Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 633719 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #9400 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:10 pm »
Curious to know what you all make of this:

Cork GAA team’s fans continued to hold flag high, the day after deaths at white-supremacist rally in Virginia

Two Irish groups regularly fly the Confederate flag and one of the flags was seen on television on Sunday at a major sporting event despite the weekend deaths in Charlottesville and the white supremacist supporters widely waving the Confederate flag. It also flew Sunday at Dublin's premier sporting grounds in Croke Park in Dublin.

Supporters of the Cork team, which played Waterford in the All-Ireland hurling semifinal before over 72,000 people in Croke Park, were seen flying the flag during television coverage of Sunday's game. The Cork hurling and football teams are known as “The Rebels” and have long used the confederate battle flag as a symbol. However, there has been major a effort made to ban the flag from GAA grounds because of its racist connections.

However, some fans are still flying it. According to the Irish Mirror newspaper, during Sunday’s game “TV images showed it being flown in the Hill 16 end with hundreds taking to Twitter to vent their disgust." One person said, “the level of ignorance and stupidity is infuriating,” while another person said, “sad to see I’m getting mails from the states asking to explain why Cork fly the confederate flag.”

The full article is here if you want to read it all: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/confederate-flag-flew-proudly-at-a-major-irish-sporting-event

Thoughts?

I don't think they mean any harm whatsoever and you often find GAA fans flying random flags that share their counties colours, Kerry fans waving Brazilian flags etc. but they should fuck it off now. Just doing the county and themselves harm at this stage.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9401 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:13 pm »
Yeah, stop waving that fucking racist flag ya bunch of langers.

Also, that's some belly on the guy in the red O2 jersey above the flag.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #9402 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:51 pm »
We used to fly the hammer and sickle too. Haven't seen one of them in a while.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9403 on: August 16, 2017, 11:13:50 pm »

You could always fly the Chinese flag if you're hankering after a Red communist flag. They're a great bunch of lads.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9404 on: August 16, 2017, 11:42:10 pm »
its embarassing for Cork that one or two morons decide to bring that flag out on match day. no need for it. they can pick any flag with red and white on it to wave. if that lad was anywhere near me id take the flag over him and break it over his head. Clown

I'd agree with Darragh.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9405 on: August 16, 2017, 11:53:58 pm »
its embarassing for Cork that one or two morons decide to bring that flag out on match day. no need for it. they can pick any flag with red and white on it to wave. if that lad was anywhere near me id take the flag over him and break it over his head. Clown

Embarrassing post
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9406 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:28 pm »
I'd agree with Darragh.

You're full of shite then
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9407 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »
For the record, I agree that Cork supporters should cease brandishing that flag

But spare me the "I'd break it over his head if he was standing next to me" bollox

You would in your fuck

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:03:08 am by Billy The Kid »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9408 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:20 am »

The Japanese rising sun flag was also quite common during the 80's and early 90's

Like the hammer and sickle, it gradually disappeared

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9409 on: August 17, 2017, 12:03:00 am »
You're full of shite then

And Darragh is not?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9410 on: August 17, 2017, 12:06:12 am »
And Darragh is not?

You're both talking bollox Sarge.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9411 on: August 17, 2017, 12:07:09 am »
You're both talking bollox Sarge.

Cheers, then dont ask in the future but the flag has to go and I was not agreeing with the hitting part. But my mind could be changed ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9412 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:16 am »
I was not agreeing with the hitting part

Erm, you kind of were agreeing with it

I'd agree with Darragh.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9413 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:03 am »
Erm, you kind of were agreeing with it

OFFS get over it and loose the fucking flag.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9414 on: August 17, 2017, 12:14:50 am »
OFFS get over it and loose the fucking flag.

Maybe you're right. Probably best for my own safety in case I should ever run into you or Darragh ::)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9415 on: August 17, 2017, 12:15:37 am »
Maybe you're right. Probably best for my own safety in case I should ever run into you or Darragh ::)

Or a Waterford hurling team ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9416 on: August 17, 2017, 12:20:46 am »
Good night ye c*nts :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9417 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:44 am »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #9418 on: August 17, 2017, 07:55:26 am »
What wound me up was all these c*nts like the Rubberbandits lad sticking their oar in when they never watched a game of hurling in their lives and probably look down on GAA as a game for simple uneducated country folk.

Loads of comments like "really? They do that!" floating around social media

Let Cork fans morally police themselves,  whatever they decide is on them and on them only.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9419 on: August 17, 2017, 09:47:55 am »
As some of you already know, I detest all forms of social media, particularly Twitter and Facebook. I honestly can't stand the way every fucker has to come wading in with an opinion on every fucking thing they see or read. Even if they have limited understanding or knowledge of the issue at hand, they still have to fucking "comment" and "have their say". Brainless fucking moronic idiots. People love to get offended these days, don't they?

As far as the confederate flag goes, I agree that our supporters should cease brandishing it. I go over and back to America numerous times a year. Some of my closest American fiends are black. I've been in the south so I'm well aware of the history behind the flag. That being said, I think a lot of the people getting their c*nt hairs in a twist are failing to put things in context.

Our supporters have been brandishing that flag since the 70's. Look at any footage of us playing in league, Munster or All Ireland finals during that time and you'll see plenty of confederate flags among our supporters. I don't recall anyone kicking up a fuss about it during the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, or any year during this decade until last Sunday. I don't ever remember a commentator mentioning it. I don't ever remember any Sunday game panelist mentioning it. I don't recall it ever been mentioned on radio, television, or in any of our printed forms of media

Yet all of a sudden, Cork supporters should be "condemned" because of what happened in Virginia? How come no one was condemning us when the KKK were still getting up to some heinous shit in the 70's and 80's and early 90's? How come no one thought to condemn it when Barack Obama was being subjected to racial slurs by the very people he was elected to represent? Why did everyone wait for Charlottesville to happen before deciding to get offended by us waving that flag?

As I say, I agree it should be phased out, but please spare me the crocodile teared high horse bollox. Put things in context FFS.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:49:31 am by Billy The Kid »

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9420 on: August 17, 2017, 10:42:49 am »

As I say, I agree it should be phased out, but please spare me the crocodile teared high horse bollox. Put things in context FFS.

This isn't a new thing though. There's newspaper articles talking about it being problematic since the mid 00's.  It might have been understandable when the main cultural reference for it was in the Dukes of Hazzard in the 1980's.

But certainly since the First Baptist church massacre in Charleston in 2015 it's been absolutely untenable. Ignorance is no defence anymore. 

But I suppose it's a symbol of defeat so might be suitable for this generation of Cork hurling.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9421 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:25 am »
But I suppose it's a symbol of defeat so might be suitable for this generation of Cork hurling.

You can be quite the langer at times Raymond

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9422 on: August 17, 2017, 11:00:55 am »
You can be quite the langer at times Raymond

;D

It's like the spirit of AWWYC overcame me at that moment. 

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9423 on: August 17, 2017, 01:29:59 pm »
;D

It's like the spirit of AWWYC overcame me at that moment. 

I kind of miss him at times. I wonder if he's managing to come to terms with Kilkenny's decline

Then again, he could be BMX'ing around Detroit with his twins for all we know ;D

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #9424 on: August 17, 2017, 07:28:13 pm »
Hahaha

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9425 on: August 19, 2017, 11:42:34 pm »
I'm kind of betwixt and between as to who to shout for tomorrow. Obviously, I'd love Mayo to make another final, as I'm sure most neutrals would. I just don't fancy them to pull it off though. I imagine the thought of Dublin potentially winning the 3 in a row has come up in team meetings down in Kerry recently. I reckon they'll do away with Mayo tomorrow, and stop the 3 in a row. They've the players to do it to be fair like

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #9426 on: August 20, 2017, 02:52:50 pm »
I'm kind of betwixt and between as to who to shout for tomorrow. Obviously, I'd love Mayo to make another final, as I'm sure most neutrals would. I just don't fancy them to pull it off though. I imagine the thought of Dublin potentially winning the 3 in a row has come up in team meetings down in Kerry recently. I reckon they'll do away with Mayo tomorrow, and stop the 3 in a row. They've the players to do it to be fair like

I'm confused Billy (it happens). If you would love Mayo to make another final, why would you be kind of betwixt and between as to who to shout for?
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9427 on: August 20, 2017, 03:29:41 pm »
These Mayo jerseys are weird.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9428 on: August 20, 2017, 04:02:35 pm »
Should be a law against both teams wearing their away kits. it's just wrong.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9429 on: August 20, 2017, 04:44:15 pm »
Mayo to lose by the usual point I reckon.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9430 on: August 20, 2017, 05:15:36 pm »
Fuckin' Bollox
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9431 on: August 20, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Initial thoughts - Kerry were poor on the face of it but that could be due to the way they set up which seemed to be completely focussed on stopping Higgins and Keegan from launching their forays upfield. Still they scored 2-14 which would be enough to win many matches, particularly one played in today's conditions. Which brings us to their full back line. Andy Moran had his best day for years which is probably the best way of summing up the last line of the Kingdom's defence.

Having said all that Mayo have played with an intensity these last two games that I didn't think they were capable of anymore. Great couple of days in store next weekend!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:24:35 pm by goalrushatgoodison »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #9432 on: August 20, 2017, 05:47:38 pm »
Knew this would be a tight one. If Mayo could get 70mins out of Moran they would have won. Two of the oldest players on the pitch ran the show for their attack, Donaghy outstanding again.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9433 on: August 20, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
I'm confused Billy (it happens). If you would love Mayo to make another final, why would you be kind of betwixt and between as to who to shout for?

Because I don't trust them to seal the deal and win the final if they make it

Kerry on the other hand, have a pretty extensive track record of winning All Irelands without playing well

If they win the replay then I'd fancy them to win it outright

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9434 on: August 20, 2017, 07:53:34 pm »
Knew this would be a tight one. If Mayo could get 70mins out of Moran they would have won. Two of the oldest players on the pitch ran the show for their attack, Donaghy outstanding again.

You must be dreading the prospect of a Kerry vs Dublin final?

Your birthplace vs your new found hometown?

You'll be torn down the middle I'd say? ;D

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9435 on: August 20, 2017, 07:58:58 pm »
Because I don't trust them to seal the deal and win the final if they make it

Kerry on the other hand, have a pretty extensive track record of winning All Irelands without playing well

If they win the replay then I'd fancy them to win it outright

So you would be hoping that they would beat Tyrone or Dublin? Ffs, do you not think they have enough?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9436 on: August 20, 2017, 08:02:17 pm »
So you would be hoping that they would beat Tyrone or Dublin? Ffs, do you not think they have enough?

Yes, I'd cheer for them in a final against Dublin or Tyrone

We're not the friendliest of neighbours, but they're still our Munster brethren nonetheless 

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9437 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
Yes, I'd cheer for them in a final against Dublin or Tyrone

We're not the friendliest of neighbours, but they're still our Munster brethren nonetheless

Fair enough.

Offline Klopp Your Hands

• And Stompp yer feet!
  • Kopite
  • If you're a Kopite and you know it Klopp ur hands!
« Reply #9438 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »
Only winners today were Dublin/Tyrone

Both sides could have done without the extra 70 to come, Mayo especially
At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9439 on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:54 pm »
Its ours to lose, we'll beat Tyrone x5 and Kerry in the Final.
Y.N.W.A.