Author Topic: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?  (Read 107802 times)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
As Craig says, there is nothing new come out as far as I can see about devices recording everything you say.  In fact what we have seen is how it is possible for Facebook etc to get all this information about you without having to record you.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
This happens for sure, I'm convinced of it.

Many times when I speak about certain things,  especially during phone calls, an ad pops up some time later related to it.

For instance I was talking on the phone about batteries one evening, sizes and what brand to get (For a child's toy). Then low and behold two ads for Duracell on Instagram that evening.

That's just one instance, feel like this happens the whole time. Only found out the other day about the audio recordings in my Google activity. Imagine what's going on that we don't know
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

Many times when I speak about certain things,  especially during phone calls, an ad pops up some time later related to it.

For instance I was talking on the phone about batteries one evening, sizes and what brand to get (For a child's toy). Then low and behold two ads for Duracell on Instagram that evening.

That's just one instance, feel like this happens the whole time. Only found out the other day about the audio recordings in my Google activity. Imagine what's going on that we don't know

What's your network and phone model man?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
What's your network and phone model man?
With Three in Ireland. Samsung S7 edge mate.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I noticed that last summer, Google were asking for permission to record voice so that they could improve the voice recognition software.

to be honest, we lost all anonymity years ago. Loyalty cards that track your purchases came out years ago and with smartphones they know every move you make, where you shop, where you live, where you work, where you eat and drink etc etc etc.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I do not use Google, ever, I do not use Facebook or any other so called social media, well apart from RAWK I suppose, and youtube if you class youtube as social media.

I have 2 apps on my phone, one called Block Mic and the other called Camera Guard so nobody is spying on me via the microphone or camera on my phone.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
As Craig says, there is nothing new come out as far as I can see about devices recording everything you say.  In fact what we have seen is how it is possible for Facebook etc to get all this information about you without having to record you.

The technology is there so the only thing stopping them from recording everything you say is there honesty and integrity. Nuff said.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

I have 2 apps on my phone, one called Block Mic and the other called Camera Guard so nobody is spying on me via the microphone or camera on my phone.

Apart from those 2 apps

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The technology is there so the only thing stopping them from recording everything you say is there honesty and integrity. Nuff said.

It's debatable if the technology is there (without being caught out), but that wasn't my point anyway.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
I do not use Google, ever, I do not use Facebook or any other so called social media, well apart from RAWK I suppose, and youtube if you class youtube as social media.

Well, youtube is Google.
Android is Google (if you have such a phone).
iCloud runs on Google Cloud, if you have that type of phone.
Google maps is Google.

Plus, you don't need a Google or Facebook account for them to track you, they will create a shadow profile for you and store the data anyway.
Then there's the banks, credit companies and other players too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:08:19 pm by conman »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

Explosive Facebook Memo Leaks: Top Exec Defended Growth Even If People Get Killed - https://fossbytes.com/explosive-facebook-memo-leaked-boz-defended-growth/

Facebook 'ugly truth' growth memo haunts firm - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43594959

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Explosive Facebook Memo Leaks: Top Exec Defended Growth Even If People Get Killed - https://fossbytes.com/explosive-facebook-memo-leaked-boz-defended-growth/

Facebook 'ugly truth' growth memo haunts firm - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43594959
Yeah but if you read the report he says he didn't mean it so that all right then, isn't it?

Seems like a very trustworthy fella to me which makes the fact that large corporations would ever lie very unlikely.......
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Interestingly, I've had no recurrence of these issues since I switched back to an iPhone and have deleted Facebook completely.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJosQBtzsw

Zuckerberg is sweating like a pig here.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJosQBtzsw

Zuckerberg is sweating like a pig here.
Zuckerberg before Congress, this is good viewing, he's getting roasted here   :)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Time Ladies and Gentlemen please.

Wetherspoon's are out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43781281

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Time Ladies and Gentlemen please.

Wetherspoon's are out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43781281

Not a surprise, the time that social media takes to do properly is pretty consuming, and expensive if you bring in a 3rd party company to manage it. For a company like Wetherspoons, where a lot of its target market can be reached in other ways, it kind of makes sense to not bother. Plus they can still market on there without having an active page and drive people to their website.

Expect we’ll see plenty more companies taking the same decision, or at least really limiting the amount they use it.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

'Facebook admits it does track non-users, for their own good'...

('Oh that snitch-code? It's just a little thing to make the web more convenient ... for Facebook and its advertisers')

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/17/facebook_admits_to_tracking_non_users/

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

'You know that silly fear about Alexa recording everything and leaking it online? It just happened'

US pair's private chat sent to coworker by AI bug

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/24/alexa_recording_couple/

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
TBF, that’s a weird story that involves a lot of strange coincidences happening as well as them not hearing the multiple responses from the device itself.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
TBF, that’s a weird story that involves a lot of strange coincidences happening as well as them not hearing the multiple responses from the device itself.

Weirdly I don't see it was particularly weird. There must be millions of Alexa devices and therefore billions of conversations have gone through the Alexa servers. The idea that one conversation will have happened in a sequence that triggered Alexa to do something very specific isn't all that outlandish especially if they were having a hearty debate about whatever it was.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Weirdly I don't see it was particularly weird. There must be millions of Alexa devices and therefore billions of conversations have gone through the Alexa servers. The idea that one conversation will have happened in a sequence that triggered Alexa to do something very specific isn't all that outlandish especially if they were having a hearty debate about whatever it was.

They were apparently talking about wood floors  ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Amazon's response....

"Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like "Alexa." Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a "send message" request. At which point, Alexa said out loud "To whom?" At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, "[contact name], right?" Alexa then interpreted background conversation as "right". As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely."

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
'You know that silly fear about Alexa recording everything and leaking it online? It just happened'

US pair's private chat sent to coworker by AI bug

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/24/alexa_recording_couple/

The couple then went around their home unplugging all their Amazon Alexa gadgets – they had them all over the place to manage various smart home devices, including a thermostat and security system – and then called the web giant to complain about the snooping tech.

Serves them right if true - I hate the thought of people being 'bugged' or listened in on via their phones, but if you're going to pay a digital maid nowadays, you can't moan when she throws a wobbler.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Serves them right if true - I hate the thought of people being 'bugged' or listened in on via their phones, but if you're going to pay a digital maid nowadays, you can't moan when she throws a wobbler.

whilst i understand your point of view, based on previous.

The fact of the matter is, if you buy a thermostat, it shouldn't be spying on you. So Google/Amazon, etc should be held accountable.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
whilst i understand your point of view, based on previous.

The fact of the matter is, if you buy a thermostat, it shouldn't be spying on you. So Google/Amazon, etc should be held accountable.

Alexa is not a thermostat - it's an advanced voice recognition device with AI that interprets your commands once it hears a command word. If you buy a system that is specifically designed to eavesdrop on you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you shouldn't get upset if it occasionally mis-hears what you say.

I don't have an Alexa and won't have one. I don't use Siri either because they are imperfect and obviously prone to mistakes.

"...I bought a complex device that is complicated way beyond my own expertise and comprehension and I have zero understanding of what is really going on the background to make it work, who or what it communicates with and is governed by terms and conditions that I have never bothered to actually read... ...but hey... it's someone else's problem when it makes a mistake..."
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Alexa is not a thermostat - it's an advanced voice recognition device with AI that interprets your commands once it hears a command word. If you buy a system that is specifically designed to eavesdrop on you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you shouldn't get upset if it occasionally mis-hears what you say.

I don't have an Alexa and won't have one. I don't use Siri either because they are imperfect and obviously prone to mistakes.

"...I bought a complex device that is complicated way beyond my own expertise and comprehension and I have zero understanding of what is really going on the background to make it work, who or what it communicates with and is governed by terms and conditions that I have never bothered to actually read... ...but hey... it's someone else's problem when it makes a mistake..."

I have the same viewpoint, but from a totally different perspective, but yes... with the same resolution.

Phones, if true, are a no go, they're the new bible with Facebook as King James. They are meant to be personal and whilst the religious aliteration may be a step too far, they are most definitely our new diaries. We open them to the public when we choose to, but that doesn't mean that all this privacy bullshit is going to be resolved.

The whole focus going to continually transform and bleed into the public realm until it becomes old hat. The same thing happened with cookies, and yes, a totally different discussion altogether.

But I have no sympathy at all for Alexa users who bought into this. As has been said, if these things truly do mishear its hotword/name, then it is just beggars belief that anyone would firstly buy one in the first place, continue to use it after the novelty wore off, and continue to use it after some of the reports surfacing.

There's a moral and ethical responsibility on behalf of the manufacturers to stop this happening - perhaps it will in later updates get better and learn people's voices better... my girlfriend has one and I tried a few "X's" here and there and it woke to about 20% of the things I was trying. I can't remember the hotwords, but a muttered axe set it off.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Haven't read all this thread through so this may be explained fairly simply but basically I have been researching something this week on my work PC and did a Google search and Google Image search and discussed it in the office/on the phone (not my mobile). Today I have had a recommendation on my Instagram to follow a page on the same subject, which I have definitely never searched for on my phone or any of my phone apps.

So, is Google storing the info on my work PC and then linking to my Insta account (which I do sometimes check on the work PC)? Instagram is owned by FB isn't it, which I also have open on the work PC all day but haven't had the same recommendation on. I have also never searched this subject on my FB or Insta.

I assume this is it but it slightly unnerved me when I got the recommendation on my phone last night!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I imagine there is probably some agreement between Google and FB/Instagram for ad placements. Google/FB will have linked your various accounts through where you have logged in, devices, etc.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
I imagine there is probably some agreement between Google and FB/Instagram for ad placements. Google/FB will have linked your various accounts through where you have logged in, devices, etc.
Right ok, so even if I'm on a work Google account it would link to a private Google/fb account due to both having been used on the same PC? Makes sense I guess, thanks!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Amazon's response....

"Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like "Alexa." Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a "send message" request. At which point, Alexa said out loud "To whom?" At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, "[contact name], right?" Alexa then interpreted background conversation as "right". As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely."
Sounds like a response from Vicky Polland...

You and Alan got your caps ready for when the real truth comes out and it all wasn't just an amazing, on off, incredible coincidence?? 

Tick Tock Guys, time to save face.....  :wave
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
This probably isn't news to anyone but I had an interview for a tech job and they knew via google that I'd been on their  website watching their videos and researching the role.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
This probably isn't news to anyone but I had an interview for a tech job and they knew via google that I'd been on their  website watching their videos and researching the role.

You'd have had to visit their site via some link they'd sent you, or a page specifically for you, so they could capture your IP address. Then they could track your activity on their website easily.

However if you just search google and went to their site then they've probably made a lucky guess to try to seem clever.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:46:24 am by CraigDS »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
You'd have had to visit their site via some link they'd sent you, or a page specifically for you, so they could capture your IP address. Then they could track your activity on their website easily.

However if you just search google and went to their site then they've probably made a lucky guess to try to seem clever.

Yeah they knew I had an interview and saw someone local all over their website half an hour before, I guess. Still pretty wild that Google has it all.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Yeah they knew I had an interview and saw someone local all over their website half an hour before, I guess. Still pretty wild that Google has it all.

You can watch people on your website via Google Analytics. They do a live view window where you can literally watch as they click through from page to page.

That's partly how their remarketing works, so if you viewed wood decking on B&Qs website they can then chase you round the internet showing you adverts for the stuff.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/03/research-facebook-probably-isnt-listening-phone/

Some people still believe that their phones are listening in to gather data that will inform targeted advertising or compromise their privacy. Facebook has directly denied that its apps are listening in Congressional hearings, but there hasn't been a rigorous scientific study of the issue. Academics at Northeastern University, however, have finally done just that (though only on Android devices).

As reported by Gizmodo, researchers Elleen Pan, Jingjing Ren, Martina Lindorfer, Christo Wilson, and David Choffnes studied more than 17,000 apps, including ones from Facebook and those that send information to Facebook, to see if any of them were capturing audio via Android phone microphones. As you might have guessed, the researchers found no evidence of apps activating the microphone or sending audio on the sly.

They did, however, discover something disturbing: some apps were sending phone screen recordings out to third parties. In one case, they found that GoPuff, a junk food delivery app, was sending screen shots and video recordings of user screens to analytics company, AppSee. That might make sense in our highly connected world, but this behavior was not disclosed in GoPuff's privacy policy (the company has since added a line to cover the usage).