Author Topic: Holiday 2017  (Read 43433 times)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
Re: Holiday 2017
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2017, 03:47:49 am »
I went to Acapulco in Mexico (where I currently live) last weekend and it was Ok. I reckon it's a bit overrated. I prefer Playa del Carmen (where I went to last summer)
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: November 25, 2017, 01:57:00 am »
I'll upload some pictures when over the weekend  :wave

Aahhh amazing. Thanks for that! Quite timely as a mate of mine just reminded me that I promised we’ll go to the Tokyo Olympics! I’ll send the tips over!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: November 25, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
Just got back from Reykjavík- absolutely amazing place, Thomson (tui) doin some good deals which include a few trips, great value.  The prices are eye watering tho, £11 a pint, happy hour was getting hammered 😄
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: November 26, 2017, 03:00:35 pm »
Just got back from Reykjavík- absolutely amazing place, Thomson (tui) doin some good deals which include a few trips, great value.  The prices are eye watering tho, £11 a pint, happy hour was getting hammered 😄

The junior developer I'm training has flown there today for a week with her fella. She won't be happy with those prices !!!!  They've got a few trips planned, which sound great, so can look forward to constant chatter all morning next Monday.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #404 on: November 27, 2017, 10:10:30 am »
Guys need some help/advice!

Looking to go on a 3 day break (weekend/nye) to visit Athens and do something completely different for new years eve and day.

Where's the best place to book for flights/hotels! Budget £300-400 per person!

Thank you
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: November 27, 2017, 04:53:10 pm »
Going this week! Can't wait. Booked golden circle tour & northern lights.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57:08 pm »
Pricing out some flights for 2018 as always nice to do some prelim planning...good for the soul. For less than a $1000 I can book a  couple of flights to Iceland and Katmandu. That is not bad as def on my bucket list and even if I strike one off next year its a plus. Hey even looking at flights makes the day seem brighter.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: December 21, 2017, 03:11:15 pm »
Going this week! Can't wait. Booked golden circle tour & northern lights.

How was it? Me and a mate are going on NYE for a few days.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: December 22, 2017, 06:00:22 am »
How was it? Me and a mate are going on NYE for a few days.

NYE in Reykjavik is bonkers. The fireworks are incredible, because the people light up the sky. Literally every Icelander in town buys a bunch of fireworks and lights up. It's chaotic, disorganized but just incredible. For great views, go to the Hallgrimskirkja or Perlan. Hallgrimskirkja is easier as it is bang in the middle of town. Then head out to any bar in the 101 area and you're set until dawn. Keep a couple of bottles in your room and you can continue until late morning, because that's how the Icelanders roll!

If you're booking a northern lights tour, try to book it early on in your trip. First three days maybe. So if it does get cancelled due to bad weather, you can always get rescheduled for another day.

Also check this hotdog stand out in Reykjavik called Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur. Translates to Town's Best Hotdog, and is no exaggeration. Better than any I've ever had.

If you have any other questions or need any more tips, feel free to ask  :wave
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:08:20 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:28 am »
If you have any other questions or need any more tips, feel free to ask  :wave

That's great, thank you! I've read about the fireworks on NYE. It's actually a bit of a coincidence that we'll be there then (it was the only date range that worked for us to get away) but really looking forward to it now. Northern lights are number one on my list of things-to-see. Whales are number one on hers, so our plans over there will likely be:

31st Dec: Hotel is near Perlan so we'll watch the fireworks from there
1st Jan (and onwards if necessary): Northern Lights (during the day we'll bum around Reykjavik & maybe Blue Lagoon)
2nd Jan: Golden Circle Tour
3rd Jan: Whale Watching
4th Jan: Undecided - maybe Silfra / South Shore / Something else!

Should be good for a first trip, anyway :)

Will deffo check out the hotdogs. I've heard the food isn't great in Iceland in general though!

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: December 22, 2017, 11:33:43 am »
That's great, thank you! I've read about the fireworks on NYE. It's actually a bit of a coincidence that we'll be there then (it was the only date range that worked for us to get away) but really looking forward to it now. Northern lights are number one on my list of things-to-see. Whales are number one on hers, so our plans over there will likely be:

31st Dec: Hotel is near Perlan so we'll watch the fireworks from there
1st Jan (and onwards if necessary): Northern Lights (during the day we'll bum around Reykjavik & maybe Blue Lagoon)
2nd Jan: Golden Circle Tour
3rd Jan: Whale Watching
4th Jan: Undecided - maybe Silfra / South Shore / Something else!

Should be good for a first trip, anyway :)

Will deffo check out the hotdogs. I've heard the food isn't great in Iceland in general though!

Sounds like a decent plan. Whale watching wouldn't take more than 4 hours all round, so you'll still have half a day left. Reykjavik downtown is rather tiny so you'll be able to see everything on foot. It's really beautiful. Climb up the Hallgrimskirkja for some beautiful city sights.

I thought the food was fantastic. You may have to be open to a bit of experimentation though. Try the arctic char, if seafood is your thing. I've never had a less than fantastic experience with the fish of the day/soup of the day at Ostabudin, anything I've eaten at Café Loki, some fantastic cinnamon buns at Braud & Co., and arguably the best Asian noodle soup that I've had in Europe at Noodle Station. There's also various other delicacies like dried fish, fermented sharks, puffin meat and the like (Loki's "Icelandic braveheart" tests your resolve with -IIRC- dried fish, fermented shark, sheep head jelly and a shot of Brennevin!).

I'd also recommend visiting a public swimming pool for the hot baths instead of Blue Lagoon. Baths are like bars in Iceland. They are a great place to get talking to locals on a weekday evening. A lot of tourists do tend to go to the Blue Lagoon near the airport, but it's way too touristy and terribly overpriced at around 60 Euros. We gave it a miss and tried a local pool one evening, and ended up going to 4 other public baths in our visit. Costs around 10 Euros tops. Pro tip: Nautholsvik is a pool on the Atlantic Ocean, you have a hot tub overlooking a lagoon which connects to the ocean. Run to the lagoon for a 5C dip, brave a dip into the ocean at negative temps and run back to the hot tub for a 40C soak. I gave it a try and was quite a spectacle amongst the locals there :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:37:32 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: December 23, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
Sounds like a decent plan. Whale watching wouldn't take more than 4 hours all round, so you'll still have half a day left. Reykjavik downtown is rather tiny so you'll be able to see everything on foot. It's really beautiful. Climb up the Hallgrimskirkja for some beautiful city sights.

I thought the food was fantastic. You may have to be open to a bit of experimentation though. Try the arctic char, if seafood is your thing. I've never had a less than fantastic experience with the fish of the day/soup of the day at Ostabudin, anything I've eaten at Café Loki, some fantastic cinnamon buns at Braud & Co., and arguably the best Asian noodle soup that I've had in Europe at Noodle Station. There's also various other delicacies like dried fish, fermented sharks, puffin meat and the like (Loki's "Icelandic braveheart" tests your resolve with -IIRC- dried fish, fermented shark, sheep head jelly and a shot of Brennevin!).

I'd also recommend visiting a public swimming pool for the hot baths instead of Blue Lagoon. Baths are like bars in Iceland. They are a great place to get talking to locals on a weekday evening. A lot of tourists do tend to go to the Blue Lagoon near the airport, but it's way too touristy and terribly overpriced at around 60 Euros. We gave it a miss and tried a local pool one evening, and ended up going to 4 other public baths in our visit. Costs around 10 Euros tops. Pro tip: Nautholsvik is a pool on the Atlantic Ocean, you have a hot tub overlooking a lagoon which connects to the ocean. Run to the lagoon for a 5C dip, brave a dip into the ocean at negative temps and run back to the hot tub for a 40C soak. I gave it a try and was quite a spectacle amongst the locals there :D

Cheers for the tips as just quoting you so I can refer back to my notes if and when I hit Iceland myself. Local pools it is as feck the tourists :)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: December 23, 2017, 10:52:21 am »

Nice one! Thanks for all the tips! :)

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #413 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:27 am »
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but does anyone have any sites they can recommend to book a skiing weekend?

Total beginner here, never skied before but always wanted to try it. Looking for a 3/4 day trip with low cost somewhere in Europe thats good for beginners. just have no idea where to start

Thank you!

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #414 on: January 18, 2018, 03:28:39 am »
I went to Acapulco in Mexico (where I currently live) last weekend and it was Ok. I reckon it's a bit overrated. I prefer Playa del Carmen (where I went to last summer)

You can go loco down there
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #415 on: January 18, 2018, 03:33:14 am »
Lithuania today then Warsaw and Szezchin .

;D

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 18, 2018, 06:46:12 am »
Got pulled at security at Manchester as my wife's handbag tested positive for some explosive chemical !!!! All OK and on way to tenerife
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA