Author Topic: Your personal favourite players-ever.  (Read 14157 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Your personal favourite players-ever.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 08:21:06 pm »
Moeller

Great shout. Purely for this:

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:46 pm »
I modelled myself on Lilian Thuram back when I was playing in the defence years ago.

He was fucking boss him.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 08:26:52 pm »
Great shout. Purely for this:

That team with Koehler, Moeller and Chapiusat was fun to watch. I think he was one of the most underrated player of all time.
Great technic, amazing vision, makes the game look easy, fantastic player to watch.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:19 pm »
I modelled myself on Lilian Thuram back when I was playing in the defence years ago.

He was fucking boss him.

Love how your post has been bookended by a pic of your namesake!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:52 pm »
Thierry Henry was very likeable as well

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:30 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 08:46:13 pm »
Simple.  Which players have you most loved, admired, respected?  Obviously in most cases these will have been skilled and talented, but there may be other reasons why these players are special to you (if there are personal reasons please say.... also say why you love these guys).    I think we should all nominate 2 players, one of ours, and someone from another club.

I have the easy task of going first.

Both players wore a green 7 on their shorts.

Each has had, in my opinion, the highest loyalty, morality and honour of any player in my lifetime.  Both incredibly talented, both the finest human beings possible.

So I give you:

1. King Kenny  (Kenny Dalglish)
2. The King of Kings (Henrik Larsson)

Over to you lot.

John Barnes. The best the world has ever seen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:48:00 pm by Mahern »

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:57 pm »
Going on favourite only and all for different reasons

Liverpool -Kenny, Big Jan, Hansen, God , Mad Luis and Craig Johnson
Have loved what Salah has brought this season and a few more season series doing the same and I reckon he could join that list

Not ours - Maradona, Messi, Iniesta, Falcao the 82 version, Gazza,Pirlo, Hagi
I’ll get killed for this but I always used to love watching Merson and wish we’d signed him back in the day :-[

To bring it back to sanity my arl fellah used to name the 4 greatest he liked as Billy Liddell, Di Stéfano, John Charles and like others in here said Duncan Edwards
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »
Going on favourite only and all for different reasons

Liverpool -Kenny, Big Jan, Hansen, God , Mad Luis and Craig Johnson
Have loved what Salah has brought this season and a few more season series doing the same and I reckon he could join that list

Not ours - Maradona, Messi, Iniesta, Falcao the 82 version, Gazza,Pirlo, Hagi
I’ll get killed for this but I always used to love watching Merson and wish we’d signed him back in the day :-[

To bring it back to sanity my arl fellah used to name the 4 greatest he liked as Billy Liddell, Di Stéfano, John Charles and like others in here said Duncan Edwards
Useless idiot (although quite funny because of it) as a pundit, but I think he had flashes of brilliance as a player. I'd never go so far as to say I'd wished we'd signed him though...

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:21 pm »
 :D

Getting better now!

Don't intend to make it all about brilliance, though obviously that's a prerequisite!

It's about loyalty, decency and genuinely good eggdom as well.

Which is why, for me, I guess in LFC terms there is only one candidate (and SG a long way second...but still wonderful for his genius and his loyalty).

I loved Larsson because he gave his best years (and he was some player) to Celtic when he could have joined any team in the world. And thenkept his promise to finish at his hometeam club even when Man U wanted to keep him. And not too many players turn a European Cup final around off the bench as he did for Barca against Arsenal.

But I suppose in terms of class, loyalty, and likeability you'd have Baresi, Maldini, Buffon in there.  Totti and Giggs/Scholes too (class, loyalty.... but certainly not likeable)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:28 pm »
Gheorghe Hagi -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZJbiCi_vSFw&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZJbiCi_vSFw&amp;</a>

Roberto Baggio -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/InShjwXOfsE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/InShjwXOfsE</a>

Michael Laudrup -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CkwoNViAI1k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CkwoNViAI1k</a>

And of course Zidane -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hyrT7gVrGTA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hyrT7gVrGTA</a>

2006 vs Brazil was also probably the greatest individual performance I've ever seen in a football match -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ywkMlK89Ibk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ywkMlK89Ibk</a>

As you can see, I love a good number 10 and a bit of a nutter  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:56 pm »

Legend.

Have to say though, I preferred him in the purple of Fiorentina. Why don't more teams have purple strips? It's a wicked colour.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 09:03:13 pm »
Hagi is a good shout. Only really used to see him in major tournaments but was always a pleasure. That Romania v Argentina game from ISA 94 was brilliant.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
Roberto Carlos deserves a shout too, just for the sheer audacity of some of the goals he scored

Same with David Ginola, Tony Yeboah, and Paulo Di Canio

Yeboah scored an absolute belter against us at Elland IIRC
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »
Legend.

Have to say though, I preferred him in the purple of Fiorentina. Why don't more teams have purple strips? It's a wicked colour.
yep, and how good was that strike in the CL against United!

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 09:18:20 pm »
Legend.

That's just reminded me, this is a real hipster shout, but I used to LOVE watching Lombardo play. That Sampo team with him and Vialli, when they started doing the Serie A games on Channel 4 was boss. Loved them and Fiorentina

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 09:24:41 pm »
Liverpool:

Owen [before he became a tit]
Alonso
Agger
Fowler
Gerrard [before he contemplated going to Chelsea]

Non LFC

Luiz Nazario de Lima Ronaldo
Messi
Roberto Baggio
Henry
Ronaldinho
Maldini
Boban
Suker
Matthaus
Elber
Bergkamp

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:54 pm »
Hagi is a good shout. Only really used to see him in major tournaments but was always a pleasure. That Romania v Argentina game from ISA 94 was brilliant.

Loved that mad bastard. I know few will agree, but I've never been able to love Messi in the way that I did a player like Hagi. Lionel is clearly the better player (not even a discussion), but those imperfect geniuses will always hold a greater place in my heart.

Talking of, one for AWWUC -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wCNvUHtHIbo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wCNvUHtHIbo</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:08 pm »
Liverpool - Fowler

Non-Liverpool - Juninho

Can remember being devastated when we were linked to him for a whole summer and he wound up at Middlesbrough of all places.
AHA!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
Liverpool - Fowler

Non-Liverpool - Juninho

Can remember being devastated when we were linked to him for a whole summer and he wound up at Middlesbrough of all places.

That reminds me of the other Juninho, that played for Lyon. Loved watching him play. Probably scored more free-kicks than any other player in his era

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »
That reminds me of the other Juninho, that played for Lyon. Loved watching him play. Probably scored more free-kicks than any other player in his era

The good old days, when Juninho scored a cracking freekick every CL matchday, and we were one of the most feared sides in Europe. :'(
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 09:43:35 pm »
Gotta be honest

I love Alexis Sanchez
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:42 pm »
Not much love for defenders. One of my favourite ever -

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 09:52:00 pm »
Non Liverpool- Ronaldinho and Rivaldo.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 10:06:37 pm »
Romario Hagi Mathaus Zidane Zola Totti,  Gazza Lineker (back when I cared about England)

From my club. Henry, Bergkamp, Wright (before he became a mug analyst)

Offline esw2003

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »
Terry McDermott was always my favourite when I was a nipper.His header against Spurs still brings a tear to my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOB7pcqBH-Y

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 10:17:21 pm »
Despite being old enough to have supported the seventies and eighties sides, Fowler is my fav LFC player.

Outside of LFC, it's Diego, Paul McGrath and Roberto Mancini in that order.

Honourable mentions to Djorkaeff and George Best.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »
For us Fowler, cos he is one of us..just a godlike one

Non Liverpool Fernando Redondo, just made everything he did look easy (plus bonus of that backheel for Rual’s goal at Old Trafford)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:10 pm »
Liverpool Fowler.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:06 pm »
Simple.  Which players have you most loved, admired, respected?  Obviously in most cases these will have been skilled and talented, but there may be other reasons why these players are special to you (if there are personal reasons please say.... also say why you love these guys).    I think we should all nominate 2 players, one of ours, and someone from another club.

I have the easy task of going first.

Both players wore a green 7 on their shorts.

Each has had, in my opinion, the highest loyalty, morality and honour of any player in my lifetime.  Both incredibly talented, both the finest human beings possible.

So I give you:

1. King Kenny  (Kenny Dalglish)
2. The King of Kings (Henrik Larsson)

Over to you lot.

From memory, Dalglish wore number 9 in his days with the Celts. Not saying he never wore 7 as there were no squad numbers back then, but mostly it was 9, iirc.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:25 pm »
Lizarazu. Just seemed the perfect fullback plus i played in the same position and he had a cool name.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:36 pm »
Generally speaking, players of the past are a lot more likeable than players nowdays.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:34 pm »
Lizarazu. Just seemed the perfect fullback plus i played in the same position and he had a cool name.
Great player, also Salihamidzic and Mehmet Scholl comes to mind from that team.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:36 pm »
As a kid I loved watching Roberto Baggio, he was outstanding for Juventus, for Italy during the US World Cup and for a good while after.

I always thought Rivaldo was pretty special between 98-2002 in particular.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:43 pm »
As a kid I loved watching Roberto Baggio, he was outstanding for Juventus, for Italy during the US World Cup and for a good while after.

I always thought Rivaldo was pretty special between 98-2002 in particular.

Good shout. Barca underachieved at that time but loved watching Ricardo. Anyone got a clip of his ridiculous hat trick against Valencia. Think it was the last game of the season and essentially a Champions League play off and he scored an amazing hat trick, topped off with a late overhead kick to win it.

Here we go. Amazing: https://youtu.be/r0qi0jeyWGM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:32:05 pm by Arl St Nickleback at a shite works do they'll never forget »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2018, 11:35:20 pm »
Good shout. Barca underachieved at that time but loved watching Ricardo. Anyone got a clip of his ridiculous hat trick against Valencia. Think it was the last game of the season and essentially a Champions League play off and he scored an amazing hat trick, topped off with a late overhead kick to win it.

Here we go. Amazing: https://youtu.be/r0qi0jeyWGM

Strange shout mate. I mean, he covered alrightish for Barthez I suppose but still a little leftfield.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
LFC - Stevie, Mascherano.

Non LFC - Gundogan and Xavi.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:35 pm »
Suarez, Mascherano, and Fowler, for me.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:55 pm »
For me, Marco Van Basten

The perfect centre forward. Great touch, skill and a devastating finisher.

Such a waste he had to retire just as he would have been hitting his peak
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:58 am »
Strange shout mate. I mean, he covered alrightish for Barthez I suppose but still a little leftfield.

Those gloveless shoot out saves mate!...