Author Topic: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*  (Read 568042 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*
« Reply #9200 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:36 am »
So O’Neil to leave the Wolves manager role to work under Southgate?
You know what's better than having one mid-table premier league manager at your club? Having two mid-table PL managers. #MarginalGains
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9201 on: March 27, 2024, 09:06:42 am »
You know what's better than having one mid-table premier league manager at your club? Having two mid-table PL managers. #MarginalGains

:D

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9202 on: March 27, 2024, 09:13:37 am »
So O’Neil to leave the Wolves manager role to work under Southgate?

This "new" utd screams of trying to be far too clever for their own good, imagine asking a succesfull Premiership manager/coach to come and work under someone else. Such arrogance, unbecoming those c*nts.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9203 on: March 27, 2024, 10:13:19 am »
Mainoo is still trending on Twitter. Please make it stop.  :o Hes going to be another Pogba isnt he?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #9204 on: March 27, 2024, 10:32:17 am »
Mainoo is still trending on Twitter. Please make it stop.  :o Hes going to be another Pogba isnt he?

I’d be astonished if he’s even a tenth as good as Pogba. It’s mind boggling, he’s not good at anything :D

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9205 on: March 27, 2024, 10:36:50 am »

No, no, no - let it continue. It’s absolutely great!
We are Liverpool!

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9206 on: March 27, 2024, 10:37:37 am »
How bad is ten hag, hes got the best 18 year old since messi and they can’t even break into the top 5

Offline Wghennessy

• Embarassing
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9207 on: March 27, 2024, 10:45:27 am »

It was the most average performance youll ever see. If his name was Henderson he would have got absolutely rinsed.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9208 on: March 27, 2024, 10:49:10 am »
I must either be blind or just not understand football because I just don't see the hype at all. He seems like a bang average CM and yet it feels like I'm being gaslit into thinking he's the second coming of Messi

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9209 on: March 27, 2024, 10:56:57 am »
I must either be blind or just not understand football because I just don't see the hype at all. He seems like a bang average CM and yet it feels like I'm being gaslit into thinking he's the second coming of Messi

Greatest 18 year old this country has ever seen

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #9210 on: March 27, 2024, 10:57:16 am »

He's 18, English & hasn't looked out of place in an (albeit shit) Manchester United midfield. That's pretty much all it takes for the press to go into Jizzfest overdrive these days.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9211 on: March 27, 2024, 11:08:11 am »
If england dont win the euros, its Mainoos fault. I expected more from a generational player.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9212 on: March 27, 2024, 11:22:19 am »
What are you on about? In the paper after our game with them, his emergence was hailed as on of the most meteoric rises that football has ever seen.

:lmao
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9213 on: March 27, 2024, 12:05:51 pm »
How many United youth players can you name over the last 10 to 15 years who have been hyped by the main stream press (so not just their own fans as most clubs do) but have gone on to do very little?

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #9214 on: March 27, 2024, 12:10:36 pm »
I don't see the hype with Mainoo but the hype in itself isn't surprising. As Craig said above this kind of this has happened for ages, players have been fully fledged England internationals on the back of a few appearances for United and have then gone on to milk a career out of it.

Mainoo might be different I don't know but I don't see anything outstanding in his game so far. Young he is and he will improve etc but let's wait before we declare him the best midfielder in Europe. The press aren't far off proclaiming that already.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #9215 on: March 27, 2024, 12:13:06 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4xwqZgiHvR/?igsh=OHdjc2NhMjVjeGtv

Not as cutting as some of their stuff but made me smile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:14:47 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9216 on: March 27, 2024, 12:20:42 pm »
it's beyond bloody childish.  he got MOTM ffs.  and idiots falling over each other to kiss his ass.  :)

bbc:
The remarkable rise of 18-year-old Kobbie Mainoo continued last night.  In the latest of chapter of his breakthrough season, Mainoo was handed his first start for England after coming off the bench for a cameo appearance in the loss against Brazil on Saturday.  Mainoo got 74 minutes under his belt against Belgium, giving Gareth Southgate a big decision to make when it comes to naming his squad for Euro 2024.

His England team-mates didn't hold back with their praise for the teenager.  Ivan Toney said: "I think at 18 I was probably playing Xbox but he's out here being a man and playing for England.
He carries himself very well, he glides with the ball, I'm sure there's a lot more to come from him and he's going all the way to the top."

Jordan Pickford said: "He's quality. I think he made his full Premier League debut for Manchester United against Everton and he dictated the game pretty much. He's not been out of the United side since. He's come in and done what he's been doing there and you can see he's a top talent."

After making his debut as a substitute against Brazil, Mainoo was handed a starting place by Gareth Southgate in Tuesday's friendly with Belgium. "You just can't stop being impressed by this young man," said former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson on BBC Radio 5 Live's Football Daily podcast. "He's played less than 25 games for Manchester United but he's had an impact on Southgate and has been promoted into the first team."

Aged 18 years and 342 days, Mainoo became the third-youngest United player to start a game for England, behind Duncan Edwards(18y 183d) and Marcus Rashford (18y 209d).

"Quite often from an international point of view, we're guilty of promoting players too young and they don't even make it off the bench," added Robinson. "This isn't the case with Mainoo. He's come into the side and straight into the starting line-up. There might be players missing through injury but he's made a real case to be included in the Euro squad."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9217 on: March 27, 2024, 12:26:53 pm »
He might make the squad but surely won’t start at the Euros. Haven’t seen enough of him to make a proper judgement of him. For now I’ll assume he’s overhyped because of who he plays for. As someone said he will get goodwill because of his age, and he is tidy on the ball. But when he came on against Brazil they started to get more joy on the counter and sounds like Belgium played through them quite easily last night too so if you were to judge him as an adult midfielder and how he makes the midfield function, rather than him just being a talented young player who can pick a pass now and again you’d not be having him near the team.

Not that most on here will be bothered, but he will so I feel a bit for Curtis. He’s had bad timing with injuries when it comes to international selection. Think he’ll miss the bait for the summer which is a shame for him, even if it’s good for us if he gets plenty of rest.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9218 on: March 27, 2024, 12:42:25 pm »
Not that most on here will be bothered, but he will so I feel a bit for Curtis. He’s had bad timing with injuries when it comes to international selection. Think he’ll miss the bait for the summer which is a shame for him, even if it’s good for us if he gets plenty of rest.

I get what you're saying and don't really disagree, but imo the last thing Curtis needs is to be called up for England. 

too many serious back-to-back injuries, he needs a meaningful break from the game this summer so he can focus on impressing his new boss.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #9219 on: March 27, 2024, 01:18:09 pm »
It was the most average performance youll ever see. If his name was Henderson he would have got absolutely rinsed.
Thank you. I thought I was watching a different game to the commentators and pundits. Did make me laugh, they showed a clip highlighting him doing something good and the first part of it was him giving the ball straight to the opposition.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9220 on: March 27, 2024, 01:29:45 pm »
Thank you. I thought I was watching a different game to the commentators and pundits. Did make me laugh, they showed a clip highlighting him doing something good and the first part of it was him giving the ball straight to the opposition.

At least the ball stayed in play.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #9221 on: March 27, 2024, 01:45:05 pm »
If england dont win the euros, its Mainoos fault. I expected more from a generational player.

Seven of your last (checks notes) 11 posts have been about Kobbie Mainoo.

Hope you're having a lovely day.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #9222 on: March 27, 2024, 01:53:51 pm »
Jordan Pickford said: "He's quality. I think he made his full Premier League debut for Manchester United against Everton and he dictated the game pretty much.

If ever the phrase damned by faint praise was appropriate
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9223 on: March 27, 2024, 02:06:52 pm »
Just let the press hype him so Southgate has to pick him. Meanwhile, some of our young lads can make the steady progress they actually need to make in the shadows without the same spotlight.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9224 on: March 27, 2024, 02:37:09 pm »

mocking you lot and the UK media wanking themselves dizzy over the latest simply fabulous young MU player, who's done basically eff-all and doesn't pass any kind of eye or stats test, is always a good day.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #9225 on: March 27, 2024, 02:41:48 pm »
At least the ball stayed in play.
Marianne, a man to aspire to.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9226 on: March 27, 2024, 04:25:37 pm »

I’ve clearly wasted the other 4. Imagine having the audacity to post about anything else right now.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9227 on: March 27, 2024, 04:36:45 pm »
I’ve clearly wasted the other 4. Imagine having the audacity to post about anything else right now.

Sounds like suedehead has a right kobbie-on with you :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9228 on: March 27, 2024, 05:15:45 pm »
That Carl Weathers - Arnie handshake meme is basically every stat nerd and every Liverpool fan right now, wondering how someone with as stats as bad and not passing the eye test as Mainoo is getting such hype.

That's not to say he won't develop into a really good player. But calm those horses for a few seasons just now.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9229 on: March 27, 2024, 06:02:38 pm »
It's the problem with United for years of underachieving.

Every young player is hailed as a future star just like every signing gets them excited (but goes nowhere).  Without the right set-up, players are never going to live up to those expectations.  There's a reason why Ferguson's youth players, even ones that weren't very good, were contributors to title-winning sides.  And there's a reason why since Ferguson, almost every hyped youngster and signing have not lived up to expectations.

The team are so bad relative to how much they spend and what expectations are, and some of their first-teamers are so terrible with awful attitudes that pretty much any new player to the side (especially the youth players) seem like big talents and breaths of fresh air.  Only for them to hit reality in due time because the coaching set up is so poor and those players eventually become the same underachieving first-teamers they supplanted in the first place.

They need to revamp everything, not just pin their hopes on the next talented 18-year old.
King Kenny.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9230 on: March 27, 2024, 06:34:33 pm »
I don't see the hype with Mainoo but the hype in itself isn't surprising. As Craig said above this kind of this has happened for ages, players have been fully fledged England internationals on the back of a few appearances for United and have then gone on to milk a career out of it.

Mainoo might be different I don't know but I don't see anything outstanding in his game so far. Young he is and he will improve etc but let's wait before we declare him the best midfielder in Europe. The press aren't far off proclaiming that already.

I'm old enough to remember Tom Cleverley and its giving me flashbacks
Mainoo's timing is also really good.. the England team has a gap in the traditional CM slot and a shit load of AMs

The fact is he's not particularly good yet at the top level... he does some eye catching things and looks decent technically but I'm a numbers guy and his underlying club numbers aren't there (you can contrast with a player like Elliott whose produced them since day 1) ..
Doesn't mean he won't go on to be elite - playing significant minutes at CM at 18 for a big club is rare and impressive, but the over rating of him based on where he's at today is mental

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #9231 on: March 27, 2024, 06:57:50 pm »
Off the back of the cup win against us and the ensuing wall to wall media love- in, then the non stop (and thus far completely unjustified) hype around the kid who just played for England … it’s a timely reminder how this lot will be off-the-scale insufferable if they ever actually win something significant. It’ll be worse than even the period under Ferguson.

Fortunately it won’t be anytime soon.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9232 on: March 27, 2024, 07:12:52 pm »
This Mainoo kid is the perfect combination of the Manchester United and England hype train in full effect.

England haven’t won a game when he’s played against teams they should probably have beaten at home and Manchester United have been deeply, deeply shite particularly due to dire underperformance in the position he plays in this season.

He’s a kid that’s all fine it shouldn’t be expected but here we are again. The Rooney comparisons are some of the most laughable hyperbole I’ve ever seen. In no world are they comparable as players or in their initial impact.

But apparently he’s a shoe in for the plane. ENGERLUND.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9233 on: March 27, 2024, 08:12:23 pm »
Just a wee reminder this powerhouse of a team has scored less league goals than Luton this season.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9234 on: March 27, 2024, 08:15:30 pm »
Just a wee reminder this powerhouse of a team has scored less league goals than Luton this season.
Gunna have to pull you up on that one. Hate to do it, but that's not quite right.  It's fewer goals than Luton 😁
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9235 on: March 27, 2024, 08:24:01 pm »
Gunna have to pull you up on that one. Hate to do it, but that's not quite right.  It's fewer goals than Luton 😁

You got me 😉 i should have said fewer goals and less leadership on n off the field
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9236 on: March 27, 2024, 09:24:02 pm »
If they take points off us at Old Trafford, think there'll genuinely be more celebration and excitement amongst Man Utd fans over their 'Treble' (of unbeaten matches against Liverpool) than there was amongst Man City fans over their 'Treble' last season.

Tells you everything about the state of those two clubs.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9237 on: March 27, 2024, 09:30:04 pm »
it's beyond bloody childish.  he got MOTM ffs.  and idiots falling over each other to kiss his ass.  :)

bbc:
The remarkable rise of 18-year-old Kobbie Mainoo continued last night.  In the latest of chapter of his breakthrough season, Mainoo was handed his first start for England after coming off the bench for a cameo appearance in the loss against Brazil on Saturday.  Mainoo got 74 minutes under his belt against Belgium, giving Gareth Southgate a big decision to make when it comes to naming his squad for Euro 2024.

His England team-mates didn't hold back with their praise for the teenager.  Ivan Toney said: "I think at 18 I was probably playing Xbox but he's out here being a man and playing for England.
He carries himself very well, he glides with the ball, I'm sure there's a lot more to come from him and he's going all the way to the top."

Jordan Pickford said: "He's quality. I think he made his full Premier League debut for Manchester United against Everton and he dictated the game pretty much. He's not been out of the United side since. He's come in and done what he's been doing there and you can see he's a top talent."

After making his debut as a substitute against Brazil, Mainoo was handed a starting place by Gareth Southgate in Tuesday's friendly with Belgium. "You just can't stop being impressed by this young man," said former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson on BBC Radio 5 Live's Football Daily podcast. "He's played less than 25 games for Manchester United but he's had an impact on Southgate and has been promoted into the first team."

Aged 18 years and 342 days, Mainoo became the third-youngest United player to start a game for England, behind Duncan Edwards(18y 183d) and Marcus Rashford (18y 209d).

"Quite often from an international point of view, we're guilty of promoting players too young and they don't even make it off the bench," added Robinson. "This isn't the case with Mainoo. He's come into the side and straight into the starting line-up. There might be players missing through injury but he's made a real case to be included in the Euro squad."

Genuinely thought that was parody. Reads like something off The Daily Mash.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9238 on: March 27, 2024, 09:49:28 pm »
Hyping up Utd players you say?

How about an interview with a player who made one appearance for Utd.

I've you've ever wondered what happened to.......checks notes.....James Weir. No, me neither.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/25/james-weir-my-manchester-united-debut-was-an-out-of-body-experience-i-wouldnt-change-that-for-anything
We are Liverpool!

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9239 on: March 27, 2024, 10:01:36 pm »
Hyping up Utd players you say?

How about an interview with a player who made one appearance for Utd.

I've you've ever wondered what happened to.......checks notes.....James Weir. No, me neither.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/25/james-weir-my-manchester-united-debut-was-an-out-of-body-experience-i-wouldnt-change-that-for-anything

Haha, he played a total of one minute and he's being interviewed about it.

I love this bit:

"A history of playing alongside stars helped abroad, one club providing a social media test to get players to phone their most famous contact. Sadly for Weir, Rashford had changed his number..."
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.