Author Topic: Chelsea - schooled by Liverpool's kids  (Read 192319 times)

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chelsea - The Saudi money is just RESTING in Todd Boehly's Account
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2023, 12:21:15 am »
What I don't understand about Amortisation (and maybe one of our accountant colleagues can advise) is the example used by the BBC today
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66507341
"When a team sell a player, all of the profits go on to the accounts straight away. To use another example, Kai Havertz cost Chelsea £71m in 2020, which equates to £14m a year over his five-year contract. But when he was sold to Arsenal this summer for about £65m he had about £28.4m of value left on the books for the final two years of his contract, meaning the Blues could bank about 36.6m of 'profit'." 
To me, this makes no sense, Havertz cost £71m (which they have to pay regardless of how early they sell him). They sell him for £65m so to me that's a loss. I assume me the rest of the money they paid for him for years 4 and 5 are paid for out of the £65m which is where the £36.6 comes from. It just seems a recipe for both inflated markets and storing up problems when income and expenditure are treated differently and an accounting technique which has little merit when it distorts reality so much. I prefer to think of them paying out £42.6m over 3 years, getting £65m in and making therefore £22.4m.

Even then their income may not be cash and spread out over time and that does not seem to matter.
Why can't we have a simple sum, if they buy with cash it goes into that years balance sheet, if they buy on credit it's spread out, for both the buyer and the seller.

Or am I being thick (or uncreative)

Year zero (Havertz has a 5 year contract, therefore the useful economic life of the player is expensed over 5 yrs):
Balance sheet: Credit cash £71m (purchase Havertz)
Balance sheet: Debit 'players asset' (Havertz) £71m

Year 1:
P&L account: Debit amortisation expense £14.2m
Balance sheet: Credit 'players asset' (Havertz) £14.2m

Year 2:

Year 3:

Sale of Havertz:
Balance sheet: Debit cash £65m (sale of Havertz)
Balance sheet: Credit 'players asset' £28.4m (£71m less £14.2m x 3) - residual balance of player asset after total amortisation expense - (this must equal to zero since there is no longer a Havertz 'player asset' on the balance sheet)
P&L account: Debit realised gains £36.6m (£65m less £28.4m written down player asset value)

In total Chelsea will have booked a P&L expense of £42.6m spread over the first 3 years (amortisation to date of the purchase fee - this of course ignores the players wages etc which will also be a separate expense in the accounts), however on the year of sale they will have recorded a realised gain of £36.6m net against this - overall, a £6m loss as you correctly point out (since he's sold for £65m against purchase of £71m.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 12:39:04 am by Luke1980 »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2023, 12:38:40 am »

Year zero (Havertz has a 5 year contract, therefore the useful economic life of the player is expensed over 5 yrs):
Balance sheet: Credit cash £71m (purchase Havertz)
Balance sheet: Debit 'players asset' (Havertz) £71m

Year 1:

Year 2:

Year 3:

Sale of Havertz:
Balance sheet: Debit cash £65m (sale of Havertz)
Balance sheet: Credit 'players asset' £28.4m - residual balance of player asset after total amortisation expense - (this must equal to zero since there is no longer a Havertz 'player asset' on the balance sheet)
P&L account: Debit realised gains £36.6m (£65m less £28.4m written down player asset value)

In total Chelsea will have booked a P&L expense of £42.6m spread over the first 3 years (amortisation to date of the purchase fee - this of course ignores the players wages etc which will also be a separate expense in the accounts), however on the year of sale they will have recorded a realised gain of £36.6m net against this - overall, a £6m loss as you correctly point out (since he's sold for £65m against purchase of £71m.

why is the credit for the 3 yrs not 42.6?

Offline Luke1980

• Main Stander
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2023, 12:42:40 am »
why is the credit for the 3 yrs not 42.6?

It is? The residual value of Havertz after 3 years is £28.4m, after crediting £42.6m of amortisation expense over 3 years?

Year zero:
Havertz worth £71m

Year one:
Havertz worth £56.8m
Credit player asset £14.2m
Debit amortisation £14.2m

Year two:
Havertz worth £42.6m

Year three:
Havertz worth £28.4m

The total amortisation amount is £42.6m, but the residual value of the player after 3 years of £14.2m amortisation is £28.4m - therefore when sold, the £65m sales price is net against the residual book value of £28.4m and the realised gain is therefore £36.6m.

£14.2m + £14.2m + £14.2m + £28.4m = £71m.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 12:48:01 am by Luke1980 »

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2023, 12:50:09 am »
What I don't understand about Amortisation (and maybe one of our accountant colleagues can advise) is the example used by the BBC today
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66507341
"When a team sell a player, all of the profits go on to the accounts straight away. To use another example, Kai Havertz cost Chelsea £71m in 2020, which equates to £14m a year over his five-year contract. But when he was sold to Arsenal this summer for about £65m he had about £28.4m of value left on the books for the final two years of his contract, meaning the Blues could bank about 36.6m of 'profit'." 
To me, this makes no sense, Havertz cost £71m (which they have to pay regardless of how early they sell him). They sell him for £65m so to me that's a loss. I assume me the rest of the money they paid for him for years 4 and 5 are paid for out of the £65m which is where the £36.6 comes from. It just seems a recipe for both inflated markets and storing up problems when income and expenditure are treated differently and an accounting technique which has little merit when it distorts reality so much. I prefer to think of them paying out £42.6m over 3 years, getting £65m in and making therefore £22.4m.

Even then their income may not be cash and spread out over time and that does not seem to matter.
Why can't we have a simple sum, if they buy with cash it goes into that years balance sheet, if they buy on credit it's spread out, for both the buyer and the seller.

Or am I being thick (or uncreative)

When you think about amortisation you should think about how that asset is going to be used and how much it cost you.

So in this case you buy the asset for 71m and you expect to use that asset over the defined period of the contract - 5 years.  You're not using it all up in the first year so to accurately reflect that you amortise the asset over its life - in this case the contract length - so we divide 71m by 5.  This is much the same as depreciating an asset if you are familiar with that concept?

Regarding the sale side of things because the business no longer has that asset they get to realise all the proceeds at the time of the sale.

This is why Chelsea are easily able to spend in such huge quantities because as long as the sales proceeds are bigger than the total size of transfers divided by their contract length they've got nothing to worry about - for the moment at least.  In the future profitability will be a factor in which case they could in theory be forced to sell players to meet their accounting needs but lets not over complicate it.

In many respects what Chelsea are doing is what is very common place in baseball, where there is a high frequency of trades in the offseason and during and up to the trade deadline during the season.  It's been often documented that players can 1 minute be out practicing with the squad and the next minute get a tap on their shoulder and told to clear out their locker as they have a new ball club to join.  It often seems like general managers are playing an expensive game of solving a Rubix cube in the hope that they land on the perfect combination of players to win a World Series.  Given this example, it might help to explain the way that Boehly has managed Chelsea so far.         

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2023, 12:54:30 am »
It is? The residual value of Havertz after 3 years is £28.4m, after crediting £42.6m of amortisation expense over 3 years?

Year zero:
Havertz worth £71m

Year one:
Havertz worth £56.8m

Year two:
Havertz worth £42.6m

Year three:
Havertz worth £28.4m

The total amortisation amount is £42.6m, but the residual value of the player after 3 years of £14.2m amortisation is £28.4m - therefore when sold, the £65m sales price is net against the residual book value of £28.4m and the realised gain is therefore £36.6m.

£14.2m + £14.2m + £14.2m + £28.4m = £71m.

Ahh yes. Thanks.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2023, 12:59:02 am »
Said the same thing a few times. There is no motivation. E.g., Caicedo signing a 8-9 year contract until he's 30; retirement is what I call it.

It's a fair point, though does anyone actually know what details are in their contracts?  From a players perspective they would have a similar objection to signing such long contracts and yet they're all happily going along with it.  Yes you could argue job security, but I'd argue that a key component of their long contracts is performance incentives / bonuses.

For example, for every major trophy won your contract increases by 10%.  Something along those lines.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2023, 01:16:41 am »
When you think about amortisation you should think about how that asset is going to be used and how much it cost you.

So in this case you buy the asset for 71m and you expect to use that asset over the defined period of the contract - 5 years.  You're not using it all up in the first year so to accurately reflect that you amortise the asset over its life - in this case the contract length - so we divide 71m by 5.  This is much the same as depreciating an asset if you are familiar with that concept?

Regarding the sale side of things because the business no longer has that asset they get to realise all the proceeds at the time of the sale.

This is why Chelsea are easily able to spend in such huge quantities because as long as the sales proceeds are bigger than the total size of transfers divided by their contract length they've got nothing to worry about - for the moment at least.  In the future profitability will be a factor in which case they could in theory be forced to sell players to meet their accounting needs but lets not over complicate it.

In many respects what Chelsea are doing is what is very common place in baseball, where there is a high frequency of trades in the offseason and during and up to the trade deadline during the season.  It's been often documented that players can 1 minute be out practicing with the squad and the next minute get a tap on their shoulder and told to clear out their locker as they have a new ball club to join.  It often seems like general managers are playing an expensive game of solving a Rubix cube in the hope that they land on the perfect combination of players to win a World Series.  Given this example, it might help to explain the way that Boehly has managed Chelsea so far.       
I sort of get it now, still feel the income from the sale should be spread as well (unless it comes in cash up front)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2023, 05:42:40 am »
It's a fair point, though does anyone actually know what details are in their contracts?  From a players perspective they would have a similar objection to signing such long contracts and yet they're all happily going along with it.  Yes you could argue job security, but I'd argue that a key component of their long contracts is performance incentives / bonuses.

For example, for every major trophy won your contract increases by 10%.  Something along those lines.
Yeah, it's all a conjecture. And you are right, the payments can be highly incentivized. But scaling the footballer's life with that of a normal mortal, if I was offered a 40-year high-paid contract at 25, I'd take it and be in retirement mode for the rest of my life.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #408 on: August 18, 2023, 06:11:45 am »
"We all dream of a team of Bogardes" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Hopefully comes true like.
We are Liverpool!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #409 on: August 18, 2023, 09:07:31 am »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #411 on: August 18, 2023, 11:10:28 am »
Lavia completes Chelsea Move | Blues to field ‘LFC’ midfield?

A legit headline from the Sky Sports website. The bias is strong.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #412 on: August 18, 2023, 11:11:55 am »

They got the reaction they wanted from you though.  I wouldn't have known about it without you posting it was a thing.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #413 on: August 18, 2023, 11:47:11 am »
I don’t think it’s paranoia to point out crowing in the media & definite coordinated PR attacks on the club this offseason. Chelsea & their minions have identified us as targets for sure. Which, considering where we both were last season seems weird. Shouldn’t they be aiming higher? Yet they sold passable players to supposed rivals whilst going out of their way to thwart Liverpool. Perhaps they really just want to challenge us for 5th. 🤷🏽‍♂️
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 18, 2023, 12:04:01 pm »
I don’t think it’s paranoia to point out crowing in the media & definite coordinated PR attacks on the club this offseason. Chelsea & their minions have identified us as targets for sure. Which, considering where we both were last season seems weird. Shouldn’t they be aiming higher? Yet they sold passable players to supposed rivals whilst going out of their way to thwart Liverpool. Perhaps they really just want to challenge us for 5th. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The Sky stuff is just the usual stirring shit to get a reaction - they know there are Liverpool fans everywhere, so are just looking for clicks and "engagements". It's fucking annoying but I don't take it personally.

I do agree though, that Chelsea themselves and certain journalists who are friendly to them have been going after us deliberately this window.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #415 on: August 18, 2023, 12:04:10 pm »

I mean, it’s only the Lavia deal you could say was a ‘thing’. With Caicedo it was Liverpool who went in long after Chelsea did. And only because they got played mercilessly by his scumbag agent - who in turn played Chelsea too, as it made them finally make the offer it would take for him to get his large cut of a 9 year contract.

It isn’t unusual for clubs to go for the same players. 

I don’t see it as a big deal, we know why these players signed for them and not Liverpool. It is what it is. Money in this league is obscene. The fall-out from it is for clicks, attention and ad revenue. Transfer season is bigger than football season for many. 

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 18, 2023, 12:13:33 pm »
I sort of get it now, still feel the income from the sale should be spread as well (unless it comes in cash up front)

It would be even more complex to model future cash flows if a club only pays, say, 75% with some in the future - the reason it is done this way is it is a fact - before the sale, there was a "player asset", worth £X million based on ammortisation, being paid £Ym a year salary; there is then a contractual agreement to sale player to a different club for a total of "£Z million".  The way accounting (should) work is that, based on these events, you report P&L on your accounts - in this case, your wage bill goes down immediately the £Ym a year said player was earning; and the profit/loss on having that asset no longer on your book must be accounted for - and it makes it simpler, regardless of end payment structure, for all concerned to say what we currently do - that profit/loss is Z - X.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #417 on: August 18, 2023, 12:32:29 pm »
The Sky stuff is just the usual stirring shit to get a reaction - they know there are Liverpool fans everywhere, so are just looking for clicks and "engagements". It's fucking annoying but I don't take it personally.

I do agree though, that Chelsea themselves and certain journalists who are friendly to them have been going after us deliberately this window.

As a note on Sky, and they way they report Chelsea stuff. They posted loads of CONFIRMED stories of Chelsea activating Olise's release clause ... pictures of him in a Chelsea kit etc.
Day later, he signs a new deal, it barely got a mention and when it did they said, word for word, 'Chelsea were reportedly interested in him'. I shit you not.

Went from 'CHELSEA ACTIVATE RELEASE CLAUSE'. To 'Chelsea were reportedly interested in him'. Not 'he's turned down the chance to go there'.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2023, 02:45:35 pm »
Reece James possibly out for several months. How people say he's anywhere near Trent when he's never even available
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2023, 02:46:55 pm »
Reece James possibly out for several months. How people say he's anywhere near Trent when he's never even available

No doubt  a great player, but yeah have never reached Trent's levels or have achieved what Trent have. Plus the injury record.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: August 18, 2023, 02:51:51 pm »
He hasn't won any top level individual award in his career and Trent has also won more collective honours (beating him in 3 finals).

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 18, 2023, 03:22:15 pm »
He hasn't won any top level individual award in his career and Trent has also won more collective honours (beating him in 3 finals).

Yes - but he's REECE JAMES - who plays for CHELSEA FOOTBALLWASHING CLUB in LONDON.

It doesn't really matter what Trent has won.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: August 18, 2023, 03:29:51 pm »
No doubt  a great player, but yeah have never reached Trent's levels or have achieved what Trent have. Plus the injury record.

Good player*. He's achieved nothing to be called great. Perpetual sick note and doesn't watch his figure either - wouldn't have so many injuries if he could put down that bowl of ice cream.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: August 18, 2023, 04:11:23 pm »
Imagine spending £1bn and still not having a top striker and a top GK?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #424 on: August 18, 2023, 04:49:39 pm »
Good player*. He's achieved nothing to be called great. Perpetual sick note and doesn't watch his figure either - wouldn't have so many injuries if he could put down that bowl of ice cream.

Not even the best player in his family to paraphrase James Ormond.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2023, 04:49:50 pm »

Or a top RB, any longer.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2023, 06:04:37 pm »

They don't even really have a top center back (Colwill should be good, but he may need a little bit more time to really become dominant), nor wingers or wide forwards/midfielders (now that Nkunku is out)

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2023, 06:59:50 pm »
They have 3 Transfer Window Cups to in the trophy cabinet though
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2023, 09:56:47 pm »
They still haven 't got over the ghost goal. We thought it was just Mourinho but maybe the whole club are still traumatised and their shrink told them to verbalise their trauma and find a target to vanquish. Primal scream at Liverpool, yaaaaagh
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 19, 2023, 07:59:03 am »

Such a weird headline even within the context of them clearly looking for clicks, Mac and Sobossla would tend to be fairly integral parts of any LFC midfield rebuild.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 19, 2023, 08:10:03 am »
Such a weird headline even within the context of them clearly looking for clicks, Mac and Sobossla would tend to be fairly integral parts of any LFC midfield rebuild.

It's because it's also a pun:
 L avia
 F ernandez (Enzo)
 C aicedo

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: August 19, 2023, 08:15:01 am »
Groan, on that note I am going back to bed, clearly it is too early for me.  ;D

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2023, 08:39:32 am »
If you want clicks then you write about LFC or United (preferably in negative terms).

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2023, 09:09:24 am »
If you want clicks then you write about LFC or United (preferably in negative terms).
Yep. (and Arsenal)
The red clubs.

That's why we three get all the sh* when things go awry. Liverpool much more so than United, and Arsenal just in-between.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 09:15:12 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 20, 2023, 06:38:25 pm »
:lmao Perfect example of more money than sense.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2023, 06:40:57 pm »
The lack of quality for all that money spent is insane, would probably have been better off just adding 4 top players to what they already had, instead they've just filled the squad with about 50 ok players. They really need Nkunku to be special and not yet another attacking flop for them.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #436 on: August 20, 2023, 06:41:30 pm »
Awww... did we lose already? In spectacular fashion?
I thought we were going to go places under Pochettino?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 20, 2023, 06:47:28 pm »
Mudryk debut in league. What a glorious five minutes Chelsea supporters must have had thinking they had someone special.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2023, 06:48:40 pm »
Mudryk debut in league. What a glorious five minutes Chelsea supporters must have had thinking they had someone special.

Was that when he managed to out run 37-year-old Milner? ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2023, 06:50:14 pm »
I was there. Everyone was in stitches every time he got the ball. For Caicedo as well who had a disastrous debut. I was sat next to the away end and it was glorious :D

Transfer window FC.