Author Topic: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion (*)  (Read 177174 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion
« Reply #840 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:49 pm »
Would you have played Sun City?

That’s a good point. I don’t support artistic boycotts as a rule but I can see the temptation to boycott countries where there is no freedom of expression and where human rights abuses are systematic. But ultimately I think it would be bad thing to cut off all cultural contact with China, Russia, Iran, Saudi, Venezuela, even Syria.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2018, 10:30:33 pm »
I don't know, I think so. I'd hope to speak to the young people, the future. I'd hope to tell them, or let them know, that they matter and the fucking arl c*nts in power can be turned over very easily, if you want it enough.

Maybe I'm a dreamer. 

I suppose then you'd need to ask yourself whether the young in Israel or apartheid South Africa actually want equal rights and self determination for the Palestinians/black South Africans but are being denied it by the older generation.

Is/was that the case in Israel/apartheid South Africa? I don't actually know what the breakdown is of Israeli youngsters who strongly believe that Palestinians should get the basic human right of self determination. If that's what most of them think, then you've got the right attitude and it would be a good thing for you, as an artist, to support them rather than punish them.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #842 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:28 pm »
Is there not an argument that minorities in Israel have far more rights than in any other state in the region.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »
Is there not an argument that minorities in Israel have far more rights than in any other state in the region.....

Pretty sure Roger Waters and Lorde aren't playing Raqqa, Tikrit, Tehran or Jeddah either mate. Let's not deflect from the terrible treatment of the Palestinian people by Israel though and stay on subject.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:11 pm »
Pretty sure Roger Waters and Lorde aren't playing Raqqa, Tikrit, Tehran or Jeddah either mate. Let's not deflect from the terrible treatment of the Palestinian people by Israel though and stay on subject.
Yes then.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:11 pm »
Pretty sure Roger Waters and Lorde aren't playing Raqqa, Tikrit, Tehran or Jeddah either mate.

That’s right. Those countries have banned him. They are tyrannies. They are boycotters. They fear cultural pollution.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:27 pm »
If we aren’t going to compare won those countries, why is it ok to compare with South Africa...?

Whilst the Israeli government are a bunch of bastards, the situation is in no way the same as in South Africa..
W

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:54 pm »
Yes then.....

There aren't any minorities in Iran being treated worse than the Palestinian people are by the Israelis. I don't know enough about the other countries. Not that any of this is relevant to the question posed by Antoine.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #848 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:18 pm »

I don't know, can you provide evidence?
And in short, I was afraid

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:09 pm »
I don't know, can you provide evidence?
I posited a question for the purpose of discussion...
W

• Anny Roader
« Reply #850 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:18 pm »
That’s right. Those countries have banned him. They are tyrannies. They are boycotters. They fear cultural pollution.

So does Israel, no?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:38 pm »
If we aren’t going to compare won those countries, why is it ok to compare with South Africa...?

Whilst the Israeli government are a bunch of bastards, the situation is in no way the same as in South Africa..

Because of the boycott of musicians against South Africa ("I'll never play Sun City"). It's the most famous boycott of musicians against a country. It's entirely relevant.

Please do bring up any other high profile examples of Western musicians boycotting a country for political reasons though. That's just the one that sprang to mind.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #852 on: January 11, 2018, 10:45:21 pm »
I posited a question for the purpose of discussion...

Then I ask again, can you provide evidence?

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: January 11, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »

"Supporters of Israel hate it when people use the word 'apartheid' to describe the country, but we don’t have another term for a political system in which one ethnic group rules over another, confining it to small islands of territory and denying it full political representation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/opinion/liberal-zionism-jerusalem.html
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:11 pm »
Then I ask again, can you provide evidence?
I don’t know, I was asking you guys..
W

• Anny Roader
« Reply #855 on: January 11, 2018, 10:51:58 pm »
There is a particular lopsided interest in the western world with Israel than anywhere else I feel, but I think that's just down to our western point of view and the role we played during WWll.

But an interest in the desire for justice and humanity doesn't have borders or "interests", oppression is oppression. Right is right and wrong is wrong. But starving young people of culture and music and ideas - I don't think that's the way to go. I don't know?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2018, 10:53:38 pm »
There aren't any minorities in Iran being treated worse than the Palestinian people are by the Israelis. I don't know enough about the other countries. Not that any of this is relevant to the question posed by Antoine.

What about the Arabs on Khuzestan? Hounded off their land in the 1980s in one of the great oil grabs of the 20th century. Thousands executed by the state, their organisations made illegal. The Arab population of Israel have far more political and civil rights than the Arab populations of most Arab countries, and certainly have more rights than the Arab population of Iran.

We in the West should be supporting the Israeli opposition against Netanyahu, and making links with anyone - Israeli or Palestinian - who supports a Two-State solution and a return to 1967 borders. 

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2018, 10:54:14 pm »

• Anny Roader
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2018, 10:56:17 pm »
No.

Fearing cultural pollution I mean?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: January 11, 2018, 10:57:03 pm »
What about the Arabs on Khuzestan? Hounded off their land in the 1980s in one of the great oil grabs of the 20th century. Thousands executed by the state, their organisations made illegal. The Arab population of Israel have far more political and civil rights than the Arab populations of most Arab countries, and certainly have more rights than the Arab population of Iran.

Yeah I suppose technically the Palestinians aren't "the Arab population of Israel" so their horrific mistreatment doesn't come under Tepid's question about "minorities in Israel".

We in the West should be supporting the Israeli opposition against Netanyahu, and making links with anyone - Israeli or Palestinian - who supports a Two-State solution and a return to 1967 borders. 

First sensible thing I've ever heard you say on the topic  :thumbup

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: January 11, 2018, 11:06:51 pm »
Yeah I suppose technically the Palestinians aren't "the Arab population of Israel" so their horrific mistreatment doesn't come under Tepid's question about "minorities in Israel".

First sensible thing I've ever heard you say on the topic  :thumbup

Good, we agree. Making links obviously means opposing a boycott.

PS I’ve been saying it for years.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:04 pm »
Fearing cultural pollution I mean?

I’m not certain what you mean. But it’s obvious to even a casual observer that Israel does not fear cultural pollution. It’s artists, musicians, writers, curators are in contact with the world and Israel is culturally open to the world. I know this personally because my own stuff has been performed in Israel - by dedicated people of both Jewish and Palestinian descent. Tel Aviv, especially, is famous for its liberalism and progressive ideas. It’s a global city. One can only hope that one day Tehran and Riyadh will become like Tel Aviv. Hospitable to minorities, gays, women and foreigners.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:16 pm »
Good, we agree. Making links obviously means opposing a boycott.

Absolutely - every one who goes to the concert should sign a legally binding document saying they support a Two-State solution and a return to the 1967 borders. They absolutely deserve to see the best music the West has to offer and links to be made. Anyone who refuses to sign can jog on.

PS I’ve been saying it for years.

Must have missed them amongst the thousands of posts you've made deflecting away any accusations of Israeli oppression  :-*

• Anny Roader
« Reply #863 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:14 pm »
I’m not certain what you mean. But it’s obvious to even a casual observer that Israel does not fear cultural pollution. It’s artists, musicians, writers, curators are in contact with the world and Israel is culturally open to the world. I know this personally because my own stuff has been performed in Israel - by dedicated people of both Jewish and Palestinian descent. Tel Aviv, especially, is famous for its liberalism and progressive ideas. It’s a global city. One can only hope that one day Tehran and Riyadh will become like Tel Aviv. Hospitable to minorities, gays, women and foreigners.

Well, I think you must know what I mean. The entire nation of Israel is based upon ancient man made biblical age nonsense. The call to "return home" has been on-going since 1947 (please correct date if wrong) in real world terms (longer in fairy tales). Having great Israeli artists and an openness for arts does not make it "open". And I know you know that.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #864 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:06 am »
Well, I think you must know what I mean. The entire nation of Israel is based upon ancient man made biblical age nonsense. The call to "return home" has been on-going since 1947 (please correct date if wrong) in real world terms (longer in fairy tales). Having great Israeli artists and an openness for arts does not make it "open". And I know you know that.

End of the 19th century actually.
About the biblical age nonsense, I certainly agree but surely that can be said about the Palestinians as well? Albeit a bit after the biblical age. Both sides claim the land is historically theirs. Personally though I don't give a crap about the "historical right to the holy land" (similarly to early Zionism).

As a young Israeli I think the situation is a bit fucked to say the least but from my point of view and almost everyone I know my age (definitely most people in Tel Aviv regardless of age) don't support the current government and their policies. We all support a two state solution and the right to self determination for Palestinians but unfortunately it's not as simple as just forming a Palestinian state and giving them everything they want. Every young child gets told by their mother that by the time they're 18 they won't need to join the army because there will be peace, which is a bit tragic when you think about it, but it shows there's hope I guess.

I certainly don't think a cultural boycott helps as I think the government does not give a shit whether someone performs here or not, the only people affected by it are the people above who actually do care about the Palestinians.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #865 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:33 am »
End of the 19th century actually.
About the biblical age nonsense, I certainly agree but surely that can be said about the Palestinians as well? Albeit a bit after the biblical age. Both sides claim the land is historically theirs. Personally though I don't give a crap about the "historical right to the holy land" (similarly to early Zionism).

As a young Israeli I think the situation is a bit fucked to say the least but from my point of view and almost everyone I know my age (definitely most people in Tel Aviv regardless of age) don't support the current government and their policies. We all support a two state solution and the right to self determination for Palestinians but unfortunately it's not as simple as just forming a Palestinian state and giving them everything they want. Every young child gets told by their mother that by the time they're 18 they won't need to join the army because there will be peace, which is a bit tragic when you think about it, but it shows there's hope I guess.

I certainly don't think a cultural boycott helps as I think the government does not give a shit whether someone performs here or not, the only people affected by it are the people above who actually do care about the Palestinians.

Well said mate. You are the future and its heartening to here you speak so well.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
Yeah great post RedGuy - I hope the young people you know are a reflection of Israeli young people as a whole!

Do people out there tend to drift more to the right the older they get, as they do here? I wonder if it's a case of the young people in Israel being more idealist, but as they age they change their views?

Re: this bit, I think boycotts in general aren't meant to directly affect governments. The countries that impose sanctions on Iran or North Korea, for example, know that the people in government won't be affected, it's the masses who'll suffer. The aim being to cause discontent from within to force change upon the government, so indirectly getting to them. I'd imagine that's the reasoning behind artistic boycotting of Israel - I'm sure Lorde and Roger Waters know Netanyahu isn't going to lose any sleep over not seeing them live. Well maybe he's a huge fan, who knows :)

• Anny Roader
« Reply #867 on: January 14, 2018, 02:26:19 pm »
It has crossed my mind over the years as to why ISIS haven't committed any attacks (that I'm aware of) in Israel and certainly not of the scale we have seen elsewhere.

I the link below is an interesting, albeit brief, insight into the thinking behind ISIS that also mentions Saudi Arabia, which again, as far as I'm aware, has not suffered any ISIS associated attacks?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/islamic-state-explains-why-it-doesnt-attack-israel-yet/

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: January 15, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »
Aside from the ridiculous moral equivalency between Israel and Apartheid South Africa (and come to mention it, between Israel and the many countries that Roger Waters and his ilk are more than happy to perform in), the big problem that everyone should have with the boycott campaign is that is simply doesn't work to bring peace any closer.

One of the major obstacles to reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians is that both have a deeply entrenched victim/perpetrator narrative. A Palestinian who has lived under an often brutal occupation for the last 50 years is naturally going to see themselves as a victim, and therefore by definition they see the Israelis as perpetrators. Similarly, an Israeli who faces a constant threat of terrorism and has a collective trauma of several existential wars is also going to see themselves as victims, and the Palestinians as perpetrators. In this black and white or zero-sum game, it is of course understandable that neither side would want to sit down, listen to or indeed compromise with the other.

There are many liberal, left-leaning Israelis who truly believe in the need for a future negotiated settlement between Israel and Palestine. They are crying out to be heard and their message to the Palestinians is as follows: "I know that you are a victim. I know that you have suffered immeasurably. I know that i am a perpetrator. Can't you just see a little bit that i am a victim also?". The numerous boycott and divestment movements essentially tell the Israelis/Jews that no, we are not victims at all, that not just are we perpetrators but we are the worst in the world (or why else would they boycott only Israel). If that is not bad enough, the final nail in the coffin is being told that - as the language of the boycotters so often expresses - not only are we the world's worst oppressors, not only are we not victims at all, but even our historical victim-hood, the Holocaust, has been taken away from us as we are now the new Nazis.

It is against this backdrop (amongst many other reasons) that people in Israel are losing trust in the possibility of a peace process and are continuing to vote for a right-wing government.

Israel, unlike North Korea or Iran, is not a brutal dictatorship. We have free press and free elections. Israelis are by and large wonderful people. We are fed up of burying our dead. Come to Israel; engage with us, talk to us, understand us and help us understand you.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #869 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:25 pm »
It has crossed my mind over the years as to why ISIS haven't committed any attacks (that I'm aware of) in Israel and certainly not of the scale we have seen elsewhere.

I the link below is an interesting, albeit brief, insight into the thinking behind ISIS that also mentions Saudi Arabia, which again, as far as I'm aware, has not suffered any ISIS associated attacks?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/islamic-state-explains-why-it-doesnt-attack-israel-yet/

Seems like a red herring by the article & ISIS, given ISIS was  originally a construct of the Wahhabist state of Saudi and their Sunni allies, formed to be a proxy militia to oppose the growth in Shia influence/control in the region.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #870 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:34 pm »
Aside from the ridiculous moral equivalency between Israel and Apartheid South Africa (and come to mention it, between Israel and the many countries that Roger Waters and his ilk are more than happy to perform in), the big problem that everyone should have with the boycott campaign is that is simply doesn't work to bring peace any closer.

One of the major obstacles to reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians is that both have a deeply entrenched victim/perpetrator narrative. A Palestinian who has lived under an often brutal occupation for the last 50 years is naturally going to see themselves as a victim, and therefore by definition they see the Israelis as perpetrators. Similarly, an Israeli who faces a constant threat of terrorism and has a collective trauma of several existential wars is also going to see themselves as victims, and the Palestinians as perpetrators. In this black and white or zero-sum game, it is of course understandable that neither side would want to sit down, listen to or indeed compromise with the other.

There are many liberal, left-leaning Israelis who truly believe in the need for a future negotiated settlement between Israel and Palestine. They are crying out to be heard and their message to the Palestinians is as follows: "I know that you are a victim. I know that you have suffered immeasurably. I know that i am a perpetrator. Can't you just see a little bit that i am a victim also?". The numerous boycott and divestment movements essentially tell the Israelis/Jews that no, we are not victims at all, that not just are we perpetrators but we are the worst in the world (or why else would they boycott only Israel). If that is not bad enough, the final nail in the coffin is being told that - as the language of the boycotters so often expresses - not only are we the world's worst oppressors, not only are we not victims at all, but even our historical victim-hood, the Holocaust, has been taken away from us as we are now the new Nazis.

It is against this backdrop (amongst many other reasons) that people in Israel are losing trust in the possibility of a peace process and are continuing to vote for a right-wing government.

Israel, unlike North Korea or Iran, is not a brutal dictatorship. We have free press and free elections. Israelis are by and large wonderful people. We are fed up of burying our dead. Come to Israel; engage with us, talk to us, understand us and help us understand you.

That's a fair post, Jeb and ultimately, I think yes, these boycotts aren't really achieving much, if anything. If it was because something like the tickets or shows where only for Israeli Jews then I'd understand. But as someone else has said before, the government couldn't care less and the people don't feel the boycott enough to make a concerted effort to reform government policies.

But the bit I have highlighted, if you forgive me, is the problem. It's incredible in fact. That you've included that sentence while being of the mind-set that you're being open, honest and progressive, speaks volumes about the duplicitous nature of Israeli's, Israeli ideology, Israeli attitude and Israeli activity.

That bit in bold is really quite something to behold.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #871 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »
Deleted after having second thoughts about appropriateness
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:37:53 pm by Bear One nnnn, Danone! »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:34 pm »
That's a fair post, Jeb and ultimately, I think yes, these boycotts aren't really achieving much, if anything. If it was because something like the tickets or shows where only for Israeli Jews then I'd understand. But as someone else has said before, the government couldn't care less and the people don't feel the boycott enough to make a concerted effort to reform government policies.

But the bit I have highlighted, if you forgive me, is the problem. It's incredible in fact. That you've included that sentence while being of the mind-set that you're being open, honest and progressive, speaks volumes about the duplicitous nature of Israeli's, Israeli ideology, Israeli attitude and Israeli activity.

That bit in bold is really quite something to behold.

And therein lies one of the problems. There is no apartheid in Israel and Arabs/Christians/Muslims/other minorities are free to go to any concert/restaurant/movie/sports event/serve as supreme court justices/become members of parliament etc etc.

As for your bit in bold, i genuinely have missed your point. Please elaborate.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #873 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:11 am »
If anyone watched Ep 2 of House of Saud on BBC2 last night, then they will know who the real enemy is. I was gobsmacked by that show. I had no real opinion on the matter until then. Now I am anti Saudi Arabian. Holy fucking shit, it was like a Hollywood movie but reality overshadows fantasy by orders of magnitude that even a wildguess would be an under estimation.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: January 27, 2018, 12:25:21 pm »
Israel's plan to force out African migrants

Seen this story floating round a few news agencies over recent weeks. I don’t think any country in the World wants illegal migrants, but this seems particularly archaic way to resolve the issue, especially for a developed country like Israel.

It’s good to see they have the support of hololcaust survivors though, who on Holcaust Memorial Day have expressed concern over the governments handling of the situation:

“We, who know precisely what it’s like to be refugees … homeless and bereft of a state that preserves and protects us from violence and suffering, cannot comprehend how a Jewish government can expel refugees and asylum seekers to a journey of suffering, torment and death,” the 36 signatories wrote in a letter in Haaretz on Friday.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:11 pm »
The Fight Against the Expulsion of African Refugees Is a Pivotal Moment in Israel's History

Whether or not the deportation of African asylum seekers happens, Israel is facing nothing less than a test case that will shape its future.

It’s impossible not to shocked by the malice and racism behind this ethnic cleansing plan – the removal of non-Jewish black people on account of their skin color. The fate of 35,000 people should touch the hearts of every decent Israeli, but the issue is much broader and more important. On the agenda are hidden, far-reaching plans that only the extreme right talks about for now, but which one day could develop into an action plan. The expulsion of the African refugees is a pilot program of great import to the government and its opponents.

If this mini-expulsion succeeds, expect more to come: prepare for a population transfer. If the first operation is successful, it will buoy hopes for additional expulsions. Israel will learn it can do it; that no one will stop it. And when Israel is capable of acting, it does so without holding back. Twice it brutally laid waste to the Gaza Strip, because it could, and it will do so again until somebody stops it.

On the other hand, if the deportation of the asylum seekers fails, this will show that the part of Israel with a conscience has more power and influence than is apparent; that where there’s a will there’s a way. Its test will be to continue to fight, with the same means and determination, against other crimes. It too will draw hope from success.

That’s why the African precedent is so important, why the expulsion plans and the battle to stop them cannot be underestimated. The fight has already proved itself: The commander of the expulsion, Dr. Shlomo Mor-Yosef – the director general of the Interior Ministry’s Population, Immigration and Border Authority– announced he will only deport unmarried men of working age. It’s the first surrender in the face of broad public pressure – broader than anticipated – but it is meaningless. It is no more legitimate to abuse men than it is to abuse women or even old people. Expulsion is expulsion, whether of men or women. Mor-Yosef tried clumsily to sanction a sin, but his very need to hide behind “we’re only deporting men, so we’re all right” is an achievement. It can be assumed that, embarrassed, he will soon resign from his shameful post.

But that is not enough. If the anti-deportation fight persists – including the acts of resistance that are so vital to it – the Netanyahu government will be forced to back down. Without pilots, there can be no expulsion flights and refugees cannot be hunted down in the face of pockets of civil disobedience.

If this expulsion plan is foiled, the left will learn that the only way to prevail is through sacrifice and disobedience; rallies are ineffective. The anti-deportation camp will come to realize it can prevent crimes, but only if it is prepared to dig in and sacrifice; that not everything is ordained by the heavens or the right. And the government will learn it is not omnipotent, and that it has an active opponent with a conscience. It is worth recalling that a different ethnic cleansing operation – in the Jordan Valley and the south Hebron Hills – has not faced significant civil resistance.

The next expulsion attempt could be that of Arab lawmakers from the Knesset. Everyone will deny it, but the undercurrents are there. It could happen overnight, with various and sundry pretexts employed to make them illegal. After all, who wouldn’t want that? The masses would be in favor, for sure, and the government too. Who would object? All that’s needed is the right opportunity. The danger is closer than it appears. Who would believe that just 40 years ago, Israel proudly took in dozens of so-called boat people, refugees from Vietnam.

Afterward, at some point, the real plan will be raised: To expel the Palestinians from the territories, or at least from part of them. Under the cover of a war or an uprising, with a great many security excuses. It could happen. It sounds like fiction now, but the successful expulsion of the African refugees will lend support to the idea that expulsion is a feasible option. Sounds crazy? Sure. A few years ago it was crazy to think that this country of refugees would forcibly load handcuffed refugees onto planes and send them to their fate in miserable places, as it plans to do in the near future.

That is why it is so important to fight now.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-fight-against-expulsion-of-refugees-is-a-pivotal-moment-for-israel-1.5767982
---Rilke

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2018, 07:15:11 pm »
The Israeli government is hideous.

BN is an awful person of extremely dubious morality.
W

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: January 29, 2018, 07:24:23 pm »
The Fight Against the Expulsion of African Refugees Is a Pivotal Moment in Israel's History

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-fight-against-expulsion-of-refugees-is-a-pivotal-moment-for-israel-1.5767982

The expulsion is a disgrace, but this article is an absolute joke. It's pure fiction. No surprise t comes from Haaretz.

I prefer to share this, from a friend:

FB friends who care about Israel -- please consider and share.

On February 1, 2018, the State of Israel will cease issuing temporary visas to asylum seekers from Eritrea & Sudan, countries with abysmal human rights records, and will compel them to either accept deportation or imprisonment. This policy is being implemented without due consideration of individuals' applications for asylum, even though the vast majority have fled political tyranny and have not come for economic advancement. To give some perspective: In Canada, 97% of asylum seekers from Eritrea are granted refugee status after their applications are duly considered, whereas in Israel significantly less than 1% of asylum seekers from Eritrea have been granted legal refugee status. Most applications are simply not processed five or even ten years later.

Israeli civil society is waking up to this impending travesty. Protests, petitions, support structures, legal appeals, billboards, advertising and so on are sprouting up. Diaspora Jews have an important role to play in this. If you care about Israel and it’s important to you that Israel not expel legitimate asylum seekers, please consider giving (see below).

One of the most difficult things faced by asylum seekers in Israel is abusive but widespread provocations like being called “infiltrators,” “cancer in our body” and “employment-seekers” (instead of asylum-seekers). Beside the money, every donation, even a small one, sends a message that Jews in Israel and around the world want to welcome genuine asylum seekers into Israeli society. This our historical and spiritual legacy. “You are to love the stranger, since you were a stranger (Deut. 10:19).” “If a slave has taken refuge with you, you must not return him to his master. (Deut. 23:15).”

There are numerous reliable organizations, but I know of two in particular that I wholeheartedly trust. In both cases all donations go directly to the organizations.

1. CIMI, the Center for International Migration and Integration (look it up), whose CEO is our dear friend Jean-Marc Liling. CIMI provide a range of support facilities for asylum seekers and migrant workers. To ensure your donation goes to this specific cause fill in the “dedication” form on their donation page and have your notification sent to asylumseekersisrael@gmail.com

https://secured.israelgives.org/donate/makedonation
All money raised will go to assisting asylum seekers under immense legal, political and psychological pressure created by current Israeli policy.

2. HIAS, Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, which was established to help Jewish refugees entering the USA and is now an international organization, with a branch in Israel, working to protect and assist refugees across the world. Donations to the US branch are tax deductible and if you use this link to a “personal page” I created then you can be sure all donations will go to HIAS in Israel to assist in legal and other services urgently needed by asylum seekers in Israel.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: February 6, 2018, 10:37:33 pm »
Loving the hijab protests in Iran. Feminism versus medievalism. There can only be one winner.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: February 7, 2018, 06:36:31 am »
Israel demolishes EU-funded Palestinian classrooms in occupied West Bank

It was the fifth time the school has been demolished since 2016, Palestinian officials said. Residents, with the help of non-government organisations and EU funding, reconstruct it each time

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-palestinians-eu-classrooms-west-bank-school-bedouins-a8194456.html

Such a cruel regime.
---Rilke