Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 587031 times)

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8000 on: July 17, 2021, 09:35:24 pm »
The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It was perfect for my currently somewhat fragile state of mind. Funny, witty and relatively short. I loved the main characters, including the Luggage.  Going to dive into the Discworld this summer and see how far I get.

You're in for a treat. I think the series improves after the first couple of books, as it goes from Fantasy parody to satirizing and parodying pretty much everything.

To jump on Sangria's comment, I'm one of those who think Night Watch is the best, but they're all pretty good.
I did find there was a slight decline in the last few - possibly Pratchett's Alzheimer's sadly having an effect.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8001 on: July 17, 2021, 09:45:45 pm »
You're in for a treat. I think the series improves after the first couple of books, as it goes from Fantasy parody to satirizing and parodying pretty much everything.

To jump on Sangria's comment, I'm one of those who think Night Watch is the best, but they're all pretty good.
I did find there was a slight decline in the last few - possibly Pratchett's Alzheimer's sadly having an effect.

From Snuff onwards, it was more and more narration and less and less characterisation. I'm pretty sure it was the Alzheimer's, but even so the imagination (especially in Raising Steam) was wonderful. And as Gaiman related, Pratchett with Alzheimer's was still a level above most other people (Gaiman included) without.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #8002 on: July 18, 2021, 08:38:09 pm »
Sorry, no i've never read discworld.  I'm a bit nerdy, but i'm not a full nerd.
dios esta buena

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8003 on: July 19, 2021, 05:11:25 am »
'Newton and the Counterfeiter' by Thomas Levenson.

After becoming famous throughout Europe for his theories of planetary motion, gravity and optics Newton left his role as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics to take up a potentially lucrative position in the Royal Mint.

This position required him to not only make the manufacture of coin more efficient, which he did with scientific efficiency, he also had to deter or capture anyone who dared to clip or counterfeit the coinage.

He undertook this new challenge with a relish tracking, arresting and prosecuting dozens of coiners and counterfeiters.

A real insight into one of our polymaths and a great account of late 17th century politics and 'justice'.

Ah, Newton, the possible plagiarist. Leibniz is the true father of calculus (in the modern sense - it was really just a development of existing maths, which is how maths develops). Newton claimed he came up with it first, but he just forgot to publish his discoveries for a while... Then he accused Leibniz of stealing his ideas even though Leibniz published decades earlier. The controversy actually stalled mathematics in Britain for a while. The supposedly neutral report on the matter that found Leibniz “guilty” turned out to be written by Newton, and then Newton lied about why he didn’t use modern analysis in Principia Philosophiae, and used synthetic geometry instead. The real reason was because he hadn’t mastered Leibniz’s discovery and his understanding of analysis was still weak.  He reverted to the old ways.

Newton was somewhat a plagiarist. He just had more powerful allies to fight his battles. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8004 on: July 19, 2021, 08:10:05 am »
Been on a geopolitics buzz recently:

On China - Henry Kissinger: An interesting portrait of the dynamic between China and America, focusing on Mao's rule right through to the present day. My main takeaway from the book was how China has been the most dominant civilisation for the majority of the past 2,000 years, so it's more recent flourishing shouldn't come as any surprise. Also that a lot of its downfall in the past 300 years is down to Europeans (more specifically the British). I've been informed since reading the Kissinger is a war criminal and his work should be taken with a grain of salt but for me there are very few westerners as close to the significant world transitions during that time so it's an important document.

Behold, America - Sarah Churchwell - I bought this from an actual bookshop a few weeks ago, amazing right? This focuses on the use in American politics of 2 phrases: the American Dream and America First. It analyses how the meaning of these phrases have changed over time. With America First having more sinister connotations. I was not aware how prominent the KKK were in the 1900's, right up to sympathisers in the highest office. That goes for Trump too, his and his family history is sleazy when it comes to examples of racism, I'm now convinced he's a white supremacist.

After the Fall - Ben Rhodes. This may be the best of the bunch. Starts off in Hungary and Russia and then focuses on China and Hong Kong. It explains how the failed democratic governments of the 90's (Hungary and Russia) have morphed into authoritarian regimes. Shows how it could happen around the world and has made me think twice about how fragile political systems are and how easily people can be convinced to give their rights away. I'm not finished it yet but highly recommended.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8005 on: July 19, 2021, 08:42:46 am »
From Snuff onwards, it was more and more narration and less and less characterisation. I'm pretty sure it was the Alzheimer's, but even so the imagination (especially in Raising Steam) was wonderful. And as Gaiman related, Pratchett with Alzheimer's was still a level above most other people (Gaiman included) without.

I agree with Night Watch being one of (if not) the best, but love Death series as well, and it becomes apparent that Pratchett obviously had a serious dislike of accountants and auditors in his life 😂

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:38:16 pm by Ginamos »

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #8007 on: July 21, 2021, 10:10:48 pm »
Sorry, no i've never read discworld.  I'm a bit nerdy, but i'm not a full nerd.

Liar!
dios esta buena

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8009 on: July 22, 2021, 08:24:21 am »
I got round to reading "The Queen`s Gambit" by Walter Tevis. I was utterly ignorant that he also wrote "The Hustler", "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and "The Color of Money". If you`ve seen the tv show there are very few differences between this and it. It is a delight to read whether you have any interest in chess at all, the games play out like any other sports drama. It was written in 1983, but has that 50s feel and style of "The Hustler". One issue i did have was that of him (an older man) writing the experiences of the child Beth Harmon, call it artistic licence but I`m not sure it rang true.

I read that one recently too. A really good book. The Netflix series stays faithful to the source material and it's a solid adaptation.

I also read Stephen King's 11.22.63 which was not a typical King horror story. It's more a science fiction or time travel novel with a healthy dose of romance. I really enjoyed it despite its length. The TV series was not as impressive. Huge chunks of the novel were altered or chopped which really made no sense and James Franco never really convinces as Jake Epping. Definitely read the book first.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8010 on: July 22, 2021, 10:10:21 am »
The Russian Affair: The True Story of the Couple who Uncovered the Greatest Sporting Scandal - David Walsh
Billion Dollar Loser: The Epic Rise and Fall of WeWork - Reeves Wiedeman

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8011 on: July 25, 2021, 01:25:30 pm »
I am over half way through the Secret Commonwealth and it's been a book which has courted controversy in some quarters, but I have to say it's incredibly well written so far. It also takes me back to being that age, when you are approaching adult-hood and how everything is so confusing as you search for your place in the world. I also have to say he has an impressive way of seeing things in a female perspective for a man as well. Either way, it's a brilliant read and I'm loving the way it fits into the original trilogy. Though the "romance" with Malcolm needs to disappear though, that's the one thing I'm not happy with.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8012 on: July 25, 2021, 01:29:25 pm »
I am over half way through the Secret Commonwealth and it's been a book which has courted controversy in some quarters, but I have to say it's incredibly well written so far. It also takes me back to being that age, when you are approaching adult-hood and how everything is so confusing as you search for your place in the world. I also have to say he has an impressive way of seeing things in a female perspective for a man as well. Either way, it's a brilliant read and I'm loving the way it fits into the original trilogy. Though the "romance" with Malcolm needs to disappear though, that's the one thing I'm not happy with.
Why is is controversial?  (I know nothing about it!)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8013 on: July 25, 2021, 01:31:38 pm »
Why is is controversial?  (I know nothing about it!)

Spoiler
There is a rape scene described that a number of people have taken issue with. Someone spoilt that for me as it comes at the end of the book.
[close]

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8014 on: July 25, 2021, 01:33:16 pm »
Spoiler
There is a rape scene described that a number of people have taken issue with. Someone spoilt that for me as it comes at the end of the book.
[close]
I see.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8015 on: July 26, 2021, 12:32:58 pm »
Finished War Lord last night, the thirteenth book in Bernard Cornwells series about Britain.

Loved it. Uhtred is one of my favourite fictional characters. I was almost shouting out for him at one point. I believe there is one more series of the tv show to come as well

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8016 on: July 26, 2021, 12:36:14 pm »
Finished War Lord last night, the thirteenth book in Bernard Cornwells series about Britain.

Loved it. Uhtred is one of my favourite fictional characters. I was almost shouting out for him at one point. I believe there is one more series of the tv show to come as well

He also did three books on the Arthurian legend which were really good as well. He is an interesting writer.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8017 on: July 26, 2021, 01:28:10 pm »
He also did three books on the Arthurian legend which were really good as well. He is an interesting writer.

Yes, love all his works. Grail quest is another good tetralogy. He also has a final Sharpe coming out in September.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8018 on: July 26, 2021, 04:57:09 pm »
Yes, love all his works. Grail quest is another good tetralogy. He also has a final Sharpe coming out in September.

I haven't read any of his Sharpe novels, but the Arthur ones I really enjoyed right up there with my all time favourite Grail trilogy by Mary Stewart.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8019 on: July 26, 2021, 04:59:46 pm »
In my mind the Flashman novels and the Sharp novels have become entirely intertwined.

Which is a little unfortunate
W

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8020 on: July 26, 2021, 05:05:35 pm »
The Drop, by Dennis Lehane. Made into a movie with James Gandolfini, although I believe the movie is set in Brooklyn, whereas Lehane set his story in his native Boston.

The Drop is an expansion/novelization of a short story Lehane wrote and published, but doesn't feel like it's lacking in depth or detail.

Well worth the read if you enjoy Lehane or Boston-based thriller lit. Typical Lehane characters dealing with loss in a Boston gentrifying into something unknown and impenetrable.

Plus, there's a dog...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #8021 on: July 26, 2021, 07:29:17 pm »
I picked up that "Sapiens" book that pops up everywhere.

I better understand the entire history of humanity by the end or I'll want a refund.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8022 on: July 27, 2021, 09:02:31 am »

"Once upon a time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino.

I really enjoyed this. It`s essentially the same story as the movie, but he plays with the timeline of events and the emphases too. For example, the spectacular ending of the movie is dealt with in a couple of paragraphs about a third of the way in to the book. There are nice enhancements to backstories and whole new stories. Bare feet are mentioned, a lot. There`s also QT delving into his movie-geekdom on many occasions which had me reaching for IMDb. He even gives himself a cameo. Recommended.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #8023 on: July 27, 2021, 10:51:30 am »
A Promised Land by Barack Obama

Currently just over half way . No expert on critiquing a book I’ll just say I’m really enjoying it and a great insight to America politics. Recommend it definitely
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8024 on: July 28, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
"Once upon a time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino.

I really enjoyed this. It`s essentially the same story as the movie, but he plays with the timeline of events and the emphases too. For example, the spectacular ending of the movie is dealt with in a couple of paragraphs about a third of the way in to the book. There are nice enhancements to backstories and whole new stories. Bare feet are mentioned, a lot. There`s also QT delving into his movie-geekdom on many occasions which had me reaching for IMDb. He even gives himself a cameo. Recommended.

I picked this up from Waterstones over the weekend, going to start it after finishing Margaret Atwood's The Testaments (which is fantastic). I wasn't a huge fan of the film, it was enjoyable enough, but kinda throwaway, I've heard good things about the novelisation though.  I also bought Ballard's Crash at the same time.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8025 on: July 28, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »
Starve Acre by Andrew Michael Hurley

I was looking forward to the premise "a broody horror about a couple dealing with Grief while living on the Moors"

Shocked I got all the way through. Probably because it's only short.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8026 on: July 28, 2021, 06:53:23 pm »
The last book? I plan to read more!

Do you know something I don't?  :-X

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8027 on: July 29, 2021, 11:51:50 am »
Have been finding it a bit hard to get back into reading. Used to love to read. Was on the 8th book (I think) of the Wheel of Time, when I stopped. Any suggestions on what could help?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8028 on: July 29, 2021, 04:26:02 pm »
In my mind the Flashman novels and the Sharp novels have become entirely intertwined.

Which is a little unfortunate

Are you interested in Warhammer 40k? If so, the Commissar Cain novels are inspired by Flashman. Repetitive if you read them one after another, but amusingly light-hearted compared with the Grimdark of the overall 'verse.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8029 on: July 29, 2021, 04:29:23 pm »
Are you interested in Warhammer 40k? If so, the Commissar Cain novels are inspired by Flashman. Repetitive if you read them one after another, but amusingly light-hearted compared with the Grimdark of the overall 'verse.
War hammer….

Oh no, the shops that sell that sort of stuff are much too weird for me…. ;D
W

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8030 on: July 29, 2021, 04:45:01 pm »
War hammer….

Oh no, the shops that sell that sort of stuff are much too weird for me…. ;D

I get them online.

OTOH, if you are interested in war memoirs, "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser is supposed to be one of the best, and certainly one of very few from the Burma campaign.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8031 on: July 29, 2021, 05:18:29 pm »
I get them online.

OTOH, if you are interested in war memoirs, "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser is supposed to be one of the best, and certainly one of very few from the Burma campaign.

His fictional war memoirs - The Complete McAuslan is good as well.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #8032 on: July 30, 2021, 09:06:50 pm »
Do you ever read an answer in a book to a question you have been thinking about? 
dios esta buena

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8033 on: July 30, 2021, 10:15:21 pm »
Audiobook i didn't read it but just finished Scott Sigler's Novel based on the Alien universe, Aliens: Phalanx.

Amazing novel, a world populated by Humans and Xenomorphs, and the Human population only have weapons of Swords, Spears and Crossbows

I have another audiobook based on the Alien Universe called Aliens: Isolation by Keith R. A. DeCandido, be starting that next.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8034 on: July 30, 2021, 10:47:05 pm »
Do you ever read an answer in a book to a question you have been thinking about? 

Rarely. In the internet age, if I have a specific question, I google the answer. Books are more for exploring interesting areas where I don't know where to start. Eg. two of my favourite books are "Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy" by John R Hale, and "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" by Jack Weatherford. Both involve areas I'm interested in, ancient Greece and Mongolia, but both explore their subjects where I wouldn't have had the slightest clue where to begin.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8035 on: August 1, 2021, 03:08:04 pm »
Got through a few books lately:

Deliverance by James Dickey - Was pretty good. Was expecting a little more though, perhaps too much in the end. When the action got going the suspense was very effective, I just had a hard time getting a feel for the characters and couldn't quite see the setting in my mind either. Dickey is a noted poet so might give some of that a go.   

Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton - Debut novel from an Aussie writer, previous life as a journo for a couple of papers here and The Australian Magazine. Story is centred on two kids growing up in 1980s Brisbane on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak. The book shines brightest when it's about the relationships between the two boys and the various crims that are part of their circle. Has dashes of Magical Realism in it but nothing too overbearing. Lost its way a little at the end with the path the plot takes but is compulsively readable and relatable (to an Aussie like me anyway) and is drawn from Trent's real life experiences as a kid. Look up Slim Halliday if you're interested :)

Outline by Rachel Cusk - Jam packed with elegant prose and insights which just stop you on the page. It is unconventional in plot (there really isn't any) and structure (it is structured with one narrator who has 10 conversations) but rises above those ostensible cosntraints to just be one of the most brilliant books I've read in a while. Is part of a trilogy and I'm waiting on delivery of the other two. Can't wait.

The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers - I just love McCullers work so much. She just has a way of describing things that is so beautiful without going crazy over the top with it. Sits just below Heart is a Lonely Hunter for mine but memorable in its own right and for anyone interested in McCullers and her work it is required reading.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8036 on: August 1, 2021, 05:15:33 pm »

Not sure about giving an actual answer to a question, but they can help you face certain things I think. I would say after reading the Amber Spyglass for the first time, it helped me get over my fear of thinking about dying. It was one thing which I hated even thinking about, but it's dealt with in such a lovely way, it actually changed the way I think about it now.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8037 on: August 1, 2021, 06:00:44 pm »
Not sure about giving an actual answer to a question, but they can help you face certain things I think. I would say after reading the Amber Spyglass for the first time, it helped me get over my fear of thinking about dying. It was one thing which I hated even thinking about, but it's dealt with in such a lovely way, it actually changed the way I think about it now.

No longer afraid to hop on the bike during the gales? Nice one... :D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8038 on: August 1, 2021, 06:01:25 pm »
No longer afraid to hop on the bike during the gales? Nice one... :D

I was never afraid of that, to be fair.  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8039 on: August 1, 2021, 06:02:23 pm »
I was never afraid of that, to be fair.  ;D

just sort of a locational hazard, I suppose... :wave