Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 887079 times)

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:50:38 pm »
 :-*A general repository for international cricket outside of the more significant rivalries.

India are playing Sri Lanka is a Test beginning today.  Hooray!  After being 32 for 4, we ended the day on 385 for 6 with Dravid unbeaten on 177 and Dhoni having scored a century too.  Good, aggressive fightback from a poor position showing that most modern teams want results out of Tests, which is excellent.  Should be a good match to watch.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:42:20 am by Raul! »

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: International Cricket 2009-2010 - General Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:47 pm »
Good idea, Raul, I was thinking we need one of these.

Great effort from Dravid today. He will surely go down as one of the greatest. Has the best average for a number 3, Bradman aside.

Decent support from Dhoni and Yuvraj as well.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:13 am »
Today it was almost empty stadium and cricket supposed to be a religion in india eh?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:35:00 pm »
I endorse the Dravid opinion. Not as beautiful to watch as Sachin (who in turn must bow to Laxman), but over the last 6 or 7 years the more effective batsman.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:36:14 pm »
In the shit now with Sri Lanka on 591-5.

We will need to bat out 4 sessions to draw the game I reckon, hopefully that shouldn't be a too difficult a task.

Today it was almost empty stadium and cricket supposed to be a religion in india eh?

Shocking it is. I reckon if they had the tests here (England), they stadiums would be pretty much full.

Watch how many supporters Pakistan pull in for their games next summer over here. And I remember when India went over there, the test matches might as well have been played behind closed doors.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:50 am »
677-5 now.
As for the crowds, the match is being played at Ahmedabad, a non-metro city. Test matches get almost full stadiums when the  matches are being played in the metros(Delhi,Mumbai,Kolkotta and Chennai).

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:57:45 am »
Jimmy just got a five-for SA on 85-7 ATM
choose Life.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:52:32 am »
Great catch from Wright to wrap the innings up, 119 all out, managing just 36.5 overs
choose Life.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 3, 2009, 10:40:19 am »
Sehwag has just smashed another double hundred.  243 of 201 balls currently.  Goodness, gracious me !
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2009, 10:58:05 am »
Sehwag has just smashed another double hundred.  243 of 201 balls currently.  Goodness, gracious me !

Is that one better than the NZ bloke did against England or was his 200 in a one dayer. Nash I think is name is.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2009, 11:01:13 am »
Is that one better than the NZ bloke did against England or was his 200 in a one dayer. Nash I think is name is.

Nah and I think you are talking about Nathan Astle.  But it is the second fastest double century ever and now is the fastest 250 ever.  And he shows no signs of relenting as well.  A boundary in each of the last 4 overs I think !

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
Pakistan vs new zealand series is far more interesting 1st test was fantastic balanaced pitches for bowling and batting, the india and sri lanka series is just batting batting e.t.c really need better pitches in sub contientent not particualrlly interesting or close games.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2009, 11:07:26 am by slickman »

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2009, 11:04:24 am »
I've watched a bit of Sehwag's knock today and he's been unbelievable, the Sri Lankans even tried to bowl down the leg side for a few overs, Sehwag just stepped back at hit them for boundries on the off side, great batting.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #13 on: December 3, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
264 off 218 balls and 11 overs remaining in the day.Could get 300 runs in a single day.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2009, 11:12:56 am »
Nah and I think you are talking about Nathan Astle.  But it is the second fastest double century ever and now is the fastest 250 ever.  And he shows no signs of relenting as well.  A boundary in each of the last 4 overs I think !

Yeah got the name wrong but Astle is the fastest 200? Amazing innings that. Sehwag could get the fastest 300 and 350 and 400 and maybe even break the test record if they give him another full day.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 3, 2009, 11:17:34 am »
This is just amazing stuff from Sehwag.

Closing in on a 3rd test 300!

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #16 on: December 3, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
only about 10 minutes remaining in the day's play.He is on 275.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #17 on: December 3, 2009, 11:37:14 am »
443-1 Stumps.
Sehwag 284.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 3, 2009, 11:44:36 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Sehwag make his triple century, he becomes the first person in the history of test cricket to score three triple centuries or have Lara and Bradman both got three triple centuries each as well ?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 3, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Sehwag make his triple century, he becomes the first person in the history of test cricket to score three triple centuries or have Lara and Bradman both got three triple centuries each as well ?

Both have two I think. He would be the first, lets hope he gets there.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/208504.html

It has always made me laugh when people claim he is little more than a hit-and-hope batsman. And those Pakistani supporters that think he's a poor-mans Shite Afridi. *waits for Amir*

You don't get close to three triple hundreds by being a slogger.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 3, 2009, 11:58:15 am »
No. You get them by being a brilliant slogger :D

;D

Okay, definitely not text book, and a very stand and deliver approach. But he is bloody brilliant at it. He's previous two are against South Africa and Pakistan, and now he's tearing Sri Lanka a new one. Decent oppo there.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2009, 12:10:43 pm »
By the way, Daniel Vettori has recently become only the eighth player in cricket history to claim 300 wickets and score 3000 runs - an amazing achievement, and you wonder had he been born Australian whether that statistic would have been even more impressive by now? Perhaps Warne's onslaught in the '90's might have kept him out of the team so it's a statement filled with rhetoric, but I think he's that good (although not as good as Warne).

It's an achievement which puts him firmly into the pantheon of greatest all-rounders I would suggest.
Probably the cricketer most liked by Australians not playing for us. Says it all for me.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2009, 12:17:04 pm »

Virender Sehwag's astonishing unbeaten 284 took India to 443-1 in reply to Sri Lanka's 393 after just two days of the final Test at the Brabourne Stadium.

Sehwag scored his runs off 239 balls. It was the second fastest double ton in Test history, and the fastest 250.

Only Sri Lanka's slow over-rate stopped him having a stab at Don Bradman's record haul in a day's play, 309.

But he remains on course to be the first man ever to hit three triple centuries in Test cricket.

By scoring 16 more runs on Friday, he would go ahead of Bradman and West Indian Brian Lara (who each have two) - and almost certainly break his own record for the fewest balls faced to register a Test triple ton.

Although the day began with Sri Lanka on 366-8, India - from 79 overs - recorded their best ever score in a single day's play, and much of that was down to the remarkable batting of the Delhi-born 31-year-old. Sehwag now has five of the fastest nine double hundreds in Test history, and has scored six in total.

With Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara tending to post fielders in his scoring areas on the leg-side, he showed some remarkably inventive hitting through the off-side.

Reverse-sweeps and paddles were picked off with ease, as were a succession of delightful late cuts off the quicker bowlers, and, against the spinners, drives lofted over extra cover as he backed away to the leg-side.

There were 40 boundaries and seven sixes, including some no-nonsense smacks straight down the ground and over midwicket - though he never really forced the ball, using exquisite timing and balance to keep the fielders scurrying about in vain.

He was dropped just once, by Mahela Jayawardene at slip off Tillakaratne Dilshan, by which time he had already amassed 273.

He had two partners in crime. Murali Vijay was given a rare Test appearance with Gautam Gambhir away at his sister's wedding and responded with a contribution of 87 in a 221-run opening stand before falling lbw on the sweep to Rangana Herath.

Rahul Dravid, far too good a batsman not to cash in against a demoralised bowling attack on a flat wicket, added a further 186 with Sehwag, and was 62 not out at stumps.

With three whole days of the match to come, and Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh and Mahendra Dhoni yet to bat, India are on course for a truly eye-watering first innings score.

Amid the carnage of Thursday, Muttiah Muralitharan send down 20 overs costing 119. No itinerant observer could believe it was the same Muttiah Muralitharan who has taken a record 788 Test wickets - but such was India's confidence with the bat that he was swiftly dismantled as an attacking threat.

It had been a wretched day for Sri Lanka, who are 1-0 down in the series. Angelo Mathews seemed likely to provide an early beacon of optimism for them, but was run out by an inch as he looked for the second run he needed to reach a maiden century.

Harbhajan Singh, bowling with the sort of control that Muralitharan would strive to find, finished with 4-112 - an excellent return on an unencouraging wicket for bowlers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/8392626.stm

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2009, 12:19:56 pm »
By the way, Daniel Vettori has recently become only the eighth player in cricket history to claim 300 wickets and score 3000 runs - an amazing achievement, and you wonder had he been born Australian whether that statistic would have been even more impressive by now? Perhaps Warne's onslaught in the '90's might have kept him out of the team so it's a statement filled with rhetoric, but I think he's that good (although not as good as Warne).

It's an achievement which puts him firmly into the pantheon of greatest all-rounders I would suggest.

Always been a fan of Dan. One small way of trying to compare would be to remove Dans record again Aus and Warnes record against NZ.

Warne would still I assume come out on the bowling front but there is the obvious fact that cannot be changes by stats. Warne played in probably the greatest test side that has ever existed and Dan has played in pretty mediocre NZ teams from the moment he first played.

Swap their nationalities and Warne probably becomes a great bowler who never played in a great team and Dan is a legend of Aussie cricket.
Obi-Wan:

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #24 on: December 3, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »

Virender Sehwag's astonishing unbeaten 284 took India to 443-1 in reply to Sri Lanka's 393 after just two days of the final Test at the Brabourne Stadium.

Sehwag scored his runs off 239 balls. It was the second fastest double ton in Test history, and the fastest 250.

Only Sri Lanka's slow over-rate stopped him having a stab at Don Bradman's record haul in a day's play, 309.

But he remains on course to be the first man ever to hit three triple centuries in Test cricket.

By scoring 16 more runs on Friday, he would go ahead of Bradman and West Indian Brian Lara (who each have two) - and almost certainly break his own record for the fewest balls faced to register a Test triple ton.

Although the day began with Sri Lanka on 366-8, India - from 79 overs - recorded their best ever score in a single day's play, and much of that was down to the remarkable batting of the Delhi-born 31-year-old. Sehwag now has five of the fastest nine double hundreds in Test history, and has scored six in total.

With Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara tending to post fielders in his scoring areas on the leg-side, he showed some remarkably inventive hitting through the off-side.

Reverse-sweeps and paddles were picked off with ease, as were a succession of delightful late cuts off the quicker bowlers, and, against the spinners, drives lofted over extra cover as he backed away to the leg-side.

There were 40 boundaries and seven sixes, including some no-nonsense smacks straight down the ground and over midwicket - though he never really forced the ball, using exquisite timing and balance to keep the fielders scurrying about in vain.

He was dropped just once, by Mahela Jayawardene at slip off Tillakaratne Dilshan, by which time he had already amassed 273.

He had two partners in crime. Murali Vijay was given a rare Test appearance with Gautam Gambhir away at his sister's wedding and responded with a contribution of 87 in a 221-run opening stand before falling lbw on the sweep to Rangana Herath.

Rahul Dravid, far too good a batsman not to cash in against a demoralised bowling attack on a flat wicket, added a further 186 with Sehwag, and was 62 not out at stumps.

With three whole days of the match to come, and Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh and Mahendra Dhoni yet to bat, India are on course for a truly eye-watering first innings score.

Amid the carnage of Thursday, Muttiah Muralitharan send down 20 overs costing 119. No itinerant observer could believe it was the same Muttiah Muralitharan who has taken a record 788 Test wickets - but such was India's confidence with the bat that he was swiftly dismantled as an attacking threat.

It had been a wretched day for Sri Lanka, who are 1-0 down in the series. Angelo Mathews seemed likely to provide an early beacon of optimism for them, but was run out by an inch as he looked for the second run he needed to reach a maiden century.

Harbhajan Singh, bowling with the sort of control that Muralitharan would strive to find, finished with 4-112 - an excellent return on an unencouraging wicket for bowlers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/8392626.stm

:o
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 3, 2009, 07:48:59 pm »
Plus he's got a class first name :D

And a boss beard!

Love the man, think he's first class.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #26 on: December 3, 2009, 08:10:36 pm »
Explosive batting from the little man!

Can't wait to see the highlights.
JFT97

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 3, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »
It looks a very flat pitch.....if he gets through the first half hour of the mornings play, I think he'll go past Lara's score.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2009, 08:25:25 pm »
If he gets past Lara's score, what odds on India being the first team to score 1,000 in Test cricket??

Will be a great achieivement to get 400 playing at that pace even if it is a  lifeless pitch for bowlers , 1000! Hope not  :boring  wouldnt hurt to see a few wickets fall!
« Last Edit: December 3, 2009, 08:27:09 pm by slickman »

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
Brilliant batting from Sehwag. I don't personally think he'll go on to beat Lara's record tomorrow though

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 3, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »
If he gets past Lara's score, what odds on India being the first team to score 1,000 in Test cricket??
If Sehwag batted all of the third day, then I think they'd be in with a chance of getting past 1000.  Mind you, if Sehwag batted all of the third day I think he'd get 600 of those 1000 on his own.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 3, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »

Don't thnk we will waste the time chasing the record. If we win this test we go no1 in the ICC test rankings, something which has never happened before. That's what we will be going after.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #32 on: December 3, 2009, 10:22:59 pm »
Think a lot depends on the calm Dravid staying in too. Shewag also needs to just play his game and not be silly (dont think that's possible though)
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline SJL

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2009, 12:50:12 am »
Windies 2 down against Australia with just under an hour played.  If one of Sarwan or Chanderpaul goes quickly, would it be cruel to suggest that Australia will be batting their first innings before the end of day's play?  Oh, and by that I don't mean that the Windies will have declared.  :P

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2009, 03:01:02 am »
Can't wait for the day's play to start.  Hopefully, he starts off from where he left off yesterday and like Art has already said, if he plays the whole day, I wouldn't be surprised if Sehwag gets 550 or above.  Really wouldn't. 

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 4, 2009, 04:23:42 am »
Dragged myself out of bed at 4am. Turned on the box and just saw the ball flying over the rope for a 6, but it was a big hit from Dravid.....a few balls later Sehwag is caught and bowled Murali. Gutted.

Back to bed.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 4, 2009, 04:30:24 am »
Absolute shame that he didn't get his triple hundred.  Oh well, knowing how he plays, he may get the chance to do it again.  After all, he is only 31 and has a good few years to go. 

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 4, 2009, 06:22:35 am »
A little just though. Did Sehwag really deserve to break a record held by Bradman and Lara?

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: December 4, 2009, 06:30:24 am »
A little just though. Did Sehwag really deserve to break a record held by Bradman and Lara?

Nah, he's at the same level as them. Not better IMO.
C'est la vie.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 4, 2009, 06:40:26 am »
He's a quality player but Hes nowhere near that class but with a flat pitch anything could have been possible but a match winning 100 on a green seaming pitch would be far greater innings then any 300 plus score he got on here. Very rarely see a great test innings under pressure anymore in cricket in difficult conditions its a batsman game now flat pitches pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 06:45:36 am by slickman »