Author Topic: Mayweather - McGregor  (Read 162608 times)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Mayweather - McGregor
« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »
People are forgetting that when they say Mayweather doesn't have huge knockout power, they are talking about his lack of KOs against the best boxers in the world who have spent their lives training boxing. Against a guy who isn't a boxer and is 0-0, who he should be able to hit at will and who won't see the punches coming, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to TKO him within the first 6.
But this is an area where his MMA experience is relevant. He's fought some of the best UFC fighters in his weight and has done great. And of course, they don't use gloves in UFC.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2017, 10:54:45 pm »
Props to Connor for getting this going and making an absolute killing but I'd put money on Floyd even if they made a rule that Floyd was only able to use one hand
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2017, 11:12:06 pm »
Floyd has good power. There is a reason why his opponents don't just walk through him. He punches hard enough to keep you honest. Once you recieve a couple right hands there is a reluctance to recieve then again. Floyd makes his opponents gun shy simple because they don't want to be countered.

I would like to know who McGregor is sparing with. Boxers at the top level need good sparring. Any remotely decent boxer should be trouble for McGregor in sparring.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2017, 11:14:02 pm »
If Mayweather wants to obliterate McGregor within a couple of rounds, he will do. If he wants to toy with him for a while, he will do.

I expect Mayweather to be his usual cautious self, especially since McGregor will almost certainly be very aggressive from the start. Wouldn't be surprised to see a check hook send him to sleep mind! McGregor will be exhausted by the mid-rounds and even Floyd won't be able to carry him much beyond that.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »
People are forgetting that when they say Mayweather doesn't have huge knockout power, they are talking about his lack of KOs against the best boxers in the world who have spent their lives training boxing. Against a guy who isn't a boxer and is 0-0, who he should be able to hit at will and who won't see the punches coming, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to TKO him within the first 6.

That's how I see it as well. I still think Conor will win, mind, but he'll need to get the knockout within the first round, maaaaaaaybe the second round at best. I don't see him lasting past that as he'll be winded just trying to chase Mayweather all across the ring and will waste most of his energy punching the air inches away from Mayweather's face.

He needs to surprise Mayweather early on and before Mayweather starts to get a grasp on McGregor's movement, rhythm, and style. I still think McGregor has the advantage in the early rounds as he'll be going for broke hoping to end it in one round, and I can't believe another professional boxer taking on Mayweather would have considered that as a bona fide tactic.

He's got a long reach and certified power, McGregor just needs his gloves to make contact with Mayweather's face a few times to completely change the percentage game. However, he'll be trying to do so against a fighter that's built his whole game around preventing it from happening.

Who wouldn't be excited to watch?
And how will the boxing world be shaken should McGregor, an MMA fighter fighting one of the greatest boxers in history and doing so in the boxing ring with boxing rules, win.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2017, 11:24:03 pm »
And how will the boxing world be shaken should McGregor, an MMA fighter fighting one of the greatest boxers in history and doing so in the boxing ring with boxing rules, win.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2017, 11:27:43 pm »
Where Floyd is so good is judging distance. He stands in an awkward spot where fighters think they are in range to land but mayweather is just out of range. 

To beat Floyd you need a very good jab and you need to be able to throw feints.

Going for broke just swinging early on will be futile.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2017, 11:28:37 pm »
Saw someone a while back say it would be like Barcelona playing Cavan's hurling minor team in a football match, probably not far off  ;D

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »
Where Floyd is so good is judging distance. He stands in an awkward spot where fighters think they are in range to land but mayweather is just out of range. 

To beat Floyd you need a very good jab and you need to be able to throw feints.

Going for broke just swinging early on will be futile.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2017, 11:30:04 pm »
That's how I see it as well. I still think Conor will win, mind, but he'll need to get the knockout within the first round, maaaaaaaybe the second round at best. I don't see him lasting past that as he'll be winded just trying to chase Mayweather all across the ring and will waste most of his energy punching the air inches away from Mayweather's face.

He needs to surprise Mayweather early on and before Mayweather starts to get a grasp on McGregor's movement, rhythm, and style. I still think McGregor has the advantage in the early rounds as he'll be going for broke hoping to end it in one round, and I can't believe another professional boxer taking on Mayweather would have considered that as a bona fide tactic.

He's got a long reach and certified power, McGregor just needs his gloves to make contact with Mayweather's face a few times to completely change the percentage game. However, he'll be trying to do so against a fighter that's built his whole game around preventing it from happening.

Who wouldn't be excited to watch?

Doc, I like your posts mate and you seem knowledgeable with a few sports. I also admire the fact that you have opinions on things and you stick to them even in the face of other people disagreeing, but you don't just shout from the rooftops. You offer balanced and fair reasons why you believe in things you do. On this point though I think you're out of your fucking mind :D

Do you think McGregor's power is sufficient enough to KO a guy who has been knocked down once in his career (twice if you want to be technical as it was maybe incorrectly ruled a slip if my memory serves me well), especially given that despite his almost impregnable defence the boxer in question has taken some flush punches from big hitters in the sport and not looked like being shaken?

Mayweather's chin is extremely underrated. IF McGregor's power is so good to KO him then we are talking about him having mega, mega fights with the likes of Golovkin and others. If McGregor punches as hard as you think he will then he will be from another planet, because on the off chance he does get past Mayweather's incredible defence it would take one hell of a dig, or combination of digs, to KO a guy who has never been KO'd before and who has a really good chin.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »
I would like to know who McGregor is sparing with. Boxers at the top level need good sparring. Any remotely decent boxer should be trouble for McGregor in sparring.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_van_Heerden

That's who he was sparring in the vid posted earlier in the thread

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:19 am »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_van_Heerden

That's who he was sparring in the vid posted earlier in the thread

Yeah seen that, it's worrying. Very bad balance and loads up far too much with his left hand.

Just doesn't have the footwork or balance for a Boxer. Can see him crossing his feet a lot in a boxing fight and being in bad positions to even throw punches

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:13 am »
Only three men in boxing have troubled ( for a few rounds) Floyd and 2 of them are legends (De La Hoya and Shane Mosley)  and the other one was back in 2002 which arguably Floyd lost in his first fight with Castillo.  So we're talking a young Mayweather here.  ;D

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2017, 01:26:37 am »
Only three men in boxing have troubled ( for a few rounds) Floyd and 2 of them are legends (De La Hoya and Shane Mosley)  and the other one was back in 2002 which arguably Floyd lost in his first fight with Castillo.  So we're talking a young Mayweather here.  ;D
I know boxing has the the big problem of IF X fought Y in his prime, and I made a joking reference to this fight in another post, but i really wish manny and mayweather fought each other when manny was at his best. I know Manny made excuses too, but I really think it might have been at least a bit different had it happened earlier. I am biased though

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2017, 01:54:35 am »
Anyone that thinks McGregor has more then 3% chance (and that's generous) needs to give their head a wobble

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:17 am »
On this point though I think you're out of your fucking mind :D

Do you think McGregor's power is sufficient enough to KO a guy who has been knocked down once in his career (twice if you want to be technical as it was maybe incorrectly ruled a slip if my memory serves me well), especially given that despite his almost impregnable defence the boxer in question has taken some flush punches from big hitters in the sport and not looked like being shaken?

Mayweather's chin is extremely underrated. IF McGregor's power is so good to KO him then we are talking about him having mega, mega fights with the likes of Golovkin and others. If McGregor punches as hard as you think he will then he will be from another planet, because on the off chance he does get past Mayweather's incredible defence it would take one hell of a dig, or combination of digs, to KO a guy who has never been KO'd before and who has a really good chin.

Firstly, with me, flattery will get you everywhere. Even if part of a carrot stick combo. ;D
Secondly,  your reasoning is sound, and by all accounts McGregor is the major underdog.
However, and I'm' not trying to take anything away from May weather's legacy, but you all know better than me that in the fight game anything can happen. Even the unthinkable. If there is even a 5% chance that McGregor can win than I'm all for it. The only way I can see him winning is via an early knockout.
We're also underestimating Mcgregor's ultra competitive and combative personality.  He talks so much about the financial aspect we almost overlook the technical, and tactical, qualities he posesses. He's already managed the unthinkable winning a belt in two classes when the UFC fanatics and experts explained  in depth explanations about how he would lose in a higher weight class.  He knocked out an undefeated champion that was supposedly his kryptonite in 12 seconds.

Odds are against him but he's made a living, quite literally, in knocking the establishment's opinions upside their head.
Also, it seems a lot of boxing supporters are underestimating the skillset of MMA fighters. They're generally skilled in various martial arts, and at a high level as well. Give them 7 months to solely focus on one type of fighting and they'll surprise you with their improvement. MMA is where the elite fighters are starting to turn to, they'll make boxing as irrelevant as K1 currently has become. :)
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2017, 06:52:31 am »
Completely different, both sports. In MMA you can see that fighters stand -with thier opponents- with enough distance to aviod leg kicks and step in to punch, there's no need to protect yourself it seems .. in MMA McGregor usualy stands 1-2 meters apart, from who ever he's fighting ...... it seems leg kicks are like jabs in the MMA world and people want to aviod getting kicked - mostly haha but seriously

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2017, 07:30:34 am »
Firstly, with me, flattery will get you everywhere. Even if part of a carrot stick combo. ;D
Secondly,  your reasoning is sound, and by all accounts McGregor is the major underdog.
However, and I'm' not trying to take anything away from May weather's legacy, but you all know better than me that in the fight game anything can happen. Even the unthinkable. If there is even a 5% chance that McGregor can win than I'm all for it. The only way I can see him winning is via an early knockout.
We're also underestimating Mcgregor's ultra competitive and combative personality.  He talks so much about the financial aspect we almost overlook the technical, and tactical, qualities he posesses. He's already managed the unthinkable winning a belt in two classes when the UFC fanatics and experts explained  in depth explanations about how he would lose in a higher weight class.  He knocked out an undefeated champion that was supposedly his kryptonite in 12 seconds.

Odds are against him but he's made a living, quite literally, in knocking the establishment's opinions upside their head.
Also, it seems a lot of boxing supporters are underestimating the skillset of MMA fighters. They're generally skilled in various martial arts, and at a high level as well. Give them 7 months to solely focus on one type of fighting and they'll surprise you with their improvement. MMA is where the elite fighters are starting to turn to, they'll make boxing as irrelevant as K1 currently has become. :)

This is incredibly one sided.

For a start, Conor fought a guy off the beach on a week's notice, gassed and got rocked and tapped in two rounds. He's never defended a belt, nor had he won a fight at 155 before getting that title shot against probably the easiest guy he could possibly face at the top end of that division.

So he doesn't "upset the odds and experts", not really.

I also don't see how you get the idea that MMA fighters are supremely talented athletes. Most of them are left with no other way of making a living.  A lot of guys do it part time.

To put that into perspective - when Floyd fought Manny, his paycheck was more than every single UFC fighter had ever earned in the history of the company up until that point, combined. If there were athletes capable of boxing at the highest level, why weren't they boxing at the highest level instead of earning 8 grand per fight with no sponsors allowed because UFC banned them all?

I enjoy MMA, but in terms if the athletes competing, it's legit the very bottom rung of the athletic world.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Purple Gorilla

• Anny Roader
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:21 am »
Doc, I like your posts mate and you seem knowledgeable with a few sports. I also admire the fact that you have opinions on things and you stick to them even in the face of other people disagreeing, but you don't just shout from the rooftops. You offer balanced and fair reasons why you believe in things you do. On this point though I think you're out of your fucking mind :D

Mayweather's glove has touched the deck twice, hes never been off his feet by a punch. The first one was against Carlos Hernandez where he had damaged his hand an then threw a left hook which connected on Hernandez and because of the pain he felt he turned away in pain bent over and his glove hit the deck and got a count. The second one your on your right it never got given as a legal knockdown but it should of. Against Judah he got caught with a punch abit off balance and put his hand down to steady himself, the ref never gave him a count an counted it as a slip which he shouldn't of done.

Offline Purple Gorilla

• Anny Roader
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2017, 10:26:40 am »
Yeah seen that, it's worrying. Very bad balance and loads up far too much with his left hand.

Just doesn't have the footwork or balance for a Boxer. Can see him crossing his feet a lot in a boxing fight and being in bad positions to even throw punches

Van Heerden put out that video because at the time of the spar conors team put out a similar video where on that video it only shown conor tagging Van Heerden and people started giving Van Heerden shit and he got upset about it and obviously he put that video out to try an save some face. the video going round now was going around back then aswell just now with the Mayweather fight being announced it getting major publicity. Van Heerdens also doing it to get noticed thats plain to see and to be honest you can't blame him his careers not exactly going anywhere and with the media around the spar maybe he feels like something will come out of it. He's already been on a few us sports shows talking about it and i'd guess he'll be on a few more aslong as he's milking the exposure which he doesn't/wouldn't get normally.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:22 am »
MMA is where the elite fighters are starting to turn to, they'll make boxing as irrelevant as K1 currently has become. :)

Pack it in, that's bollocks

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: June 19, 2017, 12:10:16 pm »
Pack it in, that's bollocks

Not backing from that, it's my opinion.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
Not backing from that, it's my opinion.

My opinion is UFC is a fad. I remember buying VHS videos from the back of the paper in the 90s because it was illegal.

It's such a young sport, that has had a huge rise in popularity so quickly, that now it's got all billy big bollocks and thinks it can put boxing in its place?

Never happen. The popularity has a ceiling. As a casual watcher of boxing, I'm one of millions who watches the big fights.

Casual watches don't and won't watch UFC. It's not a sport you dip into that way.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »
My opinion is UFC is a fad.

Fair enough.
Unless you've got the DeLorean all set up, we'll just have to wait a few more decades to see which one of us was closer to reality.
In the meantime, it's interesting to see the absolute confidence projecting a Mayweather win.
At least we won't be hearing any excuses if things turn out different.
I can already imagine Mayweather dropping to the canvas with McGregor standing over him having delivered the final blow ala Ali.
Now that would be awkward. ;D

Van Heerden put out that video because at the time of the spar conors team put out a similar video where on that video it only shown conor tagging Van Heerden and people started giving Van Heerden shit and he got upset about it and obviously he put that video out to try an save some face. the video going round now was going around back then aswell just now with the Mayweather fight being announced it getting major publicity. Van Heerdens also doing it to get noticed thats plain to see and to be honest you can't blame him his careers not exactly going anywhere and with the media around the spar maybe he feels like something will come out of it. He's already been on a few us sports shows talking about it and i'd guess he'll be on a few more aslong as he's milking the exposure which he doesn't/wouldn't get normally.

Interesting. Makes more sense as well.
When abouts were both videos made?

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:27 pm »
Fair enough.
Unless you've got the DeLorean all set up, we'll just have to wait a few more decades to see which one of us was closer to reality.

The reality is the range of fighting styles is too varied in UFC to attract the mainstream. You can get one fight with 2 strikers and the viewer thinks fuck yeah, that was a great fight.

Next 4 or 5 fights could be 2 technical judo fighters or wrestlers, grappling for five rounds .... casual viewer thinks fuck this.

People understand boxing. Therefore will always tune in for the big fights. Hence the money disparity and the UFC ceiling.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
Funny how its' the UFC failed boxers who keep calling out the actual boxers.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »
That's how I see it as well. I still think Conor will win, mind, but he'll need to get the knockout within the first round, maaaaaaaybe the second round at best.

You make it sound so simple. Like all he has to do is just get in there, knock him out in the first 2 rounds, and boom, it's job done.

If it was really that easy then you'd have to wonder why the 40 odd professional boxers that Mayweather has fought all failed to put him on his arse

He's undefeated, has never been knocked out and has only been knocked down twice in his entire career

Yet you think Conor McGregor, who has never boxed professionally, is going to hop in there and polish him off in 2 rounds?

Anyone thinking McGregor has even the slightest chance of knocking Mayweather out needs sectioning ;D
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »
Funny how its' the UFC failed boxers who keep calling out the actual boxers.

It's happened the other way around too. Fury calling out Cain, Lomachenko tweeting McGregor, Amir Khan likewise...

Don't see why there's always a rush to use one to belittle the other myself but never mind.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:53 pm »
The reality is the range of fighting styles is too varied in UFC to attract the mainstream. You can get one fight with 2 strikers and the viewer thinks fuck yeah, that was a great fight.

Next 4 or 5 fights could be 2 technical judo fighters or wrestlers, grappling for five rounds .... casual viewer thinks fuck this.

People understand boxing. Therefore will always tune in for the big fights. Hence the money disparity and the UFC ceiling.

The money disparity in the UFC is nothing to do with people not understanding different styles. It's to do with the fact that they are the only game in town and they can lock fighters down to iron clad contracts so that they can then bully the fighters and keep the fighter pay low. In terms of revenue, the fighters draw the money and the UFC takes most of it and gives a fraction to the fighters.

MMA is here to stay now. There will be up and down periods depending on creating star fighters. Combat sports is star driven and as long as MMA or Boxing create stars, they will boom.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:56:58 pm by LFC when it suits »

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »
So which UFC fighters have been calling out boxers?

Let's play this through then, I'm a boxer I try boxing find out that I'm not really great at it , do I decide I need to do MMA because now that's 3 skills I need to become proficient in and one of them just happens to be hand striking which I just found out I'm not as good as I thought I was at that. Makes sense.

From memory,
Anderson Silva Roy Jones Junior
Stipe Miocic Anthony joshua
Cub Swanson Paulie mallinagi
Jimi Manuwa Anthony Joshua

Only boxer i can ever remeber calling out  a UFC fighter was Tyson Fury calling out Cain Velasquez
Insert obscure quote here

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:07 pm »
Anderson Silva and Stipe Miocic called out RJJ and Anthony Joshua respectively. Dana White and Sean Sherk chased down Mayweather in a hotel to confront him for talking shit about MMA. Rousey was going to box after MMA at one point. UFC fighters (but mostly boxercise instructor Dana White) have always had a hard-on for boxers.

FWIW, MMA athletes are unquestionably at the bottom end of the athletic scale. If you could play any other sport to a higher level, you'd get paid more. So why wouldn't you? There was a long article with Bones Jones, a one-time shoe in for MMA GOAT. Before he started MMA training he was basically the clumsy goof brother to his two NFL player brothers.

Brock Lesnar released from Minnesota vikings too. No heavy weight talent because football and NBA gets first pick
Insert obscure quote here

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:17 pm »
Brock Lesnar released from Minnesota vikings too. No heavy weight talent because football and NBA gets first pick

Brock never played football in his life and started at the age 26 after 4 years of pro wrestling wear and tear and he got cut at the last stage. Brock is a freak athlete and would have made it far if he started football young.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
The money disparity in the UFC is nothing to do with people not understanding different styles. It's to do with the fact that they are the only game in town and they can lock fighters down to iron clad contracts so that they can then bully the fighters and keep the fighter pay low. In terms of revenue, the fighters draw the money and the UFC takes most of it and gives a fraction to the fighters.

MMA is here to stay now. There will be up and down periods depending on creating star fighters. Combat sports is star driven and as long as MMA or Boxing create stars, they will boom.

So they call boxers out for a payday?

It's a bit of a joke really then.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »
You make it sound so simple. Like all he has to do is just get in there, knock him out in the first 2 rounds, and boom, it's job done.
If it was really that easy then you'd have to wonder why the 40 odd professional boxers that Mayweather has fought all failed to put him on his arse
He's undefeated, has never been knocked out and has only been knocked down twice in his entire career
Yet you think Conor McGregor, who has never boxed professionally, is going to hop in there and polish him off in 2 rounds?

What I'm saying is, the only way I see McGregor winning is via a knockout within the first, latest second, round.
Anything longer and it's curtains for him. So in that sense, the gameplan is rather straight forward, the execution is the hard part. How that transfers into the ring is why we pay the money to watch. No one has said anything about it being simple or easy.

In my opinion, I think McGregor (and MMA) as a fighter is being underestimated. I think he'll be prepared. And I think he'll manage the seemingly impossible. My argument for that is, Mayweather has faced better boxers, quicker boxers, but boxers that came in to box with a boxer's mentality aiming to beat Mayweather if they can via knockout or via points. McGregor only has one way he can win, and a short period to do so. He won't be saving anything in the tank for another 10 rounds, and that makes him dangerous. He has reach, proven power for knocking people out, and 5 minutes for him to try to achieve it against a 40 yr old fighter. Will that be enough to overcome Mayweather's elusive skills? We'll see.

It's part of the trash talk game though, isn't it.
Champion in your weight class, challenge another champion in your weight class for bragging rights.
Hardly ever going to happen though, but it would be exciting to watch.
Unfortunately, it can only work if the MMA fighter switches to a boxing ring. The one dimensional aspect of boxing means challengers will always have to come to their realm rather than the other way around. Because let's face it, Mayweather or Joshua wouldn't last 5 seconds in an octagon.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2017, 01:26:00 pm »
It's part of the trash talk game though, isn't it.
Champion in your weight class, challenge another champion in your weight class for bragging rights.
Hardly ever going to happen though, but it would be exciting to watch.
Unfortunately, it can only work if the MMA fighter switches to a boxing ring. The one dimensional aspect of boxing means challengers will always have to come to their realm rather than the other way around. Because let's face it, Mayweather or Joshua wouldn't last 5 seconds in an octagon.

Sounds like UFC needs to get its own house in order. Surely they can get rid of that Dana White character and divvy the money up properly?

Boxing isnt blameless in this particular farce, McGregor should not have been given a license.

Why would Mayweather or Joshua who've dedicated their lives to mastering an art, get in a ring with a jack of all trades, master of fuck all throwing kicks and elbows?

It's UFC that feels it has something to prove here, not Boxing.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »

It is a bit of a joke to be honest. The top fighters gets paid well but they don't get anywhere near the share of the revenue that top boxers get. On 1.6 million PPV buys, McGregor got 3 million to show and about 10-12 mill in PPV (roughly of the top of my head). In boxing, a guy who can draw those kind of numbers would be getting more than that for their purse without even considering PPV dollars.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »
Lots of videos on Youtube slamming McGregor on a sparring tape that was released and highly edited.

Paulie malignaggi says he looks awful,off balance and throws his left to much leaving him self wide open.

I'm giving this charade a big swerve.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:30 pm »
Sounds like UFC needs to get its own house in order. Surely they can get rid of that Dana White character and divvy the money up properly?

Boxing isnt blameless in this particular farce, McGregor should not have been given a license.

Why would Mayweather or Joshua who've dedicated their lives to mastering an art, get in a ring with a jack of all trades, master of fuck all throwing kicks and elbows?

It's UFC that feels it has something to prove here, not Boxing.

MMA has nothing to prove. Boxing is the sport of punching and MMA is the sport of fighting. In a fight, without a specific set of rules to limit you, the MMA fighter kills the boxer 95 times out of 100.

Funnily enough, if Mayweather and Mcgregor fought 100 MMA fights and 100 boxing matches, I would say that Mayweather wins more MMA fights than McGregor wins boxing matches. McGregor would win 0 boxing matches but Mayweather realistically could KO McGregor a couple of times if the fight stays standing and Conor makes a mistake. There is no way McGregor realistically beats Floyd.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:01 pm »
Lots of videos on Youtube slamming McGregor on a sparring tape that was released and highly edited.

Paulie malignaggi says he looks awful,off balance and throws his left to much leaving him self wide open.

I'm giving this charade a big swerve.

The first footage of the sparring session was released by McGregor a year ago (edited in his favour) when he was preparing for the Diaz fight. He was boxing in preparation for an MMA fight so his style would be different. Prior to it's release, Van Heerdan was more complimentary about Conor's boxing ability.  After the release, he was obviously pissed and released his own footage showing himself in a better light. The original footage released by Conor which shows more of their sparring session is in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY5c-LPKDi8

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2017, 02:19:28 pm »
In my opinion, I think McGregor (and MMA) as a fighter is being underestimated. I think he'll be prepared. And I think he'll manage the seemingly impossible. My argument for that is, Mayweather has faced better boxers, quicker boxers, but boxers that came in to box with a boxer's mentality aiming to beat Mayweather if they can via knockout or via points. McGregor only has one way he can win, and a short period to do so. He won't be saving anything in the tank for another 10 rounds, and that makes him dangerous. He has reach, proven power for knocking people out, and 5 minutes for him to try to achieve it against a 40 yr old fighter. Will that be enough to overcome Mayweather's elusive skills? We'll see.

Where have you got this idea that no one's tried to knock Mayweather out in the first round. Honest question mate, how many of Floyd's fights have you seen?