Author Topic: Any Led Zeppelin fans?  (Read 17571 times)

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Re: Any Led Zeppelin fans?
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2005, 10:52:55 pm »
I think StH is a grossly overrated song. Doesn't even register in the top 10 of my personal favs. Obviously music is very subjective, so it might hit the spot for others, but I think its been falsely elevated to some kind of mythical status in the media.

Bollocks.  ;)

hoonin

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2005, 10:56:31 pm »
;D

hoonin

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2005, 11:07:11 pm »
Off to watch The Song Remains The Same dvd :wave

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2005, 11:11:54 pm »
I think StH is a grossly overrated song. Doesn't even register in the top 10 of my personal favs. Obviously music is very subjective, so it might hit the spot for others, but I think its been falsely elevated to some kind of mythical status in the media.

You obviously don't know how to turn off and forget about the shite life brings us each day. I love turning the sound up to the max, putting the ald head phones on and turn out the light's whilst listening to Stairway to Heaven an many others.

I love escapism it keeps me sain [or sainish]  ;)
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2005, 12:11:38 am »
Robert plant is playing the albert hall for the teenage cancer trust. Hes the only 'act' that hasnt sold out yet. I considered it, but fuck it. I have a DVD of him and jimmy page on Jools holland and it just made me sad to see the two a faded memory of what they once were. I'll stick with my Led Zeppelin 'desert' DVD.

Mind you, I did see the stones at twickenham on their licks tour and it was fucking superb.
Still after all these years they were great together. Would love to see what they were like 'back then'.

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2005, 12:29:49 am »
A fantastic band (live and in the studio) although it ended too soon.

Did it end too soon though? Just like The Beatles, Zeppelin are legends, the Stones were legends but now are just like puppets brought out of cryogenic hibernation every two years to make more money.

Back to Zeppelin, i own all their stuff on CD and most again on vinyl, for when i want to feel really old (i'm talking slippers, can of Skol, flat cap moments). Obviously i'm about 15/20 years too young to have seen em live, so the day that the DVD arrived on my doorstep I carefully nicked my hall mates stereo and widescreen telly at uni, gathered my band mates round and spent the rest of the day watching the greatest live band ever in glorious surround sound. My favourite song is Achilles' Last Stand, and the live spectacle it must have been is too painfully lacking in my mind to contemplate. Watching Page wrench every emotional note out of the solo live at Knebwerth Park in 1979 made me once again kick myself at how lucky I would have been to have been born 20 years earlier......

then again, i'd probably be dead now.......

hoonin

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2005, 01:10:56 am »
Stairway To Heaven just started on the DVD, so thought i'd come on here for a break :boring

(This post is just to wind up Motty and Hugh ;D)

hoonin

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2005, 02:31:55 am »
Then as it was, then again it will be
Though the course may change some times
River's always reached the sea

Flyin' the skies of Fortune
Each our separate ways
On the wings of maybe
Downing birds of prey

Kind of makes me feel sometimes
Didn't have to grow
But as the eagle leaves the nest
Got so far to go

Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me
In the midst I think of you, and how it used to be

Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad
Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had
Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good
'Cause it was good the first time, And you knew you would

See your eyes now sparkle, Senses growing keen
Tasted love along the way, See your feathers preen
Kind of makes makes me feel sometimes, Didn't have to grow
We are eagles of one nest, The nest is in our soul

Vixen in my dreams, a great surprise to me
Never thought I'd see your face the way it used to be
Oh darlin', oh darlin'

I'm never gonna leave you. I never gonna leave
Holdin' on, ten years gone
Ten years gone, holdin' on, ten years gone
Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad
Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had
Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good
'Cause it was good the first time, And you knew you would

Ooooooh FUCKING YES!!!!! :D

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2005, 02:56:42 am »
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Amazing, breathtaking, stunning music.

The thing that gets me about Led Zep is, even though they might not be my favourite band of all time, I don't think there has been another band before or since where four (or whatever number) musicians of such fantastic quality clicked together so well.

And of course Stairway is over-rated. It's still fantastic though.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2005, 04:02:14 am »
Love the version of "Stairway" on the BBC Sessions CD. Would have loved to have been in the audience for that particular gig.

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2005, 04:08:00 am »
They certainly have many great ones.  My fav is Kashmir.  It's a good cruisin' song!
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

hoonin

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2005, 04:11:54 am »
Currently listening to Trampled Under Foot, which means Kashmir is next :wave

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2005, 04:29:20 am »

Public Image used to open with Kashmir. But Johnny wouldn't sing ;D Came on for the second song. ::)

Well, gets his own intro then an all eh, sort of the opposite of a late substitution for a player to get an ovation...

:D

87:13

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2005, 04:33:46 pm »
I rarely listen to "Stairway To Heaven", it's too overblown and ridiculous for me. Though you can't deny the power of the last part. But my Dad says you need to look at it in context. At the time it was written, recorded and released, it set something of a new standard for "serious" rock in the face of often incredibly trite pop music. A product of its time, it's not been "falsely elevated", it's just past its sell-by for most of us. In a way that a simpler, less ambitious song such as "How Many More Times" will prolly never be.

PS - My Dad went to Knebworth in 1979, and he says it was shite. He also thinks that part of the reason for Zeppelin's longevity is the fact that they ended when they did. "In Through The Out Door" was clearly their worst record, and the only forward was down. He also reckons they were glad to call it a day because there were major rifts between the various surviving band members.

hoonin

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2005, 04:38:41 pm »
But my Dad says

Can we make that your new custom title? ;)

it's not been "falsely elevated"

Yes it has, shut up :no

:D

"In Through The Out Door" was clearly their worst record

I can think of one much much worse than that....

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2005, 04:40:55 pm »
PS - My Dad went to Knebworth in 1979, and he says it was shite.

Got abit of it on DVD and I quite like it. Much different to the superb albert hall gig - which is probably the best I've seen/heard by them, its not at all intimate obviously. But almost like a goodbye? It's nice.

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2005, 04:53:13 pm »
Can we make that your new custom title? ;)

Well, it'd beat some of the suggestions I've heard lately.

But I'm just differentiating between my opinions and those of someone who knows yay more about the subject than I do. 

The worst studio album

hoonin

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2005, 04:57:33 pm »
The worst studio album

Well, technically the tracks were all recorded in the studio. "Can ya guess what it is yit?" :P

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2005, 05:01:50 pm »

Presence?

87:13

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2005, 05:07:22 pm »
I'd have to guess you mean "Houses Of The Holy". But you're wrong.

hoonin

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2005, 05:15:21 pm »
Nope - guess again ;)

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2005, 05:21:02 pm »
Nope - guess again ;)

Remember, if it doesn't have JB and JPJ it doesn't count
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2005, 05:21:51 pm »
Let me just point out that "Coda" was not a studio album. At least two of the songs were recorded live - at the Maida Vale theatre, I think.

Time to name, shame and explain, I think :)

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2005, 05:24:21 pm »
And if you say the BBC Sessions I'm going to yell at you
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

hoonin

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2005, 05:26:34 pm »
I was indeed referring to Coda :)

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2005, 05:30:13 pm »
I was indeed referring to Coda :)

Not a studio album, as such. First because there were two live tracks. Second because it was just a collection of out-takes - stuff not good enough for the albums that were released. A studio album - in my terminology - is something that was recorded and released of a piece. In the studio :)

Offline cochyn

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2005, 05:31:53 pm »
This is too wierd; I've had Ten Years Gone going around my head all afternoon, but I couldn;t download it as I'd forgotten the title  :butt .

Cheers Gareth!  :wave

(Zep are the definitive RnR band IMO ;) ).
Oh the heavy water how it enfolds. The salt, the spray, the gorgeous undertow.

hoonin

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2005, 05:44:31 pm »
Not a studio album, as such. First because there were two live tracks. Second because it was just a collection of out-takes - stuff not good enough for the albums that were released. A studio album - in my terminology - is something that was recorded and released of a piece. In the studio :)

Whooaa there, stop trying to change the context here ;)

You said:

"In Through The Out Door" was clearly their worst record

I said:

In which I was referring to Coda, which can be classed as a collection of sounds recorded onto magnetic media in a reproducible form, thus making it a record by dictionary defination, much in the same sense as 'In Through The Out Door". Therefore, I conclude that I am right, Coda is in fact Led Zeppelins worst record :nirnir

;D

No problem cochyn :wave

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2005, 05:52:05 pm »
Which is why I clarified my comment in re: "In Through The Out Door". It is their worst studio album. Indeed, I'll go further just to make sure we have no more "amusing" misunderstandings :)

It was their last proper studio album, and it was far and away their worst proper studio album. Clearly, therefore, indicating that "the only way was down".

;)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 10:04:38 am »
currently listening to Early / Latter Days
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2008, 10:59:48 am »
Have a listen to these. Couple of Bonham drum tracks in the studio.

Fool In The Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OVk1VzBCrc&feature=related

Whole Lotta Love (beginning).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9amGnefLbo&feature=related

What power that man had.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 07:18:15 pm »
I've had the 'Desert' DVD for ages now, and never listened to the very end of the Knebworth performance until now as I always play Whole Lotta love at least 5 times before turning the dvd off (Best performance of this song live that I've heard IMO). Only just noticed that the crowd are singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone!' Anyone shed any light on why this happened? I know that Plant is a Wolves fan  :-X

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2008, 07:27:45 pm »
Have a listen to these. Couple of Bonham drum tracks in the studio.

Fool In The Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OVk1VzBCrc&feature=related

Whole Lotta Love (beginning).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9amGnefLbo&feature=related

What power that man had.

A friend of mine, who was a music producer, told me a story about doing a recording in the Apple Studio, Bonham came in and asked the drummer if he could play on his set, the drummer said sure, and Bonham proceeded to hit them so hard he shredded them!  He says NO ONE has ever drummed as hard as this man.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2008, 08:40:43 pm »
Anyone else play drums here? Because, seriously, John Bonham is just indescribably godlike. His power is unreal, not to mention his sheer energy. Says it all when people like Dave Grohl (my personal hero) say that they got into music because of the influence he had on them. Each individual member of Led Zep is pretty much the benchmark on their respective positions in the band for all rock acts. Page and Plant are rock legends, and John Paul Jones is especially gifted - he can play about 20 different instruments. I find it slightly unfair that I was born in 1990. When my dad was teenager in the late 60's/ early 70's they had the likes of Led Zep, The Who and Hendrix knocking around. What did I get? Fucking Razorlight.

I'm friends with another producer, who did some of the early Zepp stuff (and is a "hall of fame" producer), who told me that Page is the most despicable human being he's ever had to deal with.

Love's Plant though!  (as do all the people I know in the industry)

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »
Really? That is interesting. Jimmy Page always struck me as being pretty laid back, but hey maybe not. Also, one of the teachers at the school I've just left used to teach at a school where Plant's kid attended. Said that Robert Plant himself pitched up for one of the parents evenings and was actually really nice - not up himself at all. Which, to be honest, if I could sing like him, I would be.

Well, the first producer I mentioned, told me that he was in a studio one day recording with his band, and Plant showed up as he wanted one of their band members to join his new band called Led Zepplin......after a lot of discussion his friend turned the offer down as he had a burgeoning writing business and he didn't want to tour a lot anymore (he's done very well for himself anyway!), talk about a missed opportunity.  They then asked Plant to gig with them (you have to understand that Led Zepplin wasn't "known" then).......he said as soon as he started to sing, he thought, this boys got a career in front of him, talk about an understatement.

The other producer, the one who did the early Zepp stuff, when I first met him I asked him how he got into the producing business, and he said that he was a "failed singer"......understandable when Plant was who you were comparing yourself to!

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 03:40:59 am »
Not a fan , but did and still do love STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:36 am »
I'm friends with another producer, who did some of the early Zepp stuff (and is a "hall of fame" producer), who told me that Page is the most despicable human being he's ever had to deal with.

Love's Plant though!  (as do all the people I know in the industry)

Quite surprised at that really - I've never met any of the band, but on some of the Zep forums people who have met them always say good things about Jimmy

example

20 minutes later Jimmy Page shows up with Jack White and a few other people. To put this into perspective I am 39, 3 kids a wife a minivan - not some record exec or movie exec - just a guy who has been a massive fan since I was 13 and was at the right place at the right time with one hell of a great friend. In any event I met Jimmy Page and partied with him for 2.5 hours - he is the nicest guy around. It was all I could do to walk up to him and  introduce myself to him - but I figured on behalf of every guy like you and me who would do anything to meet him I just had to do it. All three of those guys were totally down to earth and super casual - no attitude and Jimmy knew I was just some guy and treated me really well and did not rush our conversation and actually asked me what I thought of the movie - I told him I loved it and really appreciated all the rare footage. He said "ahh that's cool - of course I loved it I was in it!" Big laugh and then he cuffed me in the shoulder - you know in that joking around kind of way. He is the real deal and I am still buzzing a week and a bit later!

Maybe your guy met him when he was heavily into drugs? Who can say - I suppose people are in good moods some days and not on others.

I've loved Zeppelin since they were the first band I ever saw live (Liverpool Stadium 29/11/71) and I've got over 100 boots of their shows. They are great in the studio, but live they are simply phenomenal - no one can touch them.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »
Quite surprised at that really - I've never met any of the band, but on some of the Zep forums people who have met them always say good things about Jimmy

example

Maybe your guy met him when he was heavily into drugs? Who can say - I suppose people are in good moods some days and not on others.

I've loved Zeppelin since they were the first band I ever saw live (Liverpool Stadium 29/11/71) and I've got over 100 boots of their shows. They are great in the studio, but live they are simply phenomenal - no one can touch them.

He didn't "meet" him, he was a producer of some of their records!

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 3, 2010, 10:36:24 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00slsdw/The_John_Bonham_Story/

Just listening to this on the iplayer, Dave Grohl presents the John Bonham story, enjoy...

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 3, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00slsdw/The_John_Bonham_Story/

Just listening to this on the iplayer, Dave Grohl presents the John Bonham story, enjoy...

Excellent. As you can probably tell from the username LedZep are my favourite band.

Got the DJ at my wedding playing Rock'n'Roll at my wedding last year and wasn't sure how it would go down on the whole but the dance floor was buzzing! Was great stuff! Was always my favourite 'up' song from them as was said on page 1. Thing just cemented it's position as my favourite song, period!
"We come here for the winning!"