Author Topic: Any telephone/networking know it alls?  (Read 1042 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Any telephone/networking know it alls?
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:07 am »
So just moved into a new place and for some reason the main BT socket is in the bedroom, which means the hub is miles away from where I'd ideally want it in the lounge. However in the lounge there is a multi-socket thing with the usual TV aerials as well as a single phone socket. I've taken the face plate off and there are 4 unused wires for the phone socket.

Does anyone know if these are running the broadband from the main socket to this socket? And if so if I could get a double telephone socket and wire it up so could then connect the hub there?

Some pics...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:40:26 am by CraigDS »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Any telephone/networking know it alls?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:28:25 am »
If you don't use the Master Socket, it is likely to have a significant effect on your Broadband speed.

It depends how you are set up. Do you have an ADSL microfilter before your phone? If you do it is possible. On newer installs the microfilter is embedded in the Master Socket and the extensions cannot access the broadband signal.

Generally your better bet is to leave the router on the master socket and work out how to extend the signal.

I would suggest either the cheap and cheerful Powerline / Homeplug solution, or push the boat out and get something like Google Home.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:11 pm »
Cheers SP.

Think a powerline might end up being the best bet in this case then. Used them before and not been too bad so expect they'll work OK here.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:27:53 pm »
If you're using a BT-Hub, you could try and use an Wireless AC router as an access point downstairs, or a dedicated wireless AC extender.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:44:35 pm »
The socket looks wired fine to me.

But I'd still take a look at the powerlines. Bought a pack of 4 and never looked back (we had our house rewired with ethernet too and don't use it because the powerlines are so good). Means wherever there's a plug, there's internet, which can be so helpful if there are any dead sports in your house.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »
The Powerline adapters are excellent. I've got several through the house - all dual wifi/Cabled.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline steashy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:23:15 pm »
i work for openreach and sp is right with what he's saying, what type of master socket do you have? does it have a built in filter?
as if it dosnt and there is extension wiring connected onto the master socket even with a micro filter connected it can still impact on your broadband speeds,put a pic up of your master socket  if you need any more advice

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:32 am »
Ended up getting a great deal on Hyperoptic which runs fibre right into my apartment (fibre is already run direct to my building and up to every floor). Came and installed it this morning within 2 days of ordering and the main socket is now in the lounge right by where the main things I want to connect non-wirelessly.

It's their 1Gbps fibre, so should be fun to see what sort of speeds I'm getting once it settles.