Author Topic: Contaminated blood scandal - inquiry announced  (Read 1675 times)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Contaminated blood scandal - inquiry announced
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:13 pm »
I'm thinking of Fat Scouser and the thousands of others that have been campaigning for years about this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40566761

"An inquiry will be held into the contaminated blood scandal that left at least 2,400 people dead, the prime minister has confirmed.

It will establish the causes of the "appalling injustice" that took place in the 1970s and 1980s.

NHS patients were given blood products that were infected with diseases, such as hepatitis C and HIV.

Families of those who died will be consulted about what form the inquiry should take.

It could be a public Hillsborough-style inquiry or a judge-led statutory inquiry, Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed.

The prime minister's spokesman said: "It is a tragedy that has caused immeasurable hardship and pain for all those affected and a full inquiry to establish the truth of what happened is the right course of action to take.

"It is going to be a wide-ranging inquiry."

The spokesman said the decision to hold an investigation had been prompted by new evidence."

Fingers crossed, Leo, that justice will prevail.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Contaminated blood scandal inquiry announced
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:09 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40566761

An inquiry will be held into the contaminated blood scandal that left at least 2,400 people dead, the prime minister has confirmed.
It will establish the causes of the "appalling injustice" that took place in the 1970s and 1980s.
NHS patients were given blood products that were infected with diseases, such as hepatitis C and HIV.
Families of those who died will be consulted about what form the inquiry should take.
It could be a public Hillsborough-style inquiry or a judge-led statutory inquiry, Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed.
The prime minister's spokesman said: "It is a tragedy that has caused immeasurable hardship and pain for all those affected and a full inquiry to establish the truth of what happened is the right course of action to take.
"It is going to be a wide-ranging inquiry."
The spokesman said the decision to hold an investigation had been prompted by new evidence.
Blood disaster
It's been called the worst treatment disaster in the history of the NHS.
A recent parliamentary report found around 7,500 patients were infected by imported blood products.
Many were patients with an inherited bleeding disorder called haemophilia.

They needed regular treatment with a clotting agent Factor VIII, which is made from donated blood.
The UK imported supplies and some turned out to be infected. Much of the plasma used to make Factor VIII came from donors like prison inmates in the US, who sold their blood.
Jason Evans was just four years old when his father Jonathan, a haemophiliac, died after being infected with HIV through contaminated Factor VIII treatment.

Jason says patients would not have played Russian Roulette with their lives if they had known the risks
They needed regular treatment with a clotting agent Factor VIII, which is made from donated blood.
The UK imported supplies and some turned out to be infected. Much of the plasma used to make Factor VIII came from donors like prison inmates in the US, who sold their blood.
Jason Evans was just four years old when his father Jonathan, a haemophiliac, died after being infected with HIV through contaminated Factor VIII treatment.

Jason Evans father died of Aids after being infected with contaminated blood
Jason recently discovered that in late 1984 - his father had raised concerns with his doctors about Factor VIII but he says he was told "there was nothing to worry about, this is sensationalism and not to pay attention to it. And he trusted his doctor".
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Contaminated blood scandal - inquiry announced
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »
Been thinking loads about Leo this week as this has been in the news. Keep fighting, mate.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:53:25 pm »
I was thinking exactly the same as you guys when I saw this...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »
Been thinking loads about Leo this week as this has been in the news. Keep fighting, mate.

Exactly the same here. Big step forward this!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:29:03 pm »

Me too. Keep fighting Leo.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:09 am »
Really hope FS gets full satisfaction from whatever comes out of this.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:40 am »
I hope the inquiry is full, and exhaustive, and finds out exactly what happened in this tragedy.

I'm intrigued by why this was called, and what the new evidence is. It was absolutely not on the cards around 18 months ago - my friend did some work for the Department of Health, and that Government's policy was clear that there wouldn't be one.

Also want to echo all the kind thoughts to Leo in here!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:28:06 am »

I'm intrigued by why this was called...

The new Tory dependency on the DUP in the HoC possibly seems to have triggered the volte-face or at least played a significant part in the decision....

The letter is signed by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and, significantly, the DUP’s leader at Westminster Nigel Dodds - whose MPs the Prime Minister relies on to prop up her minority government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/blood-burnham-may_uk_59625132e4b0d5b458eb1675
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:54:27 am »
The new Tory dependency on the DUP in the HoC possibly seems to have triggered the volte-face or at least played a significant part in the decision....

The letter is signed by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and, significantly, the DUP’s leader at Westminster Nigel Dodds - whose MPs the Prime Minister relies on to prop up her minority government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/blood-burnham-may_uk_59625132e4b0d5b458eb1675

Thanks, I'd somehow missed that letter. I thought this was just an announcement by the Government.

The letter also cites the new evidence, which I don't think is public(?), but no doubt the coordination across parties must have played a significant role as you say. Good to see, along with the NI abortion ruling, some good coming from there being no majority government. And some positive collaboration - a word that seems to have become dirty in recent years

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:34:34 am »
A summary of the situation here in Private Eye.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:30:49 pm »
A summary of the situation here in Private Eye.
Good read, that. I'd forgotten Andy Burnham was health secretary...