Author Topic: Offensive 96 t shirt  (Read 15717 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Offensive 96 t shirt
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 10:25:12 pm »
 :butt

It really does boggle the mind how this sort of thing gets through the amount of sign offs this sort of thing needs to go through without just one person saying um....are you serious...??
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:40 pm »
Just emailed them so we shall see what they have got to say about this. :no
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 10:37:16 pm »
Topman might have a line of course in slightly obscure (and obscured) pop cultural reference points that often hybrid with a variety of spiritual principles tho?

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:07 pm »
Sure it is a coincidence and not intentional. Equally sure they will realise it is offensive and will withdraw it from sale in the UK.

Offline Franny

• RAWK Director of Geo-location
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:56 pm »
http://help.topman.com/system/templates/selfservice/topman/#!portal/403700000001052/article/Prod-2444/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Care

There is a call and email icon.  Select a subject and then click submit and then you can enter your email and message. It works as I've had an auto reply off them
Thanks Rob just sent email

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
Maybe it's also a fashion statement... that it's OK to be ignorant. There is a gap there after all. As a British company, to not know that this might look a little odd is quite staggering. Come shop at Topman... we're ALL ignorant here. You're forced to see them in this way I think. Maybe people DO like to be seen as ignorant? Or maybe their turnaround is so fast, that a massive pissed up binge and loads of lines back at the design execs penthouse gaff one night, gets processed so fast that it's out to buy by 7am that same day before any fucker can go 'er?'?

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 11:42:09 pm »
Anyone got a clue what the fuck this is all about?

https://m.us.topman.com/en/tmus/product/red-goes-around-t-shirt-7479993

They've taken the page down now by the looks of it!
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:29 pm »
Has anyone had a reply from Topman around what the shirt is about?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »
Or maybe their turnaround is so fast, that a massive pissed up binge and loads of lines back at the design execs penthouse gaff one night, gets processed so fast that it's out to buy by 7am that same day before any fucker can go 'er?'?
you forgot "Organise a photoshoot with said shirt"

It'll be interesting to see what their excuse is, and what their design reasons were. Reall, their only chance to stop this from snowballing is to own up and admit that this got through their qc and sack the designer in question.

If not, I feel a mass boycott coming on. I certainly won't be giving those c*nts money.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:55 am »
shocking

Offline nellyp

• hant. All Hail the old new Baldrick!!!
  • Anny Roader
  • Life's not black and white, it's red and white
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2018, 12:06:37 am »
email sent
In a world of uncertainty and worry, it is calming to know that as a fan of the greatest club in the world I will never walk alone

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2018, 12:07:24 am »
Has anyone had a reply from Topman around what the shirt is about?

If they don't even reply we will need to mobilise the internet terrorists.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 12:12:03 am »
Absolutely furious. Fuck off with your Marley reasoning. Blatant dig at the 96 and their loved ones.

Beyond disrespectful.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:15 am »
I thought it was a football shirt (a Liverpool one at that) when I saw the thumbnail of BBC story. Find coincidence hard to believe and I'm very uncynical usually

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 12:33:02 am »
you forgot "Organise a photoshoot with said shirt"

I didn't forget anything - there are dozens of levels of communication that go into the production of a shirt in a multi million pound business, and not one person asked a question? I find that very difficult to believe.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 12:33:37 am »
I’m sure it’s just a coincidence. “What goes around comes around” could easily be in reference to the number 96 itself, which reads the same upside down. These kind of designs that place a load of seemingly random symbols onto a shirt are pretty commonplace, so it’s not too hard to imagine they’d stumble upon such an unfortunate combination by sheer luck.

When word gets through they’ll take it down.

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destination Anfield(postponed)scratch that.Sorted
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 12:41:07 am »
They've taken the page down now by the looks of it!

They haven't on the US Website either.  I went into the comment section of the page and replied with a calm but strongly worded statement on how the shirt design is offensive to Liverpool FC supporters in the UK and around the world.  Let's see what happens.
Not your typical OOT. Do-er of good deeds.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 12:51:57 am »
Looks like it’s down again.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 01:01:13 am »
I’m sure it’s just a coincidence. “What goes around comes around” could easily be in reference to the number 96 itself, which reads the same upside down. These kind of designs that place a load of seemingly random symbols onto a shirt are pretty commonplace, so it’s not too hard to imagine they’d stumble upon such an unfortunate combination by sheer luck.

When word gets through they’ll take it down.

The 9 and the 6 thing still doesn't cash out with me. Left alone it looks ridiculous. Tied in with a release by Bob Marley 22 years ago looks ridiculous. In red, the rose... the Indian philosophy. I mean what the actual fuck is that?

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 01:08:01 am »
Is this some sort of calculated Marketing gamble at our expense?

How would it even make it on sale otherwise, it just shouts 'this is wrong'.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 01:13:43 am »
It could be coincidence but unfortunately it's just much more likely that someone involved in the design had bad faith.
I obviously don't think it's the policy of the entire brand but someone somewhere acted in bad faith in the process.
A shame really.

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2018, 01:21:22 am »
Unbelievable.  Fucking hell.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 01:59:27 am »
Deliberate or not, it needs pulling, and quick. It feeds the false narrative some fans of certain clubs have, and if it was intentional then someone needs sacking. Pretty grotesque if there was actually malicious intent.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 02:32:42 am »
This is pretty fucked. Either a mad coincidence or someone's been a proper nasty piece of work. Surely they'll pull it after all this.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 03:07:35 am »
Anyone who knows anything about design will tell you how methodical and calculating it is, no matter what they are designing. To have that many elements in it pertaining to Hillsborough is no coincidence, nor is it an accumulative accident. Some snide bastards have knocked that out intentionally knowing what it looked like.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2018, 03:17:00 am »
What's the chance of them bringing a t-shirt linked to a bloody Bob Marley album from way back and just happening to mention the year of release in such big bloody numbers on it??

Total bollocks, their "explanation".  :no

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2018, 03:19:46 am »
The Bob Marley excuse isn't even a very good one. The song is "What Goes Around Comes Around" and the t-shirt says "What Goes Around Comes Back Around". It's not exactly what you'd call Bob Marley colours either, you'd expect some yellow and/or green in there.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2018, 03:34:20 am »
That's absolutely intentional. The exact designer should be traced and shamed.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 03:41:59 am »
Its a Bob Marley song from 1996, read the lyrics to the song like, the outrage is nonsense. It clearly isn't a reference to Hillsborough and its extremely strange that people are trying to make that connection. Not everything is about Liverpool ffs.

Here's another example..

As is Topman is going to release a shirt mocking Hillsborough, like fucking hell come on like  :butt
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:45:57 am by liverpool185 »
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2018, 04:08:02 am »
What is that shirt referring to?

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:44 am »
Its a Bob Marley song from 1996, read the lyrics to the song like, the outrage is nonsense. It clearly isn't a reference to Hillsborough and its extremely strange that people are trying to make that connection. Not everything is about Liverpool ffs.

As if Topman is going to release a shirt mocking Hillsborough, like fucking hell come on like  :butt

And you call yourself a Liverpool fan? Shame on fucking you.

Firstly, you have no idea that the whole thing hasn't been conjured up by a couple of low-life, smartarse designers trying to make a name for themselves. You read like the kind of muppet who would have believed the initial media stories following Hillsborough. "No, definitely no cover-up here, mate. This is the cops we're talking about here. As if they'd do summat like that."

Secondly, the fact there is any possible ambiguity, which I very much doubt, is enough for Topman to remove them immediately before they cause anymore hurt.

You're either incredibly naive, a fucking idiot or a troll.

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2018, 05:50:09 am »

Here's another example..

As is Topman is going to release a shirt mocking Hillsborough, like fucking hell come on like  :butt

That does make the red one look more like a stupid mistake rather than anything intentional.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2018, 06:25:33 am »
There's also a blue 95 boroughs one going around but I can't find an image of it. They seem to be just particularly ugly shirts, with the red one being something they should have realised.

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:28 am »
On BBC news now. Saying it was a mistake and not intentional. Part of a range of shirts.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2018, 06:41:52 am »
On BBC news now. Saying it was a mistake and not intentional. Part of a range of shirts.

I would agree that it's not intentional (although they should really have caught it before the shirt was released) as there is a white and a blue shirt with a similar design - if the 96 one had been in white or blue, it could easily have not been seen as mocking the 96.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 06:48:49 am »
Helluva co-incidence but it does happen.

Now that it's been highlighted just pull it and be done with the mess.

The reality is that most people outside of the LFC world would have absolutely no idea of the significance of the confluence of those elements.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 07:20:51 am »
the fact that its red and looks like a football shirt has nothing to do with the marley song .. fuck top shop, grubby cheap shit cess pit of clothing anyway.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 07:28:01 am »
Intentional or not, I do find it offensive either way. How the fuck did nobody in the design process go "hang on a minute..."? They've surely got to see sense and pull it from sale.

As for this...

Here's another example..

...you can fuck right off, you're obviously trolling here. I'm not one to jump on people's post history, but yours is shocking.