Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 50786 times)

Pheeny

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #41 on: December 6, 2006, 12:32:54 am »
Brilliant. Spot on, exactly what i was looking for. Cheers mate..
JFT96

Pheeny

« Reply #42 on: December 6, 2006, 11:05:35 am »
Brilliant. Spot on, exactly what i was looking for. Cheers mate..
google is wonderful ;)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #43 on: December 6, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline FTW

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 6, 2006, 08:49:16 pm »

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #45 on: December 7, 2006, 02:04:35 am »
« Last Edit: December 7, 2006, 02:08:49 am by sull14 »
JFT96

Offline Finnred

• Anny Roader
  • "Life sucks and then you fucking die"
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2006, 05:23:01 pm »
Absolutely amazing series.
PSN : finnred

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 01:20:19 am »
this thread inspired me to buy the DVDs.  Just came from Amazon today   :thumbup  Long night ahead  ;D

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 03:18:17 am »
You wont regret it, money well spent!
JFT96

Offline Finnred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 05:37:04 pm »
Have watched it many times, never get bored.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:49 am »
Best.. Show.. EVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1qfIsINh8

:D

Watching that makes me want to watch the whole series again. Brilliant stuff.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
Finished watching the DVD box set a few weeks ago. Brilliant series.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:26 pm »
Apart from it being such an excellent series, I think its ultimate strength was in the final interviews with the actual ones.  That separated it from superbly created suppostion (as in so many films) into the true reality of the people who were physically there.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:11 pm »
Well said Maggie. The series re-enacts Easy company's feats and their heroism. Real people  with incredible stories to tell.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2007, 01:55:39 pm »
Thank you Red.   Greatly appreciated.   :wave   It is a pity that nobody has been arsed to do a similar "up close and personal" one with our own.  The yanks (brave as they were) were not alone on D Day. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 02:14:27 pm »
One of the best TV shows ever. Bastogne is my favourite epsiode.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 02:31:49 pm »
A wonedrful, wonderful show.  And as you say Maggie the interviews with the surviving members of Easy Company make it for me.

On another related note a campaign is underway in the States to see Major (then finally Colonel) Dick Winters receive the Medal of Honor for his assualt on the gun battery on D-Day before his death.  His leadership and exploits that day originally earned him the highest award in the US military but because there was a policy of one Medal of Honor per unit it was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross as another officer was already awarded the Medal of Honor. 

His tactics that day are apparently still being taught to young officers.  (I don't know if this is true).

However, I regard Major Dick Winters as an amazing man, a fantastic leader, very brave and like all real heroes extremely humble.  It was him that said he served in a company of heroes.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »
One of the best TV shows ever. Bastogne is my favourite epsiode.

Indeed.   And when you go there you will see a traditional market square (car park in centre normally), selling tourist food (though there is one excellent charcoutrerie who does not).  And a museum.  And a little similar down the road.   And I see there is some form of a shoddy tour.  And a tourist information centre in the square which does fuck all leaflets in English given the blood price for which is was spoken.   

But hey.   This was only last week.   Perhaps they'll crank up the marketing come the Tourist Season.   Just like we have observed how the only street up to the Menin Gate in Ypres has remarkably done so well in the last few years.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 02:57:20 pm »
I watched the whole series through last weekend - absolutely brilliant. (I may have posted this last week but it is such a great piece of story telling it deserves saying again).
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »
A wonedrful, wonderful show.  And as you say Maggie the interviews with the surviving members of Easy Company make it for me.

On another related note a campaign is underway in the States to see Major (then finally Colonel) Dick Winters receive the Medal of Honor for his assualt on the gun battery on D-Day before his death.  His leadership and exploits that day originally earned him the highest award in the US military but because there was a policy of one Medal of Honor per unit it was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross as another officer was already awarded the Medal of Honor. 

His tactics that day are apparently still being taught to young officers.  (I don't know if this is true).

However, I regard Major Dick Winters as an amazing man, a fantastic leader, very brave and like all real heroes extremely humble.  It was him that said he served in a company of heroes.

Can you indulge me please?  I would indeed wish to endorse your post in detail on such a memarkable man.   But I am one of a Band of Brothers now, who are engaged in responding urgently to matters which touch graviously upon and insult our own by the vermin (see main LFC Mackenzie main sticky thread), two of which are immient.   

My apologies if my response lacks grace.   

Can I please ask you, when this current vile business is done, that we speak again to properly honour a brave man.   

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2007, 03:50:32 pm »
I signed a petition not too long ago to try and get Winters the medal of honour, hes fully deserves it and more! BoB is an absolutely amazing series and puts you through the whole range of emotions.  After watching that i went and bought loads of Ambrose books (the series was an adaption of his book Band of Brothers), deffo buy them if you come across them.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 04:15:01 pm »
Can you indulge me please?  I would indeed wish to endorse your post in detail on such a memarkable man.   But I am one of a Band of Brothers now, who are engaged in responding urgently to matters which touch graviously upon and insult our own by the vermin (see main LFC Mackenzie main sticky thread), two of which are immient.  

My apologies if my response lacks grace.  

Can I please ask you, when this current vile business is done, that we speak again to properly honour a brave man.  

Your response never lacks grace Maggie and I applaud the work you are currently regarding the toad that is McKenzie.

A website has been created www.majordickwinters.com that is supporting a campaign for him.  I believe that the Winters family are supporting this campaign.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 05:13:14 pm »
Your response never lacks grace Maggie and I applaud the work you are currently regarding the toad that is McKenzie.

A website has been created www.majordickwinters.com that is supporting a campaign for him.  I believe that the Winters family are supporting this campaign.

Thank you.   From you, that means a great deal.

Just very briefly.  In the British Armed Forces the criteria for the award of medals at this extreme level is for high acts of valour in a precise engagement or engagemenents and is absolute and precise, and has been set in stone for hundreds of years. 

Out of respect for you Dick.   

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:18:15 pm by Maggie May »

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2007, 05:24:37 pm »
Ronald Speirs passed away at the begining of this week:

Memorial page

Rest in peace fella, you earned it.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline FTW

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2007, 05:26:01 pm »
Damn..

R.I.P. Seemed a true hero.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2007, 08:17:58 pm »
Rest in peace Ronald Spiers.  You were a very special man.

Dick.  I'm sorry it took this thread being brought forward for such a tragic reason but well done Dava for thinking of Ron and posting the sad news.

Its quiet on the vermin front for a bit.  Perhaps we can take Major Dick Winters' campaign further forward now.  :wave
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:21:08 pm by Maggie May »

Offline Big Tall Man

• Legacy Fan
  • In this moment i like it in this forum, for sure
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2007, 02:41:39 am »
Have both the Stephen Ambrose book and Dick Winters' memoirs.  Fascinating insight into heroes and a book from a man who is refreshingly humble and self effacing, given the magnitude of the events which he reports.  In the culture of anyone who can whistle or chew gum and walk at the same time putting out an autobiography bragging, this is a truly remarkable read. It certainly puts into perspective some of the good old fashioned values that our modern society seems bereft of.   

RIP Ronald Speirs- I for one am truly grateful for the sacrifice that he and countless thousands of all nationalities made on my behalf.
Rafa on THAT half time talk.  Language barriers aside, the greatest modesty and understatement in football history!!!

' We had been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe we score things would be different and we scored and it was different'

Offline Finnred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2007, 06:43:30 am »
Bought me the dvd´s also.
Great value for money.

Pheeny

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 02:49:47 pm »
Can someone who's got the Box set make a copy of the last  (6th)DVD. The one with the interviews etc.PM me :wave

now sorted, by you know  ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:46:18 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2007, 03:11:05 pm »
Ronald Speirs passed away at the begining of this week:

Memorial page

Rest in peace fella, you earned it.

Gutted.  :(

I'm sure he was the hero he was portrayed to be - and more.

R.I.P

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2007, 03:18:55 pm »
I didnt know that! :( I had him (the actor actually) in my avatar for about 3-4 months and i took it off last week. He was only 9 days away from his 87 (i think) birthday.

Rest in peace
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2007, 04:03:50 pm »
Just to let everyone know (if you don't already) that Spielberb is making a "follow up" to this called "The Pacific War."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 04:30:39 pm »
Just to let everyone know (if you don't already) that Spielberb is making a "follow up" to this called "The Pacific War."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/

can't wait.

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2007, 04:34:19 pm »
Ach.  Bad typo there by me.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2007, 04:44:30 pm »
I thought they had cancelled production on his next series? May be i was wrong. Release date there says 2009 so anything can happen between now and then. Lets hope it follows through

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2007, 05:50:51 pm »
How many series are there? watched the first three episodes on that virgin thingy and it seems good
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2007, 10:14:11 pm »
How many series are there? watched the first three episodes on that virgin thingy and it seems good

10 Episodes + 1 Extras DVD

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2007, 11:28:44 pm »

do they have band of brothers on virgin tv on demand or whatever its called ?

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 08:41:53 am »
yes phil they do

ive never seen the first one before which is a surprise , only got the first 3 episodes which is a shame

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 08:43:45 am »
National geographic have been re-showing the whole series,i had forgotten what a brilliant series it was. Damian Lewis is astounding, even manages to do a passable yank accent.
One to keep on my sky+ planner methinks.

Was good

Funny though because according to most yank films the British or British Colony forces were never involved in World War II - only the Yanks, the Russians, Japanese and the Germans (You can understand the lack of participation of the Italian and French forces in the films as the high-speed cameras to film their mass departures weren't invented)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.