team to have been stronger last night. Last year it was midfield injuries, this time it's defence, and that coincided with the need to give Van Dijk a break. Added to that is our abject luck with draws over the last couple of seasons which has hardly helped matters when it comes to gaining a foothold in a competition whilst also resting players. City and Chelsea do seem to get regular home draws v lower division opposition don't they?

I love cup finals and have had some great times at them and am sympathetic with some of the views, but it is not as simple as saying that we exist to win trophies. The league is tougher to win than ever before, when you are looking towards 95 points, that places a completely different perspective on planning a league season than simply being less inconsistent than everyone else and walking away with a title with 78 points. Under Klopp had we lifted the league Cup and FA Cup, but perhaps not reached European finals or qualified for the CL twice, it would not be difficult to guess the refrain wold it?
"Salah needs to be in the Champions League" "Mane needs to see he can compete for the top trophies" Do we attract Allison and Van Dijk with our 2016 league Cup?

This is Klopp's third full season; in his second we reached the European Cup Final, this season we are in a title challenge. This is on top of a bonus Europa Final and back to back top 4 finishes. We are now competing for the top trophies. The squad is better, but not there yet. If the 6 players mentioned above are replace with say 4 that can comfortably be interchanged with the "first" 11 without weakening it and then supplemented with some Trent quality youngsters, we may even be able to compete for 3 trophies next year, but as a fanbase we've got to stop over reacting to the slightest thing, appreciate how far we've come and understand how the competitive environment around us has changed since the times when we used to win everything every year.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 10:30:24 am by Charlie Adams fried egg right »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #866 on: January 8, 2019, 10:25:42 am »
Of course buts that’s a long way off. Don’t win the league or cL and people will question the decisions in the cups.

Everyone also just assumes we will be back on it at Brighton, but it doesn’t work like that.

I see - you feel it would be advantageous to have injured, tired players in our next fixture rather than uninjured rested players?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: January 8, 2019, 10:26:23 am »
Ultimately, we've largely done badly in the cups because we've had tricky draws. If we'd had Rotherham or Tranmere we could have put that team out, won 3-0 and no one would have cared. Equally, Tottenham could have put out their B team away at a full-strength Wolves and come a cropper. We've had bad luck with injuries in recent years and our first 11 have arguably been overplayed this season, so are people suggesting we should have prioritised this game above the league? Brighton certainly haven't - they largely played a reserve team on the weekend too.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #868 on: January 8, 2019, 10:26:59 am »
I see where you are coming from on this. But what are you suggesting Klopp should have done differently?

Would have have liked to see him select VvD, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah? A selection of these play and then rotate again for Brighton?

After a very tough December when most of our 'big' players have played every game we need to rotate at some point. Yesterday was the 12th game since November 24th. Those 12 games have included PSG (a), Napoli in a must win CL game, United (h), Arsenal (h), Everton (h), City (a). That's a lot of high intensity games packed into a short period. We managed to open up a 4 point lead at the top of the table and progress into the last 16 of the CL during this period. We did this with minimal rotation. Maybe we could have rotated more and then been able to go stronger in the FA Cup game. Maybe in that scenario we might be out of the CL or have less than a 4 point gap though.

Who knows? What I can say with certainty is that I would have taken a record of W17 D3 L1 in the league and into the last 16 of the CL if it meant we went out of both cups at the 1st hurdle. Disappointing not to still be in either domestic cup competition but in the wider picture we are in a better position than we have been at this stage for about 29 years.

I’m not saying he should have done much different mate. I don’t think we had our usual intensity tho. I think the chance to put out a better team went when we got beat against Man City. I think if we’d beat them we may of made a few changes here and a few against Brighton, split the rotation between the two games. That’s why I was disappointed with the way we approached the Man City game. We tried to not get beat rather try to win.

I’m made up with the league form and I’m desperate to see us win it. I was there as a 6 year old in 1990 when we last won it but I don’t remember and I’m desperate to win it again. We need it as a club. I love Klopp and think the team is boss. I just think the league is too much of a long shot to be giving up on other competitions.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #869 on: January 8, 2019, 10:28:58 am »
I see - you feel it would be advantageous to have injured, tired players in our next fixture rather than uninjured rested players?

Yeah that’s what I’ve said. Why would everyone get injured? Should we rest them against Brighton too in case they get injured? I said this earlier, people have been brainwashed.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #870 on: January 8, 2019, 10:31:32 am »
I care that we got beat. I care that it's a competition that we now can't win. I've had great days watching Liverpool win domestic cup finals- Everton 86 through to West Ham 06. I'd love us to have another one of those days out at Wembley.

But I'm not going to criticise the manager for rotating yesterday. My disappointment lies with going out and certain fringe players not taking their chances. In context of this season, it doesn't seem that big a moment currently. If we end up winning the league this season, that Wolves game will be seen as a mere footnote. In this context I can see why currently people are viewing this game with much less importance than maybe the FA Cup would normally be afforded.

I haven’t criticised the manager for rotating tho.

We are all putting our eggs in the league basket now. It going to be intense. Fingers crossed we do it but I’m doubtful as Man City will power ahead now

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: January 8, 2019, 10:33:46 am »
I haven’t criticised the manager for rotating tho.

We are all putting our eggs in the league basket now. It going to be intense. Fingers crossed we do it but I’m doubtful as Man City will power ahead now

You're right. We played the reserves against wolves in a 2nd tier competition and that should be enough to give city the momentum.

Enjoy the brief remaining time of posting on this forum.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: January 8, 2019, 10:34:23 am »
Fingers crossed we do it but I’m doubtful as Man City will power ahead now
That's the spirit.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #873 on: January 8, 2019, 10:36:19 am »
Yeah that’s what I’ve said. Why would everyone get injured? Should we rest them against Brighton too in case they get injured? I said this earlier, people have been brainwashed.

Lovren played in the FA Cup fixture. He is now injured. If we'd played other first team players, it's possible that they could have been injured or red carded.

If they'd been injured or red carded or were unavailable for the next fixture then would that be an advantage to Liverpool FC in the league?

If we'd played other first team players, do you think they would be more tired or less tired in the next fixture? Do you think that a player that wasn't selected for the last fixture would likely to be more tired or feel more rested in the subsequent fixture given the large number of games we recently played?

You are hardly in a position to say "Yeah that’s what I’ve said" given your take on people that have given their take on their opinion on the game last night and which players did/didn't play.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #874 on: January 8, 2019, 10:38:36 am »

Not to mention any replays. I can’t see how anyone could argue that our chances of winning the league would NOT drop if we stayed in the cup. To me, putting any distraction in front of winning #19 is unacceptable. As Royhendo said, controversial, but I agree with him, I include the CL in that. It’s been our unicorn for the last 30 year. Any slight chance of winning it and we have to go all in.

If we’d won the league a couple of times recently, then I’d probably feel different. It’s been a generation and we need to put it right. Nothing gets in the way.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #875 on: January 8, 2019, 10:40:15 am »
You're right. We played the reserves against wolves in a 2nd tier competition and that should be enough to give city the momentum.

Enjoy the brief remaining time of posting on this forum.

Why would my time on here be brief? Strange post.

I don’t think last night gave Man City the momentum, I think last Thursday did. I think they’ll go unbeaten from here, winning about 15 of their games so it’ll be a monumental effort to stay above them.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #876 on: January 8, 2019, 10:41:56 am »

I'm more of the thinking I don't want to be involved in an intense quarter final against Arsenal, a bruising encounter with Chelsea in the Semis and a massive final with Man City in May.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #877 on: January 8, 2019, 10:42:23 am »
That's the spirit.

Haha you’ve literally just said you don’t care about winning cups!

I care. I just think Man City will win 15 games from here and that’ll be difficult to match. No defeatism just realism.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #878 on: January 8, 2019, 10:43:02 am »
Why would my time on here be brief? Strange post.

I don’t think last night gave Man City the momentum, I think last Thursday did. I think they’ll go unbeaten from here, winning about 15 of their games so it’ll be a monumental effort to stay above them.

They'll drop points and we'll drop points before the end of the season 100%. It's going to be a rollercoaster.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: January 8, 2019, 10:43:38 am »
Even if we win the FA Cup, it makes little difference to our club in terms of where we want to be - league champions and CL champions.  It is sad but the FA Cup is not important anymore and hasnt been for a long time. Just like Everton derbies are only monumentally important to Everton fans and why even a Manchester United match isnt what it used to be because the new apex club that we are trying to supplant is Manchester City. 

The only use for the FA Cup and the League Cup is to give a workout to our reserve and youth players and those coming back from injury. Otherwise they are a drain on our squad and an oppotunity for them to get injured and to tire them out. That is the brutal and hard truth.

As far as the first team is concerned at this point in their development, it may be better off for them to have the club crash out of the FA Cup. Perhaps in the future when we have become champions of the league and of Europe again, then we can turn our attention to also at the same time maintaining a challenge to win the FA CUp and the League Cup also.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 10:45:15 am by ThePoolMan »