SF1: Gerry Attrick
20 (32.3%)
SF2: Sheer Magnetism
14 (22.6%)
SF2: KingLuis
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: February 8, 2018, 07:14:03 pm

Author Topic: All-time Football Draft - Semi Finals 1 & 2  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
All-time Football Draft - Semi Finals 1 & 2
« on: February 7, 2018, 07:14:03 pm »
Welcome to RAWK's second ever restrictionless all-time football draft (the last one was 7 years ago!). Each drafter was tasked with building a team in their own image by picking their choice of any players to have ever played football.

Please judge the following matches on which team you believe would win in a 90 minute game of football, rather than on individuals -

____________________________________________Semi Final 1_________________________________________________________________

Chakan                                       V                                           Gerry Attrick

_____________________________________________Semi Final 2_______________________________________________________________

I chose this team with five criteria: 1) They had to be technically good enough to dominate in possession; 2) They had to have the speed and anticipation to press the ball quickly when out of possession; 3) There had to be excellent passers in midfield and defence, coupled with pace on the wings and up front enabling them to break quickly; 4) There needed to be lots of game intelligence and positional fluidity so players could switch positions and overload areas of the pitch when needed; and 5) Leaders, and lots of them. The defenders alone include two world cup-winning captains and three European Cup-winning captains (that goes up to four if you add Iniesta).

DEFENCE

Clemence not only had hands of iron, he had excellent distribution and the intelligence to know when to speed up a game and when to slow it down. The defence is a five that can change to a three when the full-backs push up, or four if one of Hierro or Moore (usually Hierro) push forward to either bring the ball out of defence, join the midfield to stop incoming attacks through the centre, or man-mark a number ten.

MIDFIELD

Iniesta and Schweinsteiger are both top draw all-rounders with the positional awareness to maintain control in possession, or to press and cut off passing options through zonal shielding when out of possession. Crucially, Lahm and Junior (who helped the '82 Brazil team tick) have both played in midfield, so not only do they have the pace to start attacks rapidly from passes out to the wing, or to push back wing-backs, they can join in in the centre to outnumber two or even three-man midfields, with one of the defenders spreading out to cover. Iniesta and Schweinsteiger are both terrific long-passers playing behind a very pacey attack. That means that if an opposing team pushes too many players forward they'll be hit on the break, but if they're conservative instead, the back seven outfield players will always have a numerical advantage.

ATTACK

I liked Litmanen in the trequartista role because of his ability to press from the front, but Ronaldinho adds so much pace and ability, while also being able to drop into midfield to reclaim the ball, that I couldn't not pick him. Three of the four best Brazilian forwards of all time, all of whom are lightning quick dribblers, extremely creative (Neymar and Ronaldinho's assist stats have been through the roof at different times at club level) and brilliant finishers. The speed and dribbling ability are crucial because it means the team don't necessarily have to push forward en masse to get goals, and the fact Neymar and Ronaldinho have played in Barca teams, and Pele for 70's Brazil, means they have the intelligence to interchange and drag players out of position, much like the 2015 Barca attack.

VS

While building this team, I spent a lot of time thinking about one of my favourite teams from recent years, Brendan Rodgers’ 2013-2014 Liverpool side.

Although using a different formation (and hopefully being a bit better defensively!!), this team is built around the same idea of trying to get the absolute most out of the two strikers up top. I hadn’t actually planned to pick another striker after going for Ronaldo in round 1, but when Thierry Henry made it back round to me, the thought of the pair of them running at opposition defenders was just too much to resist! Two of the greatest strikers of the modern era, Ronaldo and Henry’s speed, power and finesse would prove a match-up nightmare for any defence. Ronaldo playing mostly through the middle while Henry is given a license to drift out wide and cut inside off that left flank as he used to love doing.

Providing the ammo is one of the greatest playmakers of all time and a player who absolutely destroyed us in the 1981 Intercontinental Cup, Zico. Free from defensive responsibilities, Zico is tasked with being the team’s primary creator while also providing a significant goal threat of his own, having scored over 500 career goals. Behind him, Fernando Redondo pulls the strings in midfield while Frank Rijkaard, one of the most dominant defensive midfielders to have played the game, ensures we’ll give as good as we get in any midfield battle.

Having gone with a narrow front three, I felt it was absolutely crucial to move early on a pair of well-rounded wing backs to patrol the flanks. Javier Zanetti and Giacinto Facchetti, two of Inter’s greatest ever players, offer stamina and consistency in abundance, able to motor up and down the flanks to provide width going forwards while also being solid enough defensively to shackle opposition wingers.

In defence, I’ve gone for a flexible back three marshalled by the “Kaiser” Franz Beckenbauer playing alongside his young apprentice Mats Hummels and the Brazilian tank Lucio. All three are highly comfortably bringing the ball out of defence, giving us the option to launch quick counter-attacks with long, pinpoint balls up to Ronaldo & Henry, or to keep possession by playing the ball around the back when we need to take the sting out of the game. In goal, the last line of defence is provided by the great Sepp Maier, Beckenbauer’s long-term teammate with both Bayern and Germany.

Sheer Magnetism                                            V                                              KingLuis   

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: All-time Football Draft - Semi Finals 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »
Gerry and the King for me.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »
Gerry and the King for me.

You cut me deep. Just cause my post count is bigger.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »
If I can't win a draft with this team I probably never will. My team is stacked all over the pitch. There's the Cruyff-Neeskens partnership back together (Johan I and Johan II), Best and Rivaldo to cause carnage out wide and 2 of the best centre backs ever patrolling things should they manage to get over the half way line.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 07:29:36 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2018, 07:27:37 pm »
First match is tough to call, not sure about a Gerrard-Davids midfield or him having Manc in there but still, Chakan, his wives and KingLuis for me
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2018, 07:32:10 pm »
First match is tough to call, not sure about a Gerrard-Davids midfield or him having Manc in there but still, Chakan, his wives and KingLuis for me
I went for the same, but both matches were toss ups, for me. Four brilliant teams.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »
You cut me deep. Just cause my post count is bigger.

:D Think Big Sami would struggle a little against that forward line.

And I can’t vote for a man with over 70k posts, it’s too close to home.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2018, 07:36:13 pm »
:D Think Big Sami would struggle a little against that forward line.

And I can’t vote for a man with over 70k posts, it’s too close to home.

Hahaha! Fair enough (about the post count, not Sami, he can handle anything)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2018, 07:39:12 pm »
It's basically like for like in each match in terms of system. Went for Gerry in the other semi since his team looks more cohesive. Luis has some great players in there but there isn't enough up front for me. Five defenders and two holding midfielders leaving those three attacking players looking pretty isolated up top. No way that's breaking through my defence.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 07:42:56 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2018, 07:59:24 pm »
It's basically like for like in each match in terms of system. Went for Gerry in the other semi since his team looks more cohesive. Luis has some great players in there but there isn't enough up front for me. Five defenders and two holding midfielders leaving those three attacking players looking pretty isolated up top. No way that's breaking through my defence.

People don’t vote for defences. Hence why you unjustly beat me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2018, 08:04:45 pm »
Gerry and KingLuis but it was really tough picking from the two matches, great teams.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2018, 08:15:16 pm »
You’re all just being mean. I’ll have to call the wives.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #12 on: February 7, 2018, 08:17:44 pm »
People don’t vote for defences. Hence why you unjustly beat me.

If they did, I'd still be in it.

Gentile, Koeman, Thompson, Makelele and Guradiola in front of Beautiful Bodo. In real life, you'd have to be very special to break that down. Because you'd be blinded by The Gorgeousness of Illgner (title of my new book)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2018, 12:17:39 am »
Hmmm getting hammered

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2018, 12:20:41 pm »
Bump
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2018, 12:47:47 pm »
Ugh. I checked last night and I was ahead 11-10, now this? :(

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2018, 12:52:32 pm »
Guess I should have taken Barnes or Baresi

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2018, 01:11:06 pm »
Ugh. I checked last night and I was ahead 11-10, now this? :(

Highway robbery if you ask me, Sheer. 

Would have been a wonderful final ---  Gerry & Sheer.

One wonders if the Beckenbauer quotient in the back sealed the result?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2018, 01:11:56 pm »
Guess I should have taken Barnes or Baresi

Baresi changes everything, my friend. 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2018, 01:50:22 pm »
Highway robbery if you ask me, Sheer. 

Would have been a wonderful final ---  Gerry & Sheer.

One wonders if the Beckenbauer quotient in the back sealed the result?

Sorry for ruining the final for you mate!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2018, 02:00:33 pm »
Baresi changes everything, my friend. 

Yeah true, although I really thought Haan was my major weak link and not Hyypia.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »
Sorry for ruining the final for you mate!

Wasn't you, mate.  We all have our favorites --- and really its no skin off my backside.

I think the voters got it wrong, not you.  You drafted and put together an outstanding team --- may very well win the whole enchilada.

Wish you luck in that process --- but anyone who tells me that any team could stop Sheer's front three, would be pissing down my back and telling me its raining.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2018, 02:14:45 pm »
Wasn't you, mate.  We all have our favorites --- and really its no skin off my backside.

I think the voters got it wrong, not you.  You drafted and put together an outstanding team --- may very well win the whole enchilada.

Wish you luck in that process --- but anyone who tells me that any team could stop Sheer's front three, would be pissing down my back and telling me its raining.

Yeah I can’t blame anyone for voting for that front three, it’s sexy as fuck. Genuinely laughed out loud the first time I saw it. I do feel the balance is slightly off though. Think it would’ve worked better as a front three as Ronaldinho was never an AMC. While my front three are hardly slouches themselves!

Think this game would be won and lost in midfield though. I like the Schweini-Iniesta experiment but Rijkaard & Redondo would be far too much for them. Sheer has the advantage in defence I feel, but having Beckenbauer in there closes the gap.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 8, 2018, 04:24:52 pm »
Don’t even think my wives can save me here. Might have to borrow saints!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 8, 2018, 04:43:22 pm »
Yeah I can’t blame anyone for voting for that front three, it’s sexy as fuck. Genuinely laughed out loud the first time I saw it. I do feel the balance is slightly off though. Think it would’ve worked better as a front three as Ronaldinho was never an AMC. While my front three are hardly slouches themselves!

Think this game would be won and lost in midfield though. I like the Schweini-Iniesta experiment but Rijkaard & Redondo would be far too much for them. Sheer has the advantage in defence I feel, but having Beckenbauer in there closes the gap.

Spot on analysis King!  No slouches, indeed :)

Redondo, Rijkard and Beckenbauer do win the day... 

This should go to penalties for the neutrals' enjoyment :)   
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2018, 07:23:04 pm »
Congrats Gerry & KL. Final on the way as soon as the last two steals (one each) have been taken!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
Fix! Fix!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2018, 08:36:25 pm »
That one of your wives, Chakan?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »
That one of your wives, Chakan?

She’s a peach no? Those eyes full of shock, that nose so wet, and she likes the collar. Although she is in the doghouse for not getting enough votes.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2018, 09:02:51 pm by Chakan »