Author Topic: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)  (Read 793383 times)

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
Re: Robertson
« Reply #760 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:50 pm »
Are off-ball movements documented in XG statistics? I think Moreno has better delivery around the box but Robertson, visually at least, makes better and more consistent runs off the ball to inject momentum if an attack is bogged down.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: January 17, 2018, 09:23:57 pm »
Robertson's fantastic and I hope he continues to make that position his own from now on. But I think it's testament to Moreno's improvement that we are no longer worried about the left back situation. A problem situation for so many years yet the outstanding performances of Robertson lately and Moreno's all round improvement has suddenly made this position the least of our concerns now. Just think that four years back we were desperately shoe-horning the likes of Cissokho in to try and plug the gap (similar scenario at right back a few years ago - see the unbelievably ineffective Manquillo).

It's great to see - he's a player who always meant well but just didn't have the mindset. Nice to see him getting a reprieve and finally showing his worth.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #762 on: January 18, 2018, 05:03:01 am »
Agree with the first part. Having said that- when has Sterling ever had a good game against us. I think he is easily intimidated especially when playing against us.
Disagree with the 2nd part. Robertson is better defensively but in no way superior on attack. He can develop that aspect of his game but Moreno would get the nod in attack.
Klopp will probably rotate depending on the opposition but right now Robertson keeps his place.

We really don't need our defenders attacking though - we are more than fine up front.

We need defenders that can fucking defend !!  ;D

As said above anyway , he is pretty good going forwards and has tons of energy - did you see him go after their defence in the second half ?

Can also whip a decent cross in most of the time too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:05:19 am by mersey_paradiso »
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:54 am »
Interesting comments from Ben Arfa back in 2015 when he was loaned there at Hull

“In fairness, they’re just not very good,” the 30-year-old told Laurens. “It’s a team with Alex Bruce in it. But there’s one who can be super, super, super good… And that’s Robertson.”
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: January 18, 2018, 07:24:15 am »
We really don't need our defenders attacking though - we are more than fine up front.

We need defenders that can fucking defend !!  ;D

As said above anyway , he is pretty good going forwards and has tons of energy - did you see him go after their defence in the second half ?

Can also whip a decent cross in most of the time too.

If you believe that we do not need defenders to attack, I am not sure that you understand Klopp's system and philosophy. Have a look at Robertson's attacking performance against Everton in the league game when they were awarded the controversial penalty.
No doubt he can whip in a good cross but the team together with Robertson still needs to work on an end product.
Yes- I did see his pressing in the second half and it is something not new to our team and is exactly what is expected in the current system. In any other system, it would be construed as a foolish and headless chicken run- Moreno was accused of this in the game against Hoffenheim.
I like Robertson and do believe that he has the potential to be a great player / asset. All I wish to achieve is to temper the hyperbole and the blind spot some or a large part of our fanbase have displayed when it comes to his performances. How are the fans going to react when he has a bad run or is he going to be given a free pass?  It is the same blindspot  our fans had in regard to Clyne. He was poor offensively in the sense that his delivery was not great given the time he had on the ball. He made mistakes defensively as well like all defenders do. That is not to castigate him but rather to point out that we defend as a team and small errors across the pitch usually led to one player being held accountable. Clearly, the glaring mistakes are inexcusable. These mistakes will happen and you just hope that the player learns from it.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #765 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:28 am »
Interesting comments from Ben Arfa back in 2015 when he was loaned there at Hull

“In fairness, they’re just not very good,” the 30-year-old told Laurens. “It’s a team with Alex Bruce in it. But there’s one who can be super, super, super good… And that’s Robertson.”

Ben Arfa's a bit of a nutter but good to hear Robertson getting good reviews.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:06 am »
Ben Arfa's a bit of a nutter but good to hear Robertson getting good reviews.

We should hire him as a scout. He has en eye to spot good players.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #767 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:20 am »
The guy turns 24 in the next 2 months so we're in for a ride.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #768 on: January 19, 2018, 06:10:48 am »
If you believe that we do not need defenders to attack, I am not sure that you understand Klopp's system and philosophy. Have a look at Robertson's attacking performance against Everton in the league game when they were awarded the controversial penalty.
No doubt he can whip in a good cross but the team together with Robertson still needs to work on an end product.
Yes- I did see his pressing in the second half and it is something not new to our team and is exactly what is expected in the current system. In any other system, it would be construed as a foolish and headless chicken run- Moreno was accused of this in the game against Hoffenheim.
I like Robertson and do believe that he has the potential to be a great player / asset. All I wish to achieve is to temper the hyperbole and the blind spot some or a large part of our fanbase have displayed when it comes to his performances. How are the fans going to react when he has a bad run or is he going to be given a free pass?  It is the same blindspot  our fans had in regard to Clyne. He was poor offensively in the sense that his delivery was not great given the time he had on the ball. He made mistakes defensively as well like all defenders do. That is not to castigate him but rather to point out that we defend as a team and small errors across the pitch usually led to one player being held accountable. Clearly, the glaring mistakes are inexcusable. These mistakes will happen and you just hope that the player learns from it.

Robertson seems much less prone to "brainfarts" than Moreno. Ideally we would have a player that combines Moreno's attacking prowess with (although it's early days) Robertson's defensive capabilities. I think we will see that he will edge out Moreno due to his game intelligence and superior defensive capabilities. Although it is early days , I also think he has a better end product in the final third than Moreno too.

I perfectly understand Klopp's system and philosophy thank you , but there comes a time when we need defenders with the intelligence and spatial awareness to know how to defend under pressure which Moreno has again and again shows he lacks. I also think he is better offensively than either Clyne or Moreno and our fullbacks should be Robertson and TAA.  Along with Van Dijk and Matip/Lovren in the middle I think we finally have a defence that will be difficult to break down.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:12:41 am by mersey_paradiso »
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: January 19, 2018, 06:55:45 am »
Robertson seems much less prone to "brainfarts" than Moreno. Ideally we would have a player that combines Moreno's attacking prowess with (although it's early days) Robertson's defensive capabilities. I think we will see that he will edge out Moreno due to his game intelligence and superior defensive capabilities. Although it is early days , I also think he has a better end product in the final third than Moreno too.

I perfectly understand Klopp's system and philosophy thank you , but there comes a time when we need defenders with the intelligence and spatial awareness to know how to defend under pressure which Moreno has again and again shows he lacks. I also think he is better offensively than either Clyne or Moreno and our fullbacks should be Robertson and TAA.  Along with Van Dijk and Matip/Lovren in the middle I think we finally have a defence that will be difficult to break down.

I agree with most of the points raised. You, however, appear to miss the point I am making. I do not intend to make a comparison between them as both have weaknesses and strengths. Moreno is also 20 months older. Robertson sample size is small and whilst there have been positive and negative aspects to his game, it is too soon to be going overboard as fans are prone to do. I again refer to the derby game in the league where he offered little going forward despite Everton defending deep. Rooney"s diagonal cross leading to the penalty came from his side of the pitch.
Both Moreno and Robertson will benefit from having VVD playing next to them and I therefore anticipate a vast improvement in our play on that side of the pitch. As Moreno is quicker than Robertson, does Klopp use him differently in that he is deployed a lot higher on the pitch due to the pace of VVD and the recovering ability of Moreno?  Which side is to be the attacking outlet will depend on the fullbacks deployed on either side. One will be more defensive than the other thereby exposing such flank and player. That will be where the risk play is and where the defender may become exposed.
Anyway, I digress and have in a way made a comparison. I just shudder to think the fans reaction when Moreno next plays and makes a mistake. Will his every moment be scrutinized?? Pundits will have a field day. He is a marked man in the same way Karius is.  I do agree  that defensively Robertson is the better bet in the "bigger" games. However, is that Klopp's philosophy and does it detract from his style of defending from the top.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:43 pm »
I'm not sure if it's been answered but is he classed as homegrown?

I don't think he is, but would be bonus if he is.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:52:23 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:23 pm »
I'm not sure if it's been answered but is he classed as homegrown?

I don't think he is, but would be bonus if he is.
Pretty sure he isn't unfortunately. Think only English and Welsh players count, otherwise you have to spend at least three years under 21 at an English or Welsh club and he didn't leave Scotland until he was 20.

Just looking at his history, mad that he was still playing in the fourth tier of Scottish footy at 19. Seems to have had a few quantum leaps in his career and adapted well each time.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #772 on: January 22, 2018, 07:04:51 pm »
This lad is due a goal.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »
Played back pass all game today. Take some players on lad

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:43 pm »
Played back pass all game today. Take some players on lad
yep that is only gripe with him .. moreno is same .. will never take a man on an cross ,, gomez he is worse

Offline Triad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #775 on: January 22, 2018, 10:26:24 pm »
His final ball was poor today.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
There's a post match discussion thread guys  :wave

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #777 on: February 5, 2018, 11:11:38 am »
Was that his worst game for us to date? Not terrible but didn't value add yesterday.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: February 5, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »
He adds more to our defensive set up than he does to our attack and while some of the crosses we saw from him yesterday were poor his main responsibility of keeping the backline tight was good I thought. TAA had a lot more freedom in getting forward so it was important to balance that off with Robertson as no way could we start with both TAA and Moreno. In today's market he is a bargain as still quite young, has shown to be a solid defender with a flair for the odd great attack mixed in with the usual hoof cross that you expect from a 23 year old who's still finding his feet at a big club. Honestly think he will be around for a few years as delighted with the impact he has made this season.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #779 on: February 5, 2018, 12:55:28 pm »
He adds more to our defensive set up than he does to our attack and while some of the crosses we saw from him yesterday were poor his main responsibility of keeping the backline tight was good I thought. TAA had a lot more freedom in getting forward so it was important to balance that off with Robertson as no way could we start with both TAA and Moreno. In today's market he is a bargain as still quite young, has shown to be a solid defender with a flair for the odd great attack mixed in with the usual hoof cross that you expect from a 23 year old who's still finding his feet at a big club. Honestly think he will be around for a few years as delighted with the impact he has made this season.

Being 23 years old is no excuse for thoughtless and needlessly hurried crosses. Perhaps it is down to who he has played for before us rather than his age? He had 60% passing success overall. That was not down to his age.

TAA is much younger and could possibly have the excuse of age. TAA had 50% passing success, but he was far more effective offensively overall in the positions he took up and the threat of his crosses.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 12:57:27 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #780 on: February 5, 2018, 01:02:02 pm »
not his best game...but wasn't alone in that....boss little player - one of the highlight's of the season has been has first-team breakthrough.....keep it up Robbo :thumbup
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #781 on: February 5, 2018, 01:17:54 pm »
Always feels right to have a Scot in a Liverpool team..areas for improvement in going forward, but Im old fashioned and like my fullbacks to be good in defending as their priority, and he his...tenacious!

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: February 5, 2018, 03:17:45 pm »
What's happened to his final third delivery? When we signed him wasn't his crossing one of his main strengths and when he played his first game he was whipping great balls in for fun. Now it's gone to total shit. Why is that? He still has the same technical ability as before. The pressure of playing for us isn't effecting other parts of his game. He's wasting so many good opportunities. It'll be shame if it starts to undermine his performances.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #783 on: February 5, 2018, 05:27:29 pm »
What's happened to his final third delivery? When we signed him wasn't his crossing one of his main strengths and when he played his first game he was whipping great balls in for fun. Now it's gone to total shit. Why is that? He still has the same technical ability as before. The pressure of playing for us isn't effecting other parts of his game. He's wasting so many good opportunities. It'll be shame if it starts to undermine his performances.

Personally my first choice at left back , very good defending and positional play .
Crossing v Spurs let him down but thought he was crossing to early and prefer when he gets down the wing and crosses better on the run

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #784 on: February 5, 2018, 08:08:40 pm »

It may just be a question of adjusting to playing with faster, more technical players.

I can't imagine his previous clubs moved up the pitch so quickly.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: February 6, 2018, 09:08:02 am »
To be fair to him, and also TAA, every time they got the ball in the second half everyone ran away from them so all they could do was punt it down the line and hope for the best, it was (for me anyway) the reason we lost control in the second half. Our midfield weren't showing for a pass inside at all and we kept ceding possession to Spurs who were eventually going to make us pay and so it was.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #786 on: February 8, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
Graham Hunters Podcast " The Big Interview" this week features Andy Robertson.

Just had a listen on my way into work, a really good insight into many thing you don't hear about. How players react to fans, some bits about his journey up to the point he is at now, and how he is adapting to the club and coaching under Jürgen and the coaches. He also gets asked about his pressing against City!

Great listen :)

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-big-interview-with-graham-hunter/id988360681?mt=2

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/thebiginterview
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #787 on: February 8, 2018, 10:31:14 am »
Graham Hunters Podcast " The Big Interview" this week features Andy Robertson.

Just had a listen on my way into work, a really good insight into many thing you don't hear about. How players react to fans, some bits about his journey up to the point he is at now, and how he is adapting to the club and coaching under Jürgen and the coaches. He also gets asked about his pressing against City!

Great listen :)

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-big-interview-with-graham-hunter/id988360681?mt=2

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/thebiginterview
I listened to this on the way into work this morning, it's really good.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
Good signing, this one.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:42 pm »
he got caught out badly on a couple of crosses today - reminded me of the complaints we have with Gomez. But still is lively and a steal for the price.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:52 pm »
I'd have been gutted to see this lad go somewhere else for £8m and become really good, definitely up there with the better full backs in the league.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #791 on: February 11, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
I'd have been gutted to see this lad go somewhere else for £8m and become really good, definitely up there with the better full backs in the league.

He needs to work on his crosses. He's a steal alright and just to think Everton are desperate for a left back. He's probably too much of a bargain for those high rollers.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: February 11, 2018, 10:31:45 pm »
Dragged us 60 yards up the pitch a few times today with his running. Rather that than us fanny about in midfield.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: February 11, 2018, 10:31:46 pm »
he got caught out badly on a couple of crosses today - reminded me of the complaints we have with Gomez. But still is lively and a steal for the price.

I agree, he was poor defensively in certain situations today. Perhaps his worst game so far.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #794 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:15 pm »
I agree, he was poor defensively in certain situations today. Perhaps his worst game so far.

nonsense...had a decent game....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: February 11, 2018, 10:38:28 pm »
If that's the case then it's a testament to how well he's performed since coming here.

I do agree, first half he struggled dealing with a few crosses. Think it was a one-off though, as he's usually alright.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #796 on: February 11, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »

One cross, which happens and the onus - as the manager said - is to stop them at source and then for the keeper to help if god forbid it can't be dealt with. He was good for completely different reasons than usual; his passing was probably better than any of the midfielders as well.

This isn't a go at you by the way but I'm over this obsession with micro-analysing every error that can invariably happen in a game of football; every player makes errors, you could probably find a clip of Maldini losing the flight of the ball away to Foggia or something in 1992 if you scoured hard enough. Bad players make lots of them, good players make them occasionally and great players make them rarely.

Back to Robbo, should have had an assist as well, great ball he put across in the second half, deserved someone gambling on it.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #797 on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:08 pm »
One cross, which happens and the onus - as the manager said - is to stop them at source and then for the keeper to help if god forbid it can't be dealt with. He was good for completely different reasons than usual; his passing was probably better than any of the midfielders as well.

This isn't a go at you by the way but I'm over this obsession with micro-analysing every error that can invariably happen in a game of football; every player makes errors, you could probably find a clip of Maldini losing the flight of the ball away to Foggia or something in 1992 if you scoured hard enough. Bad players make lots of them, good players make them occasionally and great players make them rarely.

Back to Robbo, should have had an assist as well, great ball he put across in the second half, deserved someone gambling on it.

in a nutshell...

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:16 pm »
If that's the case then it's a testament to how well he's performed since coming here.

I do agree, first half he struggled dealing with a few crosses. Think it was a one-off though, as he's usually alright.

I was about to reply the exact same thing when I read the initial post ;)

He's an extremely tidy player. Might have missed a couple of crosses today, but at the other end of the pitch, he put in a couple of beauties which we should look to attack at the far post.

I feel really assured with him playing at LB. Could be a very solid starter for us for years to come.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #799 on: February 11, 2018, 10:58:01 pm »
I much prefer Robertson as LB then brain fart Moreno. We look far more composed and he seems to have more positional sense than Moreno.

For me it’s now finding the right blend of Centre Half that includes VVD for us to have that solid defence.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19