Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 612462 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #4120 on: January 9, 2018, 07:48:37 pm »
DeRozan is so good these days.
Him and Curry named players of the week and deservedly so.
Turns out his dad has life-threatening kidney issues last few weeks and he's been flying back and forth to NY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m pretty sure everyone in here goes through life situations,” DeRozan said following practice in New York. “You live on this earth, you’re going to have some type of issue that occurs that’s close to you. It’s just a matter of how you handle it, how you go about it. I go about mine like a man, like a professional. I don’t complain. I don’t cry about it. I don’t make excuses. These are things you just got to handle.”

Asked how his father is, DeRozan doesn’t mix words. “He’s still here. That’s all that matters,” DeRozan said.

Twice this season, DeRozan has left the Raptors to fly home to be with his ailing father. That DeRozan is in the midst of one of the best stretches of basketball of his successful career with that going on speaks to his ability to separate one from the other.

“I just go out and play,” DeRozan siad. “I don’t think about the run (he’s on), I don’t think about nothing. I just love playing basketball. When you get in that zone and you are just going out there playing ball you are able to zone out and be in a different space than you are throughout the rest of the day doing anything else. Basketball is always that realm for me where I can just get in that mindset of feeling free.”

For DeRozan this is just one more thing life has thrown at him that he has to learn to cope with.

“I grew up in Compton, California, man,” DeRozan said. “Every day was a challenge for me. That’s all I’ve known my whole life. It’s not a surprise for me. It’s not something that’s going to hold me down. I fight through adversity anywhere it comes in my life. It’s nothing new to me.”

As for his dad, DeRozan sums up that relationship simply.

“He is everything,” DeRozan said. “My dad put the basketball in my hands. My dad took me to the park. My dad pushed me. My dad was my dad. My dad was the reason I wanted to play sports, just like every other kid that looked up to their dad. That’s what he is to me to this day, and what he is to me forever.”

As impressed as head coach Dwane Casey is with the way his all-star guard is handling his situation, he too looks at the basketball court as a kind of escape for DeRozan at times like these.

“This is his refuge here and he should use this as a refuge to get away from his issues and problems for those two hours,” Casey said. “But if he has to get away and go home for his family he knows he has the organization’s support to do that,” Casey said.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4121 on: January 9, 2018, 11:56:57 pm »

In the top 10 points per game, his form in recent weeks has been outrageous.

Much more efficient than he has been in previous years, he's played some very good defence in important moments too.

I never knew that, hopefully his dad can get better.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 11:58:31 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: January 10, 2018, 09:57:15 am »
well said coach!

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr calls Lavar Ball 'the Kardashian of the NBA'

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Golden State coach Steve Kerr called LaVar Ball "the Kardashian of the NBA" on Monday night, and said he thinks the father of Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball has zero credibility.

Disgusted, Kerr made his remarks before the Warriors' game against Denver. He was asked about LaVar Ball after the demonstrative dad told ESPN that the Lakers no longer want to play for coach Luke Walton, a dear Kerr friend and former top assistant with the Warriors.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, president of the National Basketball Coaches Association, has called the ESPN article "a disgrace" and LaVar Ball's comments an "ignorant distraction."

"Somewhere, I guess in Lithuania, LaVar Ball is laughing at all of us. People are eating out of his hands for no apparent reason, other than he's become like the Kardashian of the NBA or something," Kerr said. "And that sells, and that's what's true in politics and entertainment and now in sports. It doesn't matter if there's any substance involved with an issue, it's just can we make it really interesting for no apparent reason? There is nothing interesting about that story."

Kerr is in regular touch with Walton and hates to see him in this position. Ball claimed Walton "has no control" of the team and is too young for his job.

"I feel horrible for Luke, that's my guy, he's one of my best friends," Kerr said. "He shouldn't have to deal with this. But to me one of the things about the NBA is it's always been a haven from the parents. The guys who coach high school are the ones who really have to deal with the parents. I've never had to talk to a parent who was upset about playing time.

"I'm sure there are plenty out there but they don't have a voice in the NBA. But for whatever reason we're giving this guy a voice and Luke's got to deal with it, and it's a shame. He's handling it great. He's doing all he can. It's just part of his gig, unfortunately."

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4123 on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:56 am »
Such a big difference between when Lonzo plays and when he was injured. Even though he can't shoot, the way he sets tempo for the team and the defense he plays, is advanced for his age.

'Twill be interesting to see how he plays against San Antonio on Thursday.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: January 10, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »
Much more efficient than he has been in previous years, he's played some very good defence in important moments too.

And his playmaking has improved too. If he can lead the Raptors to the conf finals then he's probably a top 10 player in the league in my book. It'll be difficult though, because the Raps are 4/5 games back from the Celtics, and the Cavs are solidly 3rd in the standings, meaning the Raptors will play the LeBrons in the ECSF.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4125 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:17 pm »
Good performance from the Clippers just finished watching it. I know Curry and Thompson were both out but still, impressive to go to the Warriors and win. Congrats to KD reaching 20,000 points, 2nd youngest ever behind LeBron, what a beast of a player.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:30:52 pm by Broad Spectrum »

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #4126 on: January 11, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
Knicks trivia question, if the guy you are guarding is standing at the 3pt line but does not have the ball, are you allowed to guard him? Bonus, can you guard him if he has the ball?

Man those 3 loses against Bulls have killed me of, last night was perfect example why we can’t finish teams off. Why can’t we finish teams? When’s Tim Hardway Jr coming back?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:11 pm »
Short term....Ainge deserves to be sainted for decision to trade down. That the Lakers took a Kardashian with the 2nd...Hahahahahaha.  At 3 Tatum is a borderline great player at this level already
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:37 am »
Short term....Ainge deserves to be sainted for decision to trade down. That the Lakers took a Kardashian with the 2nd...Hahahahahaha. At 3 Tatum is a borderline great player at this level already
Watch him play...don't let his father dictate what you think of his personality. Lonzo is beyond low key as a personality and crazy unselfish as a player.

He was great tonight and his impact on this team when he is healthy, is drastic.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4129 on: January 12, 2018, 11:01:44 am »
Raps absolutely destroyed the Cavs and Lowry and Ibaka didn't even play! The whole squad played well.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: January 13, 2018, 02:34:42 am »
what a come back win in indy!! 22 points down in the first half and an awful first quarter to come back and beat the cavs for the third game in a row.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4131 on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
Alarming for Cavs, they now lost 3 in a row and they are 3-8 in their last 11, pathetic run. They will still get a winning streak soon but i think this does give Raptors and Celtics a lot to be hopeful about.

Cavs really has a good player in Cedi, he should get much more minutes imo. Also Jae Crowder has been terrible for them, didn't see it coming.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:50:48 am by elsewhere »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4132 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:34 am »
If true, this will be a bad decision on Magic imo. This is like siding with Lavar Ball instead of Walton. Maybe Lakers want this only because they want Lebron though.

Lakers Could Have Interest In David Fizdale

During an interview on the Rich Eisen Show, Brian Windhorst spoke about the current state of Luke Walton with the Lakers.

The Lakers' front office did not voice their support for Walton following the comments by LaVar Ball.

"Whatever you want to say about LaVar Ball, he is most doubt the fact that the Lakers do not support Luke Walton and that is now crystal clear," said Brian Windhorst. "It has been revealed here that they do not have unconditional support for Luke."

The Lakers could have interest in David Fizdale, according to sources that spoke with Windhorst.

"Which coach has LeBron (James) Tweeted about most recently? Los Angeles native David Fizdale."

Fizdale was an assistant coach throughout James' tenure with the Heat.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4133 on: January 13, 2018, 11:05:30 am »
Good performance from the Clippers just finished watching it. I know Curry and Thompson were both out but still, impressive to go to the Warriors and win. Congrats to KD reaching 20,000 points, 2nd youngest ever behind LeBron, what a beast of a player.

I still shake my head how Portland Chose Greg Oden over him for the #1 draft pick.

They did the same with Jordan as well didn't they?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4134 on: January 13, 2018, 11:32:10 am »
I still shake my head how Portland Chose Greg Oden over him for the #1 draft pick.

They did the same with Jordan as well didn't they?

Yes, they did but to be fair Oden was one of the best prospects ever in Ohio State. There were arguments he could be the best center in history, he was a monster. Also at that time, potential traditional franchise centers were always regarded priority in drafts. So he was the safe and logical pick at that time.

Such a tragic sad story unfortunately.

Offline b_joseph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4135 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
If true, this will be a bad decision on Magic imo. This is like siding with Lavar Ball instead of Walton. Maybe Lakers want this only because they want Lebron though.

Lakers pretty much shot this down...4 straight wins to go with it!! We'll never lose again!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4136 on: January 14, 2018, 12:20:48 am »
Alarming for Cavs, they now lost 3 in a row and they are 3-8 in their last 11, pathetic run. They will still get a winning streak soon but i think this does give Raptors and Celtics a lot to be hopeful about.

Cavs really has a good player in Cedi, he should get much more minutes imo. Also Jae Crowder has been terrible for them, didn't see it coming.

Thought it was a strange trade at the time, he’s good on defence but he’s a bang average scorer and shouldn’t be getting the minutes he is at a team like the Cavs. Think once IT is up and running though it would take something seriously special from Boston or Raps to beat them in the play offs.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4137 on: January 14, 2018, 01:36:11 am »
That was as good a half of basketball I've seen any team play against the Raps all season. When the Warriors come to play they're simply unbeatable.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4138 on: January 14, 2018, 01:57:04 am »
That was as good a half of basketball I've seen any team play against the Raps all season. When the Warriors come to play they're simply unbeatable.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them go through the play-offs unbeaten. If they stay healthy and don't coast or get complacent then they could sweep the play-offs. They are an elite Basketball team, it is sometimes too easy for them.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4139 on: January 14, 2018, 02:00:45 am »
It wouldn't surprise me to see them go through the play-offs unbeaten. If they stay healthy and don't coast or get complacent then they could sweep the play-offs. They are an elite Basketball team, it is sometimes too easy for them.

They're the best team in the NBA by a significant margin in my opinion, seen nothing all season to make me think otherwise. I think they'll lose a game or 2 in the play-offs but I think injuries are the only thing that can stop them winning it all.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4140 on: January 14, 2018, 03:00:07 am »

Toronto have gotten it back down to 3 with 8 seconds to go left in the game!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4141 on: January 14, 2018, 03:00:33 am »
What a game that was. Raps fought unbelievably hard to get it back to a 1 point game with less than a minute remaining but had a couple of ugly offensive possessions. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: January 15, 2018, 12:00:13 am »
Monster game from AD today. Guy is insanely skilled.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: January 15, 2018, 12:08:41 am »
Our NBA superstar shareholder was happy with the game today.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4144 on: January 15, 2018, 12:19:41 am »
AD is outrageous, top 10 in ppg, rebounds and blocks. Knicks threw that away though, were leading for such a long time.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #4145 on: January 16, 2018, 05:54:04 pm »
He cant stay at the Pelicans for much longer though. He's wasted on that roster
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: January 17, 2018, 01:56:25 pm »
45 points and 16 rebounds for AD last night.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4147 on: January 17, 2018, 02:05:05 pm »
45 points and 16 rebounds for AD last night.

That was the worse 4th quarter I’ve seen from the Celtics all year(haven’t watched all their games but most).

Is there any truth to the AD to Celtics trade rumors?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4148 on: January 17, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »
That was the worse 4th quarter I’ve seen from the Celtics all year(haven’t watched all their games but most).

Is there any truth to the AD to Celtics trade rumors?

I hope not  :)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4149 on: January 17, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »
I hope not  :)

Would surely make the Celtics the favorites to get to the finals in the East if it does happen. 

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4150 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »
Been thinking for a while he’s exactly what we need. Boston played with Al Horford at 5 for most of last year, got Baynes this year who’s made a bit of a difference but don’t know why they didn’t look at Cousins last year when Sacramento traded him. With someone like AD though, and with LeBron potentially leaving, Boston would steamroll their way to the finals!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »
Been thinking for a while he’s exactly what we need. Boston played with Al Horford at 5 for most of last year, got Baynes this year who’s made a bit of a difference but don’t know why they didn’t look at Cousins last year when Sacramento traded him. With someone like AD though, and with LeBron potentially leaving, Boston would steamroll their way to the finals!
Exactly what I said here. Not only Celtics, I was surprised there wasn't more teams interested in the league.
Looks like Mavs and Lakers (If they cant get PG) will offer him the max this summer.

Meanwhile that Buddy Hield for Cousins trade looking more and more pathetic. He was supposed to be new Steph 8)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4152 on: January 17, 2018, 04:59:58 pm »
Trevor Ariza Emerges As Instigator Into Clippers' Locker Room

Rajon Rondo: What Has Isaiah Thomas Done

Robin Lopez, Justin Holiday Could Be Dealt By Bulls

Bulls Remaining Patient On Nikola Mirotic Trade Talks

CP3, Ariza, Harden Enter Clippers' Locker Room Seeking Confrontation

Kings To Sit At Least Two Veterans Per Game To Develop Younger Players

Chris Paul Praises Lou Williams With Perceived Shade Towards Blake Griffin

Mike D'Antoni Claims Blake Griffin Made Intentional Contact With Him

Several Cavs Unhappy, Concerned About State Of Team

Exec: Number Of Big Men In NBA Could Be Cut In Half By 2020

Cavs' Front Office Not Communicating With Players As Much As Under David Griffin

Cavaliers Prefer To Hold Onto Brooklyn Pick Heading To Deadline

Rockets Release Briante Weber, Sign Markel Brown To Two-Way

Wolves Sign Amile Jefferson To Two-Way Contract

Goran Dragic, Lou Williams Named Players Of The Week

Knicks Attempted To Schedule Last Minute Workout With Dennis Smith Jr.

Teams Reluctant To Take On Salary In Trade Market

Magic Expected To Shop Evan Fournier, Elfrid Payton, Mario Hezonja

Kevin Durant Has Increased Interest In Owning NBA Team

Thabo Sefolosha To Undergo Season-Ending Knee Surgery

Trey Burke Agrees To Deal With Knicks For Remainder Of Season

Knicks To Waive Ramon Sessions

Kobe Bryant To Host Basketball Analysis Show On ESPN

Cavaliers Willing To Trade Tristan Thompson

Rodney Hood Fined $35,000 For Phone Slap

Kevin Durant Doesn't Want To Be ASG Captain

Gregg Popovich Reveals LaMarcus Aldridge Requested Trade In Offseason

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4153 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:31 pm »
Yeah it was a strange decision to show an IT tribute video on the night the franchise is retiring the #34 jersey. Pierce has basically said the only reason they agreed to show it then in the first place was because they felt guilty for trading him in the summer. I love IT, he gave his all and had he been offered his max contract he’d still be here. But business is business and there’s no doubt Kyrie is a better and more long term fit.

Also that Rodney Hood slap was quite funny, why someone feels the need to video a player who’s just been ejected from the game I’ve no idea!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4154 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:08 pm »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: January 18, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
Miami Heat doing great despite having injury problems whole season. I think Spoelstra is one of the underrated coaches in the league. He did well even before Lebron and Bosh joined the Heat imo. I think they were the team who ended Celtics' 14 game winning streak this season also. They can give trouble to Cavs, Celtics and Raptors and take the series to 6-7 games imo.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4156 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:34 pm »
Miami Heat doing great despite having injury problems whole season. I think Spoelstra is one of the underrated coaches in the league. He did well even before Lebron and Bosh joined the Heat imo. I think they were the team who ended Celtics' 14 game winning streak this season also. They can give trouble to Cavs, Celtics and Raptors and take the series to 6-7 games imo.

Mentioned them a couple of times in here in recent weeks. I don't know if Spoelstra is underrated though, surely everybody knows he's brilliant by now?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4157 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:02 pm »
Meanwhile Knicks slowly out of play off picture, lost 11 of last 15.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:33 am »
All Star Starters

East: Lebron, Giannis, Embiid, Kyrie, DeRozan

West: Curry, Harden, Davis, Cousins, Durant

Not sure about Davis and Cousins both being named a starter, happy for Embiid.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4159 on: January 19, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »
Man the Celtics were really bad last night up until the 4th quarter when they made a good run and hit a few shots.  No Kyrie as he had the flu and their offense just couldn’t get going.